006

Tales of the Prince and the Scholar

a/n: New arc ~ I guess I left a few more questions just as I answered one. Well this is something I am trying to work out. What would you call it? Mystery? Well I want you to really engage with the story as this will not just be just some love story. Even if it is a clichéd storyline, I want to give it a few twists and turns to make it more interesting. So I hope you will all bear with me on this story.

And thank you for the support through subscriptions and comments~ I dearly appreciate it my dearies~

----

Chapter 3:
I continued on my journey,
Walked north to where my feet was leading me.
I am uncertain if this place was my destiny
But I am certain that a reason was leading me to it

-----

The dinner was filled with loud chatter that Woohyun enjoyed so much. He was a trusted person of the kingdom and that meant he was always sent in missions for the royal family much like a secret service agent so to speak.

In his years of service, he had known a few men, befriended the rarest few and trusted a few handpick ones. Jonghyun was one of them and their story started when Woohyun was critically wounded after a run in with the troops of the Ministry of Cultural Traditions and Ancestral Domains.

Jonghyun aided him and in turn, Woohyun had promised him one thing, which is to protect someone for him. It wasn’t a grand request but more of a test of trust and loyalty. Woohyun had both and that what made him an ally of the Royal Family through his best friend Key.

“Why don’t we discuss the details of this mission of yours my prince.” Woohyun asked as he led them down the trap door that lead to a secret room below the humble cottage.

Onew’s eyes were wide and at awe while Taemin was equally amazed at the sight before him. “this is awesome Woohyun hyung!” Taemin exclaimed and Woohyun chuckled and thank him.

The room they were on was a foolproof, soundproof, tamper proof, and explosion proof room designed to contain and protect its occupants when needed.

“You have one at the palace as well.” Woohyun informed the princes, with Minho and Key nodding. “Well, tell me your plan your highness.” Woohyun urged and Onew told him of the poem Sohee had given them, how he deciphered the place and their intention to go on a quest to find the last known lineage of the great Kim Jaejin.

“Most of Jaejin-ssi’s works were kept hidden by the Ministry of Education, and we have every reason to believe that they have vested interest to use their position as leverage to take over the government.” Onew stated and the room went silent.

“Finding a lineage would do what good to you?” Jonghyun asked and Onew grinned at him.

“Those were just the first copies of the manuscript, the original has been kept as family heirlooms. I am sure wherever Kim Youngwoon’s son is, they have kept those manuscript somewhere closer.” Onew informed them and Woohyun nodded in approval.

“I see. So we must go and find Sohee’s son and we can find these manuscripts.” Woohyun asked and Onew nodded.

“Why are these manuscripts so important? And there are published versions out in the market.” Jonghyun asked and Onew sighed.

“It’s edited and they took out parts of the novels that criticized the government. And…” Onew paused and took out the book from his bag. “This” Onew pointed to the last page where a faint scribble in ink was seen.

Pauper prince, come, find me and learn the truth
What is hidden can only be find through a quest
Knowledge is power
And you are the key to unlock it.

They read the verse and thought to themselves, let out hushed whispers from time to time.

“Father told me that it was handed it to him by an anonymous man when he was 15, like it was a warning to what will happen. He wasn’t able to go on the quest when he was a prince but now he was certain that I must find him.” Onew said firmly and Jonghyun scoffed at him.

“Pathetic.” Jonghyun uttered and everyone glared at him.

“I do not question your want to protect someone so I fathom you shouldn’t question mine.” Onew replied and Jonghyun smirked at him.

“It’s not a warning your majesty, but a revelation to what is really happening. Jeajin’s works were meant to empower the people by means of information and that was what made him a threat to the government.” Jonghyun replied.

“He was seeking protection?” Onew asked, staring back at Jonghyun’s brown eyes.

“I believe he’s not asking one, but he’s asking the prince to be the start of the revolution.” Jonghyun replied, gaze not leaving the prince.

‘How do you know so much Jonghyun hyung?” Taemin asked and Jonghyun grinned at him.

“Unlike your brother here, I happen to read, a lot.” Jonghyun stated, looking at the younger prince.

Taemin was beyond scared as he gazed into those dark brown eyes. Key stepped in and held Taemin protectively as Minho was on offensive stance.

“I am an activist, a rebel and a communist, at least that’s what the government labels us who defy and despise them.” Jonghyun revealed and Onew smiled at him.

“Then that makes this tandem even better.” Onew uttered, a smile on his face. “You hate the government? Well I hate them too.” Onew said plainly. “Filthy selfish officials who wanted nothing but gold and power.” Onew said, face turning dark as he turned to Jonghyun.

“Ministry of Education headed by Cho Kyuhyun, rejected me to enter SungKyungKwan and said that home school is better for my security so they sent in mediocre teachers.

Ministry of Cultural Traditions and Ancestral Domains headed by Kim Heechul, refused to let me visit the ethnic groups of Panmunjung and Junmong-do in fear of the tribes to push on revenge, he just doesn’t want me to know the status of the ethnic groups’ fight for their ancestral lands.

And lastly, the Ministry of Budget and Finance headed by Shim Changmin, the traitor is the most corrupted official on this land.” Onew revealed and Taemin’s mouth gaped at the information.

‘Now you want to take down the government? I am with you Jonghyun, we are on the same page. I know that the weeds have grown and they needed to be cut off. I am on a mission to find the last of Kim Jaejin’s lineage and find those manuscripts.” Onew said firmly and Jonghyun grinned at him.

“You’re not as foolish as I though you are your majesty” Jonghyun teased, locking eyes with the prince. “So tell me, what good will those manuscripts do again?” Jonghyun asked and Onew stared at him and answered him sternly.

“Because Lee Jaejin had written the names of those officials.” Onew answered, controlling the surge of emotions that were building up on him.

‘How sure are you?” Jonghyun asked and Onew grinned at him and took Jonghyun’s hand to his, placing his other hand on top.

“Because, this was the original manuscript and it already revealed the mastermind of the Jeunggum-do massacre.” Onew replied and everyone let out a gasp.

“Now if I find the others, I am sure we will uncover the truth that the Kim’s have been protecting and have been waiting to share for several generations.” Onew uttered and Jonghyun grinned at him and place his free hand on top of Onew’s hand.

“Count me in my prince. ” Jonghyun uttered and Onew sighed in relief and flashed him a bright smile.

“Thank you.” He uttered and embraced Jonghyun, taking the shorter one by surprise.

“Now that it’s settled, we’ll need artillery.” Woohyun grinned and pulled a secret door.

-----

a/n: well I don’t know if you guys are still following the story~ hahah but we are going on an adventure so I need to brief everyone first on what to expect, at least for now we had an idea what the prince is about to do ~ lols