One

The Best Man
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

CHAPTER ONE

 

 

Best friend is supposed to be helping, always ready to console when one is having a problem, and cheer to lighten up the mood. It doesn’t happen that way with mine. Looking at her now, sprawling at my bed with crackers in her hand, munches noisily and leaving crumbs in my new sheet. I can’t help but to slap her pretty hard.

 

“See, I know you envy with my .”

 

I know that Tiffany won’t help at all. I’ve been stressed since the morning after my sister called. Why it should be like this?

 

“Do you still love him?”

 

I glare at her from the stool on my dressing table. “Of course not. It’s not what I’m worry about.”

 

Her brows rise. I’m busted. I can’t lie to her. Crap! I can’t lie to anyone. I always wonder does my face look like an open door. Why do people can tell when I’m lying or not?

 

She sighs loudly. “You called me at seven in the morning, demanding me to come here as soon as possible, and then you won’t tell me why you are fretting. What should I do Yuri?”

 

She is right. Well, Tiffany is always right. “I don’t know. I’m just . . . I’m not ready to meet him.”

 

“Then don’t.”

 

My teeth clench. “He bought the building across the Kindergarten, just to remind you.”

 

“Oh crap!”

 

I swear I know it won’t do me any good to talk to this called best friend of mine namely Tiffany Hwang. But what choice do I have? Talking to my sister when her pregnancy hit the last trimester? Mom will have a fit. Coming to my brother means commit suicide. He is the one that knows how much Yunho’s leaving destroyed me.

 

Oh ! Once that name pops in my brain, I can’t stop from thinking about him again. How easily he comes into my mind as if he is having a permanent resident there.

 

“What will you do then?”

 

I groan loudly. “You really make my day Tiff. I ask you to come so maybe you can give a piece of advice. It’s a waste of time.”

 

“Hey don’t blame me!” She straightens into a sitting position. “I don’t know it will be this complicated.” She then falls into a deep thinking. “What if he is married and moving here with his new family? Do you think you can endure that?”

 

Just the thought of him in someone’s arms make my stomach churn. I see red and hot rage spreading in my veins.

 

Tiffany scowls at me. “Look at you,” She mocks. “all red from head to toes. Stop it. I know you still love him.”

 

“It’s humiliating. I can’t face him after what my brother told him.”

 

“And what exactly your brother told him?”

 

I shake my head. Tiffany walks toward me, grabs my hand and leads me to the bed. We lay on our back, staring at the multicolor ceiling we’ve painted together when I decided to give some of female touch in this house. Feeling the presence of my best friend besides me is soothing my jumping nerves. Tiff will always be here when I need her no matter how ridiculous she is sometime.

 

Her hand reaches mine and squeezes gently. “I won’t let him hurt you again.”

 

 

**********************************************

 

 

Monday morning, I get ready for my first day teaching. I love kids. I’ve babysat before so I’m not that incompetent to handle children. My biggest fear is to meet Yunho again. It’s inevitable since this is a small town. Six years I have tried to forget him, the wall crumbled the moment my sister told me. I know she only wanted to prepare me, but still. Mom called me last night. She gave me third degree lecture which I almost fell asleep as I listened half of it.

 

I hope the ground will swallow me. ! Probably the whole town has already known I have feeling for the man.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter