Standing in the Dark (Rap Monster, You)

EXOTICARMY127 FANFICTION SHOP (EXO & BANGTAN BOYS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

🎵  "I'm looking through the glass... she's someone else's angel." 

 Originally posted on my Love You Like a Love Song series. Click on the title for more music-inspired scenarios. :)

 

Smile.

It had always been his favorite feature on you. Namjoon loved seeing your face light up, eyes bright as you laughed at a lame joke he had made. Frankly, you were the only one who laughed at his jokes and that's when he knew you two were two pieces in a pod; one and the same.

But right now, he didn't like seeing it one bit and it made his stomach churn in a bad way. His hands clenched on his sides when he saw you laughing through the glass window of the cafe, with eyes brighter than he had ever seen it before. 

He hated that smile… Simply because it wasn't directed at him. 

Namjoon always though himself to be a very rational guy. He was smart and always believed his decisions were well thought of. As a result, his life went on smoothly—accordingly to his plans. 

But that didn't mean his life was easy. In fact, it was far from that. Before he became Rap Monster, leader and rapper of the popular South Korean group BTS, he was barely surviving as an underground rapper. He worked hard to where he was now; staying up late at the studio producing tracks and practicing dance routines till his body ached all over. Despite the struggles and numerous “You’ll never make it” comments that were thrown his way on a daily basis, he never complained and kept going; knowing these were necessary to reach his goals and to be where he wanted to be...

Namjoon was a very rational guy and he knew things happened for a reason. 

But there was something about you that made him question himself; made him question his decisions even.

Because no matter how much he tried to think rationally; tried to persuade himself that he made the right decision by ending things with you...

It felt wrong.

Very wrong.

And all it took was one look at your smiling face; a sharp contrast to the tears he had seen on your face a year ago when he broke up with you, for his chest to tighten painfully—regret filling him up to the core.

“Hyung, you coming?”

Namjoon tore his gaze away and found Taehyung looking at him expectantly. He nodded and followed the younger but not before stealing another glance.

You were still smiling. And Namjoon felt his heart break just a little. 

He was so stupid.

How could he have fooled himself to thinking he was already over you?

 

Sleep.

Jungkook slept soundly on the other side of the bedroom while Namjoon laid on his side wide awake, staring at the ceiling as he replayed the afternoon's happenings over and over again. 

They just came back from practice and most of the members had passed out on their respective beds instantly, exhaustion pulling them under.

But Namjoon had a force stronger than exhaustion and it kept him up, his head reeling from thoughts he believed he had already buried in the deepest part of his consciousness.

The corner of his lips tugged upward in a slight smirk. You always did have a way with him. 

He still remembered the first day he met you: it was at a concert of one of his favorite bands. He saw you against the crowd, arms raised and singing along to one of the songs.

It just so happened that it was Namjoon's favorite one and as cheesy as it may sound, you practically sang your way into his heart; gripping him so tightly he had no choice but to hold on and never let go.

Namjoon frowned slightly at that, his chest suddenly feeling heavy, making it hard to breathe. He sat up, rubbing his chest slightly before looking over at Jungkook who was still fast asleep on the bed.

He sighed before standing up and making his way out of the room as quietly as possible. 

~~~

Flashback

"Do you ever think of the future?" You asked out of the blue and Namjoon turned towards you with a thoughtful expression.

"All of the time," he shrugged. "I think we all think of it..."

"I mean like... do you ever feel worried about it? Think about what will happen? Where you’ll be ten years from now?” You looked down at your lap, playing idly at the seams of your sweater. "Wonder till it makes you paranoid...?"

Namjoon bit his lip before taking your hand and intertwining your fingers. You looked into his eyes then and Namjoon felt his heart go thump thump thump against his chest. You we

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter