Two (Jongin POV)

Because we're family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I just think it’s a little too much to ask.” Kyungsoo was saying. He was standing by the dresser in the room Chanyeol shared with Sehun and Baekhyun, Jongin watching from the doorway as he neatly folded Chanyeol’s favourite dinosaur pyjamas so he could put them in his overnight bag. Why he was being so meticulous about it Jongin didn’t know, within ten minutes of putting them on Chanyeol was going to have them covered in chocolate or paint or toothpaste and if none of those things were available then he’d no doubt find something else to cover himself in. Going from spotlessly clean to ludicrously grubby before you could blink was a special talent of his. Making things look as neat and tidy as possible was very much Kyungsoo’s thing though and with six kids in the house it wasn’t something he got to do very often so Jongin decided to leave him to it. “I know they offered but I feel like we’re taking liberties.” Kyungsoo added when Jongin didn’t reply quickly enough.

“That’s the thing though, they offered. And they wouldn’t have offered if they didn’t feel comfortable taking them.” Jongin said. Well Yixing had offered and then it had taken him a whole week after that to convince Kris that it was a good idea but Kyungsoo didn’t need to know that, he had enough reservations as it was.

“But I don’t think they know what they’re letting themselves in for.” Kyungsoo continued, placing Chanyeol’s pyjamas in his bag. Then he opened the top drawer of the dresser and took out a pair of Baekhyun’s, blue and striped with an orange lion printed on the shirt.

“I’m sure they do. I mean it’s not like they’ve never met our kids before.” Jongin pointed out, trying to put his mind at rest. They’d known Yixing and Kris for years, Jongin worked in the same hospital as Yixing, Jongin as a physiotherapist and Yixing as an occupational therapist which meant they often shared the same patients so that’s where they’d met. They hadn’t gotten really close though until Yixing had gotten pregnant with his first child, he’d found out about a month after Jongin had told him Kyungsoo was expecting and although his pregnancy had been planned and Kyungsoo’s hadn’t Yixing had been the more obviously anxious of the two. So wanting to help Jongin had introduced his friend to his boyfriend in the hope that having someone to talk to who knew what he was going through would help him feel a little less nervous. It had helped and Yixing and his partner Kris had been like family ever since, something definitely helped along by the fact that Minseok and their son Luhan had quickly become inseparable. So yes, Kris and Yixing knew the boys pretty well so Jongin was sure they were going to be fine. Well maybe not fine, but he was sure they were going to survive and after nearly a month of there being no school or pre-school to pack their eldest kids off to and therefore having all of the boys at home twenty-four seven that was good enough for him. “And anyway,” he added when Kyungsoo still didn’t look convinced. “It’s not as if we’re sending all six of them over. We’re keeping Sehun.” Yixing had said they’d be happy to take him too but Jongin had known that trying to persuade Kyungsoo to part with their youngest for longer than an hour or two would be nigh on impossible so he hadn’t even tried.

Unsurprisingly Kyungsoo remained sceptical. “But they’re making the jump from having two kids in their house to having seven. And without us there as back-up, well they’re not going to know what’s hit them.”

“It’s just for one night.” Jongin reminded him. “And you need a break, don’t try and tell me that you don’t. I need a break and I’ve only been off work for a week. Having the kids all the time, it’s draining. And if it’s tiring me out then you must be dead on your feet.” At almost seven months pregnant now Kyungsoo was quite frankly starting to look huge, not that Jongin was about to say so out loud, he’d had enough experience with a pregnant Kyungsoo to know that wasn’t a good idea. Just because he wasn’t about to say it though didn’t make it any less true, there wasn’t much to Kyungsoo, he wasn’t exactly tall and he wasn’t particularly broad so it wasn’t surprising his bump was slowly starting to dwarf him and while Jongin found the fact he could no longer bend down and tie his own shoelaces anymore ridiculously adorable there was no way that wasn’t tiring him out. He was obviously a stronger person than Jongin was because if he was in his place, seven months pregnant with six other kids to look after, he was pretty sure he’d have given up completely by now and be refusing to move from his bed.

“I’m okay.” Kyungsoo told him and he turned grab Baekhyun’s half-packed bag from the other end of the dresser. As he did though he winced, pressing a hand to the top of his abdomen. “I mean I’d be better if the baby would stop trying to wedge a foot behind my ribs every time I move. And I wouldn’t mind it if he decided to be a little less nocturnal, it’s hard getting to sleep at night when he’s doing acrobatics, but there’s not much I can do about it. And it could be worse, it could be twins so really I should count myself lucky.”

Thank god it wasn’t twins Jongin thought, walking forward and wrapping an arm around his partner, covering the hand Kyungsoo still had resting on his stomach with his own. Seven kids was more than enough.

And Kyungsoo relaxed, leaning back against his chest with a sigh. “Okay, so maybe a quiet night in wouldn’t be so bad.” He conceded. “And not being woken up before the sun’s even up by a screaming Baekhyun and Chanyeol, well I’m kind of looking forward to that.”

When Baekhyun and Chanyeol weren’t attached at the hip and wreaking havoc together then they were trying to kill each other so it was very rare not to hear some kind of commotion from their room in the mornings. Jongin had thought about separating them, putting one of them in with Minseok and Jongdae so their oldest brother could keep an eye on them and moving the relatively calm Joonmyun into their room but knowing their kids it wouldn’t help. The first time Joonmyun had a nightmare he would just end up back in with Jongdae anyway and there was no way Chanyeol and Baekhyun wouldn’t work out a way to cause mayhem together somehow so it would be a pointless exercise. What had happened that morning had had him reconsidering though and he said so to Kyungsoo.

“Seriously, the amount of noise Chanyeol was making you’d have thought someone was trying to murder him.” Kyungsoo said with a sigh.

“He can be a little overdramatic.” He agreed. Baekhyun had taken one of the hundred soft toys that lived at the end of Chanyeol's bed and thrown it on top of the wardrobe, why Chanyeol had had to make so much noise about something so trivial Jongin didn’t know but he had. And Baekhyun had done some yelling of his own when Jongin had gone through to see what all the fuss was about, he’d been adamant that Chanyeol had had it coming and had let his father know in an unnecessarily loud voice. Since in all fairness Chanyeol did have a habit of winding his older brother up Jongin supposed that might have been true. On the other hand though Baekhyun thrived on getting his siblings into trouble so it was equally as likely that it wasn’t. At the time though he hadn’t really cared whose fault it was, all he’d cared about was the fact he’d been woken up at five in the morning by a screaming Chanyeol and that that screaming had then woken Sehun who had joined in the screaming, not stopping until Jongin had given in and brought him through to his mother. Kyungsoo hadn’t been very happy about it, with his rapidly growing belly to contend with there wasn’t a lot of room in their bed to begin with and Sehun had a habit of spreading his limbs out like a starfish when he slept so things had been a little cramped, making getting back to sleep themselves that much more difficult.

“Yeah just a…” Kyungsoo started to say but he was rudely interrupted by the thump of something or someone hitting the floor sounding from downstairs. The thump was almost immediately followed by the sound of a child wailing and Kyungsoo groaned. “Five minutes, you’ve been up here five minutes.”

“Five minutes too long apparently.” Jongin sighed and he reluctantly let go of Kyungsoo and headed downstairs to see who’d hit who.

 

~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

 

Chanyeol had hit Jongdae. It had been an accident, they’d been colouring at the dining table and had both gone for the same pen. In the ensuing tussle Chanyeol’s elbow had connected with Jongdae’s face and he’d ended up falling from his chair and hitting the floor. The wailing however hadn’t come from Jongdae, it had come from a shocked and surprised Chanyeol which Jongin could only take as a bad sign. As well as crying over what had happened to Jongdae there’d been the soft toy incident that morning, and then he’d almost burst into tears due to sheer frustration at lunchtime too when he couldn’t get the last of his peas onto his spoon. He wasn’t usually so sensitive so it was possible he was coming down with something, a cold or an ear infection maybe, he was pretty susceptible to those. Or maybe he was just tired Jongin tried to convince himself, he had woken up before five after all. Yes, that was it, he was tired and that was making him grumpy. There was no need to worry. He was perfectly fine and he was going to have a great time at Kris and Yixing’s.

And he was sure Jongdae would too, despite the quite nasty bruise he was sporting. Jongin caught sight of it out of the corner of his eye and winced in sympathy. There hadn’t been a mark at first but Chanyeol’s elbow had obviously hit him harder than they’d thought because there was definitely the beginnings of a black eye forming.

“Maybe we should just go home.” Kyungsoo said. They were standing outside Kris

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter