THE THEFT

The Pretender

1: THE THEFT


“Dammit Kyu! Why do you always mess up the display before I get to it?” Donghae frustratingly yelled at the younger employee in the store.

He slammed his hands on the top of the cabinet to further get his attention. Donghae found himself busy rearranging the display of belt buckles in the glass display below the cash register. He always had to after his co-worker Kyuhyun’s shift at the register.

“It’s because I know you hate to clean it up, man.”

Donghae scowled at his coworker and shoved the glasses back up the bridge of his nose. They always slipped down.

“What have I ever done to you?” Donghae asked flabbergasted as the younger man smiled brightly at him from where he was folding shirts.

The boy always managed to sell so many of the gaudy buckles—many more than Donghae ever did—but he never put them back the way they were before. This made more tedious work for Donghae, who would rather be doing anything other than arranging the stupid things. Some had sharp edges that always managed to scratch him.

He despised the stupid things.

“As I'm younger than you, it’s my job to frustrate the crap out of you like a real little brother would.”

Donghae scoffed at the smart response though it was unsurprisingly coming from Kyuhyun. He often time seemed much older than Donghae, though he was two years younger.

“Isn’t your shift done yet?”

“In ten minutes. Why? Someone special coming to visit you?” Kyuhyun smartly replied.

“Do you ever say anything without that snide tone?”

“Rarely.” Kyuhyun smiled smugly at him. Donghae shook his head and chuckled while he returned to fix the belt buckle display.

Both of them worked at a trendy clothing shop in town, The Academy, even though Donghae himself couldn't care less about what he wore. When it came to clothing, all he cared about was that it fit and that it was also comfortable. 

He attends the local all-boys high school where they have to wear uniforms every day, which was why he could never understand why the guys in his school spent so much money at the store. They could only wear these things on the weekend anyway.

Donghae liked to spend his weekends in his pajamas. Even when he had to get dressed up to go out to the market with his mother, he just wore the same jeans and a white t-shirt.

Unlike most guys his age who concerned themselves with the latest fitted cap that’s come out or the newest pair of sneakers that have just been released, Donghae couldn't make himself care. 

Like his classmates, he’s worried about what college he’ll be attending, especially with only six months of school left. However, the other things they chose to spend their days focusing on seemed ridiculous to Donghae.

While his classmates were busy talking about the latest soccer match or the girls from the local all-girls high school, Donghae spent his time reading up on current affairs and staring at the boy he’d been crushing on since middle school, Eunhyuk.

Eunhyuk was one of the more popular students at the school, though he couldn't necessarily be considered the most popular. However, he was often spotted hanging out with the likes of the more popular group.

He didn't possess the unkindness or lack of tact of the popular crowd; he was pleasant enough to most people, though he had never actually acknowledged Donghae. There was one defining moment in middle school and he had once held the bathroom door open for him during their first year in high school.

That was their only real interaction in high school though they’ve shared a classroom for three years. They both even sat in the back of the room with Donghae sitting next to an empty window seat. Eunhyuk’s desk was across the small aisle between the desks, technically next to his.

Donghae had a prime viewing spot of Eunhyuk and he loved it.

Ever since the moment in middle school that sparked his crush, Donghae made it a habit to watch Eunhyuk, not in a "creepy stalker way," though Kyuhyun liked to call it that. He often teased Donghae telling him that he was trekking on the road to becoming a full-fledged stalker.

The middle school moment or "the moment” as Donghae was prone to call it was actually the fault of Eunhyuk’s closest friend, Siwon. He had left a bag of snacks in the aisle between the desks.

Donghae hadn’t seen it and tripped over it. He fell right into the back of Eunhyuk’s chair. The boy had just turned around with a smile on his face and asked if Donghae was okay.

When he had nodded his head, Eunhyuk had smiled even brighter revealing a cute, gummy smile that immediately made Donghae’s heart race.

That was the end of the encounter, nothing more, but that was all Donghae had needed to form a monstrous crush on the boy.

Since then, he’d watched the boy, and though they’ve never talked, Eunhyuk had always been cordial with him, unlike some of the people he was surrounded by. Donghae often finds himself daydreaming about Eunhyuk. However, he hasn’t let it affect his schoolwork, though it probably has affected his social life. However, if he was being honest with himself, he’s never really had one to begin with.

“Hae! I’m leaving!” Kyuhyun shouted from the front of the store waking Donghae from the daydream he’d been having.

“Okay. See you tomorrow, Kyu.”

The other boy waved happily at Donghae who finally closed the display he had been fixing.

There were only three hours until closing, but they seemed to drag on for Donghae.

Kyu had left the rest of the men’s department organized so all Donghae had to do was deal with customers when they chose to enter and to play with his phone.

However, not even watching videos online made the time go faster.

At one point, he actually contemplated rearranging the belt buckles just to give himself something to do.

Donghae assumed since it was Friday night that most people were out hanging out with friends or on dates. Something his mother wished he would do.

He was tired of having that conversation with his mother. Every weekend, she whined about how he never went out.

Donghae only had to deal with three customers by the time it was time to start readying the shop for closing. He excitedly began to realize that he may be able to close up early since there were only thirty minutes until closing and it had been over an hour since anyone had come in.

However, just as he was about to walk to the back office to ask the store manager for permission, Eunhyuk walked in.

Donghae immediately stopped everything he was doing to the point where he almost dropped his phone on the floor. Luckily, for him and his nearly empty wallet, he caught it before it did. However, his glasses slipped right on to the counter.

“Hello. Are you looking for anything in particular?” Donghae asked after he fumbled putting his glasses back on. He was shocked at the fact that he’d managed to greet Eunhyuk without stuttering though he was more than positive that he looked stupid struggling to put his glasses back on.

Donghae could feel his heart pounding in his ears and he was almost sure that Eunhyuk could probably hear it from where he was standing.

Eunhyuk nodded his head in the form of a greeting.

“Not really,” he responded with a wry smile. “I’ll let you know if anything comes to mind.”

Eunhyuk turned to the t-shirt display and Donghae took a deep breath in. He couldn't believe that they'd actually spoken to each other, albeit two sentences, but they had talked—to each other. 

He stealthily watched as Eunhyuk walked around the store floor. He tried to memorize the way the other boy’s fingers delicately touched each of the t-shirts and the way he smiled when he found something he liked.

Donghae didn't even get upset at the fact that he’ll have to reorganize all the shirts since Eunhyuk had made of mess of the displays.

At one moment, Eunhyuk sheepishly looked his way and Donghae pretended to be focusing on something on the cash register. However, his eyes were permanently fixed on the small security camera screen beside the register.

From the screen, he could see that Eunhyuk was staring in his direction.

Donghae refused to look up from the nonsense he was pretending to do with the cash register. He never even contemplated that he’d ever had to deal with this situation.

He had been working at The Academy for over two years and had never run into Eunhyuk.

He believed it would never happen though he had thought about it many times.

Donghae watched as his crush walked around the whole store. He was carrying a black shirt with something written on it. He was not entirely sure what because Kyuhyun was the one who put up that new display.

He had yet to look up from the cash register; he just watched Eunhyuk from the tiny security TV. On the screen, he caught him looking his way every so often.

Each time he noticed, Donghae’s heart raced.

Since Eunhyuk’s entrance into the store, Donghae’s breathing had become erratic and his heart had been making the notion that it may pop out of his chest. He was also positive that sweat was starting to slide down the nape of his neck into the back of his shirt.

However, he had to look up when he caught Eunhyuk slip the shirt into his backpack.

Donghae’s heart dropped in disappointment.

He hadn't pegged Eunhyuk as someone who would steal.

“Excuse me,” Donghae whispered from his spot, but the other boy made no indication that he had heard the feeble reprimand. He’d already been making his way toward the exit.

Donghae sighed in anguish as he walked toward Eunhyuk. The other hadn't noticed the movements.

Donghae had no desire to embarrass his crush, but he knew that his boss would see the missing money during inventory and take the amount out of his already pitiful paycheck.

When he reached Eunhyuk, he tapped him on the shoulder. Eunhyuk definitely felt it.

He yelped in surprise before trying to make a full on break for the front of the store. However, he found himself caught in the labyrinth of clothes racks and gave up as Donghae cornered him next to the changing rooms.

“I’m so—s—s—sorry,” Eunhyuk began to stutter as Donghae stared at him. “Pl—please don’t call the police. I promise I won’t do it again. I’m graduating soon. Please just let me go.”

“I know.” Donghae pushed his glasses up, but they slipped back to the middle of his nose making him tilt his head back to look at his crush.

Eunhyuk was taken aback by the comment.

“Do I know you?” he asked.

“Not really, but we do go to school together. We’re even in the same class,” Donghae remarked, surprising the petty thief who didn't seem to believe him.

Eunhyuk looked carefully at him, letting his eyes roam up and down Donghae’s body.

“Oh yeah. You’re the kid who sits by the window. How are you?” he replied.

Momentarily, Donghae couldn't breathe. Eunhyuk actually seemed to know who he was, but Donghae shook his head. He knew what Eunhyuk was doing; he’d seen him do it hundreds of times since middle school.

Eunhyuk wasn’t mean, but the man was clever—too clever.

He always managed to talk his way out of sticky situations by beginning friendly enough and talking non-stop until the other person forgot what they were arguing about in the first place.

“That’s not what’s really important here. Is it?” Donghae steered the conversation back to the original problem.

Eunhyuk pursed his lips and Donghae could tell by the action that his non-response to Eunhyuk’s conversation starter had frustrated him.

Donghae felt slightly victorious but still defeated because he couldn't stop staring at Eunhyuk’s lips. They had always been a favorite of his. He often stared at them when Eunhyuk fell asleep in class. The boy always slept facing toward his desk.

“I swear I can pay for it. Just not right now.”

“I can’t let you leave the store with the shirt. If I do, I’ll get in trouble for letting you go, plus they’ll take it out of my paycheck.”

Eunhyuk sighed in defeat and handed the shirt over to Donghae, who accepted it with a wan smile.

“Are you going to tell your boss?” Eunhyuk asked. He kept wringing his hands and looking down in shame.

Donghae looked toward the manager’s door. The man hadn’t stepped out yet which probably meant he was asleep. It also meant he hadn’t seen what happened.

The moment he realized his manager was clueless to what was going on, an idea popped into Donghae’s head. It was as if a light switch had been flipped.

“I have to tell him,” Donghae earnestly lied. His manager clearly had no idea what happened so he could let Eunhyuk leave in peace without getting in trouble, but Donghae decided to lie.

He didn't know when he would get a chance to ever make such a proposition. He didn't even know if Eunhyuk would accept it, but he still worked up the nerve to ask because he had nothing to lose and a lot to gain from it.

“I understand,” Eunhyuk whispered.

Donghae felt guilty, but he still decided he needed to do this.

“But—”

“But?” Eunhyuk cut Donghae off. He was excited and the look of hope on his face was doing things to Donghae.

“But I won’t tell him if you do something for me.”

“What? I’ll do anything, I swear. I just can’t get in trouble; my parents will kill me.”

“I want you to pretend to be my boyfriend until one day after graduation,” Donghae proposed causing Eunhyuk to shout.

“What!”