THE ACKNOWLEDGEMENT

The Pretender

6: THE ACKNOWLEDGEMENT


The wind whipped violently against Donghae’s­ face as he and Eunhyuk hurriedly made their way toward the hair salon.

He didn't know what Eunhyuk planned to do there, but Donghae had a gut feeling he was not going to enjoy any of it. He’d never been one to enjoy getting his hair cut, mainly because hairdressers had a tendency to get scissor-happy with his hair since he kept it pretty long.

“How much farther?” Donghae shouted to the boy beside him, wondering if he even remembered that he’d been walking alongside him for the past ten minutes.

He then stole a glance at Eunhyuk and smiled to himself. Eunhyuk’s cheeks were flushed red and his lips were slightly purple from the cold. He was holding tightly onto the sides of the hood from his jacket since he didn't have a scarf.

Donghae found the whole image utterly adorable.

“Just around the next corner,” Eunhyuk flatly replied as he powered on ahead of Donghae to show him the way. Donghae watched as his classmate held the side of his hood closer to his face.

Eventually, Donghae found himself following Eunhyuk into a bustling hair salon with women sitting under raucous hair dryers, the sloshing of water in the sink as others got their hair washed and hairdressers snipping away at the ends of hair.

“Why exactly are we here?” Donghae asked as he followed Eunhyuk toward a row of seats toward the back of the salon.

Donghae was already pulling his scarf off due to the heat inside the salon.

“My older sister, Sora, works here; I’m getting a trim.”

Donghae nodded his head in understanding and began to remove his coat to get more comfortable. Eunhyuk did the same and joined him in one of the seats beside him as they waited for Sora.

Even though Eunhyuk had told him why they were there, he still felt uneasy about the whole thing.

Donghae sighed randomly as he and Eunhyuk sat in silence. The other boy didn't even acknowledge him; he was too busy playing some game on his cell phone. He couldn't make out what game he was playing, but it was clear that Eunhyuk was losing.

Donghae didn't mind that he was being ignored.

On the walk over, Donghae kept wondering why Eunhyuk would bring him to a hair salon. He could only assume that Eunhyuk had planned to cut Donghae’s hair and live out some cliché high school drama fantasy where he gets a makeover.

Actually, the scenario that played in Donghae’s head was much more a horror film. He thought Eunhyuk would make the hairdresser shave his head without him realizing.

The thought scared him—he was sure he wouldn’t look good with a buzz cut.

It wasn’t something he wanted to experience until he needed to do it when he went off to fulfill his mandatory military service.

“Is she even here?” Donghae asked, breaking the silence between the two boys.

“Not at the moment,” Eunhyuk stoically answered. “But she’s already on her way back from getting coffee. I forgot she usually has a small break around this time.”

“Okay.”

It’s all Donghae could say as Eunhyuk went back to fiddling with his phone, clearly indicating that he didn't want to speak to Donghae.

Again, Donghae was not bothered by it.

He knew he was putting Eunhyuk in an unwelcome situation. Though, Donghae reasoned that Eunhyuk brought this all on himself by trying to steal the shirt in the first place.

“Do you always do that?” Eunhyuk asked, breaking Donghae’s concentration.

“Do what?”

“Dart your eyes and move your head like that when you’re thinking.”

“Why were you even staring at me?” Donghae cheekily replied with a smirk on his face.

“Because along with that you also mumble though it’s hard to understand.”

“I do that?” Donghae asked. He was genuinely intrigued by this new piece of information about himself. No one had ever mentioned that before.

“Yeah,” Eunhyuk grumbled. “You look stupid, like some mad scientist doing an experiment. Don’t do that when you’re with me.”

“I didn’t even know I did that. How exactly do you suppose I stop doing it?” Donghae complained in return. It seemed every conversation with Eunhyuk was always going to result in an argument between the two.

“Figure it out!”

The sneer on Eunhyuk’s face managed to irritate Donghae more than what the other boy had actually said.

“Don’t forget why you’re in this situation in the first place. I’m sure Sora would love to learn that her little brother is a thief.”

Eunhyuk huffed in frustration as he stood up to look down at Donghae.

Donghae was sure that Eunhyuk believed that he looked intimating, but he begged to differ. The look of resentment on his face just made him look more attractive to him.

Eunhyuk’s cheeks were flushed because he was angry and because his lips were naturally in a pout, even the scowl he was wearing made his lips look like they were waiting to be kissed.

And that’s all Donghae really wanted to do.

He stood up to face Eunhyuk. There was only a minimal height difference between them, so they were pretty much eye-to-eye.

He could feel Eunhyuk’s breath on his face and he was positive the other boy could feel his. There was a tension between them that was palpable; Donghae found it hard to ignore.

Every bone in his body wanted him to push forward and attack the other boy with his lips, but his conscience denied him the ability.

“I’m sure your sister wouldn’t like to hear why we’re friends. Remember that no matter how much bravado you have, I have something on you. So why don’t you sit down and behave like a good little boy waiting for his older sister.”

Eunhyuk scoffed in shock as his eyes widen in surprise. His fists were clenched at his sides. Donghae looked down at them apprehensively.

He knew Eunhyuk could pack a wallop—he’d seen the boy in a fight before.

“Who the are you?” Eunhyuk asked in exasperation. “Or should I ask, what are you? Are you the ing devil in disguise?”

“Wow!” Donghae smugly smiled. “I’ve never been likened to the devil before. That’s a first.”

“You’ve got issues that I can’t even begin to list.”

Donghae smiled as he watched Eunhyuk take a seat and begin to ignore him again.

He shook his head and sat down again.

The silence between them was again not bothersome, but after their argument, Donghae was buzzing with adrenaline. All he wanted to do was continue arguing with the boy of his desires.

As ridiculous as he found it, every argument with Eunhyuk was refreshing. He enjoyed being able to have a back-and-forth with someone who could hold their own against him.

Even though he had had countless fights with his older brother over the years, it just wasn’t the same as it was with Eunhyuk. Not even the little playful spats he has with Kyuhyun on an almost daily basis measured up anywhere close to the ones he’s had with Eunhyuk, so far.

“Does your sister know about you?” Donghae broke the silence again.

“What are you talking about?”

Eunhyuk shoved the phone into the pocket of his skinny jeans, which Donghae spent a few seconds admiring. They really did not hide anything. His own jeans were so baggy that Eunhyuk could probably fit in them with him—comfortably.

“I mean does she know that you’re gay?”

Donghae whispered the last part, just in case Sora happened to appear at that moment.

“Yeah, she knows. She’s the only one in my family that knows.”

“So, you’re close?”

“We weren’t beforehand, but she caught me making out with a guy she used to have a crush on a few years ago. After that, we talked for a couple of hours and we became closer. She’s been really understanding and helpful.”

Eunhyuk smiled as he talked about Sora and Donghae couldn't help but smile in return. Nor could he stop his stomach from fluttering at how lovely Eunhyuk was at this moment.

His eyes were brighter and the smile was genuine, his gums showed proudly. It was obvious that he had a deep love and respect for his sister.

“Are you afraid your parents won’t approve?”

Immediately, Eunhyuk’s expression hardened.

“Let’s not talk about this. Don’t get involved in my personal business,” Eunhyuk reprimanded Donghae.

“If you haven’t already realized, I’m going to be all up in your business for the next six months. So, I don’t see why we can’t discuss something like this, especially since I have experience about coming out to my parents. I can help you.”

“I told you to drop it. If you so much as utter a single word to my parents, I swear I will destroy you worse than whatever you think you could do to me. If you ruin my chance to go to Paris, I will personally throw you off the top of Namsan Tower.”

“I guess we won’t be attaching locks up there,” Donghae sarcastically replied.

He wanted to address how Eunhyuk planned on keeping his so-called friends from spilling the beans to his parents, but Sora walked toward their area before he could ask.

Eunhyuk stood up quickly to welcome his sister.

“Sora!” Eunhyuk embraced his sister warmly. She was much shorter than her brother, reaching only to his shoulders, but they shared the same deep eyes, pale skin and pouty lips.

“My Hyukjae, did you forget about my break?”

“Yeah. Sorry,” he apologized bashfully.

It was the first time Donghae had seen this side of Eunhyuk; he really liked it.

“No problem,” Sora chuckled. “Go visit the sinks to get your hair washed.”

Eunhyuk nodded and made to walk away, but Donghae stood up abruptly to stop him.

“Oh right,” Eunhyuk begrudgingly announced. “This is my friend, Donghae.”

“Just friend?” Sora asked with a knowing smile on her face. “He’s messy but cute. Totally your type.”

“Sora!” Eunhyuk shouted as he turned his head in every which direction to make sure no one in the salon had heard.

Donghae chuckled into the back of his hand, reveling in the fact that he was apparently Eunhyuk’s type.

“Ah, so he is your boyfriend,” Sora teased as she turned to look at Donghae.

Donghae bowed in response and smiled brightly at her. She was nothing like her brother in terms of personality. She was bubbly and bright and Donghae got the feeling that they would get along really well in the next few months.

“It’s nice to meet you, Sora.”

“Likewise Donghae.”

“Well, now that the introductions are over,” Eunhyuk interrupted and stepped between them.

“It’s a long story as to who Donghae is to me.”

“Oh, he’s someone to you,” Sora smartly replied and winked toward Donghae.

It made Eunhyuk groan in frustration and Donghae laughed again.

“I’m only teasing, Hyukjae.”

“Whatever, I’m going to get my hair washed now.”

Sora snickered as she playfully shoved her brother away from them.

“He’s so overly sensitive.”

Donghae just nodded. He instantly liked Sora. Her quick wit was the only personality trait that she shared with her younger brother. Even though it was evident that they both loved each other deeply, Sora had a tougher exterior to her than Donghae initially believed.

“So you’re my brother's boyfriend?”

“Umm…sort of, the thing is...”

Donghae was lost for words for the first time in a long time.

“Yeah, he is,” Eunhyuk offhandedly answered, surprising Donghae.

“I thought you walked away already,” Sora replied.

“Please,” Eunhyuk scoffed. “You think I don’t know that you’re about to interrogate him as soon as I leave.”

Sora wiggled her eyebrows suggestively toward Donghae.

“He knows me well. Now, go get your hair washed, already,” Sora complained and tried to shove Eunhyuk away. “I have clients coming after you.”

“Not so fast,” Eunhyuk smirked as he looked toward a nervous Donghae.

Donghae didn't like the pure mischief dancing in Eunhyuk’s eyes. He shook his head, not really understanding why he did it.

Sora just stared confused at the two boys.

“Don’t you think Donghae needs a haircut?”

Donghae’s eyes went wide in consternation. He liked his hair long because he could hide behind it.

“I don’t think that’s necessary,” Donghae defended as he shoved his glasses up the bridge of his nose.

“He has really lovely eyes that would look better with shorter hair,” Sora reasoned expertly. “He also has a really nice face shape. Short hair would look great on him.”

“I like to keep my hair long.”

“Why?” Sora asked earnestly. “You don’t seem to have bad skin so you’re not using it to hide acne. Is it a religious thing?”

Eunhyuk sniggered at his sister’s question.

“Really? Religious? What kind of religion makes you keep your hair long?”

“I don’t know, Lee Hyukjae. I’m just trying to understand my client. No need to get snide.”

Donghae watched as Eunhyuk hung his head in embarrassment before he looked back up at him as if to ask what the reason was.

“I just like it long.”

Donghae didn't want to reveal that he’d been growing it out for the past five years, especially because the reason had to do with Eunhyuk.

With his hair long, it was easy to watch Eunhyuk without getting caught. It provided a small curtain to hide behind.

“Well, I think it will look better shorter. Don’t you agree, Hyukjae?”

With an almost sinister smile on his face, Eunhyuk nodded his head as he grabbed Donghae’s hand and pulled him toward the sinks.

“I really don’t want to cut my hair,” Donghae complained as he was dragged to get his hair washed.

“That’s too bad. I’m going to enjoy watching you suffer.”

Donghae tried to appeal to Eunhyuk’s more sensitive side and began to pout and give Eunhyuk a face he had used more than once on his family members to get his way about many things.

“That’s mean,” Donghae whispered while looking forlornly at Eunhyuk.

The other boy took a step back as he looked at Donghae’s face. He was stunned fleetingly by the sadness found in Donghae’s eyes, even behind the large glasses frames.

However, Eunhyuk shook his head, looked away, and continued to pull Donghae along.

“That’s a really, really good trick,” he mumbled.

Donghae sighed in defeat as Eunhyuk pushed him to a seat in front of one of the hair washing basins.

“I’m going to enjoy this,” he teased Donghae with a bright smile that revealed his gums in the way Donghae adored.

Donghae just closed his eyes as one of the stylists placed a cape around his shoulders so he wouldn't get wet. He bitterly let the stylist push his head to the cutout in the sink all while Eunhyuk laughed in the seat beside him.

He took his glasses off and the stylist got right to work.

The minute the water touched Donghae’s scalp, he cringed. It solidified the situation as very real. He didn't even enjoy the scalp massage the stylist gave him when she shampooed and conditioned his hair. All he could think about was Eunhyuk’s scissor-happy sister waiting for him in the back of the salon.

When the stylist helped him up, he noticed that Eunhyuk was already done getting his hair washed. With his right hand holding the towel on his head, he slipped his glasses on with his free hand and walked over to the chair he had been sitting in before.

As he assumed, Eunhyuk was already in Sora’s chair.

“I just need five minutes to trim and blow dry, Hyukjae and then I’ll get to work on you.”

“No problem,” Donghae barely whispered as he sank further into his seat. His shoulders slumped forward in dismay.

Both Lee siblings caught the display in the mirror and laughed. It embarrassed Donghae and he lowered his head to hide the red flush on his cheeks.

True to her word, Sora finished quickly with her brother and sent him off to sit in the chair beside Donghae.

Eunhyuk looked just about the same with his hair now brushing just below his cheekbones instead of by his chin.

It looked good.

Sora called for Donghae and he stood up nervously making Eunhyuk smile confidently.

“I’m not going to bite you, Donghae,” Sora teased as she helped Donghae on to the salon chair. “I’m just going to cut you.”

She laughed good-naturedly as she cut the air with her scissors.

Donghae swallowed slowly as she pulled his glasses off and handed them over to Eunhyuk.

“Can you see without these?” Eunhyuk asked he looked through the lenses.

Immediately, he regretted it. The prescription made him dizzy.

“Not really,” Donghae answered. “I have really bad vision. Everything looks like blurs of colors when I don’t have them on.”

“Oh, I love that,” Sora proclaimed. “I mean, I like when people with glasses get their hair cut because they can’t see anything until the final product. It’s like a big reveal.”

Donghae nodded his head in the direction of the pink blur of color, which he knew was Sora.

“Whatever,” Eunhyuk said as he placed the glasses next to him and went back to playing with his cell phone.

Sora worked diligently and quietly as she cut Donghae’s hair. He couldn't really make out what was happening, except for the sound of the scissors when they got close to his ear and the occasional wet cluster of hair that fell into his lap.

By the time, Sora brought out the electric trimmer, Donghae could already feel his head was much lighter without all the hair.

He relished in the feeling of the brush Sora uses to brush away the stray hairs on his neck when she pulled the cape off him.

Donghae watched her grab some bottle off the counter and use the contents to style his hair. He couldn't really see what she’d done, but he could make out that she’s flipped a part of it up in the front.

“Hyukjae, pass me his glasses,” Sora requested as she turned the chair away from the mirror and helped Donghae out of the seat.

Eunhyuk looked up from his phone for the first time in half-an-hour and was dumbfounded by what he saw.

“The glasses,” Sora ordered again, this time with a knowing tone to her voice.

“Umm yeah.”

It was all Eunhyuk could say as he passed the glasses over to his sister.

He couldn't quite grasp how well the haircut fit Donghae and how much more of his face you could see, and just how attractive the boy actually was.

Sora chuckled at her brother and passed the glasses over to Donghae. He slipped them on immediately but didn't turn around to face the mirror just yet.

He was more interested in seeing Eunhyuk’s reaction; it didn't disappoint.

The hairdresser’s brother looked slightly mystified by Donghae. It made him feel good.

He turned around to look at himself in the mirror and even he was surprised at how well the haircut turned out.

The sides were very clean and neat. Sora had flipped the front up a bit to add a bit of style to the look.

“It looks nice,” Donghae complimented and Sora thanked him with a bright smile. Donghae noticed that that was another difference between her and her brother; she didn't have a gummy smile.

“You’re welcome, dear. What do you think, Hyukjae?”

“It looks…alright,” Eunhyuk replied with a cough in between.

Sora rolled her eyes at her brother as she began to clean up her station before her next client arrived.

“How much is it?”

Donghae pulled his wallet out, but Sora pushed his hand away.

“Don’t worry about that. Any friend of Hyukjae’s is welcome here for free.”

“Thank you, Sora.”

She winked playfully at Donghae as she hugged her brother. She whispered something in his ear that Donghae couldn't make out, but the look of repulsion on Eunhyuk’s face was enough to make him not want to know.

He observed their goodbye before heading back to the chair holding his jacket.

He caught Eunhyuk sneak a peek at him as he slipped his coat on.

“Like what you see?” Donghae decided to tease.

Eunhyuk scoffed but didn't answer as he put his own coat on.

“Let’s get some food.”

“We’re not done yet?” Donghae asked, surprised that Eunhyuk wanted to continue hanging out.

“No. This was just a small detour. We have to talk about that stupid contract you made up.”

“My contract is not stupid.”

“Well, I have some addenda and amendments I’d like to make,” Eunhyuk explained while he led Donghae outside. They waved goodbye to Sora before exiting the store back to the cold of a January afternoon.

Donghae felt the difference in the weather more so now because of how uncovered his face was; the scarf really didn't help.

“I’m sure you do. So, where do you want to sit and talk about it.”

“Let’s go the café.”

“Which café? There’s so many of them in this area.”

“Always a smart response from you,” Eunhyuk retorted. “The one with the rabbit in the design.”


Hello lovely people,

I do hope you enjoyed this chapter. ^-^

I also want to thank the lovely haesthetics for the ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS banner she’s made for this story. Seriously, it’s so pretty. I can’t stop looking at it. If you want an idea of what Hae and Hyuk look like in this story, the banner will provide that for you. You can check it out in the FORWARD.

I’ve also created a TUMBLR to post teasers for all my stories and images and so forth. Feel free to follow. I’ll follow right back. I think it would be a lovely way to get to know some of you since AAF doesn’t really provide a place like that whereas other fanfiction sites I’ve used have provided a place like that.

Thank you for your support,

-our_ballad