The Rules

Dara, The Chambermaid
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I bit my lips as I pace back and forth in my quarters. I think I am hyperventilating right now. I also look at my phone for the nth time, hoping for my wonderful friend Bom to ring me back but nah, yada. My good for nothing bestfriend is not calling me back!!


My current predicament needs an explanation from Bom but my best friend is inexplicably out of reach and only her high-pitchy voice mail answers my calls!


"Park Bom..." I grit her name under my breath. I very well believe that Bom actually knows this.

 

"Didn't Park Bom tell you?"


I groan. Oh, yeah. Teddy asked me if I know it already. 


If I knew that my new employer is not a six years old toddler but a big grown up guy in his twenties!! And I think a sadist one at that too.


'I'm gonna kill you for this, Bommie.'


I stop. Maybe Bom doesn't have a plan to mention it to me in the first place. She knew I will reject it immediately. The idea of nanny-ing a grown up guy is simply absurd!


I groan again. And I signed the contract already! And used the deposited money too!


RINGGGGG


Instantly, I flip my phone open.


"BOM!" I already shout on the other line.


"Noona so loud." Sanghyun answers from the other line instead.


"Dog-poop!" I glance at my watch. 3:30 PM. "Why are you calling? You still have classes!"


I hear Sanghyun sighs. Oh, God. Not good.


"Noona, emergency." Sanghyun finally drop the E bomb.


I gulp and weakly sit on my bed. "W-why? What happened?" I hold my breath as I wait for my brother's answer.


"Dadoong's pregnant."


It takes a moment before that register. "What?" I shake my head before, "Dadoong is pregnant? Dadoong is a girl?" I can't believe that of how many years that cat is in our care, I only realize her gender now. "So, who's the daddy?" I think I just asked something stupid.


"Noona, calm down." Sanghyun says, "I think you are already panicking even before this phonecall." 


Bull's eye. 


Of course, I'll deny that. "Of course not." coming back to the topic, "So? What if Dadoong is pregnant? Our mother is a vet, did you forget that?"


Sanghyun sighs at this. "There goes the problem." he answers, "Dadoong has an intestinal infection too and needs operation soon. She keeps vomiting green liquids." I can imagine that. "She'll die if Mom won't operate her ASAP..."


I close my eyes. I think I already know what is coming next.


"It was an expensive procedure..."


WAS. I knew it.


"Mom used all the money you just sent for Dadoong's operation." Sanghyun finally states.


Argh. Talking about my mother and the word compassion in the wildest forms. Practicality is always out of the question. Animals before her own children. That's how my mother operates. 


"Dami-noona and my finals are three weeks from now. We couldn't clear our clearances because we haven't settled our accounts yet."


I see it coming. I simply see it coming. I knew it. I knew it.


And in that very cute voice, Sanghyun continues, "Can you settle it again for us?"


Talking about family responsibilities. Breadwinner. Me.


I sigh and massage my temple. "Don't worry, dog poop. Three weeks? I think..." I look up just to be surprise when my eyes meet someone else's eyes in the room. "...I-I can handle t-that."


"Really? Oh, noona. Thank you!! I knew it! Anyong!" and a soft 'beep' after.


Sanghyun hangs up already but my breaths is still hanging on the air as I meet Kwon Jiyong, my ward or rather my real 'master' still clad in his blue pajamas, staring 'oddly' on me.


And god, I swear he is not happy to STILL see me. 


Who wouldn't be? 


I almost scalp his head and deny him his air. He almost died there.


I should not feel guilty because I'm innocent and didn't know he is my new ward, you know. But damn, I feel so guilty. 


I barely notice Madame Juri's presence behind Kwon Jiyong. If not for her widening eyes on me that makes me stand up and 'collect' my self quickly, I wouldn't notice her. I flatten my maid dress too. Realizing what I'm wearing, I feel little for being a maid, for the first time.


Why wouldn't I, anyways? When my new 'master' looks at me in a degrading-iest manner. Like I'm the littlest creature being presented in front of him out there. Adding to the embarrassment of mistaken identity I already felt earlier.


"Maid." Jiyong finally calls.


I frown. "What?"

 

Madame Juri's sharp glares fixes my intonation quickly. "Ah...er, what, young m-master?"


Jiyong smirks at this. He sees through my tenseness.  


I realize I hate that. Smirks usually promises evil plans.


"Give me your phone."


Jiyong then open his palm to me that I just blink on it.


I then look at him. "What?" I glare at him now and Madame Juri's another sharperst glare won't distract me this time. "No way! Why would I?"


Jiyong looks at me like I just say a stupid remark. "Because I told you so."


Madame Juri fakes a cough as she offers explanation I don't ask in the first place. "Miss Sandara Park, if you have 'read' and understand what's written in 'your' contract then you won't miss item #8 on prohibiting personal phones while on the job. And for you it is for two weeks. Now, surrender your phone to young master and  we'll do our 'jobs' properly after."


I grip my phone tightly. What's with that non-sense rule! It's my OWN phone, for Pete's sake! 


My expression didn't miss my new 'master' eyes.


Jiyong then adds, "I think you also didn't read item #10. Or didn't read the entire contract, at all." he smirks at me again.


And he can tell I didn't read my contract!


"...that any disobedience in the rules will nullify your salary."


And sneers after. I know he is enjoying the terror on my face right now. 


"And you can't really disobey me because Teddy phoned me he already paid you quarter. Now, hand me your phone, maid."


I measure his stares and cannot find words to retaliate that. In the end, I reluctantly hand him my phone, surrendering... just to gasp loudly after.


Kwon Jiyong, without breaking my gaze, pull out my phone's SIM card, drops my phone on the floor then smashes it with his shoe - not blinking an eye.


I jaw-dropped at this. Disbelief written all over my face. 'W-what...?' M-my...my...my still on-going contractual phone is smashed on the ground! 


Oh my, gosh! My phone... my poor phone.


I look at Kwon Jiyong and did what first come in my mind. Attack.


"You ing monster!!" 


I then jump on him and yank his hair 'so hard' I wish to bald him really this time.


Madame Juri shrieks loudly.


"SANDARA PARK!!" 

 

--

 

"Here."


I glare at Minzy. I'm not only glaring at her but to everyone else too. I think I just became an anti-social psychopath who won't calm so soon.


'That bastard!'


I don't curse all the time but today I just cursed twice. 'Oh, I wanna kill that ing --' oh, that's cursing thrice in a row now. '!' Fourth.


I just sigh heavily and look at Minzy again. I realize she doesn't deserve my anger.


"What is that?" I then ask her, looking at the so 90s phone she tossed on my lap.


Minzy smiles at me now and sits with me on the bed. 


"That's a prepaid phone. Madame Juri asks me to give it to you. She said she cannot face you anytime soon right now."


I think I know the reason why. She does not want to commit a crime by frying me alive.


"We can't have our own phone but every servant should have this." she points the phone on my lap. She then continues, "Every servant has it but that particular phone has the only connection to young master Kwon Jiyong." she shrugs after. "Of course, Madame Juri, too. But young master seldom connects or not at all to her. He only communicates through that phone's number." Minzy explains.


I glare on the phone like I want it to burn. The very thing I also want to do on Kwon Jiyong right now.


"I think I will smash this too." I just say.


Minzy smiles sympathetically at me. "I'm sorry to hear about your phone, Dara." she then hold my hands. "but don't do that. You'll break item #15."


I roll my eyes. There we go with these items again. What's with these rules!? 


"Why didn't I read these items in the contract?" I ask Minzy, frustratingly.


Minzy looks at me, quizzically too. She then nods in agreement, "Yeah. Why didn't you? I thought you know what you're doing."


I just puff my bangs upwards. 


I don't want to answer Minzy that I didn't bother to read my contract because I'm too shallow for a thousand bucks IN DOLLARS salary for the job. I bit on it quickly. I didn't even ask myself the basic of why would someone pay a big amount of money in a shorter duration IF not for a job that requires a hundred times patience and impossible self-control that hardly guarantees not to turn you into a murderous person at the end of the deal.


And it's only my first day that I want to murder someone already!


'He is so childish!! And frustrating! A monster!' I want to cry again at the thought of my poor phone. 'M-my phone...waaa...' I even haven't completed my payment for that phone yet.


And Kwon Jiyong just smashes it i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter