15 | FIFTEEN

Married To My Boss
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter Fifteen

 

Haru blinked and stared at the girl who was staring back at her. Her gaze moved to her beautifully curled hair that has been placed on one side of her shoulder. Even though her hair wasn't decorated with any accessories or hairclips, Haru thought it looked beautiful - simple and radiant. Her gaze then landed on the light green chiffon dress which bared her shoulders and flowed down to the floor, making her look like she was ready for prom. The dress hugged her perfectly, revealing her curves and bringing out her beauty. She then slowly lifted her gaze to meet her eyes and unlike the beauty in her dressing, she was met with red eyes that brought fear and anxiety. Haru watched as the girl bit her bottom lip and registered the pain on her own. She then blinked once more before looking at the figure before her from top to bottom, noticing how the figure seems to mirror her actions.

"No matter how much you stare at the mirror, you'll only see yourself, Haru." she turned, finally moving her gaze away from her own reflection to meet Liyin's soft smile. "How are you?" the Chinese female asked, moving closer to the main character of tonight's event. Haru watched as she moved so much grace in her champagne coloured dress, making her feel shallow. Liyin noticed her actions and held her shoulders firmly once they were standing face to face. "You look beautiful, dear. Don't look down on yourself. My cousin is so lucky to have you." She sighed and turned away to look into the mirror again, noticing how she had failed to smile despite the praise given by the elder. "Haru..." she turned her head  without looking up at Liyin, waiting for her next words. "It's not too late to turn back."

"What?" she finally spoke, turning her body fully to face Liyin once more with widened eyes. Liyin smiled at her. "I said, it's not too late to turn back and stop all this." "But -- " "Haru, you don't have to feel pressured to do this. Sure, our grandfathers had promised each other but they can't force you to do something you don't want to do." she told the younger. "Say the words and I'll send everyone home." Haru took a deep, suffocating breath and turned to slowly take a seat on the couch nearby before her knees could give up on her. Liyin approached the girl and sat next to her, one hand on her shoulder where she could feel Haru's body tremble under her touch. "Haru -- "

"I can't." she whispered and Liyin nodded. "Then I'll tell everyone." she said, about to stand up but Haru grabbed her wrist and pulled her back down. "I can't turn back." she cleared and Liyin frowned. "And why not?" she asked. "Haru, it's clear that this isn't what you want. I -- " "Yes, I don't want this. I'm not ready for this." Haru's eyes glistened with tears and she slowly lifted her gaze to meet Liyin's eyes. "I made my promise, Liyin. I can't break it. I've come this far so I can't turn back. I don't have the heart to disappoint Grandpa Wu. I can't disappoint mother either. Not when... not when...." "Not when what, Haru?" the other asked softly. "Not when she's so proud of me now." the younger whispered in pain. "What?"

Instead of explaining, Haru shook her head and tears started to make their way down her face. "I can't turn back now. It'll hurt Grandpa Wu. I'll hurt mother. I don't want to hurt her anymore. Not anymore." she cried and Liyin quickly gathered the broken girl in her arms, rubbing circles on her back to calm her. She didn't know what Haru meant by that, but she knew she didn't have the right to ask. Not when Haru herself was not willing to tell her. Liyin also knew she could not change the girl's mind, so instead she soothed her and wiped her tears away. "In that case, stop your crying. You're ruining your make up, sweetheart." she said. "I won't ask anything. But I beg you to wipe your tears and gather yourself together. I'll have to bring you downstairs soon and you can't look like this on your engagement day."

So Liyin redid Haru's make up, keeping it simple since it matches her best. Just as she placed the final touch, came a knock on the door and Liyin went to open it. There stood Kris, looking handsome in his suit and bow. He had a blank look on his face and Liyin worried that it might just worsened Haru's conditioned. Before allowing him in, the female pulled her cousin to the hallway. Kris frowned at her actions but nevertheless allowed his cousin to pull him. "What's going on?" he asked. "Haru is in a bad state." she told him, keeping her voice low even though they were the only ones there. Kris looked at her in confusion and she sighed. She quickly told him what had happened in short and the male finds himself worrying over his fiancé. His eyes travelled to the door of the suite where Haru was in and he sighed. "What now?" he asked and Liyin sighed.

"We go on with it." she said and Kris looked at her funny. "After her outbreak?" "Yifan, just do it." she told him firmly and her sighed. "If she doesn't like it, why go on with it?" he asked in frustration and Liyin glared at him. "Did you not hear what I told you? I don't know what's going on but Haru said something about not wanting to disappoint her mother and not wanting to hurt her. Again. Do you know something about this?" Kris frowned at this information and shook his head, turning his gaze to the door again. Liyin sighed. "Yifan, she's secretly a fragile young lady and I beg you from the bottom of my heart; take good care of her. Please?" Kris stared at his cousin, confused on why she was begging for Haru when they've only recently met but he refused to question it. Instead, he gave her a firm nod and walked pass her to enter the suite.

 

 

Kris

Never have I feared for someone so much. Seeing her blank expression instead of her usual various expressions, it scared me. Is this how people felt when they see me? Why does it hurt to see her like this? it! I hated the fact that I was starting to care for her. But a part of me assured me that it's fine to care about her since she was now my responsibility. In less than a month, I will be wed to her and she will be my full responsibility then. This is just the beginning... The elevator ride to the third floor of the hotel was so quiet. Even though I was used to it before, it scared me now. Why? Because I'm not the reason behind the silence. Haru is... I stared at her reflection from the elevator walls and realised that she was staring ahead, probably lost in her own world. I reached for her arm that was linked to my other one and she jumped a bit before turning to me.

"You look beautiful," I told her and she blinked before a faint tint of red coloured her cheeks. I inwardly smiled at this. At least, she doesn't look so dead. "This is it," she suddenly whispered and I sighed. "Haru." "Yes, Kris?" I turned my head to her and our eyes met. "You can always turn back." She blinked and looked away just as the elevator stopped on the third floor. As the door opened, I heard her say "I don't want to." I swallowed hard and lead her out of the elevator where the guys were. They all smiled when they saw us and I managed a short glance at Haru to see her smiling in return. How does she do that? "This is it, guys~" Chen sing-sang as he approached us. "You guys ready for this?" he asked and I glanced at Haru. "I'm ready," she smiled and turned to me. I softly sighed to myself and nodded. "Let's get this over with."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter