Still Water

Storm's Drabbles

I'll start off my first post with an assignment I had to do for writing class.
Every class we have 20 minutes to write
something and usually there's a prompt.

 

Waves gently rolled onto the shore as the sun began to dip behind the shadowed mountains. The sky was painted with different shades of orange, pink, blue, and purple. It was an atmospheric calm.

I walked along the well-worn dock and halted at the end; my toes peeking over the edge. Although the air was calm and even welcoming I couldn't help the rising panic in my chest. My heart began to race and my palms began to sweat. Water wasn't a thing to be feared. However, stories of drownings and mythological beats lurking below weren't exactly settling. Finally, with a deep breath; I stepped off and plunged into the murky water below.

My feet broke the water first, followed by the rest of my body. The panic that I had felt above was now nearly overwhelming and I flailed this way and that; trying to reach the surface. When I felt like I was going to run out of air I broke free and inhaled. Now that I was above the water the fear slowly subsided but it was very much still there.

I grew calmer as I began to tread water. I knew how to swim; I just preferred the comfort of clear pool water rather than the ominous dark water of the lake. I was still afraid, however, but it grew worse as I felt something brush against my leg. I let out a startled yelp and kicked out. Then, something brushed against me again. Once more, but this time I grabbed a hold of my ankle. A cold, unwelcomed hand grasped onto my ankle and with a rough tug, pulled me beneath the surface. Panic kicked in again as I fought and kicked with all my strength, but the hold didn’t let go. My energy was running out and my lungs screamed for oxygen, and suddenly– darkness. Shadows washed over me like a wave.

Then, I was on the dock, peering over the edge at the merciless water below. The water was still and I wondered what I would find at the bottom.