Promises & Constellations (Prof V, You story)

EXOTICARMY127 FANFICTION SHOP (EXO & BANGTAN BOYS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In celebration of my 2nd anniversary on Tumblr, here's a one-shot featuring our favorite professor! <3 This story takes place a few months after the story ended. Enjoy! 

"Hyung, do I look okay?"

"You asked me that question for the hundredth time, Tae." Namjoon sighed, eyes focused on the graduated cylinder in front of him as he placed the dropper over its mouth. "You look fine."

"Are you sure? I think my hair—"

"Taehyung." Namjoon stood up and looked at the younger with serious eyes through his goggles. "I swear to God, if you don't stop asking I'm going to dump this solution over your head till your hair turns pink."

Taehyung instantly smiles at the joke but the nerves returned just as fast. "I'm sorry. I'm just..." He huffed as he sat down on Namjoon's desk. "It's her, you know?"

Namjoon sighed and shook his head amusedly. Taehyung had be pacing the lab back and forth in his simple polo and khakis, and for what reason? He's about to go on a date.

Although he doesn't want to label it as a “date" and addresses the situation as "two friends hanging out in a semi-friendly manner."

That is a date, Namjoon thought before giving him an encouraging smile. "Tae, you do know that Y/N likes you, right?"

"Why does everyone say that? I'm not even sure about that myself—"

"Because the girl wouldn't have agreed to go on your little dates—"

"It's not a date—"

"Whatever your call it." Namjoon rolled his eyes. "The point is, she wouldn't have gone out with you if she didn't like you."

"Maybe she's just being nice." He said a matter of fact and Namjoon wanted to hurl the cylinder across the room for his friend’s lack of trust in himself. "Maybe she just doesn't want to hurt my feelings and you know, dump me..."

Namjoon shook his head slightly, "Tae, you've been going out for almost three months now. Why are you so—“ Something flashed in Taehyung's eyes and Namjoon stopped as a sudden realisation dawned on him.

Right then, everything started to make complete sense.

"You haven't asked, have you?" Namjoon said almost accusingly and Taehyung shies away like a little school boy. It would've been cute if it weren't for the fact that it was a fully grown 25-year-old man doing it.

“I—"

"Dude. My pet snail is faster than you."

"Since when did you have a pet snail??"

“It's an expression." Namjoon rolled his eyes. "Seriously, you haven't asked her? I thought you guys were like... together together?" Namjoon says as he makes quote on quote gestures with his fingers.

"Well, we..." Taehyung rubs his nape bashfully. "It's complicated. I just... haven't asked her out officially."

"But you're going on dates. Doesn't that count for asking her out?"

"Does it?"

Namjoon face-palmed himself mentally, wondering how someone so smart could be so dumb sometimes. "Yes?!"

"I don't know..." Taehyung huffs. "It's just that... There's something. Yeah we go out and she smiles a lot and I make her laugh. And she's really pretty when she—"

"Your point Tae."

"Sorry. I mean, we haven't labeled anything, you know?"

"And that's important to you?"

"Of course it is!" Taehyung said defiantly. "You know what happened the last time we didn't, right?"

"Oh yeah. That." Namjoon nodded thoughtfully before swiveling in his stool; his hand gesturing with a flourish. "Then go ask her! Ask her out officially, I mean."

"I've tried!" Taehyung growls in frustration. "It's easier said than done."

Namjoon gives him a queer look, "What are you so afraid of Tae?"

Taehyung opened his mouth then closes it, unsure what to say. The answer was at the tip of his tongue and he was almost sure Namjoon could read it on his face like a plain old neon sign.

"What if...she rejects me?" Taehyung mumbled.

Namjoon looked at him then, his expression softening before standing up and walking towards him. "I think Y/N is already too fond of you to even refuse."

"There's a difference between fondness and actually wanting to be with someone, hyung." Taehyung pointed out.

“Hey, I've only met Y/N a few times and I could already see how much she adores you." He encourages. "You don't have to be so worried."

"We've only started going out for a while… What if I'm moving too fast? What if she doesn't want a Science geek slash professor slash astronomer as a boyfriend?" Taehyung listed, looking more panicked by the second.

"I'm not sure why you're trying so hard to degrade your humanity, but seriously Taehyung just ask her straight out and get it over with!"

Before Taehyung could reply his phone sounded, signaling a text. By the way the younger's eyes bulged slightly, Namjoon knew it must be Y/N.

"Y/N's car broke and she's asking if I can pick her up." Taehyung mumbled as if he just said something foreign and Namjoon had to reach out to him and pull him off his seat.

"Dude. Go!"

"Okay but do I look—"

"Just go!"

Taehyung fumbled for his car keys before heading out with a rushed wave. Namjoon shook his head in amusement at the way Taehyung stumbles and fumbles over everything that involved Y/N. Not to mention how he would slightly lose his composure at the simple sound of her voice or the mere mention of her name.

He was totally whipped and Namjoon knew it. He's been there after all. Before he returned to his work, Namjoon sends a text to Andrea, his wife, saying that he's going to come home earlier than expected.

His wife's ecstatic reply brings a newfound joy bursting in his chest and he thinks maybe, there are some things your heart couldn't get used to… like the way it beats like a drum at her simple text replies.

~~~

Y/N was speaking with the mechanic when she received a (very) distressed call from Taehyung.

"Tae," she nodded at the mechanic who gave her some documents to fill before switching the phone to her right ear. "I'm fine. Calm down. My car just decided to stop… batteries are out."

"Oh." Taehyung breathed. "But you're okay—"

"Yeah." Y/N answered, ignoring the way her heart fluttered at his worried tone. "I'm sorry I have to ask you to fetch me."

"No don't. It's fine, really." He said and she could almost sense the smile in his tone. "I'm almost there. Give me a few minutes."

"Okay." True to his word, Taehyung's car pulled over the driveway of the building ten minutes later and Y/N tried not to faint right there at the sight of him.

Taehyung always looked good with his dark hair and alluring eyes. He was lanky but stood straight and tall, his body language communicating confidence and intellect. His glasses were hanging on his shirt collar, sleeves rolled up to the elbows as his eyes searched for the vicinity.

"Over here, Tae!" She called from the office and Taehyung looked up, panicked for a second but she observed how his eyes softened the moment it met hers. He walked towards the main office, opening the glass door and giving her a smile.

"Hi."

"Hi yourself." She chuckled, thinking how some things just don't change. The mechanic returned and told her that her car should be ready for pick up in a couple of days. Y/N groaned inwardly, knowing how she'll have to commute for the next two days.

"I can drive you." Taehyung suddenly said which made Y/N look up at him in surprise.

"Oh no, it's fine—"

"Really. It's no big deal. The lab is on the way to your office anyway." Taehyung shrugged and Y/N opened to protest more but Taehyung gave her a sharp look, shutting her up. "I insist Y/N."

Y/N sighed and realized she must be staring at him with a dreamy gaze when the mechanic cleared his throat and handed her the final set of documents. "Sorry, thanks." She said to him before turning towards Taehyung with a soft smile. "Thanks, Tae."

He smiled at her and she felt the urge to kiss his cheek but stopped herself at the last minute.

"Ready to go?" Taehyung motioned his head towards his car and Y/N nodded before following him; wishing she wasn't so damn shy around him.

~~~

Taehyung brought her to the mall because Y/N needed to find a new dress for an event she had to go to. The original plan was to go to the pier outside of the city to watch the sunset maybe, but Y/N received an emergency call from one of her staff, saying that she'll be filling in for her boss' spot at a gala tomorrow night. The gala was evidently a formal event.

"I'm so sorry Tae," she apologized for the nth time that afternoon as they walked through the air curtain of the main entrance. "Are you really sure you're okay with this?"

"I think I've answered your question six times already." He chortled and Y/N felt herself blush.

"I'm really sorry—"

"It's fine, Y/N. I can hang with you while you shop."

"But we were supposed to—"

"You're here, right?" Taehyung interrupted and Y/N could've sworn she felt herself falling right there; over the edge of a steep cliff called Taehyung’s eyes. "That's all that matters to me."

You shouldn't say things like that, she thought before giving him a tight smile and walking towards the boutiques on the second floor.

~~~

"You look great."

Y/N sighed, shaking her head slightly. Taehyung proved to be of no help when it came to shopping for clothes.

"What?" Taehyung's smile fades as he gave her a dumbfounded look. It was almost comical if he didn't look so cute sitting there patiently on the couch while she tried on each dress.

"You've said that about the other dresses too, Tae." She shook her head before moving towards the floor-length mirror and checking the fit of the dress she had on. It was a dark blue cocktail dress, with its hem falling just above her knees. Y/N liked how it fit but something felt off.

"That's because you look great in all of them."

Y/N looked back at him and felt her knees wobble at the intense gaze he was giving her. She felt run dry and she wasn't sure if she imagined the smirk tugging at the corners of his lips. It made her turn so fast she almost stumbled back into the dressing room.

“You okay?"

"I'll try one last one." She called out before closing the door and leaning against it for support; breathless like she just ran a marathon.

The next time she came out, she was in an off shoulder black dress, the fabric hugging her on all the right places and accentuating curves she didn't even know she had. Y/N swept her hair to the side as she moved out of the dressing room and said, "I'm feeling good about this dress. What do you think?"

It seemed that Y/N didn't need a verbal answer considering how Taehyung's gaze swept over her form with dark-lit eyes. She felt herself shiver at his gaze and it was emphasized even more when he breathed out with a deep and raspy voice, "Beautiful."

Y/N didn't bother trying on another dress.

~~~

Work in the lab was usually light on Friday's so Taehyung had a lot of time to just roam around and chat with some of the scientists in the vicinity. He liked learning about different projects; seeing bits and pieces of what they were working on and maybe offering some insights.

However, Taehyung had taken an intern this month considering he just finished his PhD last month and he wanted to be of help to other students. So he took the liberty of giving his new intern a tour of the lab and showing him the ropes.

"Wow. That sounds incredible Dr. Kim!" Seungkwan chirped as he jutted down notes. Taehyung liked the kid; hardworking and insightful. He was a junior at West university, majoring in chemistry.

"Yeah. I guess." Taehyung nodded. "But this here is the best part—" he motioned towards another room just as his phone rang. He answered without looking, "Hello? Kim speaking."

"Hey Tae."

Taehyung almost choked on his own spit. "Y/N?" He looked down at his phone, seeing her name on the screen, before returning it to his ear. "Y/N! Hi!"

"You haven't saved my number yet?"

"No…no! I did! I just answered without looking, sorry." He said. "What's up?"

"I just thought maybe you wanted to have lunch?" She asked. "I can drop by and bring some food if you can't leave..."

Taehyung felt his heart flutter at the offer, “S—sure! That would be really great."

"Meet you in half an hour?"

"Yeah, okay.” The call ends there but Taehyung's heart seemed to be beating a thousand miles per hour still.

"Uh, Dr. Kim?"

Taehyung jumped slightly, a sheepish expression dawning on his face. "Sorry." He smiled at him and entered the room. "Where were we?"

Seungkwan told him before asking more questions while Taehyung tried not to count down the minutes till his lunch hour with Y/N.

~~~

"Lunch time, love. Let’s go!" Lenard tapped Y/N on the shoulder as he passed by her table while Y/N was busily packing her things, getting ready to leave.

"I have plans, Len. Sorry."

"Ooh." He smirks as he half-sat down her desk. “Does this plan involve a certain y doctor named Taehyung Kim?"

Y/N tried not to smile too much, "Yeah."

"Asked you out?"

"I, actually initiated this time." She said and Lenard nodded.

"Good for you." He said, impressed. "But I mean, has he asked you out yet?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter