Hindsight was 20/20

Hello Stranger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I'm sorry this took so long! :( I have been writing this chapter for months.

____

If I don’t get a reply from you in the next 12 hours, I’m going to call the police.

 

Just how was Kevin Woo going to call the Seoul police all the way from LA? That was something Eunyoung would like to see. Her self-imposed withdrawal meant that this spell was the longest she had gone MIA on her best friend and Kevin was understandably worried, based on his increasingly rabid text messages when his Skype calls went unanswered.

 

This wasn’t bratty behaviour.

 

The woman couldn’t bring herself to speak to him or even reply with a short message. When it came to this ex-girlfriend of his, Kevin was a mind reader - she knew that he would be able to see through her like glass.

 

Her mind was a mess. She still couldn’t forgive herself for having with Seunghyun and hated herself for breaking up with Seungri. Nothing could heal her, except for time. Eunyoung opted to bury herself in work and ignore the obvious sadness, except in bed, late at night, when confronted with insomnia, she still refused to confront the issue. How did you get over this?

 

Eunyoung was doing her best not to succumb to a breakdown.

 

Deep in her bones, her mind recognised that the second she saw that pretty face or heard his voice, everything she had been holding back would burst like a flooded dam.

 

Until she could sort her ed up heart and talk about what happened without crying, Eunyoung decided it was best to avoid her best friend.

 

But damn, Kevin was far too persistent.

 

With the threat of being put on the missing persons list hanging over her head, the woman had not choice but to send half the truth.

 

I’m sorry, Kev. Seungri and I broke up. I just need some time to myself.

 

God! You scared me. I thought you were lying in a ditch somewhere dead. I thought you liked him. Let me know when you are ready to talk.

 

She should have left this man, thought Eunyoung as she stared at the words on screen. She should have just hung on tight to Kevin and not looked at any other male after. Perhaps both of them would be happily living together in America now, like a ordinary couple.

 

Or maybe the 15-year-old Eunyoung never should have listened to a single word that came out of Choi Seunghyun.

 

Hindsight was 20/20.

 

“Hey Amber, I’m done with the changes.” Hani’s voice intruded her reverie. The deputy editor leaned against the door frame, mock ups in one hand.

 

“Thanks for your hard work.” Receiving the stack of papers, struggled to smile.

 

Instead of turning to leave, Hani lingered, shifting her weight around.

 

This hesitation wasn’t lost on Eunyoung who asked, “Yes, Hani?”

 

“Are you OK? You’ve been out of sorts this week.”

 

At this point, it occurred to Eunyoung how she had absolutely no female friends. Eunyoung had lost contact with Elin and even back home, it was her basketball homies she picked up the phone to call first, then Sunyoung and Jinri for old times sake. In fact, Liu Eunyoung had zero friends in Seoul.

 

There was no harm in opening up to a colleague, she reasoned internally, “No, not really. Seungri and I are no longer together.”

 

“Oh! I’m so sorry to hear that.”

 

As Hani absorbed this information, the editor tried to read her face for any evidence of regret of having shown concern.

 

“Are you going to be staying late? That’s not going to be good for you. It’s Friday night, do you want to join me and my friends for drinks?”

 

The smile that Eunyoung had been wrestling with finally broke free. No wonder Hani was more dressed up than normal - she noted the other female’s fuller makeup. It was refreshing that the colleague didn’t pounce to know the background of the breakup - like the regular girl would - and didn’t scurry away in awkwardness.

 

Grateful for the invitation, Eunyoung tagged along with Hani to meet a gaggle of females. Creative types normally hung out with the same kind - one of them worked in advertising, another was a music teacher, there was even an artist amongst them. Not caring if their friendliness was out of pity, she allowed the noisy atmosphere of the busy restaurant to envelop her and accepted the cups of soju passed her way. Learning that the girl next to her had just completed a secondment in LA, she started to share various favourite spots back in her old home.

 

Partway through the dinner though, Hani pulled a face that caught Eunyoung’s attention. “Is something wrong?” The editor asked, waving her hands in concern.

 

“Dara and TOP have postponed their wedding. Yongguk asked whether he should write it up for online. I think we should Instagram this first?”

 

Hani pointed at her mobile and Eunyoung picked

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter