part ii - in a land far, far away

a semi, kinda, sorta fairytale

 

 

 

 

 

"Stop laughing."

 

Chanyeol folds his arms across his chest and sinks sulkily against the high-backed, velvet chair in the Parks' home library. He watches irritably while his supposed best friend doubles up in laughter as he sits on top of the table in front of the taller man. He hasn't gotten enough sleep last night, staying up thinking about his currently lost angel, and Chanyeol isn't in the best of moods.

 

"Did you even see his face?" Baekhyun manages to wheeze out.

 

Chanyeol's leg shoots up to kick his friend's shin with a slippered foot. "I didn't tell you all that for you to make fun of me! To answer your question, no, I didn't see his face but I knew, okay?"

 

His assistant takes a deep breath to stifle his laughter although his lips are still spread into a toothy grin. He picks up the Sunday paper from the table and opens it on the Society pages where there's a whole spread dedicated to the ball last night. There's a big picture of Chanyeol in his black suit, standing on stage. "The Prince of Park Industries, looking for his Cinderella," he reads the  caption out loud. "I was away from you one night—"

 

The taller guy straightens up. "Yeah, I still haven't forgiven you for abandoning me."

 

"For the thousandth time, I did not abandon you," Baekhyun sighs. "Okay, so let me get this straight," he says while he plucks a file folder from beside him, "you're telling me to help you search for the owner of the necklace you found in a party that was attended by hundreds of guests," he waves the guest list in front of Chanyeol's nose, "and you're going to marry him because you fell in love with his neck?"

 

"It's not just his neck, Baekhyun," the younger male tries to explain. "It's... it's his.. You said it yourself, when you see the one, you'll know."

 

Baekhyun studies his face. "So you're really sure he's the one?"

 

"Yeah." Chanyeol stands up and walks behind the chair, grabbing onto the backrest, barely containing the excitement he feels. "Just as you described it, Baek. Slowly and then all at once." A strange look passes over Baekhyun's eyes and Chanyeol's brow arches. "What?"

 

His assistant shakes his head. "Nothing. It's just when I said it—well, nevermind. So how do you propose we do this? There are 300 people in this list, Park. I need more details than 'the moonlight shone on his hair and he's glowing, Baek' speech you gave me earlier," Baekhyun says dryly.

 

Chanyeol can feel a slight blush settle on his cheeks. Hearing his own words from his best friend's mouth is kind of embarassing. He sounded like a teenage girl gushing over her first crush. But what can he do? That's how he saw him and that's how he felt. He admits what he told Baekhyun was vague at best and there isn't really much else to work with, still he attempts to describe the man—more realistically this time.

 

"Okay," Chanyeol takes a fortifying breath, recalling the way his one-winged angel looked. "So he has black hair, not just normal black..  like this midnight-black silk and," he sees the look Baekhyun is giving him so he clears his throat, "yeah, black. He has fair skin, and um, he's short, kinda? I think he reaches," he gestures with his right hand and stops when it's on level with his nose, "just about here."

 

Baekhyun, who was jotting down notes on the margin of the guest list, glances up at his boss and stills. "He sounds awfully like me."

 

Chanyeol's a bit taken a back—eyes travelling from the tops of Baekhyun's raven-black hair to his boyish features, down to his short legs—because, yeah, taken at face value, his words perfectly describe his best friend. But it's beyond absurd. He snorts. "Don't be ridiculous, Baek."

 

The smaller man puts down the list and purses his lips. "I feel as if I should be offended. What if it really was me?"

 

It's not the right time, he knows, but Chanyeol isn't one to pass up the chance to tease Baekhyun. Especially when his assistant looks quite adorable when he's flustered or when he's irate. Chanyeol saunters towards the other man, stopping only when he's standing in the space between Baekhyun's legs. He leans in until their noses are almost touching.

 

"Do you want it to be you, Byun?" he says, voice purposefully lowered to a seductive baritone—a mastered technique he uses to make everyone fall at his feet. "Are you saying you want me to marry you?"

 

Instead of backing away, Baekhyun moves forward letting their noses bump before he smirks. "In your dreams, Park."

 

The closeness isn't really anything new. They've been friends all their lives after all. So if Baekhyun expects him to back down, he's sorely mistaken. Chanyeol already has a nice comeback brewing on his lips when he angles his head to the side, pressing even closer, feeling satisfied with the way Baekhyun's eyes widened in surprise. But the words die in Chanyeol's throat and his mind kind of blanks out when his gaze accidentally wanders to the skin just above Baekhyun's collar. His stomach suddenly dips and he feels all kinds of weirdness twisting in his gut.

 

And it's more than strange. What the hell even, he has seen his best friend's neck a million times over but he hasn't had this sort of reaction before. It isn't like what he felt last night when he saw his angel. At all. But—

 

"Ouch!'" Chanyeol blurts out, stepping back and rubbing the side of his head, glaring at the pen Baekhyun hit him with. "What was that for?"

 

"I thought you fell asleep," Baekhyun answers with a grin, totally unrepentant. "Seriously, Park, this is what you get for not drinking your milk. You're getting slow with come backs."

 

"I'm not," Chanyeol mutters petulantly. He can't very well tell Baekhyun why he paused when he doesn't even know the reason himself. "But anyway, you weren't even there so as much as I'm open to the idea of you wanting to marry me—ouch, stop hitting me!"

 

"I'll stop," Baekhyun says but Chanyeol still takes the pen away from him. "You stop saying stupid things and stop playing around, too, if you want us to find your 'Cinderella' soon."

 

"Fine, fine."

 

"To make it easier for me—since you can't describe this paragon of yours—where's this necklace I keep on hearing about anyway?" Baekhyun gets down from the table and holds out his hand. "Care to show me?"

 

Chanyeol reaches inside his pocket for a small black jewelry box and hands it over to his best friend. He then makes his way to the table to pick up the guest list, deciding to browse through it while Baekhyun's looking at the necklace.

 

Kim Kibum. Kim Tae Hee. A million other Kims. Lee Dongwook. Lee Hyukjae. And a whole lot of Lees. Min Jaebum. Moon Homin. Mouse Mickey. No Minwoo... Wait.

 

"Mickey Mouse?" Chanyeol asks incredulously. He glances up at Baekhyun whose back is still to him. "I had a guest named Mickey Mouse?"

 

But it seems Baekhyun didn't hear him. The shorter man's not moving at all.

 

"Hey, Baek?" Chanyeol walks over to him and taps his friend's back. "Anything wrong?"

 

As if just waking up from a trance, Baekhyun turns and looks at Chanyeol but his expression is unreadable. "Is this... Are you sure the man you're looking for owns this necklace?" he asks haltingly.

 

The taller male nods, puzzled at his assitant's reaction. "Yeah, why?"

 

Baekhyun shakes his head. "Nothing, it's just... I have to go." He returns the box to Chanyeol and quickly walks out of the door.

 

"Baek, where are you going?" Chanyeol calls out but Baekhyun doesn't break stride and disappears down the corridor, leaving the Park heir befuddled.

 

Remembering it's the second time he has been walked out on in two days, Chanyeol sighs in exasperation. What the hell is wrong with everybody?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol answers the call on the third ring, annoyed but mostly relieved.

 

"Oh, so you're talking to me now?"

 

Of course he injects as much venom as he can muster. He can't very well let Baekhyun know the past day and a half has not only been the longest he has been away from his friend but they have also been the most miserable hours of his whole life. He is exaggerating but honestly, it isn't that much of a stretch.

 

"Of course, Park," Baekhyun answers and it's good to hear his voice over the phone.

 

"Where were you even?" Chanyeol stands up from his desk and moves towards the floorlength windows covering one side of his office, looking out at the tall buildings breaking the horizon into sharp, jagged lines.

 

"I had to take care of some things."

 

"What kind of things, Baek? Are they so important that you felt compelled to leave me to die for two days?!"

 

Baekhyun snorts from the other line and even that sound is welcome to Chanyeol. "Don't be overly dramatic, Park. I didn't leave you to die. It was just two work days without me and you have Mrs. Cho with you to take care of everything."

 

His assistant's right. Everything in the office is going perfectly well. All Chanyeol's left to do is to sign papers with his initials all day, that's how efficient Baekhyun and his secretary was but, "Still," Chanyeol replies stubbornly.

 

"Still what?"

 

"Still."

 

There's a moment of silence when all Chanyeol can hear is the steady rhythm of Baekhyun inhales and exhales. There’s something curling and clawing and building inside his chest. He's not familiar with this feeling and it's making him tighten his hold on the phone. It's strange that it's okay to stay like this, no words exchanged but knowing at least that Baekhyun's there. It makes breathing easier.

 

"Park Chanyeol," his friend says after a while, "are you really mad at me?"

 

"What do you think?" he bites out although he falls short of the effect he's aiming for.

 

"I'll buy you ice cream after work tomorrow," Baekhyun replies, completely ignoring his question. "With lots of nuts and chocolate syrup. Yum."

 

Damn, that was unfair.

 

"Tonight," he says just so he doesn't come off as easy. Even though he knows he is.

 

"Fine, tonight. Is the pwincess happy now?"

 

The taller man can't stop the grin forming on his face even if he tries. "No," he says but the wide smile spills onto his voice and gives him away. Baekhyun chuckles.

 

"Seriously, are you three?" Chanyeol hears a shuffling of papers and then Baekhyun speaks again. "Anyway, so aside from other stuff, I've been doing my own research and I believe I deserve a raise. I had your 300 plus plus plus guest list whittled down to three possible candidates for the position of Cinderella."

 

Chanyeol straightens up, ears perking. "Stop calling him that but woah, really?"

 

"Yes, your majesty," Baekhyun pauses to read from his list. "I checked for those who are closest to your description: male, black-haired, fair skin and height ranging from 173-178cm. Also all three of them left before your," he pauses for effect, "scandalous announcement."

 

The slight reprimand goes past Chanyeol's head. He's too preoccupied with news about his search. "Do I know any of them?"

 

"Hmm, they're all pretty prominent," more shuffling papers and then, "The first one is—"

 

"No!" Chanyeol abruptly cuts his friend off. "Don't tell me their names. I don't want to know anything until I see them in person. I don't want to have any bias or something."

 

There's a pause. "Well, okay. I'll go ahead and arrange a few days off for you so you can start your noble quest by tomorrow."

 

Chanyeol frowns. "My quest? You're not coming with me?" he asks, discontent palpable in his deep voice.

 

"Just so you know, I'm rolling my eyes at you right now," Baekhyun says but Chanyeol can tell his friend is smiling. "Of course I'd go with you. If you die—and I'm sure you'd die without me—I'd lose my job."

 

"I thought you said you didn't want your job." Chanyeol winces at how much he sounds like a whiny and needy three-year-old boy. He's helpless to stop it though. He blames it on Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun lets out a full throated laugh. "You are a terrible boss but you're my best friend. That's unfortunately a more binding contract."

 

"Boo for you, Yay for me, then," he jokes, feeling infinitely better, god know's why.

 

"Now be a good little pwincess and sign those important looking papers with your pretty pens and stop worrying your pretty head. I'll see you tonight, Park." Baekhyun ends the call even before Chanyeol can get a word in edgewise.

 

He returns behind his desk and drops down on his office chair, heart filled with anticipation. Not only will he get ice cream tonight but by this time tomorrow, who knows, maybe he'll have his soul mate where he belongs: right beside Chanyeol.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

They drive through wrought iron gates, on a stone path that stretches about half a mile and ends in front of a sprawling mansion. The estate borders the Park's on the West—not as big but certainly just as impressive. Chanyeol supposes he shouldn't be surprised that their first destination was somewhere near his own country home where the ball was held. If this person he's about to meet was the one-winged angel he saw that night, well then it'll be great. With only a few thousand acres of prime land between their houses, they're practically next-door neighbors!

 

Chanyeol starts to fidget in the passenger seat as the mansion looms closer, hooking his finger against the collar of his black button down shirt that probably costs one month's salary of a typical office worker. He barely stops himself from wiping his clammy hands on his designer jeans, his stomach uncharacteristically fraught with nerves.

 

He knows he's gorgeous—everyone said so since birth—and he never had to worry about his looks, but this time is different. It's his future with his soulmate on the line here and he's desperate to make a good first impression.

 

"You look fine so stop with your twitching," Baekhyun says from the driver's seat.

 

Chanyeol glances at his best friend who appears quite relaxed behind the wheels, dark sunglasses perched on top of his head and his thin lips pursed as he looks straight ahead. The blue cardigan looped around his neck contrasts nicely with his skin, making him look almost... well, pretty. Baekhyun's always so nicely put together, but he looks especially great today, considering they stayed up all night eating ice cream at the balcony of Chanyeol's apartment. They talked and talked, or more like Chanyeol went on and on about how he disapproves of Baekhyun's disappearing act before completely forgiving him without so much as a word from the shorter guy.

 

Even though Baekhyun's own apartment was just a door down the hall, Chanyeol asked him to stay the night. They ended up in his living room, side by side with their backs on the carpeted floor and their legs propped up on the couch, falling asleep at some hour past midnight—conversation dying when Chanyeol heard Baekhyun soft snores beside him.

 

"I'm not twitching," he answers. He sees Baekhyun's lips quirk. "I'm not."

 

Baekhyun's reaches over and grabs Chanyeol's left hand which was currently clutching on his thigh. His slender fingers find the spaces in between Chanyeol's larger ones and he squeezes lightly, palm warm against the back of his best friend's hand. The tension drains out of Chanyeol's body and the knots on his shoulders ease. Baekhyun flashes him a smile before his hand retreats, taking the warmth with it.

 

"Don't worry, Park. He's going to like you.”

 

“I am Park Chanyeol. Of course he will,” he replies with false bravado.

 

“That’s the spirit,” Baekhyun teases before continuing, “The man we’re going to meet is the eldest son of one of your father’s business partners... shall I proceed?”

 

Chanyeol nods, deciding he needs to know a little bit about the person so he wouldn't be taken completely by surprise.

 

“I’ve made an appointment with his assistant yesterday. Fortunately he agreed to meet us even with such a short notice. I learned he’s currently on a forced leave which is actually the only reason he was able to go to your ball,” his best friend explains, pausing when he makes a turn on the road.“Rumors say that his father had to literally ban him from their offices just so he would take time to relax.”

 

“A workaholic, huh?"

 

They stop in front of a three story mansion—its magnificent exterior painted a very pale eggshell blue and box windows with white shutters lining the second and third levels. Two columns flank the entrance where a man in casual clothes stands waiting for them.

 

Baekhyun kills the engine and looks over at Chanyeol, his small eyes checking for anything amiss and hand reaching out to gently fix Chanyeol's collar. "All set?"

 

Chanyeol's a bit nervous but he manages to say yes. They go out at the same time and walk up the wide steps towards the man who welcomes them. He looks kind, Chanyeol observes, a deep dimple appearing on the guy's right cheek when he greets them.

 

"Good afternoon!" the man says, bowing.

 

"Good afternoon," Baekhyun answers, "Mr. Zhang?"

 

"Just call me Yixing, please. And I assume you are Mr. Byun Baekhyun?" The two shake hands before Yixing turns to Chanyeol. "Mr. Park, I am Mr. Kim Junmyeon's assistant. He's in the backyard right now. This way please," he says as he ushers them inside.

 

The name sounds familiar to Chanyeol but he can't quite put a face to it. He gets a brief look at the spacious interior before they're being guided towards a set of doors leading to the gardens. They come upon a well tended landscape easily the size of an 18-hole golf course, not unusual in a place where properties spread out as far as the eye can see.

 

"Sir?" Yixing calls out. "The guests have arrived."

 

It is then that Chanyeol notices a slight framed man crouching over a row of rose bushes a few feet away. He's in a white long sleeved shirt tucked into dark slacks and a pair of shiny loafers—an ensemble not exactly fit for gardening which is what the guy is doing. His hands are covered with gloves, though, and he's holding onto garden shears.

 

The short man straightens and turns towards them. Chanyeol stiffens as he braces himself but the other's face is obscured by the shadow of his wide brimmed hat— protection against the sun beating down their heads.

 

"Oh, I'm sorry. I lost track of the time," the guy says as he ambles closer.

 

Chanyeol studies the other male as he makes his way towards them, strides sure and confident and speaking of the same breeding Chanyeol himself possesses. He's about the same height and build as his one-winged angel. This could be him, Chanyeol thinks.

 

The guy pauses and, along with his gloves, places the shears on top of a nearby table. He also takes off his hat and Chanyeol sees his face clearly for the first time. His raven black hair glinted in the sun, setting off his very fair skin. He has small, intelligent eyes, currently curved attractively as he smiles at his visitors.

 

He's definitely handsome but Chanyeol doesn't feel anything out of the ordinary while he stares at him—there were no fireworks; no restless electricity shooting through his body that he expected to feel when he found him again. Still he doesn't want to give up easily. He becomes intent on finding more similarities between his soulmate and Kim Junmyeon that he doesn't even notice that his assistant and the man already started talking.

 

"Thank you for having us, Mr. Kim," Baekhyun says.

 

"No problem," Junmyeon replies. "How may I—"

 

"Can I see your neck?" he blurts out and the three other men look at him in surprise. He belatedly realizes that it was kind of rude to ask for someone to show his neck—any body part—to a stranger he barely even knew.

 

Recovering from the silence that ensued after the odd request, Yixing steps in front of Kim Junmyeon the same time Baekhyun moves to stand beside Chanyeol, holding onto his shoulder (quite tightly, mind you). There's a sense of protectiveness in Yixing's stance and thankfully, Baekhyun has enough sense to pick up on it.

 

"I'm sorry, Mr. Kim, Yixing. Chanyeol was a premature baby and sometimes it shows," Baekhyun says, apologetically. Chanyeol glances down at his friend, indignant. Baekhyun gives him a warning look and another squeeze on his shoulder. "What he's trying to say is we're here because my boss is looking for someone he saw during the ball. The one you attended last Saturday. And he hopes—it's important for him to meet that person again. Unfortunately, the only thing he has seen clearly was his, uh, neck."

 

Junmyeon chuckles. "It's okay, I understand, I think?" He asks Yixing to move back, saying it's fine. "If it helps, I'd gladly do it." He gives them his back as he loosens the top buttons of his shirt. Chanyeol unconsciously holds his breath while Junmyeon bends his neck forward a little, exposing a smooth nape.

 

Nothing.

 

Chanyeol still feels nothing.

 

Junmyeon fixes his clothing and faces them again. He sees Chanyeol's expression and offers him an encouraging smile. "I'm sorry. I guess, I wasn't the one you were looking for."

 

"No, it's fine. I do apologize for being so forward," Chanyeol replies, a little embarrassed.

 

"Actually, I've heard of your 'search' since it's all over the news. I just didn't expect to be in your shortlist," Junmyeon quips good-naturedly.

 

"We are as of now looking into all possibilities," Baekhyun replies. "Once again, we do appreciate you seeing us."

 

Junmyeon invites them for some refreshments but Chanyeol refuses politely. "I think it's best if we'll be on our way since it's already getting late," he says. In truth, he wants to get out of here, rest... and deal with his disappointment alone.

 

"Excuse me, Mr. Zhang." The Kims’ butler appears beside Junmyeon's assistant and relays a message only Yixing can hear. After a few more exchanges, the butler nods and disappears into the house again.

 

Yixing turns to Chanyeol and Baekhyun. "It seems the media has caught on Mr. Park being here. They're currently stationed outside the gates, waiting for you." Junnmyeon's brows furrow, obviously bothered by the news. "I'm sorry, Mr. Kim really dislikes receiving attention like this."

 

Baekhyun bows and apologizes again. "We'll get going, then. Thank you for your time."

 

"Looking forward to more business with you," Chanyeol adds.

 

"Oh, but you can't take the front gates. Use the one in the south, it's the one bordering your property so you can just cross directly to your estate there," Junmyeon says kindly.

 

Yixing walks them to the door and soon the two are off, Chanyeol back at the passenger seat and Baekhyun behind the wheels. The taller man looks out the window, mind too occupied with replaying the meeting with Kim Junmyeon to notice Baekhyun's worried glances.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

They arrive at the Park residence in time for dinner. The two friends chose to eat outside by the veranda instead of the large formal dining room. Chanyeol remains pensive while he twirls his fork absently.

 

Baekhyun, who isn't used to the silence, watches him from across the table and deciding he's had enough, nudges Chanyeol's foot under the table. "Hey."

 

Chanyeol looks up. "Huh?"

 

"You've been quiet and you're playing with your food. You only do that when you're bothered about something. What is it?"

 

Baekhyun tilts his to the side, reminding Chanyeol of an inquisitive puppy. The image lifts the corner of his mouth into a half-smile. "I was just thinking... maybe I'm doing this all wrong."

 

"You were thinking?" Baekhyun says with widened eyes before smirking.

 

Chanyeol nudges Baekhyun's foot hard in retaliation. "Shut up. I'm serious." He leans over the table. "I realized it's silly, me looking for my soulmate like this."

 

Baekhyun's brow arches, astonished. "So you're giving up?"

 

"No, no," Chanyeol denies with a firm shake of his head. "I'm not. It's just, on the way here, I've been going through some things in my head. Earlier," he looks down at his plate, "I was really hoping I'd find him. When I saw Kim Junmyeon from afar, my heart started to beat fast because from that distance he looked so much like him. But when I saw his face, I felt nothing. I didn't even take out the necklace because—I don't know, I was just sure he wasn't the one. After that, well, I felt shallow?"

 

He glances at his friend's face. Baekhyun's frowning. "How so?"

 

"I'm judging people by the way their necks look, Baek." Chanyeol sighs.

 

"You're not shallow, Chanyeol," the older man admonishes. "And I'll buy a new gold-plated pen to hit you with if you say that again."

 

Chanyeol's a little taken aback at his best friend's tone. "Just saying, Baek."

 

"Park, it doesn't matter, okay?" Baekhyun takes the napkin from his lap and places it on the table. "Whether we find him through his neck or through his necklace, it doesn't matter as long as we find him for you." He stands up. "Now, let's turn in early and sleep. We'll go back to the city tomorrow to see the second one."

 

Baekhyun enters the house through the French doors, leaving Chanyeol gaping at the space he left. Was Baekhyun actually mad at him? His best friend never gets mad at him, annoyed yes, but not downright angry. What did he do?

 

He stumbles to his feet and follows Baekhyun inside, almost running in his haste to get to him. He finds his friend making his way up the grand staircase.

 

"Ya, Byun Baekhyun!" he calls out.

 

Baekhyun stops on his tracks and looks over his shoulder.

 

"You're being..." Chanyeol grapples for the right word. "You're being really weird." Not exactly the right word, but it's close enough.

 

The shorter males turns to face him. "What?"

 

"Why are you angry at me?" Chanyeol goes up and stops only when he's right in front of Baekhyun. He's stands two steps lower and it's rather different, this view of Baekhyun's face from this angle. "You're never angry at me but now you are. Don't even bother to deny it, I know you from the tops of your head to your tiny toes. And this," Chanyeol lifts his index finger and traces the droop of Baekhyun's lips and he finds something there that he didn't expect to see, "this means you're sad."

 

Baekhyun pushes his hand away. "I'm just tired," he mutters.

 

Something swirls painfully inside Chanyeol's chest because for the first time in more than two decades of friendship, Baekhyun's shutting him out. He doesn't know why but his best friend can't quite look him in the eye.

 

"Byun Baekhyun," he says quietly,"really?"

 

The older male lets out a drawn out sigh. "I'm just really annoyed at you right now. I hate it when people bad mouth you. I hate it when I hear people say you're good for nothing when I know that you're doing your best in the company. But what I hate the most is you saying bad things about yourself because then..."

 

Chanyeol waits for the rest of what his best friend's going to say but Baekhyun just bites on his lower lip. He gets sidetracked by the way Baekhyun nibbles at the softness there, watching as the damp flesh turns pink. Now, he realizes, he's the one being weird so he yanks his gaze back up at Baekhyun's eyes. "Because then?"

 

"Because then it means I'm ridiculous."

 

"Baek, honestly, I don't get it," he answers, genuinely confused.

 

Baekhyun mutters something that sounds suspiciously like idiot. Chanyeol's not certain but this conversation is awkward and puzzling and he's done with it. He grabs on Baekhyun's hand and drags him down the stairs towards an open doorway. Chanyeol pauses momentarily and turns on the lights. Dozens of crystal chandeliers light up and illuminate every corner of the empty ballroom.

 

Chanyeol pulls Baekhyun towards the center of the floor, not letting his friend escape his grip. He abruptly stops and faces Baekhyun, his other hand holding onto the elder's waist to keep him in place. "Let's dance."

 

"Of course, why not?" Baekhyun deadpans.

 

Chanyeol tsks. "What's with that attitude. Come on. You owe me a dance."

 

"You owe me a raise," Baekhyun glowers but he's already lifting his free hand and placing it on Chanyeol's shoulder.

 

The younger guy scoffs to hide his grin. "For what?"

 

"For putting up with you," Baekhyun says but his gaze softens when he looks up at Chanyeol. "And for forcing me to dance."

 

"But you should be grateful. I'm the best dancer in all of South Korea," he boasts. He holds onto Baekhyun tighter. "Let me show you."

 

Without warning, Chanyeol spins them around, faster and faster, until everything else was a blur and all he can see is Baekhyun's closed eyes and mouth parted in a silent squeal. He laughs out loud, feeling extremely happy, the disappointments and confusions of the day forgotten for the time being.

 

"Stop! Stop!" Baekhyun cries out.

 

Taking pity on his best friend, not to mention he's feeling woozy, too, Chanyeol halts and catches Baekhyun against his chest. He closes his eyes, resting his chin against the smaller man's temple, willing his mind to stop spinning. The raven haired man leans weakly against him for a bit before reaching up and pulling at Chanyeol's ear.

 

"I'm going to throw up on you, see if I don't," Baekhyun threatens but Chanyeol just chuckles.

 

"Oh, really now," he says laughingly. Baekhyun's still clinging onto him and Chanyeol unconsciously buries his nose against Baekhyun's soft hair, the scent of oranges filling his senses and spreading warmth throughout his body. He draws his friend closer and vaguely thinks it's nice, holding Baekhyun like this. Comfortable and nice.

 

Baekhyun shifts in his arms and he can feel his breath against his neck. "You can let go now," his assistant whispers.

 

Chanyeol doesn't want to yet and he's about to tell Baekhyun just that when he looks down and… and then there it is again, his gaze locking onto the skin below his best friend's ear. He feels a rush and his head is spinning once more despite him standing completely still.

 

Without knowing how it happened, Chanyeol's large hand is cupping Baekhyun's cheek and he has his head tilted up towards him. And then he's staring dazedly at Baekhyun's mouth because it's so close and it looks so soft, and it's okay if he bends his head down and capture it with his, right? It's okay because it's there and Baekhyun's not really stopping and it's okay. It's okay to go closer and it's okay that their noses are touching and it's okay to slide his lips across those thin ones and it's—

 

"Ahem."

 

Chanyeol jumps back at the voice, pushing an equally shocked Baekhyun away from him. They both turn their heads to see a handsome guy watching them with a raised brow and a smirk.

 

"Starting the party without me?"

 

Yes, Chanyeol's sure it's one of those times he'd really want to strangle Jongin.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

an: so mostly unbetaed, um, im sorry once again for taking so long to update,, as usual o<-<
- this makes no sense at all and i'll be pretty surprised if you stay subscribed after this chapter  idk this chap's pretty long and winded otl o<-<
- you dont understand baek? i dont understand him either lol o<-<
- more explanations on the next parts o<-<
- yes i was laughing when i describe just how rich they seem to be all are. o<-<
- ill just be.. o<-<
- comment? upvote? (yeah o<-<)
- next update.. im still not sure.. im struggling rn.. ill try to update bent but idek if anyone's still reading that lol
- THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THE COMMENTS AND UPVOTES i cant reply to all but read them, loved them and cried over them o<-<
- lol im really sorry, if you want to holler at me or want to tell me how poopy i am im always on twitter. bye~