The Beginning

Troubled Confession


Chapter Four




| BAEKHYUN

 
My elbow is on the arm chair with my hand curled up in a fist to use as support for my face to lean on while I hear Principal Dasom go on and on about the standards this school must uphold. She’s walking back and forth from the edge of her large desk to the other, as she lectures me about things I’ve already heard...multiple times. 
 
“I can’t believe on the first day of school and already a fight?” I knew it was a rhetorical question. “I thought we had an agreement?” She faces me and puts her hands on the desk, arms apart lined up at shoulder width. 
 
I slouch on the chair and focus out on the window, wanting to be anywhere but here. “I want to go back to my school.”
 
She sighs. “We’ve talked about this. How many times do we have to go through this?”
 
“It’s really simple, you’re just making it complicated.” I sit up. “All you have to do is just sign the school transcript giving me permission to transfer.”
 
“You are staying right here.” She taps her finger on her desk. “I don’t understand Baekhyun. This is your chance to start a new life, a new beginning. There’s nothing for you back there anymore.”
 
“I don’t belong here.” I lean back on the chair. “Once I come of age, I’m moving out.”
 
She gives me that look that actually makes me pity her. “I don’t want you to do that. I don’t want you to leave. I don’t want to see you surrounding yourself with the wrong people.”
 
“My friends aren’t bad people. They make wrong choices but they are the only ones who’ve been there for me through it all.” I suddenly ignore her feelings as the anger inside surfaces. “Where were you?”
 
She disagrees with me right away. “Don’t say that. If your Grandfather and I knew what was happening, we would have saved you two.”
 
I ball my hand into a fist and squeeze as hard as I can. I know it’s not their fault, they didn’t know I even existed until one of the many nights he ed up. 
 
She breaks the silence. “Please let us be here for you. Let us give you the best life so you can reach your true potential.”
 
I manage to snap out of my small feud and reach for her name plaque, staring at the last name. The one we share.
 
“Do you really care to help or is this about your image?”
 
“You’re my grandson.” She gets close enough to place her hand on my shoulder. “I feel like ever since you came to us, this is my second chance to do things right. I don’t want to make the same mistakes with you like I did with your father.”
 
I jerk my shoulder away from her and stand up. That man doesn’t deserve to be ing called that, he never was one. “The only mistake you made was having him. Then you wouldn’t have this burden to take the orphan in.”
 
“That’s enough Baekhyun.” She’s back with her stern voice. “You aren’t a burden, you are part of our family, you are family. No matter what, we’re not going to forsake you. But I will give you a week of lunch detention for punching a student.”
 
I nod accepting the minor punishment. I have my eyes glued on the name plaque and I get an idea. Let’s see how much she can handle before she eats up her words. I toss the hard wooden object aiming for the frame mirror up against her wall. A loud crash of glass shattering startles my Grandmother. 
 
“Am I a burden now?”
 
She walks up to the door to block my exit. “I’m telling you now, if you keep this up I’m going to take drastic measures. You think you don’t have enough space now just wait once I have someone watching over you 24/7. Don’t...test me...Byun Baekhyun.”
 
I try to go around her but her hand is now on the door knob. 
 
She continues. “Right after school you’re going straight to meet your Grandfather. I’ll arrange a driver to come for you.”
 
“I have a car.” I state, wondering why provide the services I don’t want or need.
 
“No, you had a car. That privilege has been taken away due to your actions today.” She opens the door for me. “There will be consequences for your actions, so you better start thinking wisely from now on.”
 
I know deep down I’m not going to win this battle...this time. So, there’s no point to defend the reasons to keep the car because it’s hers, it’s her money, and it’s really not mine to fight over. But, it’s not going to stop me from making sure I get them tired, tired enough to give up and finally let me be on my own. 
 
 
 
 
| YEJI
 
I pace from one locker to another locker with an open book trying to casually wait outside the principal’s office. I feel terrible that he’s in there because of what happened this morning. 
 
The boy who stood up to Yieun is finally making his way out and I adjust my purse to make room for my text book. As I’m putting the book inside my bag, I see him from my peripheral vision walking down the school’s hall. 
 
“Hey!” I shout to the unknown male and he doesn’t notice me or even realize I’m calling out to him. I catch up and attempt one more time. “Hey, how did it go in there?”
 
He gives me a side eye and continues his way. A boy of not many words I’m guessing? 
 
“Did you get into a lot of trouble because maybe I can go in there and clear things up? It wasn’t your fault.” I add. 
 
He walks up to his locker and enters his combination code. While he searches for whatever he needs, I feel awkward speaking to him since he’s not acknowledging anything I say.
 
“I really am sorry.” I speak softly. 
 
That grabs his attention because he steps back from his locker door to look at me. He crosses his arms against his chest and leans against the other lockers.
 
“Why are you apologizing?” He finally speaks. 
 
“Well...I...” I scratch my eyebrow suddenly feeling shy. “I feel awful for getting you in trouble.”
 
His face is serious as he stares at me, it almost feels like he’s judging me in some way. “You didn’t make me punch him.” 
 
I nod. “No, but if I would have sat in class when I arrived instead of being outside, nothing would have happened.”
 
“Don’t apologize. I’m sure he doesn’t feel bad for what he did to you.” He goes back to searching in his locker. 
 
As I remember the hard punch, I realize this isn’t going to be the end for Yieun and he’s going to want to get him back.
 
“He’s not going to let this go.” He shuts his locker and when I make eye contact with this brown hair boy in front of me, I admire his charm and I begin to fluster as a strange feeling deep down inside distracts me. “So, just be careful.”
 
He humphs with a smirk and says, “Whatever he does, I’ve dealt with worse.” 
 
The way that came out of his mouth somewhat scared me in the sense that there was so much promise behind each word. He really meant what he said and I begin to wonder, what are those things he dealt with? Maybe Yieun should be the one to watch out for him. I kind of feel at ease knowing mystery boy will be okay and I may be underestimating. 
 
“I just thought you might want to know at least so you’re not caught off guard whenever he decides to come after you.” I reassure him that I meant no disrespect. 
 
He nods and that’s all I get. I know my business is done here but I didn’t want to leave yet.
 
“Is this your first year?” I start a new conversation. He shakes his head. “But, you’re new to the school right?” His response is a nod as he looks at his schedule. “Oh, I can give you a quick tour and show you your home room.” I smile. 
 
“Look, you apologized already. You don’t need to linger.” He begins to walk away but my feet are like a magnet to his, causing me to walk next to him down the hall. 
 
“I don’t mean to. I just want to give you a proper welcome to Daewon. I’m Yeji by the way.” I smile and there’s no response on his end. “This is the part you say your name.” I chuckle from amusement that he’s so stiff.
 
“You don’t need to know it.” His tone isn’t friendly but it’s not rude either.
 
I shake my head to how mysterious this kid is being and curious to how I’m so drawn to it.
 
I extend an open invitation. “Since you’re new here, I can introduce you to a couple of friends during lunch.”
 
“I have lunch detention.” 
 
I suddenly feel the smile on my face frown when I remember he gotten in trouble, but I’m relieved to find out his punishment isn’t anything more than detention. 
 
“Perhaps tomorrow then?” My content smile returns, hoping he takes my offer. 
 
“You need to stop following me,” He halts to look straight into my eyes. “I’m good.” 
 
My face turns red, ashamed that I’ve been pressing on and not taking his hints. I pucker my lips to the side and nod to assure him I understand. I can’t form any words, I don’t think I can even say anything. So, I turn away and immediately get away from this embarrassing moment. 
 
 
 
 
During lunch my thoughts have been stuck on his face and the sound of his voice. There’s just something in the look of his eyes and how he carries himself. Then, I remember how he called me out and it upsets my stomach. Truly horrifying how he felt I was following him, was I coming off that way? I was just being friendly. 
 
“Hey I heard the idiot bothered you today. I would have handled it, I still can.” Sehun his lips. “Yeol told me to keep my eyes on that head.”
 
I smile at my baby brother and quickly disapprove his motives. “You don’t need to get involved. Plus you’re a first year, you know you have to respect your older classmates. But, thank you.”
 
“You would have gotten your kicked.” Jongdae speaks with his mouth full as he appears at the table with Somi. “It would have been embarrassing for you.” He nearly laughs. 
 
Somi shuts Jongdae’s mouth by his chin in disgust and rolls her eyes. “Don’t worry about it Sehun. Someone came to her rescue.” She smiles widely at me and wiggles her eyebrows as she takes her seat.
 
“What?” Sehun asks stun by the information.   
 
“Did you not hear about it?” Jongdae tries to speak through his food. 
 
“J, if you speak with your mouth full one more time I swear I’m—” She turns over about to smack him but he dodges it. She takes over the conversation. “The new kid, he nearly knocked Yieun out.” She whispers with a huge grin on her face. “Yieun is not happy about that as you can imagine, so the rumor going around is that he’s going to attack that kid after school.”
 
That makes me sit up straight and alert. “Where?” 
 
“They’re going to drag him to the boy’s locker room before soccer practice.” She stares at Jongdae in disappointment.
 
I look at Jongdae and Sehun. “Can you guys help him?” I almost beg and I think I’m the only one that notices the sense of urgency in my tone. At least I hope, I look over at Somi to make sure and she didn’t detect the change in my voice so I knew I was clear. 
 
Jongdae defends himself, “I can’t.”
 
“Well, if you’re smart enough you’re not going to be part of that. Right Jongdae?” Somi demands. 
 
He puts his head down in defeat and looks back up at all of us. “Obviously not. It’s mostly going to be his closest guys. They know my loyalty is to Chanyeol, but if I try to side with this new kid they’re going to make this season for me and I need to score points for the scouts this year.”
 
Somi eyes him. “So our family has been really close friends to the Seo’s, we all grew up together, Yeji is practically family and you’re not going to help the guy who defended her?” She sighs. “When I think you can’t disappoint me even more.”
 
He mocks. “Yeah, same cousin. I can’t believe I’m related to you!” She’s about to smack him but he stands up on time, making her miss. “Look, I can warn him but I’m not going to get involved. That’s all I’m going to do. Is that enough Yeji?” 
 
I think about it for a moment. I remember the words the mysterious boy said about being able to deal with Yieun. Maybe he’s not in danger and he is the danger. As much as I want to be the one to warn him, I have to send Jongdae because I still feel humiliated when he told me to stop following him, when I didn’t meant to. At least not in the way he made it seem. 
 
I nod. “He’s in lunch detention.”
 
Somi smiles, “—And how do you know this?”
 
I shake my head, “No. Don’t start.” 
 
Jongdae rolls his eyes knowing girl talk is about to commence, he stood up taking it as his cue to leave. He takes Sehun to what I assume towards the detention room. When they leave, Somi is trying to get details out of me but I divert the conversation my lovely cousin is trying to create. 
 
 
 
 
| BAEKHYUN
 
I’m released from detention and it wasn’t all that bad, especially when the teacher is ing hot. Some punishment Principal Dasom, I smile how this is going to be easy.
 
I’m walking with my hands in my pockets on my way to my locker. That’s when I see two guys joking around as they come my direction.
 
I overhear one say loudly. “ you! I can take on Yeol now.” 
 
“My ! You were in’ the other day when he came at you.” The other blurts out. That same one notices me and asks. “Hey, are you the one that punched Yieun?”
 
I stood up straight to be prepared. “Yeah.”
 
“Nice. That prick needs it sometimes.” He grins. 
 
The other to speak is a bit taller and has a cold expression, “All the time.” He corrects his friend then looks at me. “Thought I’d let you know as a favor for defending my sister that he and a few others plan to jump you after school.”
 
I shrug my shoulders. “Great. Where?”
 
The shorter one laughs like I said I joke. “No, we’re telling you so you can avoid that.”
 
“Nah,” I shake my head. “They need to know to not with me.”
 
They exchange a look with each other while I quickly look at the tall kid, so his sister huh. I wouldn’t imagine that, they are completely opposite in personalities. This one is less talkative while she won’t shut up. 
 
The short one seems amused but the tall one speaks. “Alright, he sighs, “I’ll go with you.”
 
The short one stares at him now. “Yeji is going to lose her .” He sighs and looks at me. “Look, can you please just not confront him today. I don’t want to get from my cousin.” He pops his eyes out. “You’ll be doing me a huge favor, she’s a piece of work.”
 
“So you two are related?” I raise an eyebrow.
 
“No, Sehun’s parents and mine grew up together. Somi is my cousin from my dad’s side, but she’s cousins with them through her mom’s side.”
 
I laugh at how complicated that sounded, “Okay.”
 
“Okay you’ll wait?” He asks. 
 
Even though that’s not what I mean by it, I just nod in agreement. There will be a time and place to handle my business. This Yieun kid having a vendetta towards me makes it personal now.
 
The one guy who is animated walks up to me and comfortably places his arm over my shoulder. “Thanks man, !” He puts his hand out. “Jongdae.” He smiles introducing himself. I hesitate to shake it, but I end up doing it.
 
They walk the same route as me and luckily my locker came up for me to get away. “Thanks for the look out.” 
 
“Yeah.” Jongdae nods. “I have soccer practice otherwise I’d tell you to cruise to our hangout spot after school. Introduce you to the rest of the boys.”
 
Sehun nods. I know my Grandmother would want me to make new friends but this will go against my plans. I need to make her see I have no reason or good to stay here. 
 
“I’m good.” I reassure. 
 
“Alright. Well listen man, if you need anything let us know.” He does this hand shake with me, the standard one all guys know. The Sehun kid follows the gesture after and they head off. 
 
 
 
 
“Your Grandmother told me what happened at school today. I’m sure she didn’t ask why you did it.” He scoffs.
 
I try not to laugh with him since he’s right, she didn’t ask. I don’t want to give the impression we’re trying to bond here so I just blankly nod.
 
We walk inside this fancy restaurant and get greeted by the hostess. She asks my well known Grandfather if he needs a table but he lets her know he’s going to the bar today, with that information she smiles and politely welcomes us in.
 
I hate these places. I feel like everything is so fragile and it makes me uncomfortable because it seems like if I touch something it can break. Then, there’s too much etiquette to follow. It makes me want to ing puke how this side lives with their stupid ideas and fancy food. 
 
As we walk up to the bar my Grandfather greets a young guy, probably around my age. “Xiumin, my boy. How are you son?” 
 
This Xiumin guy stands up to bow and just like everyone else I’ve come across, he smiles out of politeness. My Grandfather starts his small talk and I fade them out and put my attention at the bar. I see endless hard liquor options displayed and I’m ready to start drinking. 
 
My grandfather places his hand on my shoulder. “This is my Grandson, Baekhyun. Treat him well. Let me know when you two are done so I can send the car over.”
 
“I can drop him off Mr. Byun.” Xiumin suggests. “You’ll be at the other side of the Resort, correct? At the Casino?” 
 
Once my Grandfather agrees, he leaves me alone with someone I would never hang out with. I hate how they arranged this strange meeting. I’d leave and honestly not care but since I’m at a bar, it’s the only reason to make me stay. ! I forgot my wallet in my school jacket, I have my fake ID in there. 
 
We take our seats and I’m ing pissed. I want to be chugging down on a nice clean whiskey after today. Maybe I can get away with it. 
 
Xiumin gets the bartender’s attention and orders his drink. “Macallan, double, and neat.” 
 
“I’ll have the same.” I casually add.
 
“I need to see an ID from you.” The girl is a about it, like she’s proud for catching I’m underage.
 
“Jiwon, do you want to know who he is?” Xiumin nearly whispers. “Did you not see Mr. Jaehyun Byun? Well, that’s his grandson. I’d pour him the glass.” He nods almost like ensuring her to better do it. 
 
She hesitates and while she stares at me, it seems like she’s controlling herself to not give me a dirty look. I have to admit I’m impressed by this guy getting her to actually pour the drink. When she puts both drinks up in front of us, she’s out of sight and I have full satisfaction. 
 
“I ing hate doing that, bragging. But your Grandparents mentioned you were still in high school. Either you don’t or you do have a fake and if you did, it wouldn’t have worked here. They scan it so it would have been detected.”
 
I nod. “I left my wallet and fake in my other jacket.”
 
“Rookie mistake.” He doesn’t need to smile or laugh for me to know he’s half joking and half serious. 
 
“Well, thanks man.” We raise our glasses and drink.
 
 
 
 
When I found out my Grandfather has a vip membership, I use it to keep a tab open, I start ordering drinks like they’re going to run out. After multiple drinks, this guy had some tasteful jokes. He talked about this lifestyle and it made him tolerable and somewhat likable. Not because he talked about what I hate, it was the fact that he wasn’t a ing prick. 
 
I chuckle, “I honestly thought you were going to be this uptight proper face during this...this...what the is this?” I crack up. “What the is wrong with my Grandparents? Who arranges hang outs like this?” I can barely sit straight now.
 
He laughs in return. “. I can’t believe your Grandmother is Principal Dasom.” He suddenly stops laughing like a thought came to mind. “She’s intense.”
 
“!” I smile at the connection I have with her. Then I realize I’m having a decent time and it hits me, she ing got me. Damn. I down my last glass of whiskey because I need to leave. I need to stick to my ing plan to make them not want me here.
 
“I’ll be right back.” I lie. I have no idea where I’m going but I gotta get out of here. 
 
 
 
 
| YEJI 
 
I’m driving down to the Resort, rushing as I’m briefly late to meet my family for an early dinner. I grab my lip balm to touch up, I’m multitasking by keeping my eyes on the road and looking in the mirror to make sure I’m applying it without smearing it all over. I go over a slight pump that makes me lose grip of my make up product. I curse under my breath while I try reaching for it and check if it went under my seat. I look down for a brief second and next thing I know I’m pressing down on my breaks with force.
 
My breathing accelerates as I’m face to face with mystery boy. I take another look and realize he’s having difficulty standing up and he actually smiles at me?
 
I get out of the car. “Oh my god, are you okay?”
 
“You missed.” He laughs. 
 
I can smell the alcohol reeking from his body and I’m not even standing that close to him yet. He starts walking away and he stubbles, trying to get his balance back by using the front of my car. I know I have to do something before security does. 
 
I stand in front of him and he leans into me, he’s so heavy I actually lose my own balance causing us to fall. Our bodies are on the side grass near the sidewalk and my heart beats abnormally fast with Baekhyun being on top of me, his weight on me doesn’t last for long when he manages to slightly support himself on his elbows. 
 
Our eyes make contact and although he’s highly intoxicated, his soft eyes are visible and that charming face of his keeps me locked in. I’m admiring him and allowing whatever it is I feel inside to take over. 
 
He moves a strand of hair away from my face. “You’re like an Angel Yeji.” He whispers. “Are you sent to watch over me?”
 
I can’t help but giggle. “What?” I try looking around at whatever I could while on the ground. 
 
“Baekhyun.” He replies. 
 
Again I ask, “What?”
 
“You asked me earlier what my name was.” He stares at me with concentration. “, you’re beautiful.” He adds softly. 
 
I blush. “How much did you drink?” 
 
“Not enough.” He confesses. 
 
I know he had plenty of drinks but I also know he was referring that no amount of alcohol is enough to make him suppress whatever he’s holding in. It’s strange, I can sense something is hurting him but I’m not sure what it is.
 
“.” He quickly moves his head to the side and my eyes pop wide open to the shock that he’s puking right next to me.
 
 
 
 
I’m washing out my hair in one of the private suites, I should be extremely upset but I’m not, surprisingly. 
 
I step out of the bathroom and see Baekhyun shirtless on the bed resting on his stomach. I walk up to the side he’s lying and stare at his face. 
 
“You can stay here until you get picked up or if you want to sober up.” I hope he’s paying attention. 
 
“Can you stay?” He murmurs. “Please.” 
 
I look at my phone and I have multiple text messages from my Father and brothers. I pucker my lips to the side debating and planning what to do. I can’t lie to my Father but I can’t tell the truth either. 
 
“I have to leave for a while. Where’s your phone? I’ll add my number so you can text me or call me if you need something.”
 
Surprisingly he hears what I’m asking and lazily points to his side pocket, that’s all he does. I wait for him to reach for it or hand it to me but nothing happens. I softly chuckle. I’m not going to put my hands in there. 
 
“Do you know your number?” I sure hope so. 
 
He nods and starts with numbers and once he gives me six different area codes and one that’s not even existent, I knew I’m not going to get a number. I give up and just let him know the room phone is across...the room...yikes, I can already see that being a problem.
 
He whispers. “Just stay.”
 
My phone rings and I knew I had to answer. “Hi daddy.” I almost say too excitedly and I shut my eyes for acting abnormal. “I’m checked into one of the private suites, I just had to freshen up. I’ll be down there soon.”
 
It wasn’t a lie but it wasn’t all the information. I feel sick, I don’t like hiding anything from my parents. He lets me know they’re going to just order for me and I agree. I apologize and he lets me off the hook. Once I hang up, I check on Baekhyun and try once more to get him to pull out his phone so I can call mine to grab his number. 
 
I slightly my lips. “Okay, I really have to go. Try reaching for your phone please.”
 
I’m relieved when he attempts to pull out his phone but slightly struggles. Once I have his iPhone, I see a lot of text messages. Mostly girls...a lot of girls. Then there’s one multiple from the same girl, Sena. I don’t know why but I instantly feel insecure. 
 
I decide to not even bother with exchanging numbers. I remember the guy from school and how cold he was. The one I’m staring at now is drunk and didn’t mean anything he said, doesn’t mean anything by telling me to stay. He probably thinks I’m one of his many selections and doesn’t even realize it’s me that’s helping him. 
 
I place his phone on the nightstand. He’s going to be fine and I don’t think he’ll head off anywhere. It seems like he’ll be ready to sleep soon. As I stare at him and watch his peaceful breathing, I’m almost saddened. I actually believed what happened was real. 
 
I manage to move my feet toward the doors. I turn back around to take one more look at Baekhyun and even though I’m fully aware that he’s possibly a player, I still have that strange feeling inside me. Suddenly, a thought emerges...he is dangerous.
 
 
 
 
Dinner with my family is the usual, my Father is discussing what his schedule looks like this week and tries his best to see if we can have a family day. Then my Mother asks Chanyeol how he’s doing so far since he started working under my Father. 
 
As they are having their conversation, my mind wonders off  to Baekhyun. I admire his features and replay the sound of his voice. The way he complimented me earlier, even though he was intoxicated, made me feel giddy in the way he said it but I instantly snap out of it when I remember all those names on his phone screen. I know I have no right to care or be jealous, but I am. 
 
I’m sure he prefers the bad girls, the ones who reveal a lot of skin, and that alone makes the thought of his flattering remark from earlier be removed from my memory. I’m silly for even having some kind of attraction to someone I completely don’t know, it’s quite frustrating actually. 
 
“What about you my sweet Yeji?” My Father clears his throat. “How was your day today?” 
 
I nod. “Um, interesting.” 
 
He nods in return. “I’d have an interesting day too if I hid a boy in one of the Private suites.”
 
I freeze, I know my face made it obvious but I try to play it off. “What are you talking about daddy?”
 
“I have eyes and ears all over the Resort. You know, I except the nonsense and questionable actions from your brothers...” on que Chanyeol and Sehun defend themselves but quiet down when my Father begins to speak, “But, I never thought I’d have this problem with you my sweet girl.” He stares at my mother and he smiles at me. “So, we believe it’s time to have this discussion. When two people are in love and they decide—”
 
All three of us panic and we speak over the conversation that is about to happen. I didn’t think it’d be possible to be humiliated twice in a day, but oh it’s very possible.
 
“No daddy, I’m not...I haven’t.” I refuse to feed on this topic. Especially in front of my brothers so I explain. “He goes to my school and he...well he had too much to drink so to avoid any problems with security, I checked him into one of the rooms.” I feel myself turning red. 
 
I carefully look for any signs on my Father’s face that will detect any disappointment, but he nods with a smirk on his face almost seeming understanding. 
 
“Always so kind and caring, just like your mother.” He leans in and kisses her cheek. 
 
I sigh in relief and I relax as I know I’m not in trouble. 
 
“Make sure he gets home safely.” My father demands and we’re excused from the table. 
 
 
 
 
I’m outside the double doors to the Private suite. I take a deep breath and tell myself to not feel anything, I just need to make sure Baekhyun gets downstairs for the diver to take him home safely.
 
When I have the courage to walk in and enter the bedroom, I notice immediately it is empty. The bathroom doors are wide open and every where else inside this suite there’s no sign of him. There’s nothing much I can do from this point. I just hope he’s okay. 
 
When I reach downstairs to the main lobby, I notice a few girls from my school giggling together, it’s pretty clear they were whispering about me because once I make eye contact with them, they stay silent. One of them raises her one eyebrow, almost like letting me know she’s judging me about something. 
 
“Hey, Yeol is staying to get drunk with Xiumin. Are you leaving?” Sehun comes to my rescue and I get out of here.
 
 
 
 
The next day I decide to walk in the direction to Baekhyun’s locker. I know I shouldn’t go searching for him but if I see him today, I’d know he got home and nothing bad happened. But, if he was that drunk on a school night there is a possibility he’d skipped school. To my luck, he just approached his assigned locker. 
 
I know I can walk away now seeing that he’s here but my feet think for itself because I’m suddenly making my way up to Baekhyun. 
 
“Hey,” No confidence in my voice. “How are you feeling?”
 
He gives me his side eye and to my surprise, he doesn’t ignore my question. “What?” 
 
“From yesterday...” I swallow feeling a bit nervous. “All the drinking and throwing up.”
 
He appears annoyed and confused. “I saw you yesterday?”
 
I nod with a quiet response. “You don’t remember?”
 
“I ing out.” He shuts his locker and his expression hasn’t changed. “Why were you there? Look, this following me around is getting weird—”
 
Once those words roll out of this tongue I interrupt him to defend myself.
 
“You are so full of yourself! I was helping you to avoid you from getting into any trouble. I don’t even know why I bothered doing it! You are such a jerk!” I turn away but face him to add more. “To be clear, my father owns the Resort you were at so I wasn’t following you. Know the difference when someone is actually trying to be helpful, not all girls want to get into your pants!” I say loudly. 
 
That last part slips from my mouth, I look around and see some students paying attention. That type of awareness around me is the reason my anger tones down, but I keep a brave face to make my point. I walk away proud that I gave Baekhyun a piece of my mind. 
 
The nerve he has, honestly! I don’t know what I expected or why I thought it’d be a good idea to check up on him? I really am an idiot. I get far enough in my steps until I bump into someone. When I look who’s in front of me, I see Yieun blocking my way. 
 
“Not now Yieun.” I try going to the side but he just stands in my way. I look up at him and firmly repeat myself. 
 
He smirks, “What’s wrong Yeji? Did someone upset you?” 
 
“Move.” I demand with the little anger I have burning inside me.  
 
His smirk vanishes. “You know what I find really ing funny. It’s how you broke up with me because you didn’t want to have .” He laughs and speaks loudly. “But, you’re willing to give it up to someone you barely know? I didn’t know you had it in you to be a ing .” He steps closer and pretends to whisper. “Since you put out, are you ready for me now dirty ?”
 
I slap him as hard as I can for spitting out the most ugly lies about me. Where did he come off by saying such false accusations? 
 
Yieun grabs me by my shoulders and slams me against the lockers. He yells at me to never touch him like that again and right when I’m about to defend myself, I see him being pulled from his blazer. 
 
Baekhyun throws him to the ground and raises his voice. “You’re going to stay away from now on and you’re never going to touch her again. Is that ing clear?”
 
“I’ve been waiting for this!” Yieun stands up and immediately goes after Baekhyun. 
 
Except Baekhyun is quicker and pins Yieun up against the lockers, grabbing him by the lapel. “Did you ing hear me?” 
 
“Keep the .” Yieun laughs in his face.
 
I notice Baekhyun getting ready to punch Yieun, but I don’t want him to have anymore problems. I run up and get a hold of Baekhyun’s arm to stop him from doing something that will cause problems.
 
“Please don’t.” I almost beg and by a miracle, he lowers his arm, safe for me to let go of him. 
 
He speaks to Yieun. “You have a lot more to lose than I do. Don’t with me because I ing guarantee you’ll regret it. This isn’t a ing warning.” He slams Yieun strongly against the lockers. “I don’t care who you are. You have no idea who the I am.”
 
For the first time I see genuine fear in Yieun’s face and I witness a side of Baekhyun I never imagined. I’m in shock to how dark he got within seconds. 
 
He aggressively pushes Yieun one more time before letting him go. When Yieun is set free, he carefully walks away from the boy who just threatened him. Everyone starts to disintegrate from the scene and that’s when I see the group of girls who were at the Resort last night leaving.  
 
I feel Somi rush to my side. “Are you okay?” She takes me by the arm as I nod to reassure her. “Come on, let’s go.” 
 
My entire body hesitates to follow my cousin because instead I’m gravitating towards Baekhyun. I’m frozen in place as he and I make eye contact. I’m not sure if I should still be mad or go up to him. 
 
I stay where I’m at and find my words. “You didn’t have to help me.”
 
He nods and stands a few feet apart from me “—you didn’t have to either.” 
 
“Well, I couldn’t stop you from punching him last time. I wasn’t going to let you get in trouble again.”
 
“I’m not talking about that.” He gets a little closer. “I was able to remember something.” He pauses. “You shouldn’t have helped me.”