Homecoming

Hello Stranger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2016

 

“I can’t believe you. The plane only just touched down and here you are, trying to set up me with some guy?”

 

Laughter rang out, only to earn annoyed looks from the woman’s fellow passengers. Pointedly ignoring them, she continued to speak into the mobile phone that was lodged between her ear and shoulder as she packed her scattered belongings, “You know you are such a er, Kev.”

 

“Language, honey, language. It’s a good thing you aren’t in coach or they would have thrown you off the plane by now,” came a melodious voice through the receiver.

 

Haphazardly throwing the scarf into her leather tote, the woman defiantly glanced around the business class of the aircraft, before continuing the conversation, “I don’t think the old men on this flight can understand my super quick valley girl English. I truly have underestimated you, I thought you would have laid low now that I’ve moved to Seoul. But no, bam, you spring right into action. But seriously Kevin, which ex-boyfriend keeps introducing new men to his ex-girlfriend?”

 

The seatbelt sign turned off and she stood up - her seat belt long unbuckled - to stretch one arm and the other hand still holding onto the phone.

 

“A very caring ex-boyfriend.” Came the swift reply.

 

“Aww, if you are so caring, why the hell did you break up with me in the first place?” She could never resist taking a jab at Kevin.

 

“My dear, why do you keep bringing up history?” The other party adopted a sombre tone. ”It wouldn’t have worked out between us, you weren’t in love with me.”

 

Pouting petulantly, even though Kevin couldn’t see her, the woman insisted in a small voice, “I did love you.”

 

Finally, the doors of the plane opened. Exiting with the rest of the business class passengers, the woman returned the stewardess’ perfunctory bows, pleased to finally have the freedom to move about.

 

“Yes, you did.” Kevin conceded virtually. “But not enough. I’m tired of seeing you go through men like toilet paper, Miss Love Them and Leave Them. Plus, I want you to have a good start in Seoul.”

 

Admittedly, even though he could be annoying, her ex-boyfriend and also best friend had her best interests at heart and she would also love him for that. “I’m already having a great start. They flew me business!”

 

Having been ages since she was at the Seoul airport, the woman needed some time to read the signs and orientate herself.

 

“Don’t think of it as a blind date, think of it like making a new friend. You need friends in Seoul.”

 

Joining the line at immigration, the woman said, “Did you forget that I’m Korean?”

 

“A Korean who hasn’t been home for six years. I think I’ve more friends than you in Seoul.” The American-born Korean was quick to refute.

 

“All right, Kev. Sheesh, you are worse than my mother. I got to go, it’s my turn. Love you.” 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter