Chapter 30

The Great Story

                “Oh my god oh my god…”

                “Please Baekhyun, stop crying! You’re going to ruin your makeup!”

                “I can’t help it!” Baekhyun fanned his eyes with his hands while Chanyeol’s sister Yoora, his sister in law, looked on and groaned in frustration. This was the third time Yoora had to redo Baekhyun’s makeup because the boy just couldn’t stop crying. The makeup would be perfect, with the eyeliner smudged perfectly, but then Baekhyun would get overwhelmed with emotions about something, or worry about the flowers or the cake or the freaking weather and started crying again.

                You can’t blame him. It is his wedding after all.

                “Oh my god oh my god…” Baekhyun sniffled, trying to fan the tears away frantically. “Quick! Say something to stop me from crying!”

                “Sehun and I had on the wedding car.”

                “Wha…” Baekhyun turned his chair around at the sound of a terribly familiar voice. A handsome boy stood by the door, dressed in a smart tux and a best man’s corsage pinned on him. He had beautiful blonde hair and lovely eyes. Baekhyun cried even harder at the sight of him.

                “Luhan!”

                “I was kidding, Sehun and I didn’t really have on your wedding car.” Luhan rushed over and enveloped Baekhyun in a huge hug. Baekhyun nuzzled his face into Luhan’s shoulder, further messing up his makeup and Yoora sighed, but she left anyways to let the former teammates have some privacy. It has been months since they saw each other.

                Months that felt like years.

                “I thought you wouldn’t come.” Baekhyun cried. He was legitimately sobbing now. His best friend was here at his wedding. The wedding was perfect now.

                “I almost didn’t. But I made a promise and I’m keeping it. How could I miss out on my best friend’s wedding?” Luhan hugged him tightly and tried to rub away his teary eyeliner-stained marks on his face. Luhan reached out to rub them and back on his face. He then realised he has the same marks on his face too.

                “Oh lord you look amazing.” Baekhyun complimented.

                “And you look the happiest person in the world. I would say you are a blushing bride but that would be merely an understatement.”

                “You’ll be my best man?”

                “Yes.”

                “And wipe my tears?”

                “Yes.”

                “And give a speech at the reception?”

                “I’ll even throw in a song.”

                Yoora stomped back in impatiently, a can of hairspray in her hand and her makeup brush in the other.

                “Sorry boys. Baekhyun, sit down and I swear to God, please don’t ruin your makeup again.”

                Baekhyun couldn’t really keep that promise. It took him another 2 tries to get it right.

                                                                                *******************

                “I have to say, this wedding looks even more gorgeous than I had imagined.” I said, sipping on a glass of wine that was served upon entry.

                “It is lovely indeed.” Tao chuckled, admiring the lovely candled decorations hanging from the tree near us. “I wonder how my wedding would be.”

                “I can imagine you going all out. Plaza hotel, giant chandelier, hundreds of guests and if it was possible you would have a tiara on your head.” I teased.

                “That doesn’t sound half bad.” Kyungsoo giggled. Jongin is Chanyeol’s best man, so he is there to accompany his nervous boyfriend. Kyungsoo got a heart attack when famous singer Jessica Jung walked in and he nearly passed out when he saw Luhan in a corner. I had to douse him with water to get him up, but other than that, he seems to be fine.

                “I can’t imagine all the celebrities here! It’s so amazing!!” Kyungsoo stomped his feet cutely. “I can’t wait to take pictures!”

                “Now now, we all agreed that we have to keep calm for Baekhyun’s wedding. No unnecessary fuss to spoil such an important day.” Tao reminded the giddy fan.

                “I’m trying my best. But how can you contain yourself when Taeyang is just a few feet away from you?!”

                “I have huge amounts of self control.” I tapped Kyungsoo’s shoulder to ease him. “Chill out and have a drink.”

                The alcohol has some sort of effect on him. Minseok and Jongdae had decided to distract him by talking about music. Sehun, Jongin and Kris are talking to Chanyeol, the groom who’s currently standing at the end of the aisle and looking not any less giddy than Kyungsoo. I turned to Joonmyun who is by my side and slipped my hand in his.

                The wedding begins. Baekhyun walked down in the aisle in the arms of a man we were all not expecting to see. Tao’s jaw dropped in shock when Kris interlaced his arms with Baekhyun and walked     him down to Chanyeol.

                “You agreed to walk Baekhyun down the aisle?!” I half-screeched when he sat back down.

                “I went to see him in the morning and he said he was walking alone. We can’t let that happen to someone on their big day can we?”

                “You amaze me every single day.” Tao gushed, leaning against him and Kris kissed the top of his head. I turned to look at Joonmyun who shrugged his shoulders.

                “Wonders will never cease.”

                The wedding was beautiful. Chanyeol’s speech to his new husband was incredibly beautiful. Luhan couldn’t stop smiling and Jongin pretended he wasn’t crying. Kyungsoo didn’t bother, he just cried on the spot. He probably cried harder than Baekhyun himself.

                “I knew from the very first day we met that you were someone special Baekhyun. A part of me knew that you and I were meant to be, and as time went on, I couldn’t help but become increasingly sure of my decision. Everyone said I was a fool for loving you when you decided to become a singer. I am a fool, the biggest one possible. I’m a fool for you Byun Baekhyun, and I always will be.

                I try my very best to rescue you, because I never want you to get hurt. I feel like I’m a huge failure on my part, because I let you get hurt. But I promise you that it won’t happen again. You made a huge sacrifice to be with me, and I want to show you that your sacrifice is worthwhile. I love you so much Byun Baekhyun.”

                “Tao, are you crying?” I whispered.

                “Yes.” Tao sniffled.

                “What a baby, crying over such a sappy speech.” Kris rolled his eyes.

                “Shut up and hand me the tissue.”

                “With this ring, I take you, Park Chanyeol to be my husband. I promise to be there for you in sickness and in health, through rich or poor, through what come may and till my very last breath. I would do anything for you Chanyeol. You have made me the happiest person alive, and I hope that you are too.” Baekhyun said, exchanging rings.

                “I am.”  Chanyeol smiled widely.

                With that, he swoop the smaller man in his arms and kissed his husband. We cheered in unison (the ones who weren’t crying cheered, the one who were crying just kept crying) and tossed confetti in the air. Baekhyun was introduced to Kyungsoo, who was still too emotional to even say hello.

                “Oh my god…” Kyungsoo rasped and Jongin rolled his eyes. He had it coming really. “Agkuedyuqbbkjhosuwos.” He started flinging his arms and incoherent sounds burbled out.

                “He says his name is Do Kyungsoo and he has been a fan of yours for a long time.” Jongin translated.

                “Owohwnskbxagywtdondljgp.”

                “The wedding is so beautiful and he’s privileged to be here.”

                “Aw thank you! It’s an honour to meet a fan after such a long time.” Baekhyun gushed. “You picked a really cute date Jongin.”

                “ANWKQHDOWSNKJDHUHHJHJSHKH AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!” Kyungsoo grabbed Jongin’s sleeve and jumped up and down.

                “He’s excited that you think he’s cute. Stop pulling my sleeve Kyungie!!”

                “ISNCWOLFASHHJGCOJE.”

                “He apologizes for sounding like a paper shredder. He’s too nervous, excited and jumpy to form proper words from his mouth.”

                “That’s quite alright. Perhaps we can get together later once you are able to talk normally again.” Baekhyun beamed and Kyungsoo almost passed out again. “I’ll talk to you guys later.”

                “Oh my god…my queen talked to me. My god. My goddess. The sun in my universe. He smiled at me. His smile is so beautiful. Oh my god. I’m going to pass out. Oh my god. Oh my god.”

                MUACKS

                “You hyperventilate one more time and I’ll have to kiss you.” Jongin held Kyungsoo by his arms.

                “Baekhyun smiled at me! He smiled at me! Oh my god!!!”

                MUACKS

                MUACKS

                MUACKS

                ………….

                Nobody asked why Kyungsoo’s lips were so red and swollen that day.

                As the reception went on and we were all full of food and drinks, everyone started marching out onto the dance floor. Jongin took the opportunity to really break it down and show some mean moves. Sehun didn’t want to lose so he joined in too, and it became a mini dance off. Kris, as I found out on that day, is terrible at dancing, so he could only slow dance with Tao in the corner.

                “You are so lucky these shoes are tough buster. With the rate you are going, my toes will be broken!”

                “So I’ll get you new shoes! And pay your medical bills!”

                “Come in a little closer, I don’t want you to bump into anybody else.”

                “I thought you didn’t want me to step on your toes.”

                “I know.

                “….”

                “….”

                “Tao, you are a nasty naughty boy.”       

                Joonmyun and I had a lovely time dancing as well. He wasn’t fantastic either but at least he wasn’t a toe breaker. Minseok and Jongdae kept requesting songs to the DJ and Luhan stepped on stage to deliver a song.

                “This song is especially for Baekhyun, because I know how much he loves romantic movies. I have thought for days and nights to try and find the right song, and I swear to God I thought of this at the last moment. There is no better song for you, my friend.”

So open your eyes and see

The way our horizons meet

And all of the lights will lead

Into the night with me

And I know these scars will bleed

But both of our hearts believe

All of these stars will guide us home

 

                While Luhan was singing, I could tell that this is the most emotional song he has ever sang. We’ve talked about putting emotions into performances for years, but he has never been able to do it, until today. On stage was not Luhan the superstar, but Luhan the best man. Luhan the boy. Luhan who misses his best friend.

                This song was not even about Baekhyun and Chanyeol.

                “Baekhyun, I need to talk to you.” Luhan said, tapping him on the shoulder.

                “Yes?” Baekhyun turned to look at Luhan. Luhan sighed, holding Baekhyun’s hands. Baekhyun stifled a sob. He had cried enough today.

                “I’m sorry,” he started. “I’m sorry I didn’t know what you were going through. I’m sorry I didn’t understand your dreams. I’m sorry for all the times I snapped at you and ignored you. I’m sorry for yelling at you that day in the elevator and calling you selfish.”

                “If I had the power, I would do anything I can to bring you back. I just miss having you around.” Luhan continued. “But after today, I don’t think I can. If I asked you to come back, I’m the one being selfish.”

                “Lu…”

                “Your future is here, with Chanyeol. And you knew that from the beginning. You knew we weren’t going to go on forever. I’m just sad we had to end so soon.” Luhan sniffled, breathing hard once more.

                “It makes me angry to hear people talk about you, saying you were disloyal and what not. For a while, I was slightly happy. That meant that they were on my side. But later I learnt that just because they hated you, doesn’t necessarily mean they liked me either.” He admitted. “But now, I can’t bear anyone who says that. They say it like they know you. They say it like they know what you have been through. They say it the same way they said they love you many months ago.”

                “I know that. I have gained a few enemies, haven’t I?”

                “But you’re gaining something they don’t. Happiness and freedom.” Luhan smiled. “You’re my friend, and partner for life. I wouldn’t be here if you didn’t do what you did, which was put up with my terrible attitude and tried to be my friend.”

                “You’ll do fine on your own.” Baekhyun said, Luhan’s hair. “You should go out and do what you have always wanted to do. Fight for your happiness and live your dreams.”

                “I know. You’ve taught me that.” Luhan squeezed Baekhyun’s hand. “We probably grew too famous too quickly. If we had taken time to get to where we are now, we would have had more time together.”

                Baekhyun shook his head. “I think it would hurt more.”

                “I suppose we aren’t meant to stay together forever.”

                “But we were meant to be in each other’s lives. I would rather die right now than to have never met you at all, because my life is a far greater adventure with you as a character.”

                “Damn it Baek,” Luhan cursed while rubbing his eyes. “Don’t say that. You’re gonna make me cry.”

                “One day you and I will look back on what we have and do nothing but smile.” Baekhyun said, stifling his own tears. “One day we’ll look back on what we have with each other and say nothing but thank you.”

“I actually can’t wait until that happens.” Luhan wiped his tears. “So, I guess this is goodbye.”

                “Nuh uh, no goodbyes. You know I don’t like that.” Baekhyun shook his head. “It’s see you.

                “Will we see each other again?”

                “Of course we will. You’ll have my full support always.” Baekhyun pointed to Luhan’s chest. “Even if we can’t see each other, close your eyes and open your heart. I’m there.”

                Luhan cried a little before giving his former partner a hug. “See you Baekhyun.”

                “See you Luhan.”

                The two parted ways slowly. Baekhyun found himself back by Chanyeol’s side while Luhan held onto Sehun’s hand. Sehun placed one hand on Luhan’s shoulder, squeezing gently.

                “Sehun?”

                “Yeah?”

                “You win.” Luhan sniffled.

                “No,” Sehun shook his head. “I didn’t win.” He pointed to Baekhyun and Chanyeol, who were busy dancing to a lovely song the band was playing.

                “He did.”

                When something you love goes away, it’s very hard to let go. But as time goes on, it suddenly becomes very difficult to hold onto it. Not just because time has moved on, more importantly, you have moved on.

                                                                                ***********************

                I don’t know where Baekhyun and Chanyeol went after the wedding. Perhaps on their honeymoon, or perhaps they moved to America. Anything is possible for the newlyweds. Baekhyun was free to do whatever he wanted. Again.

                When we returned to Seoul, things progressed as normal. Kyungsoo and Jongin had finals to attend to, and in the midst of preparing for their finals, Kyungsoo announced his hiatus on his website to focus on his education. When I asked when he would return, he simply shrugged.

                “I don’t know. Maybe I will, maybe I won’t.”

                “You’ve lost the will to fanboy again?” Tao teased when he joined us for tea one day.

                Kyungsoo chuckled but he shrugged again. “It just doesn’t feel right.”

                “What doesn’t feel right?” I asked.

                “After the wedding, I feel like I know Luhan and Baekhyun. And after that experience, going back to screaming in concert halls and posting pictures online has sort of…lost its edge. I think Baekhyun and Luhan deserve some privacy.”

                “You don’t have to stop,” I pat his knee. “You could slow it down.”

                “We’ll see.” Kyungsoo nodded.

                Sehun became the lead model for the MCM campaign and he looked FANTASTIC. Not that he never did, but his talents really showed. He was always talented, but he never had the right opportunity. His pictures were everywhere, and he even starred in his own advertisement. He made it, all the way from the very bottom.

                Luhan kept busy as usual, with the final processing on his debut album as a solo star going underway. Minseok and Jongdae are arguing about baby names. Tao finished his movie and it would premiere next year. He was even thinking of moving in with Kris and giving me the house. And Kris stopped trying so hard.

                Everyone was moving on but me.

                I had to do what was right for me.

                “You will be missed.” Kris told me as I packed up my belongings in the office and put them in a box. “I’ve never had a better assistant before.”

                “Thank you, and it was a pleasure working for you.” I smiled, wiping a small tear from the corner of my eye. The office threw me a going away party, and Minseok kept crying. I wasn’t moving to a faraway country. I was just going to focus on my writing, but still, leaving the comfort of a place that was my home away from home for the past few months tugged me.

                It wasn’t the place, the job, or the money I missed. It was the people.

                “You know Yixing, we’ll still see each other for sure.” Kris said, wiping my desk with his hand. “When your book comes out, please do give me a copy. I would love your autograph.”

                “Anytime boss.”

                “I’m going to miss that name.”

                I laughed for the first time that day and I hugged him. He hugged me back and smiled a very small smile.

                “Thank you Zhang Yixing. I can’t tell you how much you mean to me and how much you’ve helped me. You’re more than an assistant, you’re a friend.”

                “And you’re more than a boss, you’re an inspiration.

                Joonmyun helped me move my things and I left the building. I haven’t returned there for the past 3 years, so going back brings back so many memories. I can remember walking in there in Tao’s shirt and unpolished shoes, nervous and desperate. I remember spilling coffee, people made out in front of me, two singers who thought me more about life and decisions that my travels and I remember looking for something here.

                A great story.

                Years later, this story would be repeated again by a similar group in a similar situation, but we would learn to handle it differently. We would learn to say goodbye properly, we would learn to give blessings and we would learn what it means to let go. The only thing we wish we could change is our initial response to first story. Maybe it’s because we learnt our lesson, but we would forever be branded as hypocrites. War will rage, opinions will differ, but it doesn’t change the main theme. Someone leaves, and the other will be hurt.

                Perhaps the reality of a story like this is that you can’t control everything that happens in your life. What we see is never really what it actually is, and if you love something or someone, you have to let it go.

                If you’re reading this, that means my story is published after 3 years of hard work on it, being stuck in my room on my laptop, a cup of coffee on my desk and writing down every bit of emotion I remembered having that year I worked in Starling.

                I don’t know what compelled you to even pick this story from millions on the book shelf or online, but if you did, I thank you for willing to read about a journey that has changed my life. I’m also thanking you for reading it so often, it became a best seller.

                I suppose you are wondering if this story really is the Great Story and I can tell you that it probably is, or it probably isn’t. There are so many great stories all around, about love, loss, life, war, disease, aliens coming down on earth and superheroes saving us all. The Single Great Story does not exist, because every story is The Single Great Story.

                But a good Great Story is a story you live to tell, to remember, to learn from, to love and to impact others for generations to come. A really good Great Story not only makes you happy, or sad, or nostalgic, it signifies you and more importantly, you played a part in it. The greatest Great Story, is you.

                I have clearly found mine.

                If you haven’t found yours, then close this book, put it down. Shut your laptop and put on your shoes. Go out and say hi to the world.

                Your Great Story is looking for you.

                Every Great Story ends with another ready to begin.

                Yours starts now.

 

 

 

THE END

 

 

A/N: Double update you guys!! XD