Chapter 19

Shadows of the Dark

Dongwoon and Gikwang sat down stiffen on the dining table. Dongwoon was shifting his legs under the table from the moment he sat down. Noticing his lover's anxiety, Gikwang placed his hand on Dongwoon's knee and squeezed it lightly with a warm smile on his lips. Dongwoon placed his hands over the one his knee, but he couldn't bear to smile back.

Dongwoon's umma who was sitting opposite, saw their interaction, coughed to catch their attentions. Gikwang turned to look at her and smiled to her.

“Gikwang-goon...right?”

Gikwang nodded softly. Dongwoon tighten his grip on Gikwang's hand with a grim look. The latter rubbed his thumb over his lover's lap softly to assure him it's all right.

“Ummm...Gikwang-goon, what is your r-relationship with my son...?”

“...Ahjunma, I know you have your concerns about us. I would like to ask you to let me clarify some things about myself. Is that okay with you?”

Gikwang asked in a really formal tone that Dongwoon doesn't like how things are going. He was gripping onto Gikwang's hand so hard that his knuckles are turning white. Son umma nodded her head slowly. Gikwang took a deep breath before looking at Dongwoon with a small smile.

“I know your family is really strict on your beliefs. I am a strong believer myself too. But I can't change things that I'm born with. I tried turning myself to someone I'm not, but I end up hurting people who truly love me. Isn't that a sin too? I tried dating girls in the past, but one by one they left me with nothing but tears and more tears. The guilt built up in me and that's when I know I should just accept myself for who I am. I once hated myself for swinging this way. I hated everyone, I blame my flaws on people around me. But why hate on things that I can't change? Why can't I just accept things that are already set upon birth? Some people are born blind, deaf, mute, but they accept it and are still living happily. Why can't I?”

Gikwang's eyes were starting to collect tears. He took a deep breath and calm himself to stop the tears from dropping. Dongwoon was already tearing, he had never heard Gikwang talk about his past. He have always thought Gikwang was the easy-going kind where his life was nothing but eye smiles. Gikwang turned to look at the only woman in the house.

“Ahjunma, I know you wouldn't accept my relationship with Dongwoon right now. But I just want to let you know, I'm serious with Dongwoon. I can't say I'm of no faults into getting this relationship with Dongwoon. But I don't wish to see this relationship as a crime. When two people are in love, gender shouldn't be the matter. What matters is our true feelings for each other in this relationship. But I understand you wouldn't want your son to be a relationship that go against your beliefs. I will leave if you wants me to.”

Dongwoon grabbed onto Gikwang's hand with both of his and look at him with disbelief. Gikwang just kept his sight forward and refuse to look at Dongwoon.

Forgive me, Dongwoon-ah. I can't let you destroy your life like I did.

Son umma shifted her legs and cross her fingers. She placed her hands in front of and looked like she was in deep thoughts.

“Gikwang-goon... I would like to ask you to give me some time to think this through... And I would like both of you to take a break and think it through too. Do you think this relationship will last? Do you even see the future in this relationship? What will the people around you think when you graduate in the future? The working society is different. Gikwang-goon, I would like to make a daring request... Please don't see my son for the time being.”

“...I...understand.”

Gikwang looked down on his lap. So in the end, he failed. He failed so bad that he couldn't even stay as friends with Dongwoon. A sudden loud bang made Gikwang look up abruptly.

“Umma, you are being ridiculous.”

Gikwang stared with wide eyes. He stood up and held onto Dongwoon's shoulders.

“Woon, don't.”

“No, Kiki, you don't. Umma, I understand you have always been against homouality because it is against our beliefs. But umma, you are even stopping Gikwang from being my friend? Don't you think you are overboard?”

“Dongwoon, you don't speak to me like this. I'm doing this for you. You will be grateful to me.”

“Grateful? For ruining my love life?”

“You...!”

“Dongwoon, stop it!”

“Umma, I will tell you the truth. I am a biual since young. I have always like both ways. But I always chose girls instead because of our beliefs. But umma, I really love Kiki. Do you rather I be unhappy for the rest of my life with some girl that I don't even love?”

“...Dongwoon, get into your room now and we will talk later.”

“...Umma!”

“I SAID GO INSIDE!”

Son umma banged the table with both of her hands and glared at Dongwoon. Gikwang pushed Dongwoon away from the table and towards his room door.

“Dongwoon, listen to her.”

Dongwoon grabbed onto Gikwang's hand with sad eyes. A tear rolled down Gikwang's eyes, he quickly wiped it off and looked smiled.

“I will miss you.”

Gikwang then pulled his hand off Dongwoon's grip and closed his room door. Gikwang bit on his lower lip to stop the sobs. He looked up so that the hot tears would not drop down his cheeks.

“Gikwang-goon, thank you for understanding.”

Son umma was back to sitting on the seat with her face in her hands. Gikwang turned to look at her. He felt a stab in his heart. It was just how it was when he first told his parents about his uality.

“I don't wish for Dongwoon to be like you...I'm sorry...”

Gikwang felt like it was a slap across his face. He slowly bowed to her and walked out of the house. He no longer hold the tears in, he let them flow down his cheeks freely. He cried out loud, clenching onto the aching organ on his chest.

“Dongwoon... Dongwoon, it hurts... Woonie...”

---

“You still have fever, rest now.”

Junhyung placed his palm on Hyunseung's forehead. Hyunseung was smiling like a love stuck fool. He pushed his forehead against the cold palm and sighed happily. Junhyung chuckled and took his head away while arranging Hyunseung's bangs.

“You seem to be in a good mood.”

“Uh hmm~ Don't take your hand away. They are cold, it feels nice.”

Hyunseung took Junhyung's hands and placed them on his heated cheeks. Both of them were lying on the bed under the blanket. Junhyung had made Hyunseung went back to bed after their “mini confession” for one another. But Hyunseung didn't want to sleep alone. So he told Junhyung to sleep with him. Hyunseung snuggled up to Junhyung and presses his forehead on Junhyung's neck. Hyunseung sighed at the cold skin in contact with his heating one.

“Your body is cold against mine... It feels... nice... Mmmm...”

Hyunseung was drifting off to sleep. Junhyung pushed off the hair that was covering Hyunseung's face. He smiled and carressed the sleeping boy's cheeks.

“Am I really allowed to love you? Do you dislike it when I told you I love you?”

“...Mmmm...Love...Jun...love...you...”

“...You...Sighs, how are you a human being? You are a devil in disguise. Even when you sleep, you are able stir up my heart so effortlessly...”

Junhyung sighed and rested his chin on top of Hyunseung's head. Hyunseung unconsciously snuggled nearer to him and hugged him. Junhyung smiled and slowly fell asleep too.

A few hours later, Geurim knocked on Hyunseung's door. Hyunseung stirred in his sleep, burying his face deeper into Junhyung's chest. Junhyung woke up by his movements and jumped when he saw Geurim in the room, smiling at them.

“Shhh...Oppa is still sleeping...”

Junhyung looked down to see a deep frown between Hyunseung's brows. He pressed on them to smooth them and let him continue sleeping. He lightly pressed his palm on Hyunseung's forehead to check on his temperature.

“His fever is gone...”

“That's great, and it seems that everything is well too, right?”

Junhyung smiled and nodded his head. He pushed off the strand of hair covering Hyunseung's eyes slowly.

“Thank you, Geurim.”

“I'm just doing what I think was right for Oppa.”

Geurim smiled back. Junhyung slowly unwrapped Hyunseung's hands that were around him. Hyunseung whined and woke up slowly.

“J-jun...?”

Hyunseung rubbed his face against his pillow to clear his mind. He stretched and made a soft mewl.

“Are you feeling better?”

Hyunseung smiled and nodded at Junhyung. He turned to see Geurim standing by the door.

“Geurim-ah, why are you standing there?”

“Oppa, it's good to see you smiling again.”

Geurim smiled happily at her oppa. She was glad and relieved that she made the right choice. She walked to Hyunseung and hugged him tightly.

“Stay happy, oppa.”

She whispered softly into Hyunseung's ear. The oldest in the room smiled and patted her head.

“I will. Thank you.”

Junhyung's phone suddenly rang. He mouthed an apology before getting to the corner of the room and picked the call.

“Deh, hyung...How did you...Deh...He is all right now...Eh?...A-ah...But...”

Junhyung turned and look at Hyunseung. Hyunseung stared back at Junhyung with confusion.

“Ah, hyung! H-hyung...! ...Aish...he ended the call...”

Junhyung face palmed and ended the call. The siblings looked at him, while waiting for him to fill them up with what exactly happened.

“U-uh...”

“What happened? Was that Heechul-ssi?”

“Yeah...He...Ummm...Hyunseungie, are you free tonight?”

Hyunseung suppressed his smile as he heard the pet name Junhyung just gave him. He looked at Geurim.

“Is Zi coming over later?”

“Don't worry, Oppa. I told him not to come over today because you were having a fever. I will just call him later to tell him all the good news~”

“Yah, don't exaggerate things, araso?”

“Deh~”

“So...it seems, I'm free.”

“I'm sorry for asking so suddenly... Heechul hyung wants me to bring you over tonight... But you just got better, so if you want to stay at home, I un-”

“Ani, I want to go. Can I?”

“...Really...? Of course you can if you want...”

Hyunseung nodded his head earnestly. He frankly did start to miss that place after his first visit. The warmth feeling when he was there, the smiles on everyone's lips are so sincere without any masks covering up their faces. It gives off a different sense of belonging when he was at Neverland.

Hyunseung got dressed up as Junhyung called back home to tell his parents that he will be back for dinner.

“Umma, I'm going over to Heechul hyung's place for dinner with a friend of mine.”

“Sure, since Yongguk is not coming back for dinner too, I will go out with your dad for dinner.”

“Hmmmm...A date?”

“Aish, you cheeky boy. How old are we to have a date? Tch. Hahaha.”

“Hmmmm~ My umma is forever young~ Ani, my dongsaeng is forever young~”

“Aish, you sweet talker. Have fun there, send my regards to Heechul.”

“Sure umma~”

Junhyung ended the call and suddenly thought of something. Oh, I forgot to tell Hyunseung that he is back in Korea already...I will tell him later.

Junhyung turned back just in time to see Hyunseung walking out of his room. Hyunseung's cheeks are still a little pale and his eyes looked tired. Junhyung walked towards him and smiled at him.

“You sure you want to go? You still look tired.”

“I'm okay. Besides, isn't Neverland a place of love? I will get healed there.”

Hyunseung smiled cutely. Junhyung grinned at the cute face Hyunseung was making. He used his hand to cover his lips and faked a cough.

“All right, let's go then?”

Junhyung tilted his head. Hyunseung nodded and hugged Geurim before leaving the house. It was already dinner time when the two of them reach Neverland. Heechul was the one to welcome them at the door of the restaurant. Once Heechul saw Hyunseung, he hugged him tightly. Hyunseung flinched a little as he was not used to getting so much physically contact with someone when he is not in DUSK.

“Ahhhhh, you came! I thought you wouldn't want to come anymore... I don't see you coming...”

Heechul pouted. Junhyung saw the flinch and pulled Heechul off Hyunseung.

“Hyung, Hyunseung is sick, don't do that to him.”

“Aish~ It's not like he is yours yet, I can still touch him~”

Hyunseung blushed at the comment. Junhyung pushed Heechul away and told him to give them a table. Junhyung turned back to give Hyunseung a smile. Both of them walked towards the table that Heechul brought them to and sat down. Hangeng placed a cup of red tea in front of Hyunseung and a cup of coke in front of Junhyung.

“Jun said you are sick? We don't have much warm beverages here, but red tea should be all right for you.”

Hangeng smiled to Hyunseung warmly. Hyunseung nodded and thank him for his concern. He rarely drinks warm beverages since he have always been in DUSK and he would only drink alcohols there. He carefully took the cup up and took a slip. The tea rolls down his throat and warms his tummy. It felt nice. Junhyung had his hand under his chin and was looking at how Hyunseung was enjoying his drink. When Hyunseung noticed Junhyung's gaze, he blushed and placed his cup down.

“Yah, why are you looking at me like that?”

“You look like you are really enjoying that cup of tea.”

“It's really nice.”

“Good to see that you are enjoying yourself here...”

“Wh-”

“Hyung?”

Just when Hyunseung was about to speak, another guy's voice called out to Junhyung. Both of the guys turned back to look at the source of the voice. Both of them froze when they saw the two person standing by the entrance of the restaurant.

Y-yongguk...Himchan...

Hyunseung trembled at the sight. He quickly turned back to face Junhyung, in hope that Yongguk didn't see him. Hyunseung was sitting with his back facing the entrance. But unlucky for Hyunseung, the couple had already walked towards them. Junhyung reached his hand out to brush his thumb on the back of Hyunseung's hand. Hyunseung looked up to see a sad smiling expression on Junhyung's face.

“I'm sorry, I didn't know he will come here today...”

Hyunseung shook his head. When he was about to say something, Yongguk had already walked to the front of their table. Hyunseung stiffened and avert his eyes down to his cup of tea. Yongguk and Himchan have yet to notice him.

“Hyung, you came here too! Such a coincidence! Himchan was saying that he misses Heenim so we decided to come here for dinner.”

Himchan noticed Junhyung's hand on Hyunseung and a smile creeped up his lips.

“Yongie, let's go. We are disturbing Junhyung hyung's date.”

“Eh?”

Himchan then pointed to Junhyung's hand. Yongguk gave Junhyung a knowing look and nodded his head.

“Hyung, you didn't tell me... Hmmmm~ Umma would like this news~”

“Yah, don't talk nonsense... He is...”

Junhyung tapped on Hyunseung's hand to make him look up.

“You promised me to be strong, remember?”

Junhyung slipped his hand forward and brushed on Hyunseung's wrist tattoo. Hyunseung slowly lifted his head up to look at Junhyung, then turned to look at Yongguk and Himchan. The couple was stunned at first. Himchan then regained himself and pulled Hyunseung into a tight hug.

“Oh my god. Oh my god, Hyunseung. Hyunseung, it's you. It's you. We finally found you!”

Hyunseung froze, not knowing whether to hug back or not. He didn't have to courage to push him away too. Yongguk was still too shocked to react until Himchan shook him.

“Yah! Don't be a block there, it's Seungie!”

Himchan pulled him towards Hyunseung. Hyunseung avoided Yongguk's eyes and looked at Junhyung. Junhyung smiled back at him with reassuring eyes telling him, “You can do it, you are doing it well now.”.

“Seung...”

Hyunseung flinched when Yongguk moved closer to him. Junhyung stood up and wanted to let Yongguk take his seat when Hyunseung held onto his hand tightly. He shook his head at Junhyung, eyes conveying a message of telling him not to leave him with Yongguk. Junhyung smiled softly and placed a kiss on Hyunseung's hand.

“Remember your promise, you can do it. I'm not going anywhere, I will still be here. Have a chat with Yongguk.”

Junhyung ruffled Hyunseung's head. Hyunseung slowly let go of Junhyung's hand but still not willing to let go of his gaze. Junhyung smiled and hooked his arm over Himchan's shoulder to take him to the table behind them.

“Seung... How are you this past year?”

“....”

“Seung...”

“...I-I'm...sorry...”

“Seung, what happened in the past is already the past. Let bygones be bygones, Seung-ah. My life has been good this whole year. My legs are fine. Although I can't dance anymore, but I have been writing for the whole year. Did hyung tell you? I even had an album in Japan.”

“...”

Hyunseung kept looking at his cup with no intention of looking up at Yongguk. The younger boy sighed and pulled the cup towards him.

“Ah-...”

Hyunseung wanted to pull the cup back, but his eyes that looked up, met with Yongguk's. He was stunned by the looks of the eyes. He was smiling at him. Hyunseung have always thought Yongguk still hates him for what happened. Hyunseung have never dare to wish for the day where Yongguk would forgive him.

“Seung, I don't blame you anymore. It was an accident. Do you know how hard Himchan and I have been looking for you this whole year? Junhyung hyung refuses to tell me about your whereabouts because he kept telling me you are not prepared to meet me yet. But Seung, I want to tell you, Himchan and I have never blamed you. I know I was harsh when I was in the hospital, but...but I was out of my mind. Dancing was my passion, but it was suddenly taken away from me. But it doesn't matter now, because I found my new passion.”

“...Re-really...? It's okay to forgive me...?”

“Seung, I forgive you. Himchan forgives you too...”

Yongguk covered Hyunseung's hand with his. Hyunseung looked into Yongguk's eyes and finally, a small smile formed on his lips. Himchan came screaming and hugging Hyunseung tightly into his embrace.

“I miss you soooooooo much, Seungie!”

“...Thank you, Himchan-ah...”

Yahhhh...I'm not used to you being so hostile...”

Himchan acted a cute sad face and Hyunseung chuckled lightly. Junhyung came over and pulled Hyunseung's hand away from Yongguk's.

“Yah yah yah, watch what you are touching, Yongguk.”

“Seung, since when you and my hyung...?”

Yongguk gave Himchan a cheeky smile. Himchan nudged Hyunseung and gave him a cheeky smile too. Hyunseung looked at them shyly and looked towards Junhyung. However, Junhyung's smile seemed a little forced and Hyunseung wonder why...

---

A/N: IM DONEEEEE. Omg I hate writer's blocker. It's a big big big big er. It's even bigger den the biggest on earth! Opps, what did I just say? XD hahahaha!!! XD anyway, Im trying to speed up things for SOTD because sch is starting end of this month and I want to end this fic in a few more chps! :) maybe 5 more? XD kekekeke! :D Thanks for reading! :D

A little leak for the next chapter: What will be the next obstacle for Junseung? Is it related to the reason why Jun was forcing a smile? Is it disturbed by the fact that Yongguk was talking to Seung or Himchan hugging Seung? Seung found a weakness of Jun, what is this weakness exactly?

There wouldn't be any Kiwoon or Dooseob next chapter, it will be a full Junseung chapter! :)