Six (Jongin POV)

Because we're family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

So how old are the boys this chapter? The same age as last time:

Minseok: 8
Joonmyun and Jongdae: 6
Baekhyun: 4
Chanyeol: almost 3
Sehun: 19 months

~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~

They’d had their baby girl home for a week and she was an angel. She liked to sleep, she rarely cried and when she did she was easily pacified. And the boys, the boys loved her. Even Sehun adored her, and they’d been sure he’d be the one to get incredibly jealous. He was only a year and a half old and used to having nearly all of Kyungsoo’s attention, they hadn’t thought he’d want to share that. But he seemed fine with it. He’d spend ages watching his little sister, clearly fascinated and on the rare occasion she did start to cry he’d find a toy of his, usually some kind of dinosaur since those were his favourite and try to give it to her to get her to stop. It was adorable.

The rest of the boys had reacted well to having her home too or at least most of them had. There’d been a marked difference in Chanyeol for one. It seemed he’d done some thinking and decided that since he now had a baby sister and a baby brother he was a big boy now. How could he not be? Which meant, amongst other things that he was trying harder to get himself dressed in the mornings. It didn’t always speed things up since he inevitably ended up with most of his clothes on inside out or back to front but it was nice to see all the same and Minseok was always there to help so it didn’t take long to fix. In fact Minseok had taken it upon himself to help all of his brothers when they needed it, it was like he’d stepped in as some kind of substitute mother to them, wiping noses and giving hugs and averting tantrums when Kyungsoo’s attention was elsewhere. And Joonmyun was being almost as helpful, he was permanently glued to Kyungsoo’s side, there to pass him the things he needed, bibs, blankets, wipes. Jongdae wasn’t quite so helpful, probably because he was still a little wary of the fact that there was a girl in the house now when there never had been before but he wasn’t taking it upon himself to cause trouble so Jongin supposed that was fine. He’d get used to her being around eventually.

Which left Baekhyun. Baekhyun had been wary at first too, girls were weird he’d informed them. They didn’t like playing lions or dinosaurs or monsters, or at least the girls at his nursery didn’t. Jongin thought that they might be more likely to join in if playing lions or dinosaurs or monsters didn’t mostly consist of Baekhyun roaring in their faces.  But Jongin had thought he’d get over it fairly quickly. Baekhyun was never one to dwell on things for too long and a baby was a baby, girl or not and having a baby in the house was hardly a new thing.

And when he’d stopped saying she was weird Jongin had thought that was it, he was over it and all was back to normal. But then he’d noticed that Baekhyun hadn’t just stopped calling her weird, he’d stopped talking about her entirely. In fact he seemed to be completely ignoring her existence. It was a little worrying. Kyungsoo thought so too but neither of them knew what to do about it. Kyungsoo had tried talking to him  but each time he had Baekhyun had changed the subject and then found something else to do. Fed up of getting nowhere Kyungsoo had told Jongin that it was his turn next. Maybe Baekhyun would open up easier if it was his father asking and not his mother.

Jongin thought that was a longshot. Baekhyun was a stubborn kid, if he didn’t want to talk about it then it wouldn’t matter who was asking, it was going to be difficult to get anything out of him at all, but if Kyungsoo wanted him to try then he would. And now was the perfect opportunity for him to do so. He’d just picked Chanyeol and Baekhyun up from their nursery school and they were on their way home. As luck would have it Chanyeol had fallen asleep two minutes after Jongin had started the car up and five minutes after that they’d hit rush hour traffic meaning it was going to take them a while to get back to the house. There was nowhere for Baekhyun to escape to and no one to interrupt their conversation. If he didn’t manage to get an answer out of Baekhyun now then he never would.

“Baekhyun, do you like having a little sister?” he asked, deciding not to beat around the bush. When talking to a four year old direct and to the point was always the way to go.

“Jungshin’s getting two little sisters soon. His mummy’s having twins.” Baekhyun told him, doing exactly what Jongin had thought he would do and avoiding the question.

“That’s nice.” Jongin told him. “But I didn’t ask about Jungshin, I asked about you and your sister.”

“Jungshin’s awesome though.” Baekhyun continued, undeterred. “Me and him and Seunghyun and Jaehwan we all played pirates and Seunghyun was the bad pirate and he threw me and Jaehwan into the water but Jungshin was the captain and he jumped in and saved us and then we all went after Seunghyun and…

“That’s great.” Jongin said, butting in before his son passed out from lack of oxygen, “But I asked you a question. Do you like your sister?”

Again Baekhyun failed to answer. This time though he at least stuck to the su

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter