004

Tales of the Prince and the Scholar

a/n: well let’s see if Jonghyun pops in here lol *evil*

 

--- 

 

Chapter 2:

Sometimes in our journey,

a face unfamiliar we will see

would you trust him sincerely?

When he is a stranger to you, as you are to him.

 

 

---- 

 

They wandered the busy market of Hwaseong to prepare for their journey to Yeoldo-go. They brought some clothes and food for the journey, just enough till they reached the next town. They went to get some medicines and some ointments, perhaps mosquitoes were common there.

 

While looking for a few new shirts and some comfortable shoes, he had bumped into a man carrying what looked like incense sticks. “I’m very sorry sir!” Onew uttered as he helped the man pick up the sticks that were scattered around them. Onew looked up the stranger’s face and was taken aback by the handsome features. The stranger was looking tired and restless but that didn’t hide the fact that the man was really attractive.

 

“here you go, I am really sorry.” Onew apologized again and the stranger just gave him a nod and a bundle of incense sticks.

 

“For your safe journey young sir.” He uttered and went on his way.

 

Onew looked at the retreating back and sighed heavily, something was off with him, like he was some sort of mystery he needed to crack.

 

“onew hyung, we’re good to go!” Minho called out and Onew looked at the bundle of incense in his palm and closed it gently.

 

“Let’s drop by the temple first.” Onew said and Minho nodded.

 

They made their way to the temple and Onew lighted the bundle. He gave half to minho and kept the half to himself. He then closed his eyes and raised the sticks, smoke traveling upwards like a dragon flying in the air. He said his prayer in silence the waved the sticks before inserting them on the earthen clay pot painted with gold and embellished with jade.

 

He then bowed at the monks before walking back to the main city, to catch a bus to Manjang-go where they will take another bus to Seulgi-do then Mokpo before travelling further north to Hansem-ki and finally a train to Yeoldo-go.

 

They took a seat near the back, comfortably settling in for the long ride ahead of them. Onew took a deep breath and looked at his surroundings, observing just in case evil followed them.

 

He was scanning the bus when his eyes fell on a certain young man, a familiar face who was still breathtaking despite the dirt and grime that work had caused him. Onew kept the information to himself but had his eyes on the stranger, he was not feeling good about it.

 

2 hours after their trip had started, the bus had a pit stop to refill their gas and to allow the passengers eat and empty their bladders for another 3 hours of journey. Onew pulled Minho closer and whispered something on his ear.

 

“You sure hyung?” Minho asked and Onew nodded.

 

They then decided to stealthily follow the stranger to learn more about him. They had seen him enter a pharmacy and bought some medicines then went inside a canteen to eat. Nothing was suspicious about the stranger until he led them at the back of a building, took hold of Onew and slammed him on the concrete wall as he threatened him with a dagger on his throat.

 

“Who do you work for?” He asked, eyes filled with anger and voice deep and husky.

 

“I .. don’t k-k-now w-w-what..” Onew stuttered, quite scared with danger so close to him.

 

“Don’t play with me.” The stranger spoke, chilly words that froze Onew’s body.

 

Minho dashed forwards to save the prince but the stranger had caught sight of him on his peripheral view that he had moved Onew swiftly as he turned to give Minho a kick on the stomach.

 

“I repeat, who do you work for?” He shouted as he tightened the grip on the dagger that was conveniently place on Onew’s neck.

 

“Let’s not get rash about things, we will tell you the truth.” Minho tried to negotiate.

 

“Stop beating the bush or else he’ll die.” The stranger uttered and Onew finally recovered his motor nerves to speak.

 

‘I work for the king.” Onew uttered, pulling the Prince’s emblem from his pocket and showing it to the stranger.

 

“filthy people.” He replied, throwing Onew to the ground and walking away.

 

“We could charge you of assault!” Minho shouted and the stranger laughed hollowly at him.

 

“and I could charge you for stalking. Keep your distance.” He barked and then continued his way back towards the bus.

 

“Mental that one.” Minho remarked but Onew stood up and dusted his pants before running towards the stranger.

 

‘hey!” Onew called out but the stranger just walked faster and boarded the bus. Onew followed him and took the seat next to him, as it was empty earlier and no one was expected to sat on it now. “hey, can I talk to you?” Onew asked but the stranger just turned his head towards the window as the bus accelerated and started back on the road.

 

But Onew was persistent and he has to talk to this man, he had a feeling about him, a strong hunch about him.

 

“I think you can help me in my journey.” Onew asked and handed him the book he was carrying. The stranger took a look at the book then turned his eyes back on the window, where the sun was about to set.

 

“I really need your help. Please.” Onew pleaded and the stranger sighed and spared him a glance.

 

“Why are you persistent?” He asked and Onew beamed a happy smile.

 

‘because you handed me the incense earlier and I prayed to meet someone who would help me find my mission. And I have every reasons to believe that it is you.” Onew said and the stranger sighed and shook his head.

 

“I have every reason to refuse.” He uttered and Onew frowned at that.

 

“can I ask why?” Onew asked after a minute of silence.

 

“I loathed the government, so why would I help a person who works for them?” He replied and it was Onew’s turn to sigh.

 

“I get it, everyone hates the government for the corruption, vested interest and the ill ideas it has. But not all officials are evil, there are still people who has good intentions.” Onew remarked and the stranger smirked at him.

 

Onew would lie if he said that he was not captivated by the lop-sided smirk and the glint of evil in the stranger’s eyes. He swallowed a difficult lump on his throat as he heard the stranger’s reply.

 

‘Why would I believe a person whose identity is false?”

 

----  

 

a/n: will cut it here~ *sings SHINee’s Evil*