Ch. V

A Hunter's diary

“Never trust anyone”

The voice echoed through Hyuk’s dream but it sounded familiar, it was a distorted version of what he told the man he captured. The story behind it was that Hyuk infiltrated and gained his trust in order unmask a swindlers gang.

He looked to the clock on his nightstand, it was past 11 AM. He had been sleeping all day after been investigation the whole night.

He stretched out and got out the room towards the kitchen; the whole apartment was in silence; too silent to be normal. Hyuk stopped in his tracks and started to walk slowly, tiptoeing to reach a knife in the kitchen. His hand reached out the switch to turn the light on, and as soon as his eyes did he scanned every corner of the perimeter; then he ran to Anne’s room.

- Anne, wake up! – he slammed the door open. She wasn’t there. – Anne? – he ran to the bathroom but no one was there.

He kept calling her several times but no one answered, he even ran outside the apartment but he found Hongbin going out of his place.

- Have you seen, Anne? – Hyuk asked exasperated.

- yeah, she left around an hour ago. She told me she was going to meet her family.

- Family? – Hyuk mumbled. Then he looked back at his neighbor – what way did she take?

- She turned right In that corner – Hongbin pointed out to the street.

- Thanks – Hyuk shouted as he ran down the staircase.

- Hey! I’ll go with you – Hongbin tried to follow him.

- No, you stay!!! – Hyuk shouted desperate making Hongbin back off.

When Hyuk reached the streets he saw Hongbin’s father rushing towards their home, his eyes kept following the car until he had to turn on the corner. He watched Hongbin’s scared expression as he looked at his dad screaming something at him that Hyuk didn’t hear. For a moment the blonde young man wanted to split in two and help his friend. But choices have to be taken at a crucial time.

He wondered the streets looking at every girl that passed by him, stopping at every hallway and lastly he went back to where he found Anne but it was useless. He supported his weight on his knees to catch his breath. Wisps of white steam escaped his mouth as he exhaled.

His phone rang and he reincorporated again trying to ignore the fatigue of being running for hours.

- What’s up, Khan?

- We have a problem – the guard stated – there was a riot in the main prison, apparently some prisoners escaped and the guy you interrogated was killed.

- what?! – Hyuk felt dizzy as blood pressure rushed to his head.

- We found a note in his mouth; apparently he ate it so it wouldn’t be found. It reads: “Hunter, Never trust anyone”.

- Who were the ones that escaped?

- Park Hyun Chul, the swindler.

- God damn it! – Hyuk swore and hit a three next to him. He ended the call and started to walk when his phone rang again. It was from an unknown number, his body totally froze because no one except khan or Anne knew that number, he slide his finger on the screen and placed the phone on his ear, without saying a word.

- Long time no see, Hunter – a voice from a old man resonated on the speaker.

- What the f**k do you want? I’m busy.

- Why? When I’m so happy… freedom tastes so good – he scoffed

- Enjoy while you can, bastard – Hyuk jaws clenched out of rage.

- Same goes for your little Anne…

The boy felt everything crumbling down inside him and his mind went blank for a second, without noticing his breathing increased its pace to an audible level. I t was the first time he ever felt so vulnerable.

- w-what did you just say? – he stuttered.

- I have here, right next to me – the old man laughed sickening Hyuk even more – But I’m feeling grateful today; I have a deal for you: I’ll let her go if you surrender in front of me.

- Deal! Where are you? – Hyuk immediately answered without hesitation.

- You’ll have to find me… - he hung up the call.

 

 

A few hours ago…

Hongbin heard the door of the neighbor apartment opening…

- Good evening – greeted Anne despite looking like she was in a hurry. Hongbin bowed in response.

- Where are you going this late? – he asked out of pure curiosity.

- I’m going to meet my parents. Then, good night… - she parted to the stairs.

She dialed a number on her phone and the call was answered immediately…

- are you sure you are going to let them go…

- Of course, sweetie. All you have to do is being here quickly and be sure you are not followed by that guy – an old man answered.

 

Anne arrived at the old storage building where two men leaded her inside. There, she saw both of her parents in the middle of the building. She ran to hug them after a few months without seeing them, they looked pale and malnourished; she couldn’t help but crying.

- You arrived sooner than I expect – said a deep voice within the shadows breaking the emotional moment – now…

The girl looked at her parents and hugged them once more for a brief moment then explained to them that she had to stay for a little longer, to what the two adults opposed. Specially her dad he tried to defend her but all he got was getting hit on the head from one of Park Hyun Chul servants; the situation was getting out of control, until Anne screamed at her mom to let her stay and to trust her. The woman hesitated as she looked at her daughter full of confidence; then she made a choice and left dragging her unconscious husband along.