Like a lightning bolt

Hello Stranger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lateness was inexcusable.

 

Alone in the busy restaurant, Eunyoung was thankful for work as company, editing a draft article on her iPad while waiting. Why would Kevin set her up with someone who couldn’t even be punctual for a first date? Deep inside, she was touched by Kevin’s gestures, even when they were too kind and she might not seem appreciative outwardly.

 

Only two weeks in the office and the new editor of Entertainment Plus had her plate full. Funny how things came in a full circle. One of the competitor magazines was Pop Flick, where she had her first internship. When the headhunter had come knocking in LA with the offer, Eunyoung had been reluctant to take it up. Moving home was the last thing on her mind – it was tough to leave the home she had built in the States. “Think about your parents. You have been away so long,” Kevin had persuaded her. The man had a way of pulling guilt trips on her. Although Mr and Mrs Liu didn’t put up any objections when their younger daughter decided to stay in the States after one semester of exchange programme at UCLA, which parents didn’t want their child near?

 

Besides, Korean entertainment was her specialisation – of course – and the company was offering a promotion and an expat package. There was no reason for Eunyoung to refuse.

 

A hand put a glass of wine on the table. Looking up at the waiter, the woman thought he had made a mistake, “I’m sorry. I didn’t order this.”

 

With a slight tilt of his hand, the waiter signalled to the right of the room, “This is from the gentleman over there.”

 

Her line of vision following in the general direction, Eunyoung spotted a man looking right at her. She seemed to recall vaguely, having seen him somewhere. He broke into a wide grin, and patted his cheek three times.

 

That man outside the cafe, the one who had made away with her iced Americano.

 

Aware that Eunyoung had recognised him, the man reached over to speak with his companion, who was obviously annoyed. Fixing his tie as he stood up, the man made his way to Eunyoung’s table.

 

“Hello again.” He pulled out the chair opposite hers and sat down without waiting to be invited, apparently confident he wouldn’t get chased away. “I owe you a drink and now we are even.”

 

Objectively, a glass of red more than made up for the iced Americano but Eunyoung wasn’t going to refuse a free drink. 

 

“My name is Seungri,” introduced the man with a twinkle in his eye.

 

Shaking the offered hand hard, Eunyoung couldn’t resist returning his devil-may-care smile, “I’m Amber.”

 

Her new friend didn’t seem to be in a hurry to get back to his own table, “Nice to meet you Amber. Why are you here alone?”

 

Eunyoung wasn’t one to not talk to strangers, especially one so disarming, “My date is late.”

 

“No gentleman keeps a lady waiting,” Seungri let out a tsk.

 

“Isn’t that what you are doing to your lady?” Eunyoungdidn’t like the look that his companion shot her from a distance. The long-haired woman wasn’t the sameperson who had slapped Seungri – this man was probably

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter