Fourteen

The Best Man
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

 

 

The social workers, Park Hyomin and Kim Hyungsin, are very close to Kibum. But apparently the fact doesn’t please Yunho. From his expression all evening, I can tell that the man is edgy as if he couldn’t wait to kick them out of his house away from Kibum. It shows how much he loves the boy. Well, I can’t blame him. Yunho is the one who had raised the boy since Kibum was a baby.

 

Ever so politely, the whole evening is used by them to inquiry my role in Kibum’s life. They basically know about everything so I answer them truthfully. My eyes occasionally steal glance in Kibum’s direction, making sure he doesn’t listening to our conversation. I also sacrifice my self to hold Yunho’s hand. Either because I need reassurance from him or it works the other way, I don’t particularly care. Just like Yunho, I don’t like these guys because they are a potent treat that anytime will take Kibum away from us.

 

Unless we do something about it, which means a marriage.

 

Shoving the thought away from my mind, I focus on my task as a perfect host. I don’t want to give these guys a benefit because of my incompetence. It is way easier than I thought. Kibum clings to me all the time as if he doesn’t mind being glued to my legs. He is the very picture of sweet boy whose love is undying for his parents. When he is sitting in Yunho’s lap, he will hold my hand. If I could be honest, we look like big stars playing on their last masterpiece opera.

 

At first, I worry over Kibum’s behavior. It feels like he understands how important the meeting is for his future. And it tears my heart open that the boy convinces himself to play role as a sweet kid. For me, he could go wild tonight and I would still love him. Even it would make me relieve that the boy has a way to release his stress.

 

“Sweetheart, it is way over your bed time.” I pick up the sleepy–eyed Kibum and perch him on my waist. I no longer sure I can maintain my hospitality because I don’t know how long they will insist on staying.

 

“I’m sorry but Kibum likes to have me read a story before he sleeps.” I walk over to Yunho’s side. I lean down planning to kiss him on the cheek. But, sneaky he is, Yunho turns his face so that it is his lips that I kiss.

 

As I hear coughs from across the chairs, I pull away, proud that my smile never falters from my face. “I’ll be upstairs if you need anything. Baby, kiss daddy a good night.”

 

Even in his zombie like sleepiness, Kibum leans down and peck his daddy’s cheek. “Good night daddy.”

 

“Good night kiddo.”  

 

As I heading upstairs, I wonder what will happen to me and Yunho when we are finally alone.

 

In about thirty minutes, I hear Yunho’s footsteps in the hallway. Kibum is fast asleep in his favorite red pajamas. I, on the other side, sit comfortably on the chair beside his bed. My hand is busy Kibum’s downy hair.

 

“Damn government leeches.” I hear Yunho mutters under his breath. “It took me forever to kick their asses out without being rude.”

 

“Mind your language.” I chastise. “And turn down your voice. We don’t want to disturb his sleep.”

 

Now that Yunho is here, I think we had sort of understanding back then. And it’s about one thing, Jung Kibum. We would do anything to ensure his happiness and welfare.

 

“So, how was it? They didn’t change their mind?”

 

“Even if they change their mind, there are still the grandparents.” Appear burdened. Yunho slumps in defeat into chair at the corner of the room. And my heart feels like it just ripped out of my chest.

 

I study him, swallowed in the dim light corner as if the burdens of the world are rested upon his shoulders. Even the strongest man needs a break.

 

“So what should we do?”

 

Yunho looks up. “Believe you shouldn’t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter