Chapter 28

The Great Story

                Despite being a model of all sorts of attire, tuxedoes have never been high on Jongin’s list of favourite things. The suits are stuffy and constricting, he can’t spill any sauces on them without making a fuss and the jacket is far too hot and the tie just wants to choke him.

                “Will you stop looking like the Grim Reaper just came to see you?” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes as he watched Jongin get fitted into his suit. “It’s not that bad.”

                “This tie is too tight, and sure this material is 100% cotton because it’s itchy, and you know I’m allergic to polyester.”

                “Stop making excuses, you’re not really allergic to polyester.” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. “This is for your cousin’s wedding, so just bear with it, once the wedding is over you can wear anything you want.”

                “Even if it’s nothing?” Jongin raised an eyebrow.

                “Sure, if you want to get arrested for public harassment when you swing your out in public.”

                “Hey, I bet I’ll be doing public service with my .”

                “It’s public service if you keep your in your pants, where it belongs.” The shorter rolled his eyes.

                “Or up your…” Kyungsoo pinched the back of Jongin’s thighs and the model yelped in pain. “Excuse me sir, you need to stop moving or I’ll jab you with my pin.” The tailor complained.

                “Sorry.” Jongin mumbled and stood upright again. Kyungsoo patted the back of his thigh where he pinched it and smiled so that Jongin could see his reflection in the mirror. “You look amazing, so don’t fret.”

                “I’ve never been a best man before, what if I screw up? Chanyeol would never forgive me!”

                “Don’t put so much pressure on yourself. I’ll be there with you on that day and I’ll make sure you don’t forget your lines, or your wallet or anything else for that matter.”

                “You’re excited about Baekhyun’s wedding aren’t you?”

                “I’m not gonna lie, it does sound exciting.” Kyungsoo stomped his feet in glee. “I can’t imagine I’m going to meet my favourite idol! And at his wedding!! It’s his wedding!! AIEEEEEE!”

                “Sir, you need to stop shaking him or I’ll jab you with the pin.” The tailor side-eyed him and Jongin laughed at Kyungsoo’s embarrassed face.

                “I said I was bringing a date, not a crazy stalker or paparazzi, so promise me you will be on your best behaviour.”

                “I promise. There will be no cameras, no screaming, unless there is a bug or some kind of 5-legged creature with 3 eyes, no fanboying, unless he decides to sing because you know how I am when Baekhyun sings, his voice is just….uh…” Kyungsoo moaned sub-consciously and Jongin had to tell his friend down there to stay down.

                “I’m wondering if I made the right decision.” Jongin teased and Kyungsoo pouted. “Just kidding.”

                “Too late. I’m already hurt.”

                “I’ll give you a kiss after this.”

                “I don’t want a kiss.” Kyungsoo sulked.

                “How about ice cream?”

                “That’s more like it.” He smiled.

                “I wonder if Luhan would be there.” Jongin mumbled absent-mindedly.

                “I doubt it. With the scandal just released, I think he would be advised to keep a low profile for a while.” Kyungsoo shifted. He heard about the news the same time as everyone else, and no doubt he was shocked, but he wasn’t entirely surprised either. He was surprised that it didn’t affect him so strongly. He thought the model Sehun was cute and was actually happy that Luhan was dating. He even thought it was cute, but most of the fans didn’t necessarily agree with him. The most offending part was when they jabbed him for being gay and this Kyungsoo took as an insult, because he was gay too.

                “Those people on the internet are cruel.” Jongin shook his head. “I wonder how Sehun is doing. He must be having a tough time as well.”

                “I thought you guys hated each other?”

                “I don’t actually hate him per se, but he sure doesn’t like me.”

                “Why?”

                “I think he’s sore about losing the lead role in the advertisement to me, but I didn’t mean to take it.” Jongin sighed. “It’s not my fault the director preferred me over him.”

                “Okay, we’re done.” The tailor nodded and Jongin stepped down from the platform to change into his regular clothes. “I have to see Sehun about something though.”

                “Is it about work?” Kyungsoo asked as they left the store together.

                “Yeah, a little bit about that. I’ll meet you back at the dorms.” He hailed a taxi and left Kyungsoo on the curb, waving goodbye to him. It was about 20 minutes until he arrived at Sehun’s place. He knew Sehun’s manager (thanks to some strings he pulled) and he knew the model had no work at the moment and was in fact, advised to hide away for some time until the scandal blew over. He was greeted with a security guard at the front entrance and with an awkward nod and a brief introduction of who he was, he was finally granted access.

                KNOCK KNOCK

                The door squeaked open and a head peered out. Jongin waved and the door slammed back shut. He thought about leaving, but then he could hear something like a latch being pulled open and Sehun opened the door.

                “What do you want?”

                “No ‘hi’ or ‘how are you doing’?” Jongin rolled his eyes. “Can I come in then? I have a business proposition.”

                “Shouldn’t you be talking to my manager?”

                “I prefer dealing with my clients directly. After all, you are the one who calls the shots right?” Jongin made his way inside and inspected the apartment. It was smaller than what Jongin was used to, but it was comfy and…lived in I suppose. There were beer cartons in the trash cans, instant noodle packages lined the shelf walls and Sehun’s portfolio graced the walls.

                “I see you framed the last shoot we did together.” Jongin pointed at one of the pictures.

                “I liked that shot. I thought I looked good.”

                “You do, honestly.” Jongin said, sitting down on one of the armchairs. “Listen, I have a job for you.”

                “What is it?”

                “I was offered the lead in the MCM campaign, but the shoot was scheduled to start late this fall, and I have finals to attend to in college. The fashion director wanted to get someone else but I said I would recommend someone to take over my place. So would you do it?”

                “You’re offering me the lead role in the MCM campaign?” Sehun pointed at himself in shock. “Me?”

                “Yes. You’re a good model and everyone in the industry who has seen you feels the same way. You’ve got a lot of potential so that’s why I’m recommending you.”

                “Hang on a minute,” Sehun sighed and rubbed his face with his hands, almost as if he just woke up from a dream. “What’s it in for you?”

                “Me? You think I’m gaining something from this?” Jongin scoffed. “Sure, I’ll get to attend to my finals in college, but that’s it.”

                “I can’t believe this, it’s almost too good to be true. I mean, it’s MCM.” Sehun said.

                “Are you going to take it or not?”

                “I don’t know.”

                “What do you mean you don’t know? Dude, I just offered you the chance of a lifetime! Grab it and go!”

                “I just…” Sehun paused, his words dying on his tongue as he tried to look for them again. “I just want to be known for my abilities and not because of some help or favour you did for me.”

                “It’s not like you’re buying your way into this role and it’s your abilities that will eventually cement your position as a top model. This is the best chance for you to showcase them; you’ll never get another shot like this again!”

                “Why are you helping me?” Sehun asked. “Of all people, why me?”

                “I don’t know, I feel like you and me are…kindred souls I guess.”

                “Woah woah, we are not kindred souls in any way.” Sehun said, backing up against the couch. “We are so different, how can we be kindred in anything?”

                “We’re both models, young, gay, and somewhat connected to this industry, and I bet we’re both going for Baekhyun’s wedding. That is, if Luhan wants to go.” Sehun sighed at the mention of the wedding.

                “You can’t survive in this industry alone. You need a hand every once in a while and it’s not a crime. You’re doing me a favour as well as yourself, I don’t see why you’re so hesitant. Have you been struggling so long that you’ve forgotten what an opportunity looks like?” he scribbled his phone number down on the newspaper in front of him. “Call me when you decide. Or if you just wanna grab a cup of coffee. Just call me anyways.”

                He stood up and head to the door. He turned to look at Sehun, who was also standing up. “How are you doing lately?”

                “Okay I guess.” Sehun tucked his hands in the back of his jeans pocket. “It’s kind of stressful with all the media and the fans and what not.”

                “What about Luhan?”

                “He’s surviving.”

                “He’s a tough kid.” Jongin said.

                “Yeah,” Sehun nodded.

                “Hang in there. There are people who would live to see you two fall. Don’t give them that satisfaction.”

                “Thanks.”

                And Jongin left the apartment.                     

                                                                        *********************

                I never got around to telling my boss that I found Baekhyun and that I actually talked to him. He read the invitation, but then I found the card in the trash can of his office when I went to throw my gum wrapper. I picked the card back up and stashed it between his files.

                “The first mediation is this weekend.” I reminded him. He doesn’t really need a reminder, but I just mentioned it anyways. Has time really flown that fast?

                “Yes I know.” Kris mumbled without looking up from his papers. “Let’s see if we can reach a settlement.”

                “That would be nice.” I said, thinking of the invitation I placed in between his files. “For him and for you.”

                “I know he can’t wait to get married.” Kris scoffed lightly.

                “He has other plans you know.” I muttered.

                “Yixing,” he looked up at me. “You met Baekhyun didn’t you?”

                “How did you…”

                “Relax, no one told me. Even Joonmyun didn’t tell me.” He said, crossing his arms. “It was the invitation. How could you have gotten it unless you met him?”

                “Fine then, I did. I met him.”

                “Why?”

                “I just had to. I miss him, and it killed me not knowing where he is, so I had to make sure he was okay.”

                “Well, is he?”

                “Yeah.” I shrugged. “I also know why he left.”

                “I’m not interested to know why he left. All I want to know is if he’s coming back.”

                “He can’t.” I sighed.

                “Why not?”

                “Not after all that he put Luhan through and not after…what he’s going through. The man has a different set of plans now.”

                “I didn’t know babies and diapers were a part of it. He didn’t mention it in the interview when I casted him.” Kris rolled his eyes.

                “There’s more to that, but I can’t tell you because it’s a private matter.” I said. “All I can tell you is that he is not coming back, so we might as well cut ties with him.”

                “No way, that man owes me money. I am not letting him go that easily.”

                “Too late, he’s flying off whether you like it or not.” I sat down in front of his desk. “I’m not happy about this either, but I just think that perhaps it’s for the best. He is not ours to keep and you know that.”

                “This is not about keeping him as an artist, this is about…”

                “Money?” I raised an eyebrow. “I can’t say much about that but if this case drags on it will only get more and more expensive in the long run.”

                “There’s more than money involved in this you know.” Kris said. “It’s the principle of the matter. I signed him up for a certain number of years. I’m doing my part with the contract, so it’s only fair that he keeps to it. What is so wrong with it? I trained him all the years, watched him grow to become the artist I have envisioned him to become. Do you think it’s easy to let go years of investment and hard work put into someone? Wave to it as if it was a paper blowing in the wind?”

                “If you want to move on, then you have to let him go.” I said. “We’re like a broken sandglass, trying to pick and salvage the grains of sand and he’s that little guy that is desperately running away.”

                I shrugged again and sighed. “You’re in love. I figured you might know what Baekhyun feels like.”

                And like Jongin, I left the room.

 

 

A/N: Another update! XD