Sunset Boys (BTS, OC) Part 2

EXOTICARMY127 FANFICTION SHOP (EXO & BANGTAN BOYS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The house was pretty.

Sunny thought that if she was being forced to stay here then at least the place she would be staying in was nice. The ride going there was equally charming with its winding sandy roads and the sight of the ocean stretching on her right in a calming blue across the horizon.

When the car finally slowed to a stop, Sunny gaped up a small hill from her window where a yellow, two-story house sat, facing the most gorgeous beach view. They climbed up the wooden steps and she smiled when she saw the cute, wooden, picket-fenced house up close.

“Welcome home.” Jun said as he opened the front door and motioned for her to go in. “Well, at least for the next few weeks.”

Sunny was too busy marveling at the place to even comment. The interior was pretty simple and felt very homey. White walls covered the inside with carved wooden paneling and a yellow birch hardwood flooring. In the foyer, there was a huge portrait hung of a man in a sailor’s uniform (Jun explained it was from the original owner of the house and just decided to keep it because removing it would ruin the whole aesthetic of the interior design), and in the living room was a bookshelf, a TV set and small coffee table in front of a comfy two-seater couch. A balcony double-door stood at the opposite side with sheer white drapes dancing in the wind against it, letting in the scent of fresh air and saltwater.

“I usually do my work in my study,” Jun pointed at the door at the opposite end of the hall. Sunny knew her father was a writer and nodded as he pointed to his office. “So, that’s where you’ll usually find me. Other than that room, you’re free to go about the house. Bringing friends over is okay but no parties—”

“Dad.” Sunny chuckled, stopping him. Her mother warned her that he hadn’t had much parenting experience and that she should take it easy on him. “It’s okay. I know, and I don’t really ‘party’.” She smiled at the look of relief that washed over his face. “Can I borrow some books, though?” She glanced at the shelf beside her.

Jun’s eyes twinkled at the mention of books. “You... like to read as well?”

Sunny nodded. She suddenly felt a little shy, since her love from reading was basically fostered by him. Not particular by him but the books he wrote. When she was younger, she believed that if she read his books, she would feel closer to him; that she would at least get to know her father and maybe understand the reason why he left them in the first place. As the thought surfaced, Sunny realized that the latter was partly the reason she agreed to live here for the summer…

“Yeah...I... I read your books. They were really great.”

She wasn’t sure if she was imagining it but her father’s eyes seemed to water beneath his glasses. A couple of seconds passed before he cleared his throat; averting his gaze and removing his glasses to wipe it against his sleeve.  

“Oh, that’s...” he let out a shaky breath, smiling. “That’s wonderful, Sunny. Really wonderful.”

An awkward silence settled between them once more so, Sunny let her eyes wander across the room, her gaze settling on a desk right beside the doorway leading to the dining room where several photo frames stood. Her gaze softened when she spotted a familiar wedding photo.

The doorbell sounded all of a sudden and Jun excused himself to get it, leaving Sunny to check out the photos. She smiled upon seeing a shot of her mother and she from when Sunny was probably ten years old. They were smiling brightly, her mother’s arms wrapped against her little waist as she leaned her chin on her shoulder. There was another where her mother was carrying her on her arm, standing at the base of a hill with the yellow house just behind them. As she surveyed the frames, Sunny realized that all of the pictures where of them: her father, mother and she. No one else. The fact made her heart warm and she felt her initial discomfort disappearing, uncoiling in the pit of her stomach.

“Oh, hello there.”

Sunny spun around at the unfamiliar voice, surprised to see an equally unfamiliar boy in a sleeveless shirt and shorts, carrying a big box in his arms.

“Uh…hi.” She mumbled, a little mesmerized by his smile. She never thought anything could look so bright.

“You must be Sunny.” He said as he passed her, moving towards the kitchen to her left. Sunny pressed her lips and followed him, watching him move around the room swiftly and with ease like he lived there all his life. He placed the goods from the box and into their respective cabinets, placing chilled items in the refrigerator, arranging the fruits in a bowl on the table, and even filling up the water dispenser.

“Thanks, Hoseok. I really appreciate you delivering on short notice.” Jun walked in with a couple of plastic bags and placed them on the dining room table. Whatever was in those bags smelled amazing… like grilled squid and butter-sautéed shrimp.

“No problem, Mr. White. Always happy to help.”

Sunny bit her lip to prevent from smiling. She bet Hoseok was named employee of the month several times with that million-dollar smile.

“Oh! This is my daughter, Sunny.”

Hoseok’s gaze turned towards her, then reached out his hand to shake. “Hoseok Jung. But you can call me Hobi.”

“Hobi?” She asked with a smile as she took his hand. They were slightly calloused, but so very warm.

“My friends call me that. Actually, almost everyone on the island do.” He chuckled. “Are you staying for long?”

“For the remaining of the summer. If she likes it here, she might go to Seafare in the fall.” Jun answered for her, the mention of the school making Sunny wince a little. She wasn’t even sure about staying.

“Oh, that’s where I go!” Hoseok—Hobi— grinned.  “If ever you need someone to show you around, I’ll be happy to do that.”

Sunny smiled at the offer, unsure how she already felt so comfortable around him even when they had just met.

“Uh, cool. Thanks.”

“Oh and hey, it’s Friday today and there’s usually a band playing at Seb’s. It’s around eight. You should come!” Hobi invited then glanced at Jun with a polite smile. “If you don’t have plans already that is. And of course, you’re invited too, Mr. White!”

Jun chuckled. “I think I’m a little too old to be joining you kids on a Friday night.” He glanced at Sunny with a chuckle. “But you should go, honey. Great way to get to know everyone. Most of the kids your age hang-out there.”

“Awesome!” Hobi looked back at her. “Hope to see you later then, yeah?” Sunny only smiled. “I better get going. I have another delivery.”

They bid their goodbyes and Sunny watched him from the balcony; getting into a rusty red truck and driving away, leaving smoke and dust behind.

“Hoseok Jung.” Jun said behind her, making her turn at the fond tone in his voice. “He’s a good kid. He’s one of the first people I met on the island...well, it was actually his mother and he was just ten, then. I practically watched him grow up.”

A certain heaviness fell upon Sunny’s chest; almost melancholic but mixed with annoyance. She would never admit it out loud, but she felt a little jealous at the fact that her father had watched Hobi grow, someone who wasn’t even his family, while he let himself be away from his only daughter for years.

“Um. Yeah… I’m going to go up to rest up a bit.” She turned from him and made her way inside when Jun called:

“Oh? Don

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter