Part Two

Troubled Confession


Chapter Five




| BAEKHYUN

 
Loud thumps wake me up in the late night. I can tell it’s coming from outside and with half way open eyes, I get out of bed to see what’s happening. The door barely opens an inch wide and I can hear my mom crying.
 
“Please Jitae!” She begs. “Please!” 
 
My heart beats fast with every step I manage to take down the small dark hallway, my feet feel heavy walking closer to the scary sounds. 
 
“Please what?” He shouts. “Please what!” He continues raising his voice.
 
I slowly peek behind the wall from where I’m hiding and I see very clearly him pulling on my mom’s hair. She’s sad and she’s crying. 
 
He slaps her across the face. “Why were the cops here?” He chucks her to the ground and kicks her stomach. “Are you trying to get rid of me?”
 
“I didn’t call the cops.” She says in between her tears, trying to catch her breath when he ends the kicking. “I promise, I didn’t do it.” 
 
“ing liar!” He kicks her again...and again...and again.
 
I start to cry because I want to save my mom, I want to help her, and I want him to leave her alone. Maybe he won’t hurt me? He’s never done anything to me except yell when I come home from school if I’m being loud while he’s trying to nap. 
 
He lifts his arm to hit her and every time I hear my mother scream, it makes me angry. Why is he hurting her? I don’t like the sound of her crying, it makes me sad. I have to be brave, I have to protect my mom. 
 
I rush up to him and with everything I have, I push him to demand he leaves my mommy alone. The thing is, he’s taller and stronger than me to barely move him away and when I look up at him, I feel scared again.
 
“Stupid ing kid.” One push from him I’m falling to the ground. “Don’t ever ing touch me!” 
 
“Baekhyun...sweet boy, go to your room.” My mom tries to calm herself to be strong for me but it’s obvious she’s still in pain.
 
I get a better look at her face only to see cuts and blood. My mom is the most beautiful girl in the world and I don’t understand why she’s injured. But, I do know...I know he’s hurting her and he’s the reason she’s like this right now.
 
I stand up. “No.” I’m terrified but the sight of my mom helps me feel brave. “Leave my mom alone!” I shout at him.
 
“You want to stand up to me?” He turns to face me. “You want to be a man?” 
 
He starts unbuckling his belt and everything happens so sudden. He takes me by the arm, shouting at me while mom screams for me to be released from his grip. 
 
I’m no longer aware of what’s going on, other than now he’s pulling on my hair taking me to my room. Once we enter I hear a lock and my mom banging on the door. She’s screaming my name and begging him to open. 
 
“Take it like a ing man then.” 
 
He slams my face against the wall and I feel a strong sting on my back side. Another on my shoulder blade, another on the leg, and another on my arm. I try to pull my face away to try to speak but he makes sure I don’t lift my head by pressing my face harder to stay put. 
 
I cry not being able to move and feeling all the hits get harder and harder. It didn’t matter where on my body that belt touched me, I just wanted it to stop. My dad didn’t care how many times I asked to please stop, he kept going and going. 
 
“I’m teaching you a lesson.” He’s panting and I finally don’t feel another sting on my body. “You and your mother need to know your place.”
 
The cold buckle touches my back and unexpectedly I feel something sharp ripping and going down through my skin. I scream in pain and it feels like he’s never stopping...
 
My eyes jerk wide open and instantly I feel the sweat from my body sticking onto the bedsheets. I sit up and rub my eyes in frustration, having another memory from my past join me in the nighttime. 
 
I check the clock on my wall...great...it’s 5:00 a.m. on a ing Saturday. I look forward to sleeping in on the weekends, so I’m pretty annoyed right now. I know I’m not going to be able to go back to sleep. I look around this big quiet room and it’s not long enough until I decide to go for a run.
 
 
 
While I’m jogging, my mind goes back and forth between then and now. I dealt with this all summer...the dreams...it was going away on its own, I’ve hardly been having them. But, lately it’s been consistent every night, ever since that piece of Yieun triggered a lot of things for me seeing him pull on that Yeji girl.
 
Then, I start to think back to a few days ago when I told her she shouldn’t have helped me that day I got ing trashed. I honestly thought she was going to blow up on me or say something but she didn’t, she didn’t say anything. She just walked away. 
 
At that time, a lot of intense emotions were resurfacing and I was taking it out on her. I lost control of my feelings, hence I turned into an . Plus, I really don’t like it when people I don’t know want to help, especially if I don’t need it. It puts me in a mood.
 
Why am I trying to convince myself for being a to her? Actually, why am I even thinking about her at all? The whole point of my run is to avoid thinking about . I sprint as fast as I can to push my heart rate and focus about breathing while I run. I’m coming up the hill to this cross intersection in the trail and it’s too late for me to slow down when I see her. 
 
I felt how hard we ran into each other, it had to make her fall to the ground. I turn to see I’m right, she’s on her knees catching her breath and recovering from the bump. I walk up to kneel down to give her my hand. When Yeji notices it’s me she quickly backs off from the help I’m offering. 
 
“I’m not following you.” She attempts to stand up and succeeds. “I come to this trail every morning.” She defends herself acting like she’s not in pain.
 
“How bad does it hurt?” I ask a little too concerned. 
 
She even looks at me in a strange way, like if something is wrong with me. “I think I rolled my ankle. It hurts right now but I’ll be fine.”
 
She walks off limping and I’m not sure where she’s going to stop to rest, there isn’t a bench or sidewalk near by. She doesn’t walk far enough, so it’s very easy to catch up to her. I’m even able to step in her way to bend down to take a look. It looks a bit red but not swollen yet. 
 
“I live nearby, we should ice it to reduce it from getting swollen.” I stand up and notice the stink face she has on. “You shouldn’t be walking on it for now at least.”
 
“I said I’m fine. I don’t need your help. My car is...close.” 
 
I don’t know why but I can tell right away she’s lying. I know she’s being stubborn to listen to me. It’s simple, she can just come over and ice it, it doesn’t need to be a big deal. 
 
I’m strong about not touching anyone without their consent but I know she’s just going to keep rejecting my offer. I pick her up in a cradle position and she argues with me of course. It is my fault for running into her so I feel a bit obligated to at least help.  
 
“You can’t walk.” I inform her. “You shouldn’t put pressure on it, so stop being prideful.”
 
Thankfully she complies and slowly yet carefully wraps her arms over my shoulders, locking around my neck. I detect her touch and it’s...warm. I clear my throat as I carry her though the trail, feeling a bit awkward now since I haven’t seen her for days. 
 
She breaks the silence as I feel her staring at me. “Why are you helping me?”
 
I shrug my shoulders. “It’s my fault. I’m not a complete to leave you out here like this.”
 
She lightly chuckles. “So, it’s okay for you to help but if someone does it for you—”
 
“This is different.” I talk over her. 
 
She whispers. “Helping is helping.”
 
We both don’t say anything after and it’s better that way. She doesn’t understand that the times I’ve helped is because she’s defenseless and a male should never lay hands on a female, ever. The difference when she tried to help me is that she didn’t need to, I can take care of myself. I always managed. 
 
 
 
Per usual, help is around this house when never asked. I ignore the staff and dismiss them as I take Yeji to the kitchen. I sit her on top of the large kitchen island while I go up to the freezer to get an ice pack. I also pour a glass of water for both of us. She thanks me once I hand her the beverage, I grab a chair near by and sit to help with the minor sprain. 
 
“Every 15 minutes you should ice it. Are you comfortable here? I can take you to the couch if you want to rest. It would be better, that way you can keep your leg elevated.”
 
“No, I’m fine really.” She speaks softly. “Thank you...not just for this but for everything before.”
 
I look up at her. . That look in her eyes, the warmth it gives when she stares at me like that. I start to notice the way her lose hair strands fall over her face. She really is beautiful, no heavy make up on her, no need for it. I admire her natural beauty and get distracted by her perfect full lips. What the am I doing? 
 
I stand up and have her hold the ice now. “You already thanked me. Let’s move on.”
 
“I don’t think I’ve actually thanked you.” She corrects me.
 
I nod. “You did.”
 
“Not for last time.” She adjusts the ice and hides her eyes from me. 
 
All the feelings I forgot about this morning are ing coming back. I roll my head to stretch off the tension my muscles have. Try to not be a . Don’t be a . 
 
“It’s a true miracle you’re up this early.” I recognize the cheerful tone. My Grandma walks in clueless to the scene around her. “Just on time to have breakfast with your Grandfather and I.”
 
I didn’t think she would be up this early. It’s crazy how she is and already dressed nicely, dedication that woman has. I look over at Yeji and she’s smiling at my grandma, that smile distracts me...it’s ing cute. I quickly snap out of it and fight with myself to stop noticing like that.
 
“Good morning Mrs. Byun.” Her sweet polite voice grabs my over energetic Grandma’s attention. 
 
“Oh, Miss Yeji.” She keeps her smile but it’s obvious she’s confused. “What a surprise...oh goodness, are you alright?” She looks at us back and forth. “What happened?”
 
“We bumped into each other on the running trails. I’m fine though.”
 
Yeji’s very convincing with her smile. It’s a genuine smile on her face, she’s not being fake or trying to act differently in front of her Principal. Although Yeji assures she’s pain free, that doesn’t prevent my Grandma’s instincts to kick in. She gets the staff involved by ordering one to go grab the first-aid kit. This is unnecessary. 
 
“Okay, relax. She’s not bleeding.” I step in and gently move my grandma away from Yeji’s ankle. “She’s icing it. It’s fine.”
 
“Are you sure?” She goes up to Yeji again and I’m not sure if she’s irritating her but it sure is ing annoying me.
 
“Yes. I’m not an idiot. If she was bleeding or injured that dramatically I wouldn’t bring her here.” I cross my arms.
 
They both stare at me. I know my Grandma dislikes it when I talk to her in my tone, especially in front of people so I understand her look. I can’t really tell with Yeji but I’m certain I made her uncomfortable. I just really don’t like things being turned into a big deal. 
 
“Well it doesn’t hurt for one to have precaution.” She brushes off my attitude and gives Yeji a smile. “You’re probably hungry after a run, stay. We’ll set up a plate for you.”
 
I roll my eyes. “Oh my god, why are you acting like this?”
 
“I know how to separate my personal life and career. I have to be a hard at school but I get to be myself outside and definitely in my own home. I’m always going to be a good host.” She humbly brags and I can’t feel embarrassed enough. 
 
Yeji’s voice breaks the bickering between us. “I appreciate your gesture Mrs. Byun but I have to respectfully decline it. My grandparents are actually having this big brunch for just the family before the reception.”
 
“Such a beautiful milestone! Send Moochul and Misuk my congratulations. We look forward to celebrating them this evening.” She smiles but fixes her eyes on me. 
 
“Alright, let’s get you home then.”  I suggest.
 
Yeji agrees and slowly tries to get off the counter top. Seeing that she’s struggling, I step in for her to use me as support, I place her arm over my shoulder and help her down. 
 
When we’re half way to the main door, I’m surprised she hasn’t made fun or brought up the fact that I’m grandson to Principal Dasom. I’m actually glad she didn’t. I know this is where my services end. 
 
“The chauffeur will take you to your car.” I clear my throat. 
 
She nods and from my peripheral vision, I notice she her lips and puckers them to the side. 
 
“I know you hate when I say this, but, I do mean it. Thank you.” Her voice is gentle and to my surprise, pleasant.
 
My face and hers turn at the same time to look at each other. That look. . “I don’t hate it. There’s just no need for it.” 
 
The butler announces the driver is ready and takes over with assisting Yeji to the car. This is the one time I’m content that a staff member is around to do the rest. 
 
“Have a good morning.” What the , why did I say that? Walk away ing idiot. 
 
She turns to smile and repeats the same to me. I stay in my spot until I see her enter the car and it drives off. 
 
 
 
 
| YEJI
 
“Wait, one more time...” Somi’s huge grin is pretty contagious. “Principal Dasom and mystery boy are related?” 
 
I hide my smile behind my bite of food. “But, don’t repeat it. I don’t think he wants that out there.”
 
She nods to agree but I know my cousin very well. I give her my look letting her know I don’t believe her. 
 
“I’m not.” She whines and reaches for her phone but quickly teases me and laughs putting it away. “I swear it.” She crosses her heart and I know I can trust her now. 
 
“There was something different about him.” I decide to share. “He was...I don’t know, he seemed...caring.”
 
The smile on her face isn’t coming off. “You like him.” She chants and pokes my face. 
 
It’s been a few days since I’ve last seen him and I made sure to be head strong, to be anti-Baekhyun, but my thoughts didn’t truly grasp what I’ve been trying to do. Even with convincing myself to forget about him, my mind didn’t want to stop remembering him.
 
“I can’t.” I’m getting carried away by one small gesture. I have to put everything I’ve seen and dealt with him into perspective. “You were there that day, you heard him. Besides, If there’s one thing I know based on the men in my life is that guys who really like you will show it. They’ll make it happen.”
 
She sighs, “You can’t compare our Grandfather or your father to mystery boy. There has to be a reason why he’s the way he is.”
 
I disagree. “Don’t justify it Somi. It’s simple...it’s clear.” I look over at my Grandparents who are side by side and without a doubt very much still in love. I want nothing more than to one day find what they have with someone. It’s safe to say I won’t get that with Baekhyun.
 
 
 
The event was hosted in one of the ballrooms at the Resort. Taking a glance around the venue, we honestly have the best catering and event planners because the set up in here feels like I’m in a fairytale. I personally love how fitting it is for my Grandparents, a true representation of their love. 
 
I raise my eyebrow as I spot Sehun near the bar area. Once I reach him, I don’t waste time to interrogate him. 
 
“What are you doing?” 
 
“Just waiting.” He plays it cool, except I’m not buying it.
 
“Waiting for what?”
 
He puts his hands in his side pockets and truly makes an effort to not crack.
 
“The boys.” 
 
I chuckle catching up to the plan. “No, you are not trying to sneak alcohol, you can’t get drunk around family!”
 
“Alright little man, initiation time.” Jongdae interrupts and of course he would be in on this. He stares at me a bit terrified. “You were supposed to avoid code red.”
 
I cross my arms, “Not going to happen.”
 
My mother’s voice calling for me at a guest’s table grabs my attention. I strongly glare at both of them and I make Sehun promise me to not do it. Before fully walking away, I give Sehun one more look to let him know as his older sister, that’s an order.
 
 
 
 
| BAEKHYUN
 
I’m standing with Xiumin. My grandparents felt the need to arrange to meet with his parents before we entered this venue so I can have a “friend” to socialize with. I haven’t seen him since the day we got drunk.
 
I keep shuffling in my tux, this is a complete different vibe than the school Uniform. I hate it.
 
“Dude, will you stop.” He cracks a smile. 
 
“This is uncomfortable.” I complain. “It’s not my style.” I keep adjusting my shoulders to create a non existing opening or space for my body. 
 
“ sake!” Xiumin hands me his drink. “Chug it. Now!”
 
I don’t hesitate with his offer, once I have that nice whiskey run through my throat, I need more.  
 
“Better?” 
 
I shake my head. “Not even close.”
 
“Once the guys get here, you can have all the liquor you want.” He looks at me. “But, maybe limit yours...you don’t want to look bad around the names here. Trust me. You can be sloppy at the party we’re going tonight.”
 
Although it sounds tempting to get faced and embarras my grandparents at this occasion, I choose to forfeit my plan just for tonight because all I really want to do is drink my problems off. 
 
I notice that Jongdae kid and Sehun making their way towards us. 
 
“Yo! Baekhyun!” Jongdae’s idiotic smile is too much but that’s just how he is I guess. “Still serving lunch detention?”
 
That grabs Xiumin’s attention. “What the !” He laughs. “For what?”
 
“Alright s! I got the keys to the Villa, let’s go!” A kid says enthusiastically. He’s about the height of Sehun, a bit taller. He scans his group and then at me. “Sup man.” He turns standoffish. 
 
“Yeol, this is Baekhyun.” Jongdae introduces me and looks over at Xiumin. “Wait, how’d you two meet?”
 
“We had a date.” Xiumin jokes and the guys laugh understanding right away about a parent set up. “—and you guys, school?”
 
Jongdae nods and like last time feels comfortable enough to put his arm over my shoulder. “This crazy motherer handled Yieun, twice. That’s why he’s been in lunch detention.”
 
That grabs that Yeol kid’s attention. “What do you mean handled Yieun?”
 
Sehun answers him and gives details about Yieun bothering Yeji and how I helped her those both times. He seems to approve and gives an inch of trust to welcome me to this plan. I can’t help but wonder what he is to Yeji...does he like her?
 
“Where the were you?” He flicks his finger on Sehun’s cheek and smiles after. “ing fail.”
 
“Alright, can we start drinking?” Jongdae asks impatiently.
 
“Well, Yeji found out. She made me promise not to do it.” 
 
That Yeol guy places his arm over Sehun. “—And I’m giving you permission to break it. I’m the oldest, it’s valid.”
 
Everyone except me laughs, maybe because I’m distracted with the fact that Yeol said he’s the oldest. I’m a bit relieved that he’s nothing more to Yeji. . I’m starting with this again. They start walking and I follow simply to have quicker access to drinks.
 
 
 
We didn’t come back down until Chanyeol got a text and call from his mom wondering where he is and to hurry up because he has to be present during the speech.
 
I hate to admit it, this group isn’t bad, they kind of do whatever they want but they just do it behind closed doors.  When we’re back at the Party, we hear everyone clapping and I think we missed the speech? Then, I see her...
 
Yeji is walking in the direction we all entered. She looks beautiful in her long dark navy dress that reveals her bare shoulders, her long black hair down with pins to hold her hair half way up. What the ...she’s perfect.
 
“Are you serious?” She whispers and it’s obvious she’s annoyed at her brothers. “I told you to not take him and you—” she looks over at Sehun. “You promised me.”
 
It’s cute to see her trying to be the voice of reason. There’s that girl from school who wouldn’t shut up. I didn’t even realize I’m smirking because when she moves her eyes to me, I’m getting heat now. 
 
“Are you drunk too?” 
 
I laugh, “What’s the big deal? We’re celebrating. No one is going to be able to tell.”
 
Everyone stays quiet and they share their scared or worried looks among each other, or so it seems. It’s like they can’t believe I said something to her, almost like they know better than to talk back to her.
 
“The problem is you three are underage and are not allowed to drink. It’s a formal event...not a night club, plus it’s very bad—”
 
I’m not sure why I didn’t just walk away, ignore her, or even tell her off. I’m in such a good buzz that all I want to do is have a good time, even with the live band starting to play a slow ballad.
 
“Will you dance with me?” I ask with confidence. I walk up to her to place my hand out. 
 
“N-no.” She hesitates but I can hint something else.
 
“You need it, you need to have some fun.” I smile and look at her foot. “How’s your ankle in those heels?”
 
She blushes and shyly looks to the ground. “I’m wearing my low tops.” It’s small but I hear it clearly. 
 
I mimic her tone from earlier. “Are you serious? No dress shoes?” I get her to smile. “I won’t say anything if you dance with me.” She raises her eyebrow at me. “Dance with me.” I made it more of a decision than an option for her.
 
 
 
 
| YEJI
 
I have no idea what’s gotten into him, he’s being way too friendly and the complete opposite from when I met him. As we’re slow dancing, he doesn’t reek of alcohol but I know he’s been drinking. Is the nice side coming out because he’s under the influence?
 
My body feels the vibration from his chuckle. “What?” 
 
“Why are you being nice?” I ask softly. 
 
“Do you want me to be a ?” He makes eye contact with me, his gaze piercing through me. 
 
“Well,” I command confidence within myself. “Aren’t you?”
 
He smirks. “I guess I can be. It’s too complex to explain.” He pauses and adjusts his hand on my waist. 
 
“What’s hard to explain for being mean?” His face softens and I’m not sure what he’s thinking or feeling, it intrigues me. Except, I have this inkling to not ask what’s on his mind. 
 
“I took it out on you.” He admits. “Seeing you today...I...I don’t know.”
 
I feel like there’s more but he got shy to continue, maybe even embarrassed. This doesn’t feel real, this isn’t the same boy I met a few days ago. It’s surreal to witness him get nervous. 
 
“Did you find out I have two brothers? Did they put you up to this?” I question but there’s no hostility in my voice.
 
A loud laugh escapes from him, it’s deep and raspy, even the smile that appears on his face reaches his eyes. 
 
“Can you not overthink right now.” He moves the lose strand of hair away from my face. “Just dance with me.”
 
I’m shocked how comfortable he is with me right now and the gentleness he’s expressing. How can I not overthink what’s happening? Actually, why am I not wondering how he can dance like this?
 
 
 
I’m waiting outside the ballroom by the sidewalk to be picked up, I called for a driver to take me home. The guys kept disappearing during the night. I never liked when Chanyeol did his little pre-games every time there was a family event happening at the Resort. There’s not much I can really do anyway, so I just let it be and decide to rest. 
 
The sound of a group being extremely loud and laughing catches my attention. It’s the boys with Somi. She notices me right away and comes up to where I’m standing.
 
“Are you coming?” She smiles. “There’s a party at Sooyoung’s.” 
 
I shake my head at the same time I notice Baekhyun staring in my direction. When we make eye contact, I immediately look away, staring at the ground to be exact.
 
“I’m just going to call it a night.” I reply, gaining composure and looking back up at Somi. 
 
Somi looks over her shoulder and when she looks back at me, she smirks. She doesn’t convince me to go to the party, instead she’s suspiciously understanding. As soon as I see Baekhyun approaching me, I just know this is Somi’s doing.
 
“Heading home?” He walks up in a cool way with his hand in his side pocket. I get to fully admire him in his tux. I nod. “It’s too early for that, isn’t it?”
 
“I think 11:00 p.m. is pretty late.” 
 
He chuckles and it’s the sweetest sound to my ears “Staying up passed your bedtime, you’re pretty wild!”
 
I try not to laugh. “Don’t tease me.” I explain myself. “I just don’t really drink, so I rarely go to any outside parties.”
 
The car is pulling up and he looks up at the sky. Once the driver comes to open the door for me, Baekhyun speaks.
 
“Can I show you something?”
 
There’s a short pause between us before I carefully agree. I don’t know if this is going to be a bad idea or if what I’m about to do will backfire, all I know is that I want to be around him right now.