Faithful Encounter

Love Before Faction

 

Soojung tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ears as she fixed her—fake—spectacles. She didn’t even know why it was necessary to wear the spectacles in the first place. Maybe it was so that her aura would definitely scream ‘intelligent!’ but so far, it hadn’t done her any good. She’s supposed to be influential, given that her parents were a higher official of the faction. But instead, she became the opposite. 

Not exactly an introvert, really, but she oftentimes does what the other Erudite do. After all, to make such a good impression is to act just like her faction—to wear blue, always bring at least one book, and keep the appearance neat. 

She wasn’t exactly doing a great job at it, however. 

With a low grunt, she manages to make it to the rooftop, a book tucked in her arms. It was lunch time, and instead of sticking with the other Erudite she chose to sprint upstairs and into her haven. A corner of her lips tugged upwards.

Whenever she needed to take a breather, she’d always climb the highest level of the school. The fresh air always cleared her mind. For at least a few moments, she’s not a part of any faction—especially her born faction. For at least a few moments, she’s free.

“Stiff!”

A few boys bursting into a fit of laughter, however, broke her chain of thoughts. Her brows furrowed. She’s not alone? Obviously. But who…

Slowly, she made her way to where the voices were—only to find a group of five boys, all in Erudite blue.

And there was this one boy in the middle, dressed in Abnegation gray.

“Hey!” she shouted, and the five boys turned to look at her.

It was only by then when she realized who they actually were. The boy in Abnegation gray—Luhan. She knew him perfectly. It wasn’t because they were friends, no—but it was because Soojung always had her eyes set on him.

He’s different, she’d tell herself.

“What are you doing, Taehyung?!” she approached one of the boys in Erudite blue and shoves him aside, crouching down to help the boy in gray. He didn’t seem to have any bruises anywhere. Maybe these other boys only pushed him. It didn’t seem likely that they did any harm to him more than that. Well, at least not physically.

“What are you doing, you mean,” Taehyung sneered venomously, humor no longer evident in his face unlike earlier.

“I don’t think I’m doing anything wrong!” she spat, “Taehyung, I know there’s conflict between Erudite and Abnegation, but that doesn’t mean you have to be hostile around the other faction. That’s illogical, don’t you think? You’re being stupid.”

Having no more to say, Taehyung gave her one last glare before storming downstairs.

A sigh escaped Soojung’s lips. Taehyung and his four other friends had always been a bully. It was a disgrace for her faction, really, that such young men could be so stupid to look down at other people. So what if they’re smart? Does that mean they could already belittle the others? For all Taehyung knew, Luhan and the other Abnegation could actually be smarter than him. To think he wasn’t even any better with dealing with numbers. He’ll never make it pass the Erudite initiation—if he actually plans to stay in Erudite—with such an attitude.

With the way they act like they knew whatever was going on with Erudite and Abnegation also irked Soojung. There might be a tension between two factions, but that doesn’t mean it could be the youth’s concern as well. They should only be worrying about their studies as of the moment, and nothing else. Not the adult’s problems. Instead, they should even focus on making themselves a better person instead of ruining it just because of some kind of conflict they don’t know much about.

Suddenly remembering the presence of the Abnegation boy behind her, she spun around and was about to help him up, only to realize he was already standing a few inches in front of her.

“Oh, hey. Hi,” she meekly greeted, taking a few steps back and raising her hand as a greeting.

“Hi there,” he greeted back, smiling.

For some reasons, Soojung wanted to snap at him. How could he still smile like that even after being bullied by a bunch of Erudite? She wanted to yell, why don’t you defend yourself?! He’s a guy, after all. But then again, she was glad she fought back the urge. Luhan is Abnegation. Violence is not their thing. They’d rather be hit than hit someone.

She casted her gaze downwards. “I… I’m sorry.”

“Why are you saying sorry even if you didn’t do anything?” He followed her gaze, his smile not faltering a bit.

“Because of what Taehyung and his friends had done,” she replied, “geez, how it is such a shame that I am in the same faction as those brainless dimwits. They’re nothing but a disgrace to Erudite’s intelligence. What they do is something an ignorant man would do—”

Luhan, however, stepped closer and cut her off with his laughter. “I don’t really think it should be you who’s apologizing in their behalf. You did nothing wrong, Soojung.”

He said her name. Weirdly, she felt giddy about it. It sounded so strange as it rolled off his tongue—like she’d never heard anyone say it that way before. Or maybe she’s just being delusional.

She looked up again, and this time, she caught his gaze.

Soojung and Luhan had always been aware of each other’s existence, but none of them had ever made the first real step to get to know each other. Luhan knows she’s an Erudite, and he’s just an Abnegation. He’s not as wise as her, nor was she as low as him. She’s from a ranked family, her mother being the current leader of their faction. Everyone knew how Erudite chooses their leader. The one with the highest IQ becomes the leader of the faction. And knowing that, Soojung must be really smart herself.

But Soojung could care less about statuses. They live being separated by factions, in which are according to their beliefs and principles. Not by castes. She could marry a stupid man for all she cared, as long as love actually exists.

Yeah. Love.

Honestly, in her seventeen years of living, she barely knew the meaning of love. It wasn’t something that could be taught through books and researches—although there are certain novels that narrate love stories. But they are pure fiction. What fun could that be?

Her parents… oh, her parents. She never knew her father. Her mother is the leader of Erudite—the smartest woman of all, they say. But her father? She never knew a thing about him at all. Perhaps it’s because he’d never been there with her. Everytime she’ll ask her mother about it, he’ll only shake her head and tell her that she’s busy. Since then, she had known that the topic about her father is something she could never open and discuss with her mother.

It wasn’t long before she had decided that she doesn’t want to be just like her mother. Therese Jung, a genius. An independent woman.

A machine void of humane emotions.

Soojung didn’t want to be just like her. She wanted her own freedom. Ever since the society had looked at her with eyes full of expectations, she no longer desired to be a part of her faction.

The Choosing Ceremony is her only hope.

“I just… feel bad, that’s all,” she shrugged, walking over the edge of the rooftop, looking at the other buildings.

And they both allowed silence to take over after that. Soojung didn’t seem to mind it; however, Luhan was suddenly in a deep thought. She had her back against him as he stared at her.

Jung Soojung.

The only brave girl he knew among the Erudite who would stand up for someone who’s being bullied by the other members of her faction. An Erudite girl who’s actually a year behind him, yet someone who seems to be more mature than he is. And most of all, the girl he had always had his eyes set on.

Jung Soojung.

Looking at her, she looked so vulnerable; so fragile. Like one wrong move and you’ll break her. But something in the look in her face screams bravery. Maybe she could be as selfless as an Abnegation, as wise as an Erudite, and as undaunted as the Dauntless. He wouldn’t know. But even by staring at her, allowing his eyes to marvel around the beauty of her perfectly chiseled features, he could already make out distinct characteristics.

Maybe his admiration is just another foolish admiration. Lu Han, an Abnegation softie who knows nothing about defending his own, wishes to be someone who could protect her? Ridiculous! She’s just a star too impossible for him to reach.

But in the end, he still tries to reach her anyway.

“Say,” he began, breaking the long silence as he remained rooted in his spot. He didn’t want to stand by the edge with her. He feared heights as it is. The only reason he found himself here in the rooftop was because Taehyung and his gang hauled him all the way up her. “Will you be there when I make a decision?”

Soojung looked at him in confusion. A decision? What was he talking about?

That was when it hit her.

He was talking about the choosing ceremony.

Tomorrow is the Aptitude test, she remembered. Luhan will be one of the students who’ll take the test tomorrow, because he’s already of the right age. Soojung, however, will have hers the following year.

“I don’t know,” she frowned. Honestly, she don’t. There might be a possibility that she will be, with her mother being a leader of the Erudite faction, but surely there will be a lot of eighteen-year-old initiate-to-be there, and it might be impossible for her to be able to squeeze herself in the crowd. Plus, as far as she knows, the others are not allowed to go there unless they have a relative who’ll choose his or her fate. As for her, she’s an only child.

At least, that’s what she knows.

Disappointment was evident in Luhan’s face upon hearing her reply. She was able to read it perfectly like it had been written across his forehead. Feeling guilty, she bit her lower lip, trying to come up with something that could possibly make him feel better.

She didn’t want to make a promise. But for some reasons, she felt like it’s the right thing to do.

“But I will. I’ll try.” She grinned. “I promise.”

Luhan swore his cheeks almost hurt with too much grinning. “I’ll be looking forward to seeing you there, then.”

She opened to say something else, but was cut off short as soon as the bell rang signaling for the end of the lunch break. Her shoulders deflated in disappointment. I almost forgot we’re actually in school.

Soojung fiddled with the hem of her blue blazer. “So, I guess… I should go. I still have classes. You should, too.”

She was just a few steps into the door, when she thought of something.

She likes him. And there’s a possibility that the day after tomorrow, she’ll no longer see him. 

Might as well make the best out of their first—and probably last—proper meeting. Running back to where the other stood, she places her hands on his shoulders and tiptoes to reach his height, placing a soft peck into his cheek. It was a bold act, she knew—Abnegation were against public display of affection. Surely they’re uncomfortable with pecks from strangers, too. Biting her lower lip, she immediately spun around once again and ran back to the door.

“See you.” 

 

Soon.