Chapter 23

The Great Story

                “I cannot wait for the four day weekend we have coming up.” I told Tao as I washed the fruits that we were going to cut and eat. “Finally, some time off.”

                “I know right?” Tao clapped his hands in glee. “What should we do? Go on a vacation? Stay at home?”

                “Well, we should definitely spruce up the place, don’t you think? The cupboards haven’t been cleaned in centuries and we have yet to change the sheets or clean the windows.”

                “We have a four day holiday coming up and you think we should spend it cleaning?” Tao deadpanned.

                “Okay, let’s make a deal. If we clean up the house, we can finally catch up on all those The Walking Dead episodes we have been missing.”

                “We should also get around to watching Spiderman and Lord of The Rings!”

                “We could get popcorn!”

                “And pretzels and chocolate!”

                “Then, maybe we can go to the video store together, or even travel down to the beach!”

                “We could have a neighbourhood barbeque!”

                “Or make cupcakes!”

                “How about going to the bowling alley or catch an indie concert?”

                “Just the two of us. Some quality housemate bonding time.”

                “Deal! No bosses, no boyfriends, no noisy neighbours…”

                “No work, no stress.” I smiled widely, my feet clenching in excitement at all the things we will finally be doing.

                The four day holiday could not come any quicker. On the last day before the holiday, Kris told us he was going to spend the holidays at his grandmother’s summer house in Jeju Island. I told him hallelujah, god speed and have a good time. I could not wait to be on holiday, away from my boss, away from work and away from all this…mess.

                “THE HOLIDAY IS HERE!!!!” Tao and I literally bounced inside the house and jumped on the couch, squealing our lungs out.

                “I told the cast to go and screw themselves today because I am so sick of their and so ready for a holiday.”

                “I told my boss he can go kiss up his grandma’s and I’m not cleaning up after him.”

                “You told Kris that?” Tao stared at me.

                “I wish I did.” I rolled my eyes and Tao doubled over, laughing really hard.

                “I need food.”

                “I need to pee.”

                “Whatever it is, meet back here in 30 minutes and I’ll start the Walking Dead.”

                The holidays could not have gone off to a better start. Cartons of soda, chips and popcorn on our stomachs, in bowls, on magazines and where ever as we splayed out all over watching TV. Eventually we did get our lazy asses off the couch and did some cleaning, but it was more like spraying water and rubbing soap and calling each other names as we chase each other around the house.

                “Joonmyun sounds so sweet. Has he asked you out a second time?” Tao was rubbing his hair with a towel as we gathered in my room. We had finished cleaning the house and eating dinner. I was telling him about our rooftop date that got interrupted.

                “He didn’t, but I don’t think I would have the mood until this whole case has settled. I want to make sure Luhan is perfectly settled into his new solo role before taking a breather and focusing on myself.”

                “So I guess the European debut is out of the question.”

                “I wouldn’t put it that way. Europe is sending love calls their way.” I chuckled. “It’s just a matter of reorganising our priorities that’s all. We could just postpone it.”

                “You seem to be in a better place than you were a month ago.” Tao said, leaning against the dressing table.

                “I’m not. It’s just…” I breathed. “I guess this is probably a form of closure that’s all. I mean, I have come to accept the fact that Baekhyun and Starling are two separate entities now. I feel okay with it now.”

                “I just thought that Luhan’s speech last month would have hurt you.”

                “It did, I’m not gonna lie.” I nodded. “There’s not a single day that goes by where I don’t wish Baekhyun would just knock on our door and come back, but I feel like even if he doesn’t, I’ll be okay with that. I’m still being optimistic about the future. You never know what could happen, but even if the future doesn’t turn out to be like what I planned, it’s still fine I guess.”

                “Not moving on is harder than moving on isn’t it?”

                “Yeah.” I said. “Time forces you to move on without you realizing it. The world continues around you, people get up for work and fall to sleep, people age, people fall in and out of love all the time. You can’t stop progress and you can’t stop time. Eventually you will move on without realizing it. Trying to stay stagnant then is probably even harder than letting time whisk you away.”

                “I guess it’s like the final nail in the coffin for you.”

                “It’s not the final nail. It’s the final screw on a door. The door that opens and closes.”

                “Baekhyun can’t come back, can he?”

                “After all that he has fought for? Is it fair to Baekhyun and Luhan?”

                “Do you think they’ll ever talk to each other?”

                “They will. They just need time.”

                RING RING

                “It’s the doorbell.” I told Tao.

                “I know, I heard it.” Tao rolled his eyes and went down, reaching for the door. “Who in heaven’s name is here at a time like this?”

                “Hello everybody.”

                “KRIS?!?!? I mean, boss?!?!?!?”  My eyes dropped out when I saw my boss standing outside with his luggage behind him. “What are you doing here? I thought you were at Mdm Wu’s place.”

                “The whole mansion had to be fumigated for termites.” Kris sighed, moving in with his luggage. “Joonmyun and I had to come back to Seoul and there’s no sense staying back at my place for the holidays since I packed my stuff and everything so I came here. I knew you weren’t going out of town and figured you could use an extra house guest.”

                “You know boss, you could have called.” I told him. “I would have…”

                “What? Tried to move?”

                “No no!” I shook my hands wildly, flustered by his question. “I would have er…made some dinner at least!”

                “It’s fine. I’ll just eat anything you can whip up.” He had already taken off his socks and settled on the couch, making himself comfortable. Tao and I were stunned by the sudden invasion of a six foot tall CEO.

                “Really?” I raised an eyebrow. Kris is the pickiest eater I know. For one, he hates peas. Who hates peas?!?!? Who does that?!?

                “Just make sure there are no preservatives, no oil, high in protein and low cholesterol content. Oh, and make sure nothing inside it starts with an L.”

                “Why?” Tao asked.

                “I don’t know, just don’t feel like having L-related foods today.”

                “Salad it is then, with no legumes in it.” I smiled very very very painfully, “Come on Tao, I need your help.”

                “But it’s just a…”

                “Now.” I sunk my nails in his forearm and dragged him into the kitchen. “I cannot believe my boss just barged in here!” I whispered angrily while he was busy flipping some sort of magazine. “We have to do something to get rid of him!”

                “No no! We can’t get rid of him, he’s our guest!”

                “He’s not a guest, he’s a pest.” I gritted my teeth. “If he stays here, he is going to destroy our plans, eat our food, mess up our house and add even more laundry. He is going to be a massive, galactic, out of this world, god-defying, pain in the .”

                “It’s only for a couple of nights, how bad could it be?” Tao shrugged.

                “You don’t work with him.” I wagged my finger. “This is supposed to be a best friend’s holiday! Not a best-friend-plus-one-very-annoying-ually-frustrated-and-is-so-popping-a--for-one-of-the-best-friend’s-boss-holiday.”

                “He’s popping a for me?” Tao pointed at himself and I glared at him.

                “No, it’s for me. Did I tell you I him off at work yesterday?” As my grandmother would tell my mother when I was standing in front of her, the sarcasm runs deep in that child.

                “No, but if you did tell me about it.”

                “I DID NOT HIM OFF!”

                “SHHHHHH!!!” Tao shushed me and clamped a hand over my mouth. “He could hear you!”

                “To hell with him!” I pushed his hand off and stomped my way to the fridge and took out the vegetables. “I cannot believe this. My one chance at a holiday and I’m stuck with my boss.”

                “Let’s be nice. He’s probably lonely and looking for companionship.”

                “He’s probably desperate and looking for someone to . Let me tell you, I don’t care if he is my boss, or how influential and rich he is, if he touches you without my permission, I will slice off his and serve it to the dogs.”

                “The dogs would probably be traumatised.” Tao giggled. “Relax, I won’t let him get to me. How else do you think I’ve been able to hold on for so long?” Tao shrugged. “Let’s just deal with it. Maybe he won’t be so bad.”

                “Fine.”

                “Yixing, make sure my salad has croutons!!!” Kris called from the living room.

                “Yes boss.” I rolled my eyes.

                “I’ll go entertain him and make him comfortable.” Tao said, prancing off. I grabbed his arm and looked at him again.

                “You know, you are the only person who is actually enjoying this.”

                “I would love to answer you, but right now, my seems to be doing the talking.” I retracted my arm back in mock disgust as Tao teased me and pranced off. I chopped up the tomatoes thinking Tao might be right. This might not be so bad.

                Wrong.

                                                                *************************

                “You finally have some time off!” Sehun said, welcoming Luhan home with a smile and a warm hug. Luhan practically flew to his arms and his taller boyfriend lifted him up and swung him around.

                “I am so tired.” Luhan whined, letting his smaller body go limp in Sehun’s arms as the other person cooed and his hair.

                “Aww, my poor baby, working so hard all the time.”

                “I wanna go to bed, then have breakfast, or lunch or dinner in bed then have a bath with rose petals and then…”

                “So basically you want to be pampered and treated like the princess you are.” Sehun teased. Luhan punched him in the gut playfully.

                “I am not a princess! I just want to be treated as something special.”

                “Don’t you always get treated that way already?”

                “No, I get treated like a robot.” Luhan rolled his eyes as Sehun put him down and leaned down to kiss his forehead. “I would just like some quiet time with you.”

                “Your wish is my command. It’s too bad we won’t be able to go out of the city. All the hotels must be fully booked by now.”

                “I don’t care. I just wanna stay in bed all weekend and cuddle you.” Luhan buried his face in Sehun’s warm and firm chest.

                “Although this would mean Seoul itself would be really quiet.” Sehun said, “Perhaps we can actually go somewhere.”

                “Sounds nice.”

                “Why don’t you go get undressed? I’ll set up the bath tub for you.”

                “With candles and roses and aromatherapy oils?”

                “Yep.”

                “Will you bring in some wine as well?”

                “Not just that. I’ll get the new lavender soap you like so much and give you a good rub down.”

                “Really?” Luhan’s eyes twinkled.

                “And maybe after that, I’ll join you in the tub.” Sehun leaned forward to nibble and kiss down Luhan’s neck, sending shivers down his spine. Luhan’s body wriggled in Sehun’s arm as the kisses got harder and harder.

                “And then what’s going to happen?” Luhan whispered in Sehun’s ear, his hand lingering on Sehun’s lower abdomen, his fingers pulling up the hems and slipping in oh so casually.

                “I’m going to give you a very special treatment.” Sehun teased, kissing Luhan on the lips before pushing the boy off to get undressed.

                And let me tell you, if Luhan didn’t ask to be treated like a princess, Sehun would have stripped him bare then and there.

                But at least someone is having a good time. Because I for one, am having the tiest time possible.

                “Yixing!!! Where’s my water?!”

                “Yixing!!! It’s too cold in here!!!”

                “Yixing!!! It’s too hot now!!!”

                “Yixing!!! You missed a spot!”

                “Yixing!!!”

                “YIXING!!!!!!”

                “I swear to God if he calls me one more time I will grab my kitchen knife and slice his head off!” I slammed my hands against the table. I’ve been trying to write for the past hour. Trying, is the key word here because my boss, who is a real dickhead now, has been calling my name like it’s the only word he knows.

                We put him in the guest bedroom last night, to which he complained was too small and too cold. I turned the AC down but then he said it was too hot. It was Tao that shut him up by handing him the AC remote so that he could play with it.

                He is so extremely messy! He leaves his dirty clothes lying about and has the audacity to tell me to send it to the laundry because most of his shirts are dry clean only. I woke up in the morning for a quick jog and when I came back, he started demanding a full English breakfast but without any foods starting with the letter W. I sent his ing clothes to the laundry and I had to pick up some magazines and a newspaper because he claims our magazines are lame and when I do come back, he starts telling me about the spots I missed when I was cleaning yesterday.

                Tao told me that he would keep him company while I get some private time to myself, since he could tell by my gritted teeth and clenched fist that I was one name away from a Mt. Vesuvius eruption. I could feel heaven and a sense of serenity when I finally set down in front of my laptop and placed my fingers on the key. I closed my eyes and I could feel the little bubbles of exhaustion pool away and all the fluids in my body seemed to be taking it slow for a while.

                “YIXING!!!!!!!!!”

                this .

                “What do you want?!” I stomped down the stairs.

                “Kris! I told you not to call him! I would get it for you!” Tao got up from the couch but got pulled down immediately.

                “You don’t have to do it. Only Yixing knows what I want.”

                “Only Yixing knows what I want.” I mocked, pulling a face behind him as Tao sat there limply next to him. This is a joke I tell you. Tao is the kind of person that can whip your and turn your socks inside out while you’re still flying in mid-air after he throws you, and yet he can’t seem to release himself from Kris’s grip on his arm.

                “Well what do you want and make it snappy.”

                “Tao and I could use some ice cream.”

                “Then let Tao get it.”

                “No, we’re busy discussing world affairs.”

                “You’re just too damn lazy to get off the couch. It’s only a couple of steps to the kitchen you know.”

                “Just do what you are told.”

                “No.”

                Kris turned around and raised his eyebrows at me. “What do you mean?”

                “No. No means no. I am not going to get your stupid ice cream.”

                “Zhang Yixing…” he stood up from his seat, his voice getting lower and lower as he tucks his shirt in.

                “I am supposed to be on holiday. My holiday was about relaxing, having fun and finally getting down to my writing, not serving you like one of your maids!”

                “Zhang Yixing you watch your tone.”

                “I don’t have to watch anything! I am my own man and I am so sick of you bossing me around on MY HOLIDAY!” I raised my voice and it didn’t occur to me that it was the first time in a long while I had gotten mad at someone. And moreover, it was my own boss.

                “Do you know what your problem is? You think you are so tough with your tall figure, expensive clothes, your secret henchmen and all those lawyers you have in contact when in reality you’re just a whining son of a who still kisses up his senile grandmother’s .”

                “Yixing!!” Tao reprimanded.

                “Zhang Yixing, you better apologize to me right now.”

                “Why? Because I’m right?” I sneered at him and Tao rushed to my side to hold me back in case I fly over and attack his pretty face. “I don’t have anything to apologize for and do you know why, because I’m right !”

                “You think so? What makes you think so?! Do you know me well enough to say that?!”

                “No, because you NEVER. LET. ANYONE. DO. THAT!” I seethed, throwing my hands in the air. “You are so ing scared of letting anyone know. So ing scared of letting anyone in your life because you’re so scared of getting hurt. I know you like Tao okay, even a blind man in New Jersey could see it! But you act like a and using some lame excuse like ‘my grandmother’s house is fumigating’ just to spend some more time with him. For god’s sake GROW A PAIR OF BALLS WILL YA?!”

                “You are the biggest hypocrite the world has ever seen. And you are always the biggest god damn liar I have ever known. And you wonder why Baekhyun left Starling! It’s because of you and your ed up ways!!”

                “Zhang Yixing, you better take all that back or you’re fired.”

                “Go ahead. See if I care.” I glared at him and turned around. Toa held onto my arm but I shook him off.

                “Yixing wait!”

                “I’m getting out of here.” I told him and opened the door. I slammed it on my way out and ran down the street. I ran and ran and ran until my legs were jelly and my lungs were burst. Only then did I slump down on the steps of an old house to try and catch my breath. Then I realized what I had just done. I had fought with my boss and am probably fired. I just lost my job and I’m out on the street with no money, no keys and only my phone.

                I didn’t want to go back. I couldn’t face Tao or Kris again. I knocked my own head thinking about what a terrible position I just put Tao in. His best friend and his lover had a fight and now he’s left to pick up the pieces we threw at each other. But I couldn’t help it. I was still so angry.

                What the hell is wrong with me? I’m usually so calm and collected. I’m used to being bossed around. Why did I erupt? Why? My breath was ragged and my head was reeling in all the things that I had just done. I blamed my boss for Baekhyun’s disappearance. The one thing I told myself I wouldn’t do was to blame Kris for it. But I did. I just did. I betrayed myself and my boss. I was no different than the millions of people on the internet who did the same.

                I picked my phone out from my pocket and with shaky hands I dialled the last number I contacted on my phone. The ringing sound entered my ears, and when a person’s voice finally came through, it was like a tidal wave knocked over a small leaf ashore and I had to resist the urge to cry.

                “Hello?”

                “Jo…Joon…”

                “Yixing?” Joonmyun’s soft voice became worried as I choked his name out. “Yixing? Where are you?”

                “I’m…outside my house…” I cleared my throat. “Please come and get me. Please.”

                “Stay where you are. I’ll come and get you.”

                The line hung up and I sat on the steps, watching my tears fall on the dry pavement. When the last tear finally made its way there, I looked up and saw someone on the opposite side of the street. He was looking at me, standing there with a soda in his hand. It was Kyungsoo, the fan.

                He gave me a small smile, the teeniest kind possible, with just the ends lifted very lightly. His eyes were soft and sympathetic, as if he knew why I was upset. I waved back and he nodded his head slowly.

                A car rolled up, blocking our view of each other and it was Joonmyun’s. He jumped out of his seat and pulled me up to him. I buried my face in his chest as he held me close.

                “Are you okay?”

                “No.” I sniffed.

                “Let’s get out of here.”

                I got into the car and looked out the window. Kyungsoo was no longer there.

                                                                                **********************

                “You have to stop drinking.” Tao said, putting a hand on Kris’s glass, stopping him from ingesting anymore alcohol. Kris shook his head and peeled the hand off like it was a fruit skin before gulping it down. He coughed and grimaced at the burn of the whiskey down his throat.

                “This hurts.” He grunted. “This hurts a lot Tao.”

                “I told you it would be hard.” Tao said, trying to hide the bottle away.

                “No, this hurts.” He pounded his chest and blinked his eyes repeatedly. “This hurts a lot.”

                “I just wish you would make up with Yixing. It’s been hours since he’s left and I haven’t gotten a call from him.” Tao fidgeted with his phone, checking it over and over again.

                “He’s right you know?” Kris slurred out, the effect of the whiskey becoming rather overwhelming. “I’m pathetic. I’m a pathetic piece of .”

                “No you’re not. Yixing didn’t mean it, he was just annoyed at you.”

                “No, he’s right.” Kris shook his head. “God damn it. How does he do that? Why does he have to be so right about everything? Why does he have to see through me and expose me? Why? Why?” Kris moaned out, slumping down and falling on the carpet.

                “He’s good at that.” Tao followed him on the carpet and pulled him upright so that he wouldn’t fall sideways.

                “I just feel like everything is my fault you know.” Kris sniffed. “I pretend that Baekhyun’s disappearance is okay and it is. It’s okay for a while, but then something comes and then I realize it’s not okay. I don’t even know what it is but it just comes anyways, like a ten ton trailer driving down a wooden fence. And it doesn’t stop. It just comes and comes and comes.”

                “I know.” Tao nodded.

                “This will never feel okay again. My whole life, I’ve been trying to feel okay. I left my grandmother and started my own business. I work my off to get it going. I try my best to get what I have now. All to feel okay, and where am I? Feeling lousy. Lousy is where I am at.”

                “Sometimes I think I probably shouldn’t have tried so hard, you know. It doesn’t seem to be getting me anywhere. People hate me, fear me, lust over me, but they hardly ever really and truly love me.”

                “That’s not true. It can’t be true.” Tao said.

                “It can. Trust me, it can.” Kris gave a sad smile. “Have you ever slept in the same bed with someone but still feel like the loneliest piece of in the world? Have you ever threatened someone but still feel so uneasy? Have you ever smiled yet feel so god damn unhappy? Have you ever kissed yet still feel dead?”

                “No…”

                “I have. Every. Single. ing. Day.” Kris choked a little. “I thought Yixing might like me. I thought he might genuinely care for me.”

                “He does, that’s why he took you in and that’s why he yelled at you. He took every movement, every word, everything you did to heart. If he didn’t care, he would have left a long time ago.”

                “I don’t know Tao…”

                “Kris, I don’t know what happened in your past, but right now your present and your future is all that matters. I apologize for all the tards who tried to cross you, for every , male or female, that tried to use you for your body or for your money, and for everything that should have gone well end badly. But I swear on all that is holy, Yixing and I care about you.” Tao pulled Kris a little closer. “And that’s all we can offer.”

                “Tao…” Kris slurred again.

                He probably couldn’t hear anything that Tao said. He leaned forward and Tao caught his falling head and cradled him in his arms. The alcohol worked fast, and before you know it, Kris was knocked out. The living room smelled of alcohol and tears as Tao and Kris slept on the carpet floor together.

                And to all those who wonder, I did care. I cared about Kris a lot.

                Then again, I also care about others a lot. Sometimes, I care too much. That’s why I hurt so easily.

 

A/N: Another update! XD And if you're wondering, I want to know what SM was thinking when they pulled this stunt. you SM.