Chapter 6

Fractured Gem
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Agate

  Cloaked in black with razor sharp teeth and claws, the Demon burst through the Gate with a loud roar.  Glowing, blood red eyes zeroed in on us in an instant with murderous intent. 

  I reached for my sword and gripped it firmly in my hands as I held it before me.  Topaz pulled the two swords he had sheathed at his waist out and twirled them in his hands as a smirk grew on his lips.  We looked over at each other, our eyes locked and a nod was shared before we shot forward and simultaneously attacked the Demon full force.

  Jumping up I swung my sword so it slashed across the torso of the monster.  Black blood began to pour from the gash, the thick liquid dripped down my sword and onto the ground with soft dripping noises.

  Roaring in rage and pain as Topaz stabbed the Demon in the back between his shoulder blades and sliced down to the ground, the Demon spun on him and swiped his claw out.  Jumping back, Topaz just missed the deadly strike with a frown on his lips.

  This was one of the weaker Demons I have come across.  Its movements are slow and easily predictable.  Blinded by rage and clouded with pain this is one of the easiest kills yet.  The blood wasn’t poisonous, and it held no power to harm us other than what it physically could do.

  It really is a shame all Demons weren’t like this one.  I could have handled guarding this Gate on my own if this was the worst that came through it.  Sadly it wasn’t.

  Twisting my blade though the air so it spun in a circle I let my power run through the hilt and up through the blade.  With my energy coursing though sword I called for Topaz to stand down and step back before I rushed at the Demon’s back, my sword landing near his center.

  In a powerful wave the energy coursing through my sword pulsed from the blade through the Demon.  With an angry roar, I ripped my blade from it’s back, jumping away as it collapsed to the ground still trying to swipe at me.  I watched as black flames began to eat at the Demon’s flesh before it completely vanished before our eyes.

  “Topaz, you good?”  I called, pulling a cloth from my pocket to wipe my sword clean before sheathing it once again.

  “No scrapes, no bites, no blood.”  He took the cloth from me when I was finished and cleaned his weapons off as we were taught.  It was never good to keep Demon blood on blades used to fight them.  It allowed them to heal faster if blood of their brethren was coating the blade that cut them.  “You?”

  “Some blood, but it isn’t dangerous.  Main priority is that it didn’t get anything in here.” I told him as I looked over at the stock-still, wide-eyed Warriors.  “Don’t look so shocked, boys, that’s the first one of the day, there are more to come.  Stronger, faster, more skilled, what you just saw was nothing compared to what is to come.”

  “We got shipped here to deal with that?”  East Gate’s first born Warrior, Chanyeol.  His medium brown hair that was a shade darker than his younger brother’s was, it curled and hung in his face as his mouth gapped at Topaz and I.

  “Many times a day.”  I laughed.  “I’ve been dealing with these Demons since before I became a Guardian.  I was trained since a child on how to combat and handle these creatures; the lot of you are going to need more training and a God to grant you favor.”

  “I’m partial to Ares, Greek God of war.”  Topaz told them, I simply rolled my eyes at him.

  “I value Ma’at.”  I informed them.  “Truth, harmony and justice are far more important when this is looked at as a whole.  I do suggest you find what God or Goddess you are most affiliated with, they may just offer guidance or aid if you ask in a time of need.”

  “Good choice, she’s favored you for some time as well.”  Topaz remarked.  “You six ready for war?”

  “If I say no, can I leave?”  Sehun, the youngest son of the East Gate questioned.

  I let out a gleeful laugh, “No chance any of you are going anywhere.  Your parents handed you over to me, gave me your lives, and your services even if your death is involved.  I don’t want you here, so if you die, I can guarantee I will rejoice and thank the Gods.”

  “Now that your imminent and joyous death is covered, let us move on.”  Topaz halted me from speaking any longer.  “What we deal with, they do not teach at the Academy.  They don’t tell you about these Demons that are trying to invade our land and destroy the realms.  The North Gate is the only Gate that teaches its Warriors about the threat they will one day have to combat and hold at bay.”

  “That Demon was low level and weak.”  I told them.  “He was slow and easy to predict.  His weaknesses w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter