Chapter 3

The Great Story

                We all know that in the entertainment industry, beauty is everything. Of course, they will always say things like ‘beauty is only skin deep’ or ‘beauty is second to talent’ or ‘everyone is beautiful’. But the sad, realistic truth is that a beautiful person is always preferred, or at least gets a better head start. This fact could not be any more prominent than in the South Korean entertainment industry, where they have a smorgasbord of some of the most beautiful people who dress and style themselves impeccably.

                But what happens when beauty, the one and only thing a certain model has, is suddenly not his best asset?

                Well, let me tell you the story of someone just like that.

                The first day Oh Sehun appeared in my life was on my second day of work. I was sent to Magix Photo Studio, where BxL was having their photo shoot to pick up some shots of the boys. I didn’t get to see BxL immediately, because just one floor below them another shoot was going on.

                “Okay boys, tuck in those stomachs.” I heard the photographer say. “Think beach. Think hot ladies. Think y. Think pay check after this shoot.”

                It was a beach wear photo shoot. Oh Sehun caught my attention because he was the one at the far corner. He was very handsome. A long, angular face with blonde hair and a lean body. He was lying on his back, propped up by his elbows as he posed in the beach shorts, flip-flops and a pair of sunglasses on top of his head. The models stood up as they posed for the next shot. That was when I realized he paled in comparison to the other models that were taller, more muscular, had more striking features and different coloured eyes and gorgeous tan skin.

                It was odd. Just when you think someone is handsome, you look around and suddenly you see everyone is more handsome than he is.   

                For all I know, Oh Sehun isn’t someone that would give up easily. Sure, he was ousted to a corner, surrounded by gorgeous bodies. Sure, he was treated as a friend to other models but it was crystal clear he didn’t feel fully comfortable but he had a different look compared to them. He looked like someone who would take a beating several thousands of times and still stand up and march forward.

                Our eyes met somewhere in between me getting on the elevator and him walking past it. I gave him a courteous nod and he nodded back.

                What I didn’t know back then was that he was going to be more involved in my life, and that he would play a huge role in my search for the Great Story.

                There are a few things you should know about him. 1) He was a trainee at Starling Entertainment. 2) He and Luhan are great friends. 3) If he played his cards right, instead of BxL, it would have been SxL (which oddly sounds like a name for a strip club) and most importantly 4) He didn’t play his cards right.           

                Sehun left the company a few months shy of his proposed debut. The news was a shock, since many of the staff and even Kris felt that he had potential, but Sehun felt like he wasn’t cut out for a life as a Kpop star. He left Starling and abandoned all dreams of being a famous star and started from the very bottom, as a model.

                Sehun had always wanted to model. He wanted to walk the runways of international fashion weeks and work with some of the best designers. He didn’t want to be tied down to a company that could or could not give him what he wanted. He wanted to be sure and in control of his career, so that he knew he was steering in the right direction. So with a couple of profile shots and a manager, he started to fight his way to the top. Only to realize that there were a million like-minded souls with even better profile pictures and even better managers and most importantly, better looking.

                “You guys look amazing.” I told Baekhyun and Luhan as I looked at their shots on the computer.

                “But I’m sweating like hell right now.” Luhan said, fanning himself. The studio was stuffy and hot, thanks to the intensely bright lights. Baekhyun handed him an ice cold water bottle and Luhan was guzzled it all down in one shot, like someone who hasn’t drank water for centuries.

                Baekhyun went for a solo shot as Luhan and I stood there watching him. He posed expertly for the camera, giving off a dazzling smile. The photographer praised him and even the female staff seemed to fangirl over him.

                “He’s good.” I whispered to Luhan.

                “Yeah.” He sounded terribly bored.

                “Are you okay?”

                “I’m fine.”

                Liar.

                It was the beginning of a realization that Luhan was secretly jealous of Baekhyun. Luhan had trained for 7 years, working 12 hours a day or more, leaving blood, sweat and tears all over the studio. When he finally made the cut, he was paired with someone who trained for only 2 years and was intensely talented. And charming. And dazzling. And handsome.

                Perhaps Luhan felt inferior to his partner. Perhaps he has always wanted to be his partner. Perhaps it was a case of low self-esteem. Luhan couldn’t quite answer the question himself, but eventually he will find out, and he will learn to regret it.

                “He’s always getting better shots.” Luhan said, wiping his brow.

                “I doubt that. You’re quite handsome yourself.”

                “Yeah.” There goes that tone again. He checked his reflection in the mirror. “I’ve got to get some good ones too.”

                “Good luck.” Luhan and Baekhyun switched positions, giving each other a pat on a back. Baekhyun returned as the staff handed him towels and redid his make up.

                “Luhan looks good doesn’t he?” Baekhyun said, checking on his partner.

                “You guys both look good.” I said, taking the print outs a staff just handed to me.

                “He has those deer-like innocent features.” Baekhyun smiled. “You should see him when we get on stage with the eyeliner and all. I would tap that.”

                “Why don’t you?”

                “Nah, that would be awkward.” Baekhyun laughed and so did I. Baekhyun was really easy to get along with. No wonder the staff liked him.

                “Great job Luhan.” Baekhyun tapped his partner’s back and handed him a towel. Luhan simply smiled, clearly satisfied with his work.

                Then, someone appeared from behind. “Luhan!”

                “Sehun! Hey!” Luhan waved his friend over, and it was the handsome model from downstairs. He came over and they fist bumped each other.

                “How did you know I was here?”

                “The photographer told me. I was doing a beachwear shoot downstairs.”

                “Showing off those chocolate abs?” Luhan teased.

                “It’s beachwear, not underwear.” Sehun nudged.

                “Oh, by the way, you remember Baekhyun my partner right?” Luhan said, pointing to Baekhyun. “This is Yixing, Kris’s new assistant.”

                “Nice to meet you.” We shook hands for the first time. “I guess the old assistant just couldn’t take it anymore eh?”

                “Yeah, she quit after being told off about making his coffee with no sugar.” Baekhyun said and they all laughed. I just stood there frigidly. Oh god, seriously?

                “Don’t worry so much Yixing.” Baekhyun said. “Unlike Mrs. Lee, Kris actually likes you. Has he told you to clean his bathroom yet?”

                I shook my head.

                “Then he likes you indeed.” Baekhun said, giving my arm a squeeze. I couldn’t decide if I should feel comforted or confused.

                “That man is so high maintenance. No wonder he’s still single. Who could put up with his attitude?” Sehun said.

                “If he was a woman, he’d be pregnant.” They all laughed again at Baekhyun’s joke and I cracked a smile myself.

                “Good one Baekhyun!” Sehun high-fived him. Luhan squeezed in between Sehun and Baekhyun. He turned to Sehun and pushed him lightly.

                “Still on for lunch?”

                “Sure. I’ll wait for you downstairs. Baekhyun, do you wanna join us?”

                “No thanks. I have a thing.” Baekhyun shook his head.

                “Yixing?” Luhan asked.

                “I would like to. But today is Wednesday and Wednesday is vegetarian so I have to pick up Kris’s order…” my phone buzzed. I checked it and groaned. “Screw that, he wants a pork chop instead. From Greg’s Bistro. Halfway across Seoul.” God damn it.

                “Good luck.” Sehun smiled and I slumped my shoulders. I grabbed the profile shots, said my goodbyes and left the studio for the damned pork chop. I left the studio and already there are some fans outside. When they heard footsteps coming out, they started cramming the entrance. I nearly jumped out of my skin as I almost crashed into one of the fans.

                “Woah woah! Back up girls! It’s not BxL!” One of the fans said, pushing the girls backward. He had a DSLR camera around his neck as he pushed the fans backwards. He gave me an apologetic smile as I walked out.

                “Hey, I remember you. Aren’t you the guy who almost got his nose broken outside the Starling headquarters?”

                “You’ve seen me?” his eyes widened.

                “Yeah. I work there. What’s your name?”

                “Do Kyungsoo.”

                “I’m Zhang Yixing.” We shook hands and I looked down at the wristband he was wearing. “I’m guessing you are a BxL fan?”

                “Oh yeah. I’m also the president of one of their fansites, Paradise.” He handed me what looks like a name card. DO KYUNGSOO. PRESIDENT OF PARADISE. If that isn’t the coolest title I have ever heard then I don’t know what is.

                “That’s cool. Though I think the boys would appreciate it if you guys would give them some space. It’s not a really good first impression if you were squeezed like a lemon.”

                “Don’t worry. We’ll do just that.”

                “Okay.” I wasn’t that convinced since some girls were already sticking to the glass like lizards but Kyungsoo seemed decent. I quickly left the place. I thought about what Kris told me, that this is a fan’s life.

                What kind of life is that exactly? And why?

                Those are the kind of questions that would be answered in the later future.

                                                                ***************

                As Luhan left for lunch, Baekhyun went back to the dorm. Luhan called him a dorm hermit, since he always seemed to find an excuse to go back, even if it’s only for an hour. Baekhyun dumped his jacket on the sofa and ran straight to his room. He opened his laptop and pressed Skyped. He waited for a few minutes and in came a call.

                “Baekkie….”

                “Hey Yeollie.” Baekhyun smiled affectionately as the screen. A cheerful guy with a bright smile appeared on the screen, his ears sticking out and his smile so wide it would blind you.

                “How’s my baby Baek?”

                “Fine and how’s my Yeollie bear?”

                “That name sounds weird Baek. Not nearly as sweet as my name for you.”

                “You do realize you have one of the strangest names ever. There is hardly anything sweet I can call you.”

                “That’s probably because my name is more y than cute.”

                “.” Baekhyun scolded with a smile.

                Skype calls like this with a certain someone is the reason Baekhyun comes back to the dorm so often. He is in a relationship with Chanyeol, his high school lover. No one knows about this, not even Luhan. He kept the relationship a secret because Kris had forbidden them to date. He was worried about anyone finding out and threatening his relationship, so he had to lie, even to Luhan. There were days when he wished he didn’t have to, but he knew that this was the best way in the long run. It would protect him and most importantly, Chanyeol.

                “Have you had lunch yet?” Chanyeol asked.

                “I’m waiting for my soup to boil. We’re just having leftovers from last night.”

                “You should eat more. You seem to be getting thinner.”

                “I’m supposed to go down a size. I’m preparing for my comeback.”

                “Again?” Chanyeol asked, clearly confused. “But you just made one a few months ago.”

                “Oh you know how it is.” Baekhyun sighed. “Times go on and we have to make one soon or we’ll be forgotten.”

                “Oh god, will you have to stay up late again?”

                “I do have a midnight radio interview today anyways.”

                “I’ll be sure to listen.” Chanyeol smiled. “My students love your music.”

                “How sweet.” Baekhyun smiled. “Is it appropriate to let your under-aged students listen to lyrics like you taste so sweet?”

                “They just assumed that you are singing about lollipops.” Chanyeol cackled. “You should see these kids Baekhyun. Little Yoochun made a move to kiss little Junsu and it was so adorable. The whole class squealed and threw bits of paper as confetti all over the room. It looked like Mardi Gras came and had a 10 minute party before leaving.”

                “I do miss the little monsters.” Before his superstar life, Chanyeol and Baekhyun were both music teachers at a music academy outside of Seoul. Chanyeol teaches guitar and piano while Baekhyun did vocals and also the choir.

                “The little monsters miss you too. Victoria drew a drawing of you and told me to mail it to you. You’ll probably get it mixed with the fanmail and all.”

                “I’ll find it, don’t worry about me.”

                “Oh I do Baekkie, I do.” Chanyeol smiled. “I miss you a lot.”

                “I miss you too Chanyeol. I miss the kids too.” I miss everything I had back then.

                “Go eat something before you faint.” Chanyeol chastised, shooing him off. “I love you.”

                “I love you too.” The screen went off as Baekhyun is forced to eat. He looked at the soup, plain and kind of empty, with only a few pieces of fishcake inside. He grabbed the fishcakes and dumped the rest of the oily soup away. He ate the measly fishcakes and made a mental note to call Luhan to pick up a lunch box or something.

                In the meantime, he had a half hour to kill before going off to work. He laid down on his bed and fell asleep to the mental sound of kids laughing together as someone with big ears played the guitar.

                                                                                *****************

                “Good, you got my pork chop.” I handed Kris the plate of pork chop that I got the company cafeteria to lay out. I panted as I put the plate down. I was glad that was over.

                “Oh come on! I wanted peas and carrots not mash potatoes!”

                I huffed and grabbed the fork on the table. I pierced the lump of mash potatoes and dumped the whole thing in my mouth (I know, the mash potatoes stayed in one giant lump and entered my mouth). I chewed the mushy thing and tried to stop my face from cringing. “There. Problem solved.” (Note to self: Do not order mash potatoes from Greg's Bistro)

                “Did you just eat food off my plate?”

                I dropped my fork, stepped back and kept my head down. Oh , I’m in trouble.

                “How did it taste?”

                “Mushy. And bland.”

                “Ah.” He opened his drawer and pulled out what looks like salt and pepper. Hello Kitty ones. My boss has Hello Kitty salt and pepper shakers. Kris Wu. The man who knows the mafias. Who walks like a god. Who ties boys down and spank them for FUN.

                I’m not shocked. I’m just insanely confused.

                “Try putting some on. Maybe they’ll taste better.”

                “Thanks.” I muttered through mash-potato filled cheeks and opened my mouth, dumping a generous amount of salt and pepper. The latter made me sneeze and wheeze, snot filling up my hand. Oh Jesus Christ I must look so god damn professional now.

                I took a tissue to wipe my hands and calm myself down. I sat on the couch in his office as he enjoyed his pork chop. “All okay?” he asked.

                “Yeah.”

                “You should go take a break. Go down to the cafeteria, or you can go out to the cafe for lunch. Here,” he handed me a card. “Take the corporate card.”

                “Thanks.” I grabbed the card, stopping momentarily to admire the silver stripe on its back. It’s really…pretty, and looks so swipeable (I don’t care if that’s not a real word. How many words can you use to describe a credit card?). “Can I ask you a question?”

                “Yes.”

                “Do you like me?”

                That question probably didn’t come out right since he raised one eyebrow and stared at me. I gulped down my potatoes and cleared my throat. “As a person. Or you know, as an assistant.”

                “Oh,” Kris said. “Well, you haven’t screwed up yet. You’re on time, you dress pretty decently, you didn’t run away from an interview and you are the only person who has guts to eat the potatoes from Greg’s Bistro. All in all, I’ll say I’m impressed.” He took another bite of meat.

                “Ah. Thanks.” I made my way to the door. “Would you like anything else?”

                “No thanks. I’m good.”

                “You’re still working?”

                “Have to get these materials right for tomorrow.” He said, chewing his meat as he stared at the paperwork before him, fingers reaching to skim through the papers. I gave him a curt nod and opened the door. Maybe I can pick up some candy or something.

                “When you get back you have to arrange the song files by year, then alphabetical order and then according to the number of awards won. I also want you to fax these documents to Mr. Clinton and pick up my dry-cleaning and tell Jessica at the styling department to hurry up with her design concept for BxL’s concept.”

                Screw the candy. If I can even finish eating it’ll be a miracle.

                                                                                ****************

                That evening, I took the bus back home. I was exhausted and beat, my feet dragging against the pavement like a ton of rocks. I was about to walk in when I heard a bunch of kids laughing. I turned and saw a group of kids playing soccer along the road. They looked like college kids and my eyes started scanning their faces. I stopped and squinted. There’s one guy who has jet black hair and round eyes, snapping pics of his friend playing football.

                I thought I was hysterical, so I shook my head and walked in. I almost got hit on the head with a nun chuck but thankfully I managed to avoid the flying weapon.

                “Oops! Sorry Yixing! I was just rehearsing!”

                “It’s fine. You closed your centre?”

                “Yeah. They are gonna dust the area tomorrow for termites, so I gave my kids an early break.” Tao stopped his rehearsal and wiped his sweat. “You wanna go out for dinner together?”

                “Sure, just give me a couple of minutes.” I dumped my work bag on the table and looked out the kitchen window, where we could see the kids playing ball. “Where do all these kids come from?”

                “There’s a university apartment just down the road.” Tao explained. I went upstairs, took off my work clothes and looked out my window. I could see the boys’ faces much clearer this time and I gasped. It was Kyungsoo, the fan from outside the photo studio.

                I know the world is a small place but this is just plain ridiculous.

                I stepped into the shower and let the water pour like the rain. That was the best feeling I’ve had all day.

 

A/N: It's always nice to get messages from you guys, and I've gotten plenty of them lately, whether it's about Porcelain Dolls or the Great Story or even other works. Love hearing from you guys and you are definitely the reason I write! Are there any Kpop idols you would like to see appear in this story? Please do let me know!

As usual, comments and upvotes as well as subbies are always welcomed!