y e l l o w (1/2)

sunshine in your smiles

y e l l o w  (1/2)


 

"Baekhyun-hyung, get up. It's eleven. You already missed like...two classes."

It was amazing, even to Sehun who witnessed it every day of his life, how Baekhyun literally flew out of his bed looking like a deranged maniac, screaming in panic as he grabbed his traitorous alarm clock. Sehun shrugged his shoulders before moving away, giving a rampaging Baekhyun some space.

"It rang, by the way. Your traitorous alarm clock did its job properly. You just didn't wake up." He added as an afterthought, and Baekhyun visibly slumped his shoulders in defeat.

"...oh , my group mates are going to skin me alive. What do I doooo, Sehunnieeeeee." Baekhyun then turned to his roommate, and Sehun rolled his eyes.

"Wake up on time. It's kind of like a trend nowadays, you know? Maybe you should try doing it, too. It might be nice." He deadpanned, and Baekhyun scowled before sloppily flipping his slipper at Sehun, and the latter expertly dodging it.

It was the usual routine Baekhyun had. Wake up (late or early), take a quick shower to wash the sleep out of his system, slip into some comfortable hoodies or shirt (depending on the weather and on what he's currently crazy about), then get to class and live his boring life. Well, maybe not so boring since he gets to hang around with his friends during lunch.

But really, the highlight of his day is his free period every three in the afternoon.

Baekhyun doesn't tell anyone (Sehun and Jongin knows, anyway, not that Baekhyun cares) but during these free periods, he goes to the basketball court in their campus, occupies the farthest and darkest seat available, brings out his phone tablet so he can pretend that he's just surfing the web ("oh it's a rated M chapter yES"), but in reality, he's watching (stalking) one of the players on the varsity team. That one player with his out-of-this-world height, his beautiful blonde locks, his gummy smile, his angel-like personality (he once picked up Baekhyun's fallen book) and oh dear god hIS GUNS. Not to mention, his loose jersey that just refuses to hide his body. Was basketball such a sinful thing before I mean Kuroko and Sakuragi never made it look like this sO WHY WU YIFAN WH--

"Hyung, what are you doing here?"

Baekhyun internally screamed as his phone slipped out of his hands, but Sehun managed to catch it before falling to a four-feet sure death. Grabbing his phone back, he glared up at Sehun in disdain before scowling and shrugging his shoulders.

"Nothing."

"...are you reading fanfics again?" Sehun took the seat next to Baekhyun, and he rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, I am. It's quiet here. I can imagine the scenes better and--

"How the hell is it quiet in here? The whole basketball team's shouting at each other and grunting as they do workout stuff." Sehun gestured towards the team in the centre of the court, and Baekhyun bit his lip.

"That's--

"Shhh, peasant, I-- we, Jongin and I-- know you're stalking that Wu dude. No need to hide it."

Baekhyun felt his face flush in embarrassment, and he suddenly clutches at Sehun's arm, preparing himself to shake the life out of his traitorous roommate when somebody suddenly sat down beside Sehun.

"Hey, guys!"

It was Luhan, another player from the basketball team. Sehun smiled at him.

"Oh, hey, Lu." Sehun pulled himself away from Baekhyun's grip, leaning closer to Luhan to plant a quick kiss on his cheek. Baekhyun feels himself blush harder at the display of affection, so he looks away. Sehun looked back at him, and Luhan giggled.

"Hey, Baekhyun!"

"H-hi..." Baekhyun let out a shy smile, and Luhan grinned back. Baekhyun thinks Luhan is such a bright creature. Literally.

"So what were you guys talking about? It looked pretty intense from where I was at the court what with Baekhyun violently shaking his arms around and all."

"I-it was nothi--

"Hyung's got a crush on Wu, I think." Sehun cut in, and Baekhyun suddenly feels his vision go red. He wants to strangle Sehun and feed him to the dogs and--

"Who?" Luhan asked curiously, and Sehun clapped a hand on Baekhyun's mouth before answering.

"Wu."

"Who?"

"...Lu, he's got a crush on Wu."

"Sehun, are you going to answer me ever? I'm asking who!"

"I already told you, it's Wu!"

"Wu?"

"Yes, Wu!"

"Who?!"

Baekhyun just stared at the arguing couple beside him. Shaking his head at their stupidity, he tore his gaze away from them and turned back to who-- Wu. As soon as Baekhyun turned back to him, the MVP player was in mid-air shooting a three-point shot. Baekhyun felt his heart fly along with the ball, and as it entered the hoop flawlessly, his heart resumed beating, but at a much faster pace. Wu suddenly turned to their direction, and he smiled. Oh dear lord i know that's probably for Luhan but jeebus fracking fries he's so beautiful i cANNOT OHMYGOD I LOVE YOU WU YIFAN PLEASE BE MINE--

"Ohmygod hyung what the are you doing?!"

Sehun's voice ripped Baekhyun out of his dreamland, and he turned back to his friends. Sehun and Luhan had the funniest expressions really, their eyes so large and surprised and-- wait, what happened? Baekhyun turned back to the court and suddenly realized that everything was quiet...too quiet. He suddenly felt his hands go clammy with sweat, and as his eyes darted around for any signs at all on why it was so ing quiet, Wu Yifan suddenly spoke up.

"I'm not gay." Was all he said (rather coldly, too) before returning to dribbling his basketball and focusing on the hoop.

Baekhyun couldn't feel anything. He couldn't hear the stifled laughter from the other team players. He couldn't hear Sehun and Luhan's concerned words for him. All he could hear was his own stupidity and how he let his guard down, unconsciously screaming out his inner thoughts.

Despite what Sehun and Jongin may think, his crush on Wu wasn't that shallow. He's been harbouring a crush on the basketball player for years now, ever since they started college. That one time that Wu picked up his fallen book and gave him a slight smile, and all those other times that Baekhyun heard about Wu's perfection, Baekhyun felt himself falling just like those manga heroines he read about. He fell just like how his OTPs did in his favourite fanfictions.

But unlike his OTPs and those manga heroines, his confession didn't end well (nor did it start well).

Ignoring Sehun and Luhan, he kept a straight face as he made for the exit. Stepping down the stairs, he almost slipped and felt his eyes sting as he heard the basketball team chuckling at his expense. He bit his lip to stop them from trembling, and he ran out. Far from the court, far from his crush, far from his failed confession.

The next thing he knew, he found himself in an empty classroom in some department. He crouched in a corner, and everything's just so cliché, he hates it. He wrapped his arms around his knees, finally letting out the tears.

Rejection made him feel stupid.

And it hurts, really. Infinitely more so than the fanfictions and manga ever depicted. It's just really so cliché that he feels so stupid, and it feels like someone's crushing his heart with a strong, deathly grip, and it's hard to breathe. Baekhyun sobs out freely, burying his face in his arms when he suddenly heard the door open.

He looked up, and the light from outside the room makes it hard for him to see the person's face walking towards him. All he knew was that it was a boy. A tall one. Baekhyun doesn't even bother to stop crying. The boy finally reached him, and he slowly knelt down in front of Baekhyun. He finally sees his face.

Such giant ears.

Baekhyun's about to tell him to go off but the boy suddenly shushes him, and he moves his hand in such a quick manner Baekhyun wasn't able to process much. All he knows is that in the next moment, he's got a pretty yellow tulip tucked behind his ear, and he blinks in confusion at the boy's retreating figure.

He briefly remembered that one rushed report he did on flowers for his literature class, and one line shone bright in his mind like a LED board in a concert. He could feel his ears go red in embarrassment or something, because in the language of flowers, a yellow tulip meant "there is sunshine in  your smiles", and he's not exactly sure how to respond to that or what the boy even meant.

 


Twitter! | Ask.fm!

A/N: Part 2 (and last!) will be longer than this. Infinitely more so. :p

....................i swear the next part will be so much nicer and stupider (in a good way?) than this. promise.

upvotes are appreciated! comments, too! and maybe subs, too lol ♥