The Courtroom

Little Bambies

"Seoul District Court, 29th December 2014, 13.00 KST - The custody trial of Oh Sehun and Lu Han is beginning. May all the relevant parties of the case enter the courtroom"

Sehun watches as Lulu timidly entered the courtroom and walks her way to her seat on the left side of the room, ignoring Minseon's and Lay's glare from the audience seat as best as he can. He keeps on his flat face, feeling extremely secured with his family lawyer next to him. There are 7 judges in front of him, one being the head judge. A really old head judge.

"The custody trial between Oh Sehun and Lu Han begins." the head judge said. He picked up his hammer and hit it thrice, signaling the start of the trial.

"Now, the court has been over this case for two months, precisely in October; the day Mr. Oh has given Seoul District Court his file of custody pleads over twins - Lu Hoon and Lu Hannie." the head judge turned to Sehun's side. "Mr. Oh's lawyer may now state the reasons of which why the custody should be given to Mr. Oh."

The uptight man stood up from his seat next to Sehun, a paper of statements in his hands. "Good morning, your honor, juries, and audiences. As a lawyer for the Oh family, first of all, I would like to tell all of you that I've been working with the Oh family for more than a decade, so per say, I believe I know the Oh family pretty well. Oh Sehun, my client here, I know him for sure, that he wouldn't dare to throw away his responsibilities, especially one as big as being a father."

Sehun scoffed in his seat, isn't that just a known fact? He turned to glare at his ex-wife, to intimidate her. But then he found that the woman is listening intently to what his lawyer has to say, sitting all alone. What's her deal?

".. law states that a children under the law of South Korea's government are to receive all their rightful rights with no exception. I believe by hiding their children from Mr. Oh, Ms. Lu has broken the law. Therefore, another reason why the children's custody should be given to Mr. Oh."

Lulu flinched in her seat a little although she has expected those smart and proper attacking words to come out from Oh family's lawyer's mouth. She felt her fist clenching on her thighs, but she held it in. She searched the head judge's face to see his reaction of the crime she did - to her surprise, the old man looks like he's about to fall asleep anytime soon.

".. Mr. Oh is already declared capable of taking care of the kids as stated by the court's official. Mr. Oh is able to give his kids the family they need. And due to Oh family's stable more than average finance, Mr. Oh is able to provide more for the kids than Ms. Lu."

"Alright. Stop it right there." the head judge stopped him. "Statements from Ms. Lu's lawyer, please."

"Thank you, your honor." Lulu said, standing up from her seat. "With all due respect, I'm going to be representing myself in this trial, if you may."

Sehun's eyes widened in horror, his hands unconsciously gripping the side of his chair. He figures that Lulu probably wouldn't want to use money to hire a lawyer as good as his knowing how expensive it will be. But he doesn't expect her trying to represent herself.

The head judge turned to Luhan, "You may continue, Ms. Lu."

She then flashed a polite thankful smile. "What Mr. Oh's side said is correct. I may have broken the law by hiding my children from their appa, resulting to the unfairness felt by Mr. Oh, and for that, I sincerely apologize."

An apology. Sehun keeps his face stoic, not willing to show any sign of the emotion he's feeling.

"But I do have an explanation for my actions. Mr. Oh and I divorced," Luhan and Sehun flinched a little, "in a not so good term. I was scared and insecure about my unknown pregnancy at the time. I do not wish to know what Mr. Oh would do to my babies if he found out about them and hate them."

What the fck does that mean?! Sehun cursed in his head. Does she- SHE THINKS I'M GOING TO MAKE HER KILL MY BABIES?!

"Therefore, my decision to keep my children a secret from him. I don't think my decision harm Mr. Oh in any way, so it just happened."

"How do you know it doesn't harm me?" Sehun muttered to himself, an i-can’t-believe-what-you-said expression on his face.

".. for all the years that I've been taking care of my children, I believe that I've been doing a great job raising them by myself. I'm financially stable, I'm able to provide them their needs, and I know I would never laid my hands on my children. I love them with all my heart and I think that has been enough for the past 4 years."

"So in your defense?" the head judge asked.

"In my defense, I don't think it's fair for me to not be able to be with my kids. I was the one who gave birth to them, takes care of them, and love them. They love me too. So the children's custody should be given to me." Lulu finished.

"Very well." The head judge turned back to Sehun's side. "Anything you want to counter from Ms. Lu's statements?"

When the Oh family's lawyer was about to stand up, Sehun simply pulled the man's suit, signaling for him to stop - that he thinks they've done enough. The lawyer obeyed Sehun and gave a "No, your honor" to the head judge.

"If that so, since Ms. Lu is the defendant here, we need to hear some testimony." the head judge continued, "Mrs. Kim Minseon, please stand up and state your testimony."

Minseon stood up from the audiences' seat and took the paper she prepared. "I, Kim Minseon, hereby as Lu Han's friend swears that the testimony I gave is real and not made up. We've been friends since highschool and I can make sure that what Lulu said earlier is completely true. I witnessed her raising the twins with love, care, and warmth. You have my words on this."

One of the other judges, the one sitting next to the head judge then gave the old man notes of the twins' records (the ones Luhan submitted) and the copy of Minseon's full testimony. To their surprise, the head judge doesn't even bother to open or to read the documents, but shove it on his table instead.

Lulu swears she heard Minseon facepalming herself and Lay patting the baozi woman's back for some weird reason.

"Mr. Oh, do you object Mrs. Kim Minseon's testimony?" the old head judge asked, rubbing his chin.

Sehun simply shook his head left and right. Before he knew who the twins' mama is, he already complimented their mama for raising them well anyway. No matter how hurt he has been by Lulu's action, he does admit that the woman has been a great mother for his kids.

"Alright. Then let me ask Mr. Oh some questions," the head judge started, "If Ms. Lu is really a great mama, then why would you plead custody to the court?"

 "Mr. Oh pleaded cust-"

"Pish-posh, Lawyer. I was asking Mr. Oh, not you." the head judge cut through. Oh family's lawyer was shocked, but excused himself anyway. "So Mr. Oh?"

"I think I will be able to raise my kids better." Sehun answered simply. Isn't it obvious?

"Can't you do that with Ms. Lu? Together?"

"Ms. Lu said it herself, didn't she? That the two of us separated with bad terms." Sehun answered boldly. "I don't think that's an environment I want my kids to grow up in."

"What kind of environment exactly?"

"An environment where two people who are raising them fight and argue with each other everyday." Sehun replied shortly. He can see Lulu lowering her head from his peripheral vision.

The head judge said nothing in reply, he appeared speechless and frustrated. "Can I have Mr. Oh and Ms. Lu come up here and stand in front of me?"

"E-excuse me?" Sehun and Lulu asked almost at the same time.

When the head judge gave them a look, they know that they should just follow his instruction. So unwillingly, both Sehun and Luhan stood up from their seats and walk out with slumped shoulders, leaving their sides to stand next to each other in the middle right in front of the head judge. The old man looked satisfied as he rubs his chin.

"Now you two hold hand with each other," the old man continues rubbing his chin. "both hands."

Jinx. Luhan and Sehun turned their heads to look at each other, exchanging shocked looks. The two heard the juries beginning to talk among themselves, gossiping about the current situation. Sehun threw a questioning look at his lawyer, what is this situation? but his lawyer just looks as flabbergasted because it's also the first time this kind of situation has occurred to him in his decades of career.

In the middle his confusion, Sehun suddenly came to a conclusion that it should be better to just do as told so it can be over with fast. So he reached for Lulu's hands. But when it came to contact, Lulu immediately flinched backwards, surprised of the sudden touch. She gave Sehun a look, hoping he'll get the hint to be in sync with her and object the head judge's weird request.

"Hurry up!" the head judge half said - half whispered, scratching his chin.

But Sehun took it as her being stubborn, thought she was challenging him. So he reached for her hands again, only to have Luhan retracting her hands away again in surprise. Seriously woman, let's get this over with Sehun hinted with his eyes, but Luhan gave him a look again This is weird, let's object to this together.

"OH MY GOD! Would you two just freaking hold hands now?!" the head judge exploded with anger. "How long does it take to freaking hold hands?! How hard can holding hands be when you two have made twins together?!"

The Oh family's lawyer stood up from his seat, "With all my due respect, excuse me sir, but-"

"SHUT UP YOU EXPRESSIONLESS MAN! I'M TALKING TO THE TWO DUMMIES!" the old man yelled, his patience running low. Sehun and Luhan are still too confused to even notice that a judge just called them dummies.

"But s-"

"SH!T THIS BEARD IS SO ITCHY IT GETS TO MY NERVES!" the head judged cursed out loud before he started taking off his fake beard, his thick glasses, pull off his fake mustache, fake 'sticker' mole, and his brown vintage hat. Afterwards, he started shaking his head; like a dog trying to get rid of water on its fur, Kim Jongdae is trying to get rid of powder from his hair.

Sehun's eyes popped out so wide in recognition, almost as if it will fall out of its socket. "What the f- KIM JONGDAE?!"

"Jongdae, why are you there?" Luhan spoke up, voice shaky because she's as shocked as her ex-husband. She quickly turned around to the audience seat where Minseon and Lay are seated. Both girls gave her a sheepish smile, mouthing sorry with their lips.

"What? Do you guys really expect a real head judge to be here?" Jongdae asked simply.

Both Sehun and Lulu nodded. The two of them have put in a lot of effort to prepare for today's trial, knowing it will decide their fates with their children; but why is the head judge who is supposed to solve their problems turns out to be Kim Jongdae?!

"Your honor-"

"SOMEONE GRAB THE DAMN LAWYER AND KICK HIM OUT PLEASE!" Jongdae yelled.

Then the 'judges' at both ends of the long table stood up from their seats, walked to the Oh family's lawyer, and began dragging the man by his arm. The A-list lawyer complained to be put down with charisma but to no avail anyway.

Sehun watched as his lawyer disappeared from the courtroom. "What the- who are these people?"

Jongdae shrugged. He pointed to the juries, "They're Jongin's dance-company trainees," he pointed to the other judges, "they're Kris' bodyguards," and lastly he pointed to the audiences, "they're Minseon's cooking club buddies."

 "Where are the real judges, juries, and audience?" Lulu asked, looking around the fake members of the courtroom.

"And what happened to the documents I sent to the court to plead custody?" Sehun too, asked.

"Well, Joonmyun has connections within the Seoul's court officials so he has his man intercept the custody's documents before the court got it. Then he asked to borrow this courtroom for today. We sent the real judges and juries to brunch at a 4 star restaurant. Cleanly done." Jongdae smirked, bragging.

"These rich people seriously." Lulu muttered under her nose, but it was loud enough for Sehun to hear. The blonde man sighed and silently agreed to Luhan's little complain.

Sehun rolled his eyes. "Right, whatever. Quit joking around. Call the real judges."

Hearing the blonde CEO's request, Jongdae took a deep breath, he leaned forward and put his hands on the table. For a few seconds there, the courtroom was eerie quiet, people inside it feeling incredibly awkward.

"Well that's one dumb a question. Do you really think we would let you guys go through with this?" Jongdae asked them in disbelief. The we in his sentence referring to him and the rest of their bestfriends. "This is like watching our brother and sister destroying themselves and their family. Do you really think we'll let that happen?"

After years, this is probably one of the few times Jongdae has ever looked so serious about something. There is not one trace of trolling on his face, no glint of mischief in his eyes, nor a curve on his lips. Minseon loves it when her man gets like this (so she took pictures secretly).

"You're being ridiculous. We're not destroying ourselves! In fact, Luhan and I are getting this problem over with!" Sehun defended himself.

"And what are you planning to do once it's decided?" Jongdae challenged. "Tell me, Sehun. What do you think will happen to your millionaire if Lulu wins the custody? Are you really fine with not being able to be with your kids anymore? You'll let Lulu raise the twins by herself while you're sulking alone at home for the rest of your life?"

For the first time since months, Sehun went speechless.

"And Lu?" Jongdae turned to the chinese woman. "Are you willing to bet your own kids for this stupid game you two are playing? The game where you two try to make the other more miserable?"

Jongdae stops himself slightly when Minseon gestured for him to stop for awhile, letting the two dummies in front of him process what he just said into their brain.

"Lu Han, if Sehun wins the custody, do you really think you can continue living normally, knowing that your kids may never be allowed to be with you anymore?" Jongdae softened his tone after seeing the tear that dropped from Luhan's eyes. "You'll be a living dead, don't you think?"

Minseon took another shot of her husband. That's my man! She cheered proudly internally, grinning smugly at Lay, practically bragging about her charming man. Lay only nodded, knowing that Jongdae will turn back to a troll soon anyway and Minseon would be smacking his head afterwards because he's embarrassing her once again.

"If you two think you're miserable," Jongdae continued. "how do you think your kids feel right now? Separated from one of their parent and their brother or sister. Do they deserve this?"

Sehun exhaled, angry. "So what the fck do you suggest we do?! Can't you see how hard it is for me and Lu to even stand next to each other like this?! I don't want to see her and she doesn't want to see me ever again! It's like opening old wounds for both of us when we meet! How do we suppose to raise kids together like this?!"

"So you'd rather have your kids miserable?!" Jongdae half-yelled. "It's better for innocent Hoon and pure Hannie to suffer for their parents?! STOP BEING SELFISH! DON'T MAKE THE TWINS MISERABLE JUST BECAUSE YOU TWO ARE!"

Like a kid scolded by her parents, Lulu looked down in shame, tears pouring down her cheeks as she shake her head left and right. Sehun too looked down in shame, his lips tightened, silently admitting how selfish he and Lulu had been.

"You two are parents. You two make the sacrifice for your kids." Jongdae said, slumping back to his seat because he's tired from scolding his friends. "Not the other way around. Do it for them and yourself."

 

Luhan walks out the courtroom absentmindedly. She blankly walked out with her documents hugged to her chest. Jongdae's words are still replaying itself in her head. I was selfish. I only thought of my own wellbeing, not caring about how my kids feel. She let her feet carry her wherever, not really noticing the other people she bumped into.

Suddenly, a hand grabbed her by her arm and guided her out from the court building. She was too shocked and too disappointed in herself, so she just let the person took her all the way to his car. He sat her on the passenger seat before he went to sit on the driver's seat. Luhan turned her head slightly to see him.

Sehun. It was Sehun.

Wordlessly, the blonde man began driving his car out of the parking lot. Quiet, not even the radio is on. Sehun grips his steering wheel tight, Lulu stays where she's seated, both looking out to the front as buildings, street lamps, and trees passed by them. It was almost four in the afternoon when they were done, so the sun was still out, shining through the car window.

Luhan knows the road they're taking. It's the route to Chanyeol and Baekie's mansion. They're picking up the twins now. But different from her guess, Sehun turned left exactly before the turn to the Park's mansion. Lulu looked at him with a questioning look, but Sehun won't budge and kept driving. He stopped his car in front of the neighborhood park.

When they finally stopped, Sehun leaned back to his seat, resting his head on the headrest, closing his eyes. Lulu watched him, wondering what he's up to.

"I know what you're thinking." Sehun started, startling Lulu a bit. "I'm selfish, I'm the worst parent in the world, how can I do this to my kids. I'm thinking the same thing."

Lulu hesitates a little before replying her ex-husband. "I guess we're finally on the same page after awhile."

Sehun lets out a small weak laugh at that. They used to be always on the same page. The irony. "There are so many things I actually want to say to you now. I'll start with; h-how are you doing?"

"S-sehun .."

"I know. That's so damn awkward." Sehun laughed weakly again. "I've been a real jerk this time, haven't I?"

"You're not. I have a part in this mess too." Luhan said, smiling apologetically, meeting eyes with Sehun for the first time since they're in the car.

"A small part." Sehun smiled back. "If I didn't come into your lives and tried to recklessly win sole custody over the twins, all of this won't happen. Hoon and Hannie must still be happy together with you. In the end, I'm always the bad guy."

The chinese woman started fiddling with the hem of her blazer, something she does when she's nervous. "In stories, there's always another bad guy from the past who made the main bad guy bad. If it wasn't for me hiding the twins from you in the first place, I guess you wouldn't try to take them away from me either. I'm the other bad guy."

"Fair enough." the corner of Sehun's lips curved up. "I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I even tried to take the kids away from you. I was super wrong and I regret all my actions."

Bambi eyes looked up to Sehun's apologetic brown eyes in surprise. "T-thankyou."

Sehun simply shrugged. "That's the right thing to say. I mean it sincerely, Lu."

At the sweet-toned mention of her name, Lulu felt warm all over. It feels like a huge rock was lifted from her back now that the cat is out of the bag.

"You raised them really well, Lu." Sehun added another comment. He never meant anything he has said about Lulu being a bad mama - it just came out because he was blinded by hatred.

"Then w-w-why would you try to take them from me anyway?"

"I'm not sure." Sehun rubs the back of his neck. "I- after you left, everything just felt empty, you know? I'm so used to having you by my side all the time, I felt so lost. Then our friends started picking your side more. I'm left all alone, no one to cheer me up even though I was just lost my wife. It .. ."

Luhan listened to her ex-husband's story intently. It felt good to know that she wasn't the only one feeling lost back then. Their friends didn't really pick her side, they were helping her adjusts with the twins in her stomach back then. It never occured to her that Sehun would feel left alone. Why would he be alone when he has all those classy rich women with him back then?

".. maybe it's because you're the twins' mama. But I felt jealous that the twins love you so much more than they love me. Plus, it's not fair that you were happy with the twins all this time while I'm left alone, thrown away. I just thought that if I can have the twins by my side, everyone else would come back to me. And that you'll feel how lonely and bad I felt back then."

"I'm sorry too." Lulu blurted out. It's been in the tips of her tongue for the past years, the guilt is suffocating her. "I'm sorry that I hid the twins away from you. I should've told you. They're your kids too."

Sehun turned to see the woman he loved. She was shaking in her seat, her head lowered down. It was hard to notice, but Sehun didn't know her for a long time for nothing. He knows that Lulu is holding back her tears right now. That crybaby never changed.

"Back then, since you divorced me, I thought you don't want me anymore. If you don't want me, then why would you want the babies inside of me? I was scared that you'll tell me to ab-abort them or you'll grow to hate them when they're born. I don't want to hear you rejecting our kids, so I just hide them from you." Luhan finished. "I'm sorry."

 "Thank you, Lu." Sehun smiled, genuinely for the first time.

Lulu nodded. She looked down to her lap and played with her fingers. "W-were you mad? When you found out that we actually have kids?"

"I found out they're my kids after I somehow fell in love with them, so finding out that they're my flesh and blood is the best news I've ever heard." Sehun confessed. "I was mad when I found out you hid them from me."

"I'm not going to hide them anymore. You found out about them anyway." Lulu laughed weakly.

Hearing that, Sehun almost jumped out his seat. "So you're letting me raise the twins with you from now on?!"

"Well, yeah. It's the right thing to do. Jongdae said so too." Luhan shifted uncomfortably in her seat. "Besides, Hoon and Hannie love you and they have always wanted a father figure. The baba I made up never comes home from work, they're already suspicious of me."

The two laughed slightly, not too freely. If anyone sees, they'll know that both Sehun and Luhan are still putting up a small wall between them. Both on guard, still not trusting each other that much just in case.

But then again, if they want to be real parents and give their bests for Hoon and Hannie, they'd have to overcome the past, forget them, and start anew.

"I know that it will be hard for us. W-we have a past that we both want to forget." Lulu started, "C-can we really do this?"

"I don't see why we can't. If we love Hoon and Hannie, we need to overcome that for them." Sehun cleared. "We're going to raise our kids together from now on."

It still sounds weird for them to say 'our kids'. Even weirder to say that they're going to raise 'their kids' together. Two people with a past that broke up with bad terms are trying their best to be one again. For the sake of their babies.

"S-sehun, how are we going to raise them together?"

"We can figure that out later." Sehun smiled happily. He started his car engine and pressed on the pedal. "Let's pick Hoon and Hannie up for now. I miss them already."


 

 

{author's note}

This is so badly written OTL

I'm sorry. In my defense, I never write any trial/court scene before. I watch Law and Order SVU a lot in the past lol but they're mostly about ual abuse trial - I have no reference on custody trial scene so i apologize deeply.

THE ANGST IS FINALLY OVER OH MY I'M SO PROUD OF MYSELF!
I revealed why Sehun was acting the way he was in the last few months, so I hope you don't misunderstand him anymore :) He's human and he's hurt. You know what they say; the most hurt human do the darnest things .. no? okay.

Preparing the fluffy chapters now! <3 I might not update for awhile, but I hope you'd put up with it :)
I promise to try to write my bestest and fastest lol

I LOVE YOU ALL;
My subscribers <3, my upvoters <3, and every single mean comments saying bad things about Sehunnie all this time lol :)

Gonna go for now!
Subscribe, upvote, and leave your (i'm hoping nice) comments bellow :)

 

P.S iknowit'slate but - Happy Palm Sunday. May God be with you :)
P.P.S It's Easter soon! So Happy early Easter <3

- KPOPMonstahh