Sungyeol

Pandora's Box
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Not everyone understood the world. Not everyone wanted to understand. How society worked and how you could be the one in a million; it all came down to one thing. Fame, fortune, power; it all comes from the mind. It would be worthless if the human mind didn’t put a figure to those mere three words. Yes, totally worthless.

 

In society, he would probably be labelled as the most worthless. He wasn’t as smart as the others. He wasn’t as popular as the other and he wasn’t very strong. Sure, he was tall but that was just about it. But he didn’t hate it. Not at all. After all, he taught him to love. He, taught him to be himself.

 

Fame. Fortune. Power. It means nothing if you don’t love.

That was when he realised. He didn’t need fame, fortune or power. All he wanted was love.

 

 

 

September 1st 2013

(21:01pm)

Age: 22

 

 

        The tall man threw his book away in anger. The more he read, the more the book didn’t make sense. Maybe it was really true. He was a man born without a brain so it has been said. That might be true but he was sure he was born with a heart. The beating; the warmth, it made him feel alive. There was only one person that made him feel like that. It filled him with life, knowing that very person was someone under the same sky as him waiting to be found. He could tell it was still morning.  The strong ray of light couldn’t miss his eyes. Few metres away shining through a small hole was what gave him a reason to continue living.

 

 

“Get me another book! An easier one this time.” With a raised voice, he yelled. To get some attention, he grabbed onto the cell bars and began pulling, tugging it. Loud clanging pained the nearby guard’s ears. After 5 years of living in his cell, Sungyeol had learnt a few tricks to get the guards to notice him quickly and give him what he wanted. By annoying them, he could get everything he wanted. Well, not everything. There was one thing he definitely wasn’t allowed and it was the one thing he wanted the most.

 

 

“Shut the up will you! I’ll bring you your damn book!” After 10 minutes of continuous rattling, his demand for an easier book had finally been met. Sungyeol smirked with pride, letting go of the cold bars which froze his hands before falling back to his ‘bed’.

        He looked down at his pink cold hands. It didn’t bother him much. He was already use to it by now. Coldness was never a problem for him compared to Sunggyu and Myungsoo who had more difficulty coping with. In fact, the cold was always one of his favourite. Remembering back to the small crystals of snow that would fall from the sky and cover the earth in a sheet of white, it made him remember him. There, he would see a speck of yellow. The yellow figure would turn around as he got closer. A shocked face would be plastered on the other’s face, not realising the tall male was standing watch before it quickly changed to a bright smile. If Sungyeol was the snow, the latter would surely be the sun which melted him.

 

 

“When the snow melts, what does it become?”

 

 

“Water…?”

 

 

“The answer is obvious. It becomes spring of course!”

 

 

      Yes, Sungjong was the sun to his snow. He would always be the one to bring back spring. No matter harsh the winter was, spring would always be around the corner. These past 5 years to him were nothing compared to the hardship of that single day. The day he realised he would lose the most important person in his life.

      He had drilled into is head that the harsh winter was now and soon spring will come around to greet him. He hoped for it, wished for it. No matter how long it took, he swore he would wait for it. However, the growing years had made him want it more. They say time makes the heart grow fonder. It was true. Sungyeol himself was living it. The more time he spent in the winter confinements, the more he wanted and needed spring to arrive. He wasn’t as strong as Hoya in terms of build, nor was he as intelligent as Sunggyu. A part of Sungyeol felt like he was fighting a losing battle but everyone knew it was a battle worth fighting for. Demons will laugh at his efforts but he was sure the angels will gracefully smile at his efforts.

 

 

“Here’s your ing book.” The guard threw it between the gaps of the cells, barely missing the young sinner’s head. Sungyeol was still in dream land when a loud bang coming from the book colliding to the wall woke him up. In some ways, it had been a good wake up call. It helped force him back to reality which was what he needed the most at this very moment. There was no time sitting, wishing to be beside the maknae when it could be used for other important things.

      Sungyeol grabbed the book which sat half opened, faced down next to his lap.

 

 

“No Longer Human but Osamu Dazai… Japanese?” He looked at the cover which was a single black figure which looks almost alien like in front of a full pink background. Judging by the cover, it was one Sungyeol would never look twice about. The cover was plain and the name of the book was nothing that really interested him. No longer human… Somehow the words haunted him. What intrigued him the most was that the book was by a Japanese author. So far, he had read the works of the English, American and Korean. Never has he been thrown a book written by a Japanese author before. Not discriminating or anything. It was just a sudden change of cycle for Sungyeol. Since it was here, he might as well read it. Not that he would understand any of it.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 “HYUNG! How long are you planning to hide from everyone?” The maknae shouted from the top of his lungs, searching around the empty halls of Woollim’s headquarters. Its dark hallways always gave him chills and tonight was no different. There was something about the darkness of the hallways which always made him feel as if he was being…watched. He wished that Sungyeol would just pop up and lau

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter