Final

Happy Valentine's Day

 "I think you need to go out today, Baekhyun." Luhan grumbles as he eats his breakfast sandwich. "It's Valentine's day. You've been lurking here for a month. Get a life." 

 

Baekhyun shakes his head, not bothering to lift it up from being slumped down on the messy table. Actually, he hates being reprimanded by Luhan like this but he'll let it slide today since it's Valentine's day and he knows his best friend is just worried about him. Luhan wishes him well. Baekhyun knows this in his heart. But finding someone is not an option. At least, not yet. And he's most certainly not waiting for Chanyeol either. 

 

 

 

No. No. No. 

 

 

 

"I don't want you to feel like I'm pushing you out of the house but... Baekhyun, it's been a month. Just-"

 

 

 

"Luhan, please. Don't get yourself too worked up with me. I'm over Chanyeol now." Baekhyun interrupts him and says rather bluntly but not lifting his head up because Luhan might see the tears stinging his eyes. 

 

 

 

"Okay. Fine. If you say so. I'm going out. Sehun's waiting and I might not come home later, okay? You'll be fine? You sure you’re not going to kill yourself?" Luhan asks Baekhyun as he gets out of his chair. After tossing a piece of tissue paper on Baekhyun's face, he grabs his backpack before muttering. "Over Chanyeol, my . See? you’re already crying."

 

 

 

"I'm not crying!" This time, Baekhyun's back straightens up almost instantly.  

 

 

 

"Yeah. Tell yourself that." His friend calls out from the front door. "I'll see you tomorrow."

 

 

 

Baekhyun looks around the room, eyes still blurry from his sudden tears. No matter how much he hated to admit it, he really misses the giant's presence around the apartment. Well, who wouldn’t when he got so used to waking up to sloppy wet kisses, whispers of forever,  warm hugs that’ll make a criminal on a death row safe, and lullabies that’ll surely melt millions of hearts.

A month ago, Chanyeol and he broke up. The reason? Baekhyun couldn't even quite remember now but he knows it was really shallow. Maybe something like who should cook for tomorrow, or who should wash the dishes, Baekhyun doesn't really remember but he knew it was low. They both have pride issues, too, so when Chanyeol walked out the door, Baekhyun didn't bother to go after him.

 

 

 

He realizes now that not going after Chanyeol is one of the most stupid things he's ever done. After a week has passed, he wanted to lower down his ego but he was too shy to let Chanyeol see his face so he shoved it all to the back of his mind, thinking that he'll be able to move on with his life, even without Chanyeol.

 

As the days go by, he realizes he won't, though. Tears are threatening to fall out of his eyes again and he tries to blink it away but his efforts are futile. The room smells of Chanyeol's musk and everything around the small apartment reminds him of his favorite giant in the world. Baekhyun is confused with whatever it is that he wants but he knows for sure it involves the younger male. He wants to see Chanyeol but he also doesn't want to. He wants to hug Chanyeol but his brain says no. He wants to kiss Chanyeol's lips again but his brain also says no. What should he do with himself?

 

Baekhyun walks around the house and tries to clean things up so that his mind doesn't wander far. He turns the stereo on.

 

 

 

"Everyone, it's Valentine's Day again and hearts all over the world are falling in love! I hope you find happiness today and meet the person you've always wanted to see. Don't drown yourself in heartaches, my friend. Instead, pick yourself up and show yourself to the world. You never know, this might be the day cupid chooses to shoot his little love arrows at you. Have fun! For the meantime, let's listen to a wonderful love song by the Carpenter's called, ‘You’." 

 

 

 

Baekhyun wants to claw his eyes out as he listens to the DJ's words because it's like she's talking to him personally. Then, that song! That was the song Chanyeol played for him when he confessed. What the hell. Angrily, he pushes the "off" button of the stereo and turns on the TV instead. Maybe the world is conspiring against him because when the television starts talking, Baekhyun realizes that it's their favorite TV show! The sound of the hosts obnoxious voice and haughty laughter fills the place.

 

 

 

Suddenly he remembers how Chanyeol's laughter sounds inside the house and how warm it made him feel once. He misses Chanyeol. Pouting his lips, he turns the TV off and slumps in the sofa.

 

Oh what Baekhyun would give to have Chanyeol cuddling against him in this sofa again. Why does everything have to remind him of that dumb giant? Is it because of Valentine's Day?

 

A sigh escapes his lips as he remembers what they planned to do today.  Chanyeol promised to take him on a proper date to the movies, because they never went before. Busy schedules balls. Then Chanyeol said he's going to buy him a bunch of balloons while they take a walk in the park, and then he'll sing for him.

 

 

 

But all of that is now gone down the drain. Gone not around any longer. Gone with Chanyeol.

 

Oh. Sometimes, Baekhyun wants to stop breathing to forget his own idiotic choices. Closing his eyes, he decides it's a much better idea to take a nap before he ends up killing himself and leaving Luhan - and Chanyeol, maybe - behind.

 

 

 

Soon enough, he is off to dreamland swimming in clear waters and running around the shore, under the bright shining sun. And there, he is with Chanyeol laughing and kissing and making love.

 

 

 

--

 

Baekhyun is jolted awake when his phone starts singing his favorite song. The song is set for only one person and he knows fully well who it is. Torn between answering and ending the call, he stares at his screen for what seemed like forever.

 

 

 

ChanChannieBaby <3, the screen blinks.

 

 

 

A month ago, he promised himself that he's going to change Chanyeol's name on his phonebook but every day, he convinces himself that there's no reason to do it because Chanyeol is not calling him anymore. It's not like he's going to see it every minute. And it's not bothering him since he's not checking his phonebook a lot.

 

 

 

Also, he thinks that being a little sentimental wouldn't hurt anyone. No.

 

 

 

The screen blinks at him again and again and again, asking to be noticed. He can feel his chest thudding and his eyes stinging as the ringtone continues to play.

 

 

 

Okay. Maybe Chanyeol's calling because he wants a proper closure. The pain in his heart intensifies at the thought. But nonetheless, Baekhyun presses the answer button.

 

 

 

"Hello?" His voice comes out hoarse.

 

 

 

Chanyeol is silent for a moment but Baekhyun knows he's still there because of his heavy breathing on the other end of the receiver.

 

 

 

"Chan?"

 

 

 

Baek...

 

 

Baekhyun sighs.

 

 

 

Happy... Ugh... Valentine's... day? I guess.

 

 

What is happy without you, Chanyeol? "Thanks... You, too." Baekhyun tries to sound as normal as he can but his insides are dying to cry out and tell Chanyeol how much he misses him. 

 

 

 

Are you... Will you... Uhmm.. Are you going out, today?

 

 

Baekhyun's heart begins to race. Just like it did the first time Chanyeol looked at him. "Uhm... No."   

 

 

 

Can you meet me at the park by 5? I have something I need to tell you.

 

 

The world crashes on Baekhyun again because Chanyeol's voice sounds emotionless and glum. Maybe he's right. Chanyeol must want a closure now. Maybe he found someone else. Someone who loves him and is perfect. Someone who isn't immature like Byun Baekhyun.

 

Letting go is hard but it's something he must do.

 

 

 

He checks the time, 2:54 pm. "Okay. I'll meet you there, Chan."

 

 

 

Using his old pet name for Chanyeol is something that has never been flushed out of his system. Sometimes, at night, he talks to Chanyeol inside his head and he still calls him ChanChannie.

 

Baekhyun ends the call and moves away from the sofa to get changed. He doesn't really need to prep up because it's just Chanyeol but he thinks that if this is the LAST time, maybe he needs to put in a lot of effort to make Chanyeol think twice about leaving him for good.

 

 

 

With that in mind, Baekhyun goes to his cabinet, pulls out his favorite shirt (the one he used to seduce/flirt with Chanyeol), his tightest black skinny jeans (which showcases the y lines of his wondrously), and jumps into them.

 

 

 

Then, he dabs a generous amount of eyeliner on his eyelids to make his eyes look twice a bigger than usual.

 

 

 

Now that he's looking at himself in front of the mirror he is satisfied that he manages to look the same as the first time he met Chanyeol. After picking up his coat and his car keys, he walks out of his apartment.

 

 

 

What used to be a 10-minute drive to the park seems to be taking forever for Baekhyun today. His feet are cold and his body shivers because of nervousness despite the heating system in his car.

 

 

 

He reaches the park after 10 years or rather, 30 minutes. The time says, 4:30pm. Meaning, there's still 30 minutes left to ponder and reset his life and prepare for the doom that is coming upon him. 

 

 

 

Baekhyun steps out of his car exactly 10 minutes before 5pm and takes small steps towards the park. He knows fully well where Chanyeol is going to wait. He is drowned in thought when suddenly a bunch of colorful balloons hits his face. A small boy is tugging at his pants and is handing him the strings.

 

 

 

Confused and surprised, Baekhyun shakes his head at the kid, while smiling sweetly, thinking that the cute young boy is selling the colorful things to him. After patting the boy's head, he starts walking again but the boy catches his wrist. "Baekhyun-hyung. This is for you."

 

 

 

The boy forcefully hands Baekhyun the balloons before bolting out of sight. Baekhyun, in his shocked self, can't think of ways to react to this situation. He just stood there, rigid. How did the boy know his name? Is this some kind of joke?

 

 

 

Blinking, he tries to look for answers but the truth seems evasive so Baekhyun continues walking. A couple of steps away, a small girl with a pretty smile gives him a white rose. Then an old man gives him another, and then a beautiful lady gives him another one.

 

 

 

Baekhyun is baffled and oblivious as to who is giving him the gifts. Is this some kind of a consolation price?

 

 

 

Another small girl hands Baekhyun a colorful card with cute doodles on the outside. When he opens it, Baekhyun doubts as to who's behind this scheme is confirmed. The scrawny handwriting gives it away.

 

 

 

If your name starts with B.

 

Then, you belong with C.

 

As simple as ABC

 

Our love should be filled with glee

 

Is it hard to see?

 

Baekhyun, we're meant to be.

 

 

P.S. Fountain? :)

 

 

Nothing can compare to the speed of his heart beating inside his chest. His tears ducts begins to water his eyes again. The words. Only Chanyeol can write it like that.

 

 

 

With hurried steps, he goes to the direction of the fountain and what he sees makes the tears fall out of his eyes and into the cold pavement. Pursing his lips, Baekhyun locks his eyes on the giant, a guitar in his arms and a microphone in front of him, standing beside the fountain.

 

The balloons dance in the air as the chilly wind blows on Baekhyun's face.

 

 

 

He is baffled.

 

 

 

Speechless.

 

 

 

Awed.

 

 

 

"Ah. Ah. Test. Baekhyun-ah. Can you hear me?" Chanyeol says to the microphone, eyes on Baekhyun's frozen state.

 

 

 

Baekhyun nods his head.

 

 

 

Then, the lively melody Chanyeol creates with his guitar fills the air and soon reaches Baekhyun's ears.

 

 

 

"If I told you I was perfect, I'd be lying. If there's something I'm not doing, babe, I'm trying. I know I'm no angel... But I'm not so bad." Chanyeol winks and it makes Baekhyun laugh. The fuzzy feeling inside his chest seems to grow bigger and bigger by the minute.

 

 

 

People are starting to stop and stare. But Chanyeol's eyes are only glued on Baekhyun.

 

 

 

"Baek. First, I want to say sorry for letting you go just like that. I was a coward. A dumb coward. I only thought of myself. You know, everyday, I keep thinking of you. I'm sorry this lasted for a month. But I'm hoping.. Maybe uhh..." Chanyeol steps away from the microphone and approached Baekhyun. When he is only a few inches away, "Will you come back to me?"

 

 

 

Baekhyun huffs out air like he's been holding his breath for a long, long, time. Tears make their way on his cheeks and a smile is pasted on his lips. He opens his mouth to answer but Chanyeol interrupts him.

 

 

 

"Wait. You can answer me after this." Without any warning, Chanyeol captures Baekhyun lips in his and gives him a short but deep kiss. When he sees the smaller male fall into what seems like a daze after the kiss, he embraces him. Chuckling, Chanyeol kisses Baekhyun's forehead and whispers, "That way, you won't say no."

 

 

 

"I wasn't going to say no, though."

 

 

 

"Well, I just want to be sure."

 

 

 

Baekhyun hugs Chanyeol back and everything around him - and his life - falls back into place again. 

- fin - 



A/N:

i'm sorry about this lol