Strange Love

Strange Love

Strange Love

1908

Late at night, they carried the coffin to the cliff.

One priest and five men from the House of Hearts, the most powerful family of demon’s hunters, were there, carrying black candles as a sign of victory over hell.

"May all evil be sealed from humanity." The priest said, raising his hand.

The men pushed the coffin to the cliff. It fell into the sea, submerging and resting on the bottom of the ocean.

They stared at each other.

The most powerful demon was finally locked.

—-

2018

Your father stopped in front of the school.

"Good studies. Don’t forget to make friends, alright?"

"I’ll try." You said, holding your books.

"Okay, see you later, angel."

You smiled at your father and left the car.

Only God knew how much you hated school and that, in fact, you had zero friends. The place was full of bullies and your introverted personality made them laugh at you everyday.

No one knew how lonely and hurt you were.

But something was about to change.

You were crossing the lockers corridor, before the first class, when one of the bullies slightly pushed you.

"Freak." The bully said. "You need a ."

The bully and his friends laughed at that. You closed your eyes, thanking God you didn’t have a gun with you. Otherwise, you would shot in the head of those creatures.

"Apologize!" You heard someone’s voice.

You opened your eyes.

One of the students from the last year was right behind the bully, holding the guy’s shoulder.

"Apologize to her. Or you’ll be in trouble." He repeated, coldly. His eyes were also cold, empty, threatening.

"I’m sorry." The bully said. "I was wrong."

"Say you won’t bother her again." The senior student said.

"I promise I won’t."

"Now you should just disappear." The older student said to the bully and, as impossible as it seemed, the bully walked away. And that was the last time you saw that guy and his friends. Next day, they simply didn’t come back to school. People said they had moved to a different city, but no one knew for sure.

You looked at the senior student.

"How did you do that? How did you make him apologize to me so easily?"

"That is the good side of being a senior student."

"Oh… What is your name?" You asked.

"Himchan."

—-

Over months, you and Himchan became friends.

After class, you would always go to the school’s library, where Himchan helped you with history and math. But you had to admit, most of the time you would just have fun, talking and searching for funny things on the internet.

"Hey, let’s play a game!?" Himchan said, closing his book.

"What?"

"I ask you somethings about myself; if you answer it right, I’ll do anything you ask. But, if you fail, you have to do anything I ask."

“If I win, I’ll ask you to be my slave for one day.”

Himchan laughed.

"I have to win, then."

"You start."

"Okay." Himchan said. "What is my favorite movie genre?"

"I’ll say… horror."

Himchan seemed surprised.

"You got it right. One point for you, zero for me. Now, your time to ask."

"What is my favorite flower?"

Himchan thought for a while and answered it right.

"Wow, impressive. This is my favorite flower. Looks like we know each other pretty well."

But, at the end of the game, Himchan won.

"Please, don’t be mean to your friend." You said, waiting for the verdict.

"You have to…"

"Yes?"

"You have to…" Himchan said, smiling. "Kiss me?"

You stared at him, not sure if he was playing or being serious. At last, Himchan laughed.

"Don’t worry, I’m jok…"

But you kissed him before he said he was joking. You wanted that kiss, since the first minut you saw him. Himchan kissed you back, opening his lips. You felt numbness through your whole body. It all became black, as if you were sleeping, but still awake.

Right there.

That was Himchan’s revenge on the House of Hearts.

They had locked him for a century, in that coffin, and he had finally escaped from that nightmare. Now it was his time to attack. And you, the youngest member of the House of Hearts, were the perfect prey. The moment he kissed you, he stole your soul.

If anyone hurt him, you would feel the pain. If anyone tried to kill him, you would die in his place.

—-

Himchan had planned to expose himself to the House of Hearts right after stealing your soul He wanted them all to see his little practical joke. But, instead of following the plan, he found himself doing the same old thing: Going to school, taking ice cream with you in the break times, teaching you history and math, learning about internet, going to the movie theater together…

You were too amusing.

Himchan liked the company of that little demon’s hunter. He thought he was only interested in the excitement of being friends with a demon hunter. Big mistake. He was blind to the unnatural feeling growing in his soul.

"Did you like the movie?" You asked, walking out of the movie theater.

"Terrible screenplay, weak plot, terrible actors and boring end." Himchan said, shaking his head.

“Is there something you liked about it?” You laughed.

 

"The ending credits."

You laughed again.

"I love you, silly."

Hearing you say “I love you”, Himchan felt a heavy pain on his chest. He wanted to hear that again. He held your hand. Letting the laughter die, you looked at him.

"Himchan?"

It felt like the time had stopped. And he kissed you. This time, for real. Not for the revenge, but for your beautiful eyes looking at him, for your voice calling his name. For your soft lips on his, and your perfume. For the desire and for the love.

"Damn, what did you do to me?" He whispered to himself.

"What?"

Himchan kissed you again. His soul burning for you.

—-

When your father receiver a red envelope in his mailbox, he knew something bad was about to happen.

The last assembly of the House of Heart had happened fifty years ago, he was a boy when that happened. The number of demons had decreased since the demon prince was locked in that coffin… and, so, the number of hunters also decreased. He wished you would never know about the family business, but the red envelope scared him.

The assembly happened in an abandoned factory, owned by one of the family members.

inline_photo.png?2

"I have terrible news to tell you tonight." The master of the House of Hearts said.

All the hunters seemed terrified, including your father’s brother, uncle Steve.

"The demon prince." Master said. "His coffin has been unlocked."

All the members spoke at the same time, asking question, praying to God or simply mumbling how terrified they were.

"It’s a matter of time until he strikes back at the House of Hearts."The Master spoke, silencing the members. "We need to act fast. He must be weak after one hundred years being locked, but he will regain his power and he will bring demons back to Earth. He is a demon prince, he is the portal between this world and the underworld. We must kill him before it’s too late. His heart must be weak, one shot will kill it for sure."

—-

The last party of the school would be a mask ball.

Right after arriving, the loud music and the crowd made you leave the gym, walking to the school playground. Since the kiss, Himchan was always absent from school. You hoped he would appear at the party. He had to.

The playground was empty, but, when you turned to go back to the gym, someone was behind you. You recognized him right away, even through the mask.

"Himchan." You said.

"Hey."

"Running away from the party too?" You asked, smiling.

"Terrible setting, bad music choice, disgusting food and too many uninteresting people."

You laughed.

"Is there something good about it?"

"Yes."

He smiled and opened his arms.

"Wanna dance?"

"There is no music here."

"I can sing, if that is the problem."

You smiled as he started whispering a song. You accepted his hand and danced with him. Resting your head in his should felt so right. Damn, you loved him. Himchan was your first love.

"I came to say goodbye." But he said.

"What!?" You stopped dancing.

He smiled, touching your hair.

"When father sent me to Earth, he told me to find something worth fighting for. It took me so long, but I finally understand."

"What are you talking about?"

He leaned at you, but a scream interrupted the moment.

"Get away from him, angel."

It was you father.

He was holding a gun straight at the Himchan. Behind him was your uncle Steve.

"NO." Himchan shout, knowing that one bullet in his heart would kill you.

But it was too late.

When the shot was heard, a terrible pain in the heart made you fall into Himchan’s arms. His revenge had betrayed him in the most bitter way.

"NO." Himchan cried, even though demons weren’t supposed to have tears. "It can’t be. It can’t be."

"I love you, silly." You said, slowly losing conscience.

Your father’s terrified eyes witnessed the death of his daughter as you closed yours.

"And I love you." Himchan whispered, kissing your lips.

Now he was witnessing the death of a demon prince, giving it’s soul to a human through a kiss. He had never seen an act of kindness from a demon, much less an act of love. For short second, the demon prince true form appeared… black wings, long hair, red eyes and a crown of bones. The most beautiful sight. When Himchan completely disappeared into the air, you opened your eyes.

"My angel." You father rushed to you, holding you with care.

"What happened? Where am I?"

"Don’t you remember?"

"No."

You had lost all your memories of Himchan… even though, somehow, you felt him in your heart.

"Nothing happened." You father said. "You just slipped and knocked your head on the floor. Let’s take you to the hospital, shall we?"

The nature, mourning the death of a royal creature from the underworld, made it snow that night.