Epilogue: Monday (Part 1)

I Knew You Were Trouble
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

5 Years Later

Monday

“Gang and crime ring leader Bang Shihyuk was found dead on the banks of Han River last night around 2 a.m. by a young couple who had been passing by the area. There is a gunshot wound to his head but other than that, there is no other physical harm on his body indicating he was involved in a gang fight. The Seoul Investigation Unit is on the scene, searching for any evidence of a gang fight. According to the autopsy team, Bang Shihyuk’s corpse seems to be several days old. They found evidence of drugs in his bloodstream but not enough to kill him. They are leaning towards suicide as the most likely reason for his death. Bang Shihyuk was a long wanted criminal after his crimes were exposed 3 years ago by an anonymous tip to the Seoul Police Force. His accomplices at the time, namely ex-police officer Ok Taecyeon and several others, were taken into custody before being sentenced to prison, with regular visits to a mental health facility…”

At the mention of Taecyeon, Jisoo turned away from the TV, sick to her stomach. Her hand shook slightly as she lowered the remote down to the table. Her head was spinning with this new information. Wasn’t this what she wanted to hear for the past 5 years? For the past several years, she had been waiting.

Waiting like she always did for him.

Her phone began to ring, startling her and she pressed the ‘answer’ button before holding it up to her ear.

“Hello?” She asked timidly.

“Did you see the news?!” Sujin asked frantically and Jisoo’s heart dropped slightly. Of course it was Sujin. She shouldn’t have expected anything else.

Jisoo swallowed the lump in and answered dejectedly, “Yes…”

There was a slight pause. “Then why do you sound so depressed?”

“They said his body was a few days old,” Jisoo repeated. “If the boys got rid of him days ago, then why…” She trailed off but the question was obvious.

Why wasn’t he searching for her?

“Jisoo,” Sujin started seriously, “You have to give him more time. He just spent five years chasing after a man even the police couldn’t find. He’s probably worn out and weary. Also… think about it, Jisoo. He hasn’t seen you in five years. He doesn’t know what you’re doing, where you’re living, how you are. For all he knows, you could have gotten married and be living happily with children. He’s scared.”

The notion of Taehyung being scared was foreign to Jisoo and she voiced her opinions. “He’s not scared, Sujin. He’s never scared.”

“He’s scared of losing you.”

There was a pregnant pause as Jisoo let the words sink in. When she didn’t speak, Sujin continued, “He’s scared you’ve forgotten him. He’s scared you’ve moved on. You’re the only thing that makes him feel scared.”

“I have to go,” Jisoo croaked out. She quickly hung up and grabbed her purse. Her house felt suffocating and she wanted some fresh air.

Taking in her surroundings, she realized how different it was from five years ago. After Taehyung left her at the hospital, Jisoo decided to pack

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter