005

Tales of the Prince and the Scholar

a/n: Wow so I finally got some comments.. okay I’ll clear who the stranger is for the sake of everyone’s sanity.

---

Onew swallowed hard and paled at the words of the stranger. Was he that obvious? Was he bound to fail at this? He usually go undercover for his father without anyone busting his cover so why does this stranger read him like an open book.

“I..” Onew spoke but failed to get the words out.

“Talk to me when you can actually speak your mind.”The stranger uttered and returned his gaze towards the changing horizon.

Three awkward hours and one confused prince later they arrived at Manjang-go. Onew watched the stranger’s back disappear into the road and Onew had suddenly found the courage to actually talk to him and come clean.

“Can I trust you?”Onew asked as he caught up with the young lad.

“Same question.” He replied and Onew sighed as he tugged the younger off the road and to the side, just behind the large wall of a canteen.

“You got me, okay I lied about my identity but I did it for the sake of this country.”Onew started and the stranger smirked at him. “What? You don’t believe me?”He asked and the stranger started walking back to the road.

“Hey please listen to me!”Onew pulled him back and was huffing at the strenuous work he has to put on to get this man to cooperate, and that’s a lot of work for a royal.

“I’m.”Onew started but the stranger beat him to eat.

“The crowned prince.” The stranger said matter of factly and that made Onew’s eyes wide like a deer caught in the headlights.

‘How did you know?” Onew asked and the stranger laughed at him, mocking him for his stupidity.

“Fair skin, tactless choice of clothes, and the bag, it all screams royalty. I suggest to change into the imitations if you want to blend in.”The stranger answered and turned his back on the prince.

“Amazing deducting skills!”Onew exclaimed as he caught up with the stranger. “Where did you get it?” He asked and the stranger sighed.

Ï can’t believe the palace has been raising such dumb princes.” The stranger exclaimed and Onew was taken aback by his words.

‘hey, that’s insulting!”He shouted and the stranger sighed.

‘What question is that huh? Where’d I get it? Of course I read, why would I learn about the latest news aside from the newspaper? That bag was plastered on the News a few weeks ago as the gift of the Chinese emperor to the two princes of the Kingdom.”The stranger said and Onew was stunned beyond words. “I can’t believe you didn’t have enough common sense to actually figure that out.” The stranger said and Onew was beyond embarrassed.

“But you don’t look like you read much.”Onew stated soft but still audible.

“Get the point your highness?”The stranger asked and Onew’s eyes widened for the nth time since he met the stranger.

“That’s why I need you! Please help me and I will grant anything!” Onew pleaded and the stranger sighed and raised a brow at him.

“Änything?” The stranger asked and Onew nodded.

“Anything! Land, property, even a wife if that’s what you desire just help me will you?”Onew bargained and the stranger sighed.

“First, the name’s Jonghyun and second, I don’t want any kind of riches nor a wife. I will just request the safety of someone.”He replied and Onew perked up as he heard the stranger agree. “You’ll get to meet him soon.” Jonghyun finished then went his way.

“Are you going to spend the night here?” Jonghyun asked as Onew stayed rooted on the ground.

“Oh… no, but we don’t have a place to stay.” Onew said and Jonghyun sighed before inviting them over.

“I know some people here, come.” He uttered and Onew happily called out Minho and the two joined Jonghyun for a walk towards the village where this friend of his can be found.

“Jonghyun!” Onew called out and smiled as he introduced his bodyguard. ‘This is Minho!”He said and Jonghyun nodded.

“Sorry about earlier, I didn’t hit you that strong you know.” Jonghyun uttered as he extended a hand.

‘Still a great move buddy.” He said shaking it.

“You’re trusting me that easily?” Jonghyun asked and Minho smiled at him.

“Onew hyung isn’t the best neither at fighting, nor in acting but he is the best at sensing people.”Minho said and Jonghyun nodded.

“well then let’s get going.” He said and led the way to a clearing by the forest that led to a spacious stone cottage atop the hill.

“Great view!” Minho uttered as he watched the moon hang low and the fireflies perched on the tree a few feet from the house.

“Scenic right? My friend is a romanticist.”Jonghyun uttered as he knocked on the door.

“Jonghyun hyung!” the lad chirped and then turned to the company of his friend. Öh my gosh your highness!” the lad bowed and Onew was twice as surprised.

“Woohyun” he exclaimed and the guy cheekily grinned at him.

“Welcome to my humble abode.” Woohyun invited them inside and Onew’s blood froze at the sight in front of him.

“hi hyung!” a younger boy greeted him.

“Taemin?” Both Minho and Onew shouted at the same time.

“And what about me then?” They turned around and saw Key placing dishes on the Kitchen table.

“Key?” they asked in unison and the lad smiled and bowed at them.

“In full splendor.” He uttered and asked everyone to join them for dinner.

“Hey what is going on?” Onew asked as he sat on the chair after washing his hands.

‘Queen’s orders.” Key replied as he placed food on Taemin’s plate.

“Mother?” Onew asked and rubbed his temples.

“We will not interfere with your mission but we will be here to aide you. I gathered that you will need to travel North.” Key uttered and Onew and Minho nodded. “Her Majesty had figured how you foolishly brought your bag which screamed royalty so she instructed yours truly to help you out my dear clumsy Prince.” Key added and Onew sulked.

“Minho hyung! I want to join you!” Taemin pouted but Minho shook his head.

“I’ll bring souvenir your highness.” He replied and that made the younger pout even more.

“You call me Minnie remember?” Taemin replied and Minho was sure he was blushing.

“Okay, so that means Jonghyun here…”Onew eyed the boy and Key smiled at him.

“Your help, guide and most importantly an ally.” Key stated as Woohyun took out some juice from his fridge.

“He’s from Yeoldo-go and has been a very skilled all-rounder; he could help you guys out.” Woohyun said as he gave Jonghyun a smile.

“So the person you want us to protect is?” Onew asked and Jonghyun smirked at him. “You’ll find out when we get there.”Jonghyun replied and Woohyun grinned as he noticed the group is now settling for dessert.

-----

a/n: So you guessed it right~ it was Jonghyun! this is very predictable don't you think? anyway, I didn’t really expect this twist (I mean Key and Woohyun to appear in this chapter but hey, it think it fits better). So I am not sure If I’ll move on with another chapter or continue the stranger arc.. any thoughts?