Missed It By That Much

Let's Not Stay Friends

PAmber's POV

 

    Well, would you believe my luck?

    Just an hour ago, Amber had specifically told herself to never again set foot back into the administration office, unless it was a matter of life and death, but of course, fate had to rush in and pull a joke on Amber's life. What does it matter anyway? My life is already a joke to God. 

    Cursing under her breath, she pushed opened the annoyingly familiar doors and entered the office. She didn't get it. Her day was going perfectly well; her little basketball session with the school team was a breath of fresh air, she finally got to reunite with friends whom she had undoubtedly missed over the school break. Heck, she had even done a moral deed this morning by picking up a lost item. All in all, this was one of the best first day of school she has ever had in her 18 years of life. Alas, she had spoke too soon and the Gods above had decided to punish her by sending her to deal with the epitome of gloominess and grouchiness, for the second time in her first two hours at school. And classes haven't even officially started yet.

    "Back so soon, Miss Liu? Judging from the facial expression you had conspicuously given me during your previous visit, I wouldn't have guessed you'd be back in my company in such short period of time," 

    Amber looked up to see the ol' Lady Grumps typing away on her computer with a gruesome smile stretched over her face.

    Great, you're grumpy, grouchy and now you're sarcastic too?

    How can I not love this day?

    Knowing better than to get into a sword fight with one of the school's administrative workers, she unwillingly bowed her head in respect and moved forward towards the counter she previously stood at earlier that morning. 

    "Sorry to be a bother again, M'am, but I was informed to be here?" Amber managed to change her simple statement into sounding like a question.

    Madam Lee finally stopped typing on her keyboard and tore her attention from the screen of her computer. After having her fix of observing Amber from head to toe, she rolled her chair over to the side of the counter. She picked up a piece of paper then rolled back to her previous position. 

    She placed on the counter in front of her and went straight back to her computer, ignoring the presence of the senior who still stood there unaware that the piece of paper was meant for her.

    "Am I supposed to hand the piece of paper to you with both my hands?" The grumpy lady scoffed.

    God, what is her damage.

    Amber quickly stretched her arm out to collect the paper without throwing a glance over at Madam Lee. Just as she was about to read the paper in hand, Lady Grumps gave a series of fake coughs, signaling the student to leave the premises immediately.

    Annoyed and very much irritated by the ty attitude shown by the working lady, Amber her heels and stormed away without giving her usual bow and thanks. She put her weight onto the doors and pushed it open with her shoulder. No "thank you" for you, grumpy old lady. 

    I mean seriously, who treats people like this? Isn't it a basic manner to, I don't know, not piss people off when they're being nice and polite? Jesus, some people can be so inconsiderate to other people's feeli-

    A loud thud shot through Amber's ears.

    "Crap."

    She quickly bent forward to pick up the bag on the ground, "I'm sorry, I wasn't looking." She dusted the side of the bag before handing it back to the person whom she had unintentionally bumped into.

    "Uh, are you okay?" Amber asked, her face masked with concern, "Did I knock into you too-"

    Their eyes met.

    And Amber's world froze, along with her mind, and well, everything else.

    Then, the doors opened and out came the ol' Grumps.

    "You," she pointed her index finger at the person who stood opposite Amber, "if you're coming into the office, you better do it now because I've got better things to do than to wait on crummy little school children."

    The person moved; the doors closed; Amber remained still.

    She stood there, staring at the now empty space in front of her with confusion and wonder. Confused, as she could've sworn that she has seen those pair of eyes before. Wondering, about the number of girls in this school who have those same, beautiful, brown locks.

    The second bell rang through the hallways and Amber made her legs move to the direction of her locker. She started walking while reading the piece of almost-forgotten paper in her hand, but nothing registered in her head. Her mind was still so dazed by her recent incident, she had almost let the yellow Post-It note stuck to the paper go unnoticed. 

    It took her a while but she finally started seeing things straight. Upon seeing her class schedule in her hand, only did she realize that she had dropped it off somewhere in school and that someone along these dirtied halls had the heart to pick it up. She mentally sent out her thanks as her gaze fell onto the note that came with her previously lost class schedule.

   Amber tore it off her schedule and stared at the neatly written words.

 

    "18 and still a moron"

 

    She couldn't help but to break into a smirk as she eyed the underlined word. Am I supposed to find this amusing?

 

......................................

 

Krystal's POV

 

    Today was definitely not Krystal's day, not even by a long shot. First, it had to be the pack of dying cats and the obnoxious basketball player. As if that wasn't enough, she made the mistake of being a busybody by picking up someone's lost possession and bringing it over to the school office, where she was rudely treated, observed and judged by the lady working at the service counter. Krystal wasn't usually this nice, picking up lost items and returning them to their owner, but the one time she had it in her to do something of moral value, she got to become some rude, grumpy old lady's dart-board. 

   Then, right after she swore to never go back into the administration office, an announcement was made and for the second time of the day, she found herself standing in front of the ever-so-delightful Madam Lee. Before that ordeal had occur, some had knocked into her, causing her to drop her bag but she wasn't ticked off by that. She felt annoyed because when the boy crashed into her; one, it had scared the living daylights out of her; two, he had knocked into her a little too hard at the wrong area of the human body. 

    Before Krystal could even react to the pain that shot through her chest, the grouchy hag popped out of the office and made her go inside immediately. She let her eyes glance over to the careless before following Squidward's grandmother into the office. 

    Apparently, she had misplaced her Biology textbook and a student had retrieved it for her. She wasn't up for any sort of explanation to the identity of the student who had picked her book up and Madam Lee obviously wasn't in the mood for chit-chat, so Krystal left the office as soon as she felt the book being pushed into her palms.

    She mentally scolded herself for being so careless on the first day of school, having almost misplacing one of her textbooks. As she approached her locker to pick up the rest of the school books needed for her upcoming period, a piece of paper slipped out of her Bio text. Having the reflex of a ninja, she quickly caught it in the air before it could come in contact with the cold, hard surface of the floor. Reading from it, a frown slowly took its form on her fair face.


Hey so you dropped your book and well, i picked it up. Heheh

Just a quick reminder to hang tight to your stuff so you wouldn't lose them.

Not everyone has the morals to pick up lost belongings and not keep it for themselves.

Even if it was just a school book. 

There are tons of weirdos out there so be on a lookout.

Okay. Remember to look after your things!

Okay?

Have a great first day :D

 

p.s never leave your over at the bleachers because the basketballers are a bunch of weirdos ;)


 

    Seriously?

    Leaving notes is one thing, but this, this piece of paper wasn't just a note. 

    It's a freaking poem.

    Krystal rolled her eyes after reading the "note" that was obviously written by the person who had found her book. Yes, she was grateful but there was also a slight tinge, okay, maybe more than a slight tinge, of annoyance. What are we, five? Trying to make new friends?

    She rolled her eyes once more, thinking about the pathetic person who wrote the "note". A simple "look after your own " would have sufficed but no, this idiot had to dedicate a poem in the name of her misplacing her book. An hour at her new school and she was already convinced that the place was filled with a bunch of dimwits and unhygienic basketball players. 

    Some people just can't get over .

    It reminded her of something, someone. Someone who wouldn't go away, someone who wouldn't let go, someone from the night before.

    Someone, with bright, blonde hair. The . 

    Somehow, that had also triggered her her mind to the moment when she caught sight of the basketball player whom the pack of dying cats were glorifying over, and then to the who had knocked into her outside the admin office. All of them had seemingly once thing in common. 

    What am I, a blonde magnet?

    She looked at the piece of paper and read the contents again before crumpling it up and tossing it into the nearest trash can around.