008

Tales of the Prince and the Scholar

a/n: Who is damn excited for SHINee’s Lucky Star???? Well me of course^^
so another arc, another mystery lol am I torturing you guys? I hope not.

----

Chapter 4
I came across a man one day
Wrinkled skin and back bent with age
I asked why he still tend the fields
He turned and smiled at me and said
I feel sick if I just sit on the ground
The earth that feeds me, need my hands.

The trip to Seulgi-do was nothing too fancy, no adventures whatsoever until they reached the bus stop and Onew laid eyes on the vast fields with lush green plants. The rice paddies were full of life and the prince could smell the musty earth coupled with the sweetness of the fruit bearing trees, persimmons seemed to be in season.

“This way Onew-hyung.” Jonghyun called out and at the sound of his name being uttered in such a way made Onew double take, oh why was he reacting that way?

The three walked towards one of the vast fields and Jonghyun led them to a small house that was owned by an lone couple. The wife was warm and welcoming, she greeted Jonghyun like her own son and in turn, Jonghyun had given her a sack of something Onew hadn’t even noticed earlier.

“Jungsoo’s out in the field.” She uttered as she led them inside the house. “He’ll be back for lunch so why don’t you freshen up.” She said, her smile revealed some dimples which made her more beautiful in Onew’s opinion.

“Thank you.” Onew and Minho bowed and the lady went to prepare their lunch.

Onew looked at the humble house and he found peace and tranquility, it was a home to be honest. He then looked at the open field and was surprised to see Jonghyun running towards a man who had a pretty smile. He set out his bag on the room he was given and headed out into the field, he had never been in a wide land like this, and it felt primitive to be honest.

He leisurely stepped out of the house and walked the fields, carrying a water bottle and a straw hat to blend in. The prince was smiling, enjoying the fresh air and the view when a man caught his eye. He turned to look at the old man, down on his knees and picking out weeds on the rice paddy.

Curiosity took over the prince so he bent down beside the old man and smiled at him. “Can I help you?” The man asked and Onew bowed at him.

‘hello I am Onew and I am staying with the Park’s. isn’t your back hurting?” He asked and the man chuckled at him.

“I am as fit as a horse my dear.” The man answered and Onew was surely confused as he assumed the age of the man to be a little bit passed 70.

“Where are your kids?” He asked and the man laughed at him.

“Out in Seoul, they do not like manual labor.” The man laughed as he took out a few weeds. Onew looked at the man with pity. “Don’t give me that look son, I am quite all right. To be honest, I get sick if I am not working.” HE uttered as he placed the weeds on the heap beside him. “you can call it an exercise.” He said and Onew smiled at him.

‘Can I try?” He asked and the man nodded and handed him the trowel.

“Just dig a bit then pull it out.” The man uttered and demonstrated the way to pull out the weeds. Onew nodded and gave it a try.

On his first try, the muddy water messed his pants, the second one, his foot got stuck on the paddy and on the third, he fell on his as a frog leaped out of nowhere. The man had a hearty laugh and helped Onew up.

“Thank you, it’s not easy as it looks.” Onew remarked.

“That’s why people hate manual labor my son.” The man uttered and Onew gave him a sad smile.

“I guess so.” Onew replied and he heard his name being called by Minho. He bowed to the man and then ran towards the house.

“Who was that?” Minho asked and Onew smiled at him.

‘Just an old farmer.” He said and Minho nodded.

Sora exclaimed in shock as he eyed the muddy prince. She led him to the wash basin and held out a fresh pair of work clothes. “If you are planning to play in the field, you must wear the proper clothes.” She said and Onew gladly thanked her.

The lunch was a light one, with Jungsoo introducing himself and the connection he had with Jonghyun. It seemed like Jungsoo has a really good heart and he had helped Jonghyun on numerous occasions.

“Excuse me but the old man in the field earlier, who is he?” Onew asked and Jungsoo smiled at him.

‘Grandfather Sooman?” He asked and Onew cocked a brow. “He lives nearby. He’s a bit old but still tends the plants. He really likes manual labor to be honest so he would just shrug off our words.” Jungsoo said the chuckled a bit. “He’s just a very good man to be honest.” He said and placed a hand on his wife’s lap.

“He’s a very good friend to all of us here; he’s like our clan elder to be exact.” Sora replied.

“I figured. He laughs a lot though.” Onew stated as he ate.

“His positivity is what keeps us grounded. He has this optimism about the future while savoring the beauty of the present that treasuring the memories of the past.” Jungsoo uttered and the three smiled at his metaphoric words.

“oh noona.” Jonghyun uttered as he noticed Sora closing her eyes and touching her head.

“I’m okay Jonghyun, I’m just a bit dizzy.” Sora replied.

“is it because of the heat?” Onew asked and Sora smiled at him.

“Perhaps.” She uttered as Jungsoo helped her up and made her sit on a cushion by the side of the living room.

“I would call the doctor.” Jonghyun announced but Sora shook her head. ‘I am not taking any chances noona.” Jonghyun said firmly and Sora smiled at him.

“Finish your lunch Jonghyun.” She stated and Jonghyun retreated to his seat and ate lunch in silence.

“What do you mean you are not taking any chances?” Onew asked and Jonghyun just shook his head, confusing the prince and making him think of a few plausible reasons for the younger’s outburst.

----

a/n: I know that it’s a bit short .. I added more characters in there.. whether or not they have a connection to Onew or his quest, I will reveal as we progress.

Also, my sister is a bit of demanding requesting for members of Boyfriend to appear in here, I will not promise but let me see what I can do *cough*Hyunseong*cough*

I will post the other half in a few days ^^