No escape

Hello Stranger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Spongebob Square Pants wasn’t her choice of cartoon to watch but when your parents didn’t have cable TV, beggars couldn’t be choosers. This was the life, Eunyoung smugly thought, the yellow thingamajig pranced on the screen as she alternated between popping chips and guzzling soda.

 

“You are so American,” judged Eunji, plopping down next to her sister on the sofa. Eunyoung degenerated to her teenage version on visits back home. Out came the basketball jerseys and baggy shorts – all grown up pretence was shed. 

 

Hugging the bag of junk food, the younger woman refused to share, sticking out her tongue. Eunji smacked her head. “Selfish brat.”

 

“That stupid sponge thing is inane.” 

 

“His starfish friend is dumber.”

 

The two sisters halted their childish behaviour for the moment and traded insults about the cartoon while snacking. It was good to be home, where her parents babied her. Although Eunyoung wasn’t sure whether it was the best time to leave the donkeys at office unsupervised but there was annual leave to clear. When her phone buzzed to show a silly meme that Seungrihad sent, her sister pounced right on.

 

“Who is that? Is that your boyfriend?”

 

“Maybe.” The younger woman was coy, with a half smile.

 

Hanging out with her younger sibling also brought the child out of Eunji and she tickled Eunyoung, “I’m going to tell Appa and Umma.”

 

It was this sight of her adult daughters flinging chips at each other that Mrs Liu walked into. Ignoring the mess,their mother made a stern announcement, “Auntie Choi passed away. We have to go to the wake.”

 

Seunghyun’s aunt hadn’t followed the rest of the family when they moved to Seoul, opting to stay put in the small town. Her decision had baffled everyone for she possessed a natural glamour that was more suited for the bustling city. Despite her attractiveness, she never married. Auntie Choi had taken a liking to the youngest Liu and fed her more chocolates a little girl should eat – years later, she was tickled pick to find out that her favourite nephew was dating the tomboy.

 

However, Eunyoung hadn’t met Auntie Choi in years – the last time was before leaving for the States. Shocked by the news, the woman felt ashamed that she couldn’t look past the older woman’s connection with Seunghyunto pay her a visit whenever back on holiday.

 

“I didn’t know she was ill.” Eunji broke the silence first.

 

“It was cancer. She didn’t tell anyone, not even her brother. Until it was too late.” Recalling that her mother and Auntie Choi were classmates, Eunji went to offer a comforting hug.

 

Memories flooded Eunyoung as she joined in to console their mother. Auntie Choi adored her shining star nephew – they shared a special bond. It had been amazing to witness how the two of them could complete each other sentences like best friends instead of aunt and nephew. Eunyoung would sit in the back of Auntie Choi’s convertible for joy rides with the top off - three of them engaged in furious rapping competitions. 

 

This state of nostalgia continued. At the funeral home, she hid behind Eunji, not wishing to appear blatantly before the Chois. The space next to Minhwan where Seunghyun should have stood was glaringly obvious. It wasn’t the place or time to wonder where the elder Choi son was.  

 

Her exhale of relief came too soon for Choi Seunghyun appeared later, purposefully striding towards his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter