GANG BRAWL 38 - Top of the Mountain

MY GANGSTER PROTECTOR
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

credits: VIIXVII

 

DARA

 

To: Jiro

From: Dara

 

I got a part-time job at a publishing company in Sunset District! I’ll be assisting the editorial staff. I saw the books they published and most of them are the ones that I liked. They told me the authors sometimes drop by the publishing company. I hope I can meet them. I’m so excited to learn a lot!

 

How are you? How’s your training? Take care of yourself. Don’t be grumpy and smile a lot, okay?

 

Dara

 

P.S. Here’s a picture of me trying out my outfit for my first day in my part-time job. What do you think?

 

 

 

To: Dara

From: Jiro

 

Congratulations. Don’t take night schedules. I don’t want you going alone at night. It’s dangerous. And be wary of the guys in that company. Don’t get too close with them and always be on guard.

 

I’m doing fine here. I’m not grumpy.

 

Jiro

 

P.S. Your skirt is too short, Ramirez. You better have it altered and you better send me the pic again WITH THE CORRECT LENGTH.

 

 

 

To: Jiro

From: Dara

 

My skirt is fine!

 

 

 

To: Dara

From: Jiro

 

No. The old farts in that company will ogle at you. CHANGE IT.

 

 

 

To: Jiro

From: Dara

 

Grumpy!

 

 

 

To: Dara

From: Jiro

 

I love you.

 

 

 

To: Jiro

From: Dara

 

I love you too.

 

 

 

The new school year had begun and a lot of changes happened, yet, we didn’t seem bothered by it. Perhaps we were just excited with the new things that were coming our way. Or perhaps, we finally learned to welcome those that we could not avoid.

 

Namee already left her part-time job at the club and was planning to join me at the publishing company. Bullet was getting busier ever since we entered senior year. He once mentioned that he planned to take care of his father’s business. That’s why he was trying to learn what he could in school.

 

Picaro became the next Black Dragon’s leader. I don’t know how he can juggle his time leading his gang, taking care of the rowdy Bonsai and dealing with Namee, because seriously – Namee Cheng. My best friend can really be a handful sometimes. Stone drops by my house from time to time to check on me as requested by Jiro, and I’m really grateful to him for always helping him out.

 

I sighed as I sat on one of the round tables in front of the Arts Building. I’m not bothered by the changes in my life except for one thing – Jiro’s absence. Day by day, the hole that Jiro left was becoming bigger. My house felt empty…the school felt empty. It was like his memory was imprinted in everything that I laid my eyes on.

 

Whenever I hear that the Black Dragons were walking on the hallway, I sometimes find myself expecting to see him walking in front, leading his gang. Whenever I look at my balcony, I can see the silhouette of his back, only to be disappointed because it’s just an empty space.

 

I miss him so much.

 

I miss his voice calling my name. Ramirez, as he always called me with his blank stare and his stoic expression. I miss the feeling of his touch. I miss his reassuring presence as we walk home together. I miss those moments of silence where we enjoy our quiet time together. I miss his arms around me, holding me tight as we sleep.

 

But this kind of change was necessary for us to move forward.

 

“Dara,” a female voice interrupted my thoughts. I lifted my gaze and was surprised to see Riko approaching me. “Hello,” she greeted.

 

“Hi.”

 

Riko sat beside me and gave me a timid smile, nervously fiddling with her fingers. “Um...” She dropped her gaze on her lap, sighing a bit before speaking. “This is long overdue, but I want to apologize to you personally. What I did before was really stupid and I know I hurt you and Jiro,” she mumbled and stared at me shyly.

 

I looked at her and as expected, the ill feeling was now gone. “It was a long time ago. Don’t worry about it anymore,” I said. “I’ve already forgiven you.”

 

She inhaled deeply and a bright smile curved on her lips, as if something heavy had been lifted off her. “I’m glad to hear that.”

 

“But don’t do it again, Riko. If things don’t go your way, don’t force it.”

 

“Yes,” she said, shifting her gaze forward. “I’ve learned it the hard way. I was desperate for love back then. I thought the hollow feeling would disappear if I have someone with me.” She shifted her gaze at me and smiled. “I’m doing a bit of modeling now – print ads and some magazine stint.”

 

“Are you planning to make it your career?”

 

“Maybe. But for now, I’m taking things slowly. I’m enjoying it though.”

 

I stared at her and I saw a different woman, far different from the girl who once crumbled in front of me because of a guy.

 

“You’re right, Dara. I can live without him,” I heard her say. “I’m living for myself now. And it’s not as bad as I thought it would be.”

 

I smiled back at her, genuinely happy that she found the answer that filled the void in her heart.

 

Time flew and everyone was now looking forward instead of looking back. Jiro had found himself too. In the midst of all the changes going on around us, everyone was slowly finding their place.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

DARA

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter