Chapter 20

Shadows of the Dark

The four males were walking out of Neverland after having their stomachs filled.

“Thank you for your hospitality, Heenim!”

Yongguk and Himchan bowed to Heechul formally. Heechul patted them on the back with a huge smile on his face.

“Aigo~ Don't stand on ceremony with me, you kids. Feel free to come again anytime you want.”

“Deh!”

“Heenim, thank you for inviting me to Neverland tonight.”

Hyunseung bowed too. He made a mental note to introduce this place to the others in DUSK. He really like this place. It makes him feel glad to be alive. Hyunseung took a sharp intake of breath and stood rigid with Heechul suddenly hug him tight in his embrace. The owner sighed and Hyunseung's hair.

“You have to come here often okay, Hyunnie? I will miss you~ And your pretty face~ It's nice having such pretty faces appearing in my restaurant in just one night. You and Himchan should just come alone without those two bulldogs other days, all right?”

“Hyung! I'm not a bulldog!”

Yongguk grumbled. Himchan laughed and tapped Yongguk's on the shoulder. Hyunseung looked at Junhyung for aid. He was frankly not used to be so physically close to someone else that was not Junhyung. But Junhyung was looking at the ground, eyes looking really blank and lifeless. Hyunseung was worried for him, yet he couldn't help but hope that Junhyung will help him out.

“Hyung, you are scaring Hyunseung... He is not used to physical contact...”

Himchan indicated to the owner. Heechul quickly released Hyunseung and mumbled his apologies. The doe eyed forced a small smile and looked at Junhyung. Heechul noticed his glance and moved towards his dongsaeng.

“Yah!”

Heechul landed a hard slap on Junhyung's back. The boy jumped in shock and stared at his hyung dumbfounded. Yongguk and Himchan have never see Junhyung with such a stupid face.

“Pfft...Oh my god, hahahaha hyung! You should have seen your face! Hahahaha epic!”

The two guys were laughing so hard that they were squatting on the ground with tears at the corner of their eyes. Hyunseung bit on his lips to control his laughter. Junhyung blinked his eyes to get that situation. He turned to look at Hyunseung and scratched his head in awkwardness.

“Sorry, I was staring off space...”

“Tch, and here I thought you would be grateful to your hyung who gave you the courage to invite Hyunseung here. Ungrateful brat.”

“W-what- Hyung! Ah, thank you for having us over!”

Heechul hit Junhyung on the head with a loud thud. Junhyung groaned and rubbed his head.

“Babo. Aish, get going get going. I have to get back in. Get home safe, kids.”

“Deh~ Rest early, Heenim~”

The four males then slowly strolled down the street towards the place where Junhyung parked his car. When Hyunseung was about to stay his goodbye to his two dongsaengs, Himchan suddenly held his hand.

“Seung, want to go somewhere?”

“....?”

“It's still early right, hyung?”

Himchan nudged Junhyung in the side. Junhyung looked at Hyunseung with sad eyes.

“It's been awhile since the three of you met. You should hang out longer. Since I have a car, I can send you back later.”

“But-...”

“Himchan just wants to bring you somewhere. We have work later on anyway, it wouldn't take long.”

Yongguk smiled at Hyunseung with pleading eyes. Hyunseung sighed and nodded with a smile back. Himchan and Yongguk both made a sound of happiness and hopped onto Junhyung's car.

“Jun...”

Hyunseung called out to him. Junhyung opened the door for him and was waiting for him to go in, but he just stood there to look at him. Junhyung tilted his head in confusion.

“Hmmm, what's wrong Seung?”

Himchan asked from inside the car.

“Can we talk later?”

Hyunseung held onto Junhyung's forearm. Junhyung nodded his head softly. Hyunseung then sighed and stepped into the passenger's seat. Junhyung then got into his driver seat and drove towards the place that Himchan was saying. It was an old dance studio where the three of them used to come practice after school during high school times. Hyunseung smiled as he took the first step into the lobby of the building. He remembered how he would rather spending the night in the practice room than going home.

“Let's go up to the roof top!”

Himchan got into the lift and pressed the button to hold the door for them to get in. Yongguk got in and Hyunseung followed. Junhyung stood outside looking at the ground.

“Jun...?”

“Oh...uh...Himchan, you and Hyunseung get up first. I will accompany hyung up.”

“Eh? Why?”

“Just go up. We will meet you at the roof later.”

Yongguk got out of the lift and pressed on the “Door Close” button. The two pretty boys in the lift was dumbfounded, but got out of the lift when they reached the destination and stepped out to meet the boys at the entrance door of the roof. Once Hyunseung saw Junhyung, he opened his mouth and was about to say something but was cut off by Yongguk.

"Seung, do you remember this place?"

Hyunseung nodded as he scanned the whole place. He remember there was once when he was so engrossed in dancing that he forgot the time. The gate of this building is automated by a timer. When the time strikes midnight, the gate closes and will only be opened the next day by the security. He was stuck in the building and was so hungry. His legs bought him to the roof top and he was shocked by the scene. The building was only four storeys high, but there was no trees or obstacles blocking. From the roof, they could see the whole sky and it left like they were under a dark pool of bright stars. For that moment, Hyunseung felt like it was reflecting his heart. He was training so hard in wish that his dance will be recognised one day. But there are so many other great dancers surrounding him. He was a star within a pool of other stars. He have to keep polishing himself so that he will shine brighter than others. So that he will attract others and be recognised for his efforts.

"And Seung would always bring us up here ever since that day! He would bring speakers and dance mats and lay them here and we would dance here when there are not enough studios for us."

"I remember all three of us plus Yukwon and Minhyuk would end up stuck here the whole night because we forgot about time."

"Then Yukwon and Minhyuk would cuddle when they sleep and we were feeling even colder in the heart!"

Yongguk laughed. Himchan chuckled while reminiscing the past. Hyunseung's eyes were all sparkling from looking at the shining bright sky. He turned back to look at Junhyung again, wanting to share that beautiful with him. But he was surprised when he saw Junhyung was also looking at him, but even sadder eyes then before. Hyunseung really didn't get why was he feeling that way. Just then, Himchan's cell rang.

"Deh, noona. Omo it's time already? Omo omo, mianhae! We will get over now! Deh!"

"Seung, we gotta go. We are late for work. Yongguk and I are working part time at a modelling agency now. We will contact you again! Anneyong!"

Yongguk held onto Himchan's hand and ran off after bidding their farewell to the two left behind. The two of them were in an awkward silence since the couple left in a hurry.

"...Jun-"

"I will send you home now... Let's go..."

"Why are you avoiding me?"

"I'm not..."

Hyunseung felt like he could punch a tiger in the face. He was already ticked off and Junhyung is making things worse. It felt like there are veins popping out of his forehead.

"Oh really now? Then why did you give me that sad face the whole night? I don't remember doing anything that made you upset with me."

"...It's not..."

"Then what? My eyes are playing games with me? You are actually smiling at me but I visualised it as sadness?"

"...."

Hyunseung never felt so pissed in his life before. He was clenching his fist so tightly, he could feel piercing pain on his palms.

"Fine, be that way. I will just forget about what happened from morning till now. It felt like heaven and hell anyway."

Hyunseung stormed off towards the lift. Junhyung chased after him and tried to pull his hand, but Hyunseung shook his hand off and stepped onto the lift. But Junhyung's feet hesitated when he was about to step into the lift. Hyunseung scowled.

"Yong Junhyung-ssi, I felt like I really don't know anything about you. You don't ever tell me things about yourself. Can I really trust you?"

In the first time tonight, Hyunseung gave Junhyung a sad smile. He pressed on the lift button to close the door. Hyunseung felt like crying when Junhyung was just standing there and letting the door close between them. All of a sudden, a leg appeared between the gap of the door to prevent it from closing. The door opened up once again. Hyunseung look at the male taking cautious and stiff steps into the lift. The doe eyed felt that he really don't understand Junhyung. For a moment, he was scared to take the same lift with him. And the next moment, he took the lift like someone was threatening him with a knife.

“S-seung...”

Junhyung's face was turning pale. He holds onto the side of his chest and his breathes are started getting shallow. He was panting slightly and slowly curling down to the ground. Hyunseung felt bewildered, what is wrong with Junhyung? Hyunseung could breathe fine, it's not like there is lack of oxygen in the lift. He bent down to check on Junhyung, he was shocked to see him breakdown like this.

“Jun? What's wrong with you? Are you okay? Why are you panting so heavily?”

“I-”

Just then, the lift jerked and came to a stop. The lights in the lift were turned off, and the metal box stood rigid.

“NO...!”

Junhyung screamed and was panting even louder, scaring Hyunseung to no end. The elder male stood up and pressed on the emergency bell button. The speaker's voice projected from the speaker.

“Sorry for the inconveniences caused. Please do not panic and stay calm. The technicians are currently on their way to get the lift back to operation.”

“Jun...Jun, you heard that? It's all right, we will be out soon. Are you okay? What's wrong?”

“Cl-claustrophobia...”

“...Sorry?”

“I'm claustrophobic...I ha-have...a phobia...of b-being...locked...up...”

“Oh my-...! !”

Hyunseung continuously pressed on the emergency button, but each time, the speaker would announce the same things. Hyunseung hugged Junhyung tightly, pressing the side of Junhyung's face on his shoulder.

“Don't be scared, it's okay. I'm here. I'm here, Jun.”

“Hah...It seems...you are...the...one...having...the phobia...instead...”

“Stop talking! I shouldn't have let you come in here at all. I should have known something was wrong when you and Yongguk took the stairs instead of the lift. I'm s-”

“It's not your fault...It's mine...I was...too prideful...I didn't want...to show you...my weakness...I felt lame when I thought of you...knowing about...my phobia...”

“...Wh-what...Are you stupid? Aish...babo!”

For a moment, Hyunseung forgot about Junhyung's difficulty in breathing and flicked his finger on Junhyung's forehead. When Junhyung groaned in pain, Hyunseung suddenly remembered that the other male was already not in a good condition.

“Oh , I'm sorry. Aish...”

Hyunseung face-palmed himself. He put Junhyung down and let him rest his head on his lap. He his sweaty face and pushed off the bangs that were sticking to his face due to the perspiration. The breathless male laid there and looked up at Hyunseung. Their eyes met and just stayed there with silence for a while.

“I'm sorry...”

“...Are you going to tell me what's wrong?”

Junhyung tried to even his breathing before speaking.

“I...I was angry with myself...”

“For?”

“...I felt useless... Throughout this whole year, I thought I was in the right track in helping you get out of the phobia you had... But it seems like even I did was not enough... I felt useless, I felt compared. I know I shouldn't do that, but I can't help myself... I thought you have already passed the stage of being a victim of your past... I thought I succeed in making you forget about the past... but seeing your reaction when you saw Yongguk today... I felt like a big failure. Through this one year, I failed. I failed in making you feel better. I felt angry with myself. I should put in more effort into making you get out the phobia.”

“And you started comparing yourself with Yongguk...?”

“...I used one year to lead you out of the darkness... But you were still stuck at the edge of the darkness, not daring to dare the last step towards the light. But yet... Yongguk... Just a sentence from him, you stepped out. You were not afraid of Himchan's physical contact with you either. I know I look really lame right now, but I can't help it!”

Junhyung covered his face with his left arm. He felt ashamed of himself, he felt like a brat for acting like this.

“Brat...”

“...I know I am acting like one now...”

“It's because of you, that I'm able to speak to the both of them normally again.”

“....???”

“You were the one who encouraged me to talk to Yongguk just now. It's because of you that I took all the courage to speak the him. And...I'm not used to Himchan hugging me again, but my mind was too occupied with the fact that I could speak to them because of your encouragement, that I didn't mind the contact. Get it now? Babo...”

Hyunseung pinched Junhyung's cheek. The younger male placed his hand on Hyunseung's while looking into his eyes. He was drawing circles with his thumb. Hyunseung wiped off the drop of perspiration on the corner of his forehead.

“Are you feeling better?”

Junhyung nodded his head and closed his eyes while feeling at ease just by having Hyunseung his face.

“It happened once ten years ago.”

“...?”

“I was stuck in a lift too. I was going home from school, and the lift broke down halfway. I was so scared, I kept banging the lift door, but no one answered me. My parents were out for a vacation and the staffs were all slacking off because no one was there to supervise them. Yongguk was the one who found me stuck in the lift when he couldn't call through my phone. He cried outside the lift for a whole hour before I was rescued out. I fainted due to lack of oxygen and was put on drips after that. Ever since then, I have never taken a lift... No matter how many floors I'm going up, I would climb the stairs... But I didn't want you to run away from me, I need you. I can't be without you... I'm sorry for everything tonight... It was supposed to be a wonderful day... but my childishness ruined it...”

“At least your childishness made me know more about you.”

“Knowing how much of a possessive person I am?”

Hyunseung laughed softly. He ran his thumb over Junhyung's heart shaped lips. Both of them were looking at each other again with comfortable silence. The lift suddenly jerked back to live. Junhyung sat up immediately and started panicking again. He was breathing heavily and grabbing the wall for support.

“J-jun! Jun, relax! Jun!”

Hyunseung cupped Junhyung's face in his hands to force him to look at him. Hyunseung placed his forehead on Junhyung's sweaty one.

“Relax, breathe with me. Follow my breathing...”

Hyunseung took in a deep breath and huff out slowly. Junhyung slowly followed Hyunseung's breathing and calmed down slightly. The lift slowly descended towards the lobby level. Unconsciously, Junhyung grabs onto the side of Hyunseung's waist. The door opens up when the metal box reached the ground floor. Feeling fresh air hitting their lungs, the two males calms down instantly. The security outside of the door coughs awkwardly. Hyunseung immediately lets go of Junhyung's face and got up from the ground. Junhyung's feet were too weak to bring him up, resulting in him slipping back down on the floor while trying to stand. Hyunseung quickly held onto his arm and helped him up, walking both of them out of the lift.

“How can you drive like this?”

“...Do you know how to drive?”

“Uhhh...Really slowly...”

“It's okay, I can walk home from here. You can take the car.”

“Ani! I will send you home!”

“...”

“Wae?”

“...I feel really lame now...”

“Shut up, babo.”

---

A/N: I have to officially announce this. I...STUCK AT FLUFF. OTLLLLLL I was writing halfway, I got stuck. I was asking myself... “Errr...if things like this happened irl, how will things flow?” and I'm not... “I HAVE NO IDEA.” HAHAHAHA!!! I haven been watching much romance movies/dramas recently... So... >_> heehee! Don't mind if the fluff is a little overboard or if it is awkward to read. Heh! The ending is weird, but I need it for the next chp. XD kekekeke!

Received a really interesting comment in my PM a while ago. One of my readers asking me, “I know you are a junseung shipper. But you have never once wrote in your fic who is your ultimate bias in BEAST. May I know?” I'm a 두주란 stan. My biases are Dooj&Jun&Seung, in no order. All three of them are my #1. XD I love all six boys equally, just that I have a thing for 89liners. XD hahaha!

Next chapter preview: Kiwoon are being further tortured?! Who were the ones who helped this couple out in their relationship? Junhyung brought Hyunseung back home??? What are the seven boys in DUSK going to do now that Hyunseung have accepted Junhyung? Stay tuned! :P