Epilogue

Tôt ou tard (it's time to move on)

 

It's only 2000 words~

thanks for reading!


 

Chanyeol nervously shifts his body weight from one foot to another, his hands clasped in front of him, making him look a little more demure than he usually is. He hasn't been this nervous since the announcement of promotions at work, and that had been a year ago, but Chanyeol is certain that this is one of the most important day of his life. 

 

He has been coming by the orphanage for the past two years since the separation. The first few months after the separation had been one of the worst times in his life. Knowing that Baekhyun wasn't doing any better threatened any resolve in him but before he went over the edge, he'd always pull himself back and convince himself that this was for the best. That if they wanted to heal the wounds Bae's departure inflicted on them, they would have to be apart for Baekhyun needed the space to heal on his own. To let time do it's job. 

 

Kyungsoo had had enough of his moping one day and had dragged him to the orphanage in an attempt to distract him from Baekhyun's absence. It had worked. Chanyeol loved kids, and those at the orphanage were sweethearts. Soon, it became routine for him to drop by every weekend and play with the kids there. He knew all their names, and everyone found it easy to talk to him despite the huge age difference.

 

There was one, however, who had caught his attention from his first visit to the home. He was a quiet boy, a little too scrawny for his age, with a pale complexion. His small eyes, however, were bright and inquisitive, though he often hid them behind the bangs of his dark brown hair. Chanyeol knew the moment he saw the boy sitting all alone in the corner of the room, heavily engrossed in the book while the other children played away from him, that he would one day be the one to put a smile on the boy's face. For the boy had reminded him of Baekhyun when they had first met.

 

It was weeks before the boy, whose name Chanyeol learned to be that of Jae Hyun, finally opened up to the strange tall man with a kind heart. Chanyeol will never forget their first conversation. After countless attempts at trying to get the boy to speak, Jae Hyun finally uttered his first sentence, said with blunt honesty: You have really weird looking ears, mister.

 

Chanyeol had laughed, his eyes strangely prickling with tears, because it was one of the first few things Baekhyun had said to him as well. Though Chanyeol gave the little girls horse rides and effectively became the green power ranger (the least favourite amongst them) when playing pretend-fight with the boys. But when they're all distracted by Mrs. Lee's, the caretaker, cookies during tea time, Chanyeol would slip into the library and sit with Jae Hyun who would explain to him about something new he learnt during one of his readings -- be it an interesting fact about the human body or an episode of Sherlock Holmes -- and the seven-year-old boy would never fail to smile with great enthusiasm as he does so.

 

It was only a month ago when he had introduced his plans to Jae Hyun. At first, Jae Hyun wasn't too keen on the idea, but the next time Chanyeol came around, the boy had been the one to timidly tap on Chanyeol's arm, and with a soft voice, he had uttered the one word Chanyeol had been waiting to hear. 

 

"Okay."

 

 

Chanyeol's lips pull into a smile when Jae Hyun stepped out of the room with his bagpack on his shoulders, looking too big on the boy's narrow shoulders. Chanyeol held a hand out and Jae Hyun took tentative steps towards him before nervously grabbing onto Chanyeol's hand when he was within reach. The rest of the kids were sad to see Jae Hyun leave, although they had never really been close to the reserved boy, but Chanyeol assured them that he come by with Jae Hyun whenever they had the time. 

 

Jae Hyun was silent the whole ride back home to Chanyeol's apartment, only answering Chanyeol's questions with a "yes" or "no" and the occasional shake of the head. Chanyeol could tell that Jae Hyun was just overwhelmed by his new surroundings, but he was determined to make Jae Hyun feel comfortable, just as he had been around Chanyeol the past few months.

 

"Don't be afraid, Jae Hyunnie. This is your home now," Chanyeol says as he helps Jae Hyun take his bag into his new room. The blue wallpaper had long made way for a bright pastel yellow that brightens up the room, even on the darkest of days. Chanyeol is a little disappointed with himself at how bare the room suddenly looks, although he swore it looked perfect just days ago when he had moved in all the minimal furniture.

 

"I know it's not much, but you could decorate it with whatever you want," Chanyeol sheepishly says as he rubs the back of his neck with a hand. Jae Hyun turns to look at Chanyeol with that inquisitive look he always has when talking about his stories.

 

"Can I... can I have some glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceiling?" Jae Hyun asks in a timid voice.

 

"You can have the whole solar system up there if you want to," Chanyeol assures him, pleased that Jae Hyun isn't as disappointed as he thought the boy would be.

 

"Can I draw on the walls?" Jae Hyun asks. Chanyeol had expected this. Jae Hyun's other hobby is drawing, and Chanyeol was pretty impressed when Jae Hyun first showed his artwork. Having found out about it, Chanyeol had left the wall beside the bed free of any furniture so that Jae Hyun could decorate it however he wanted.

 

"Only if you give me a hug," Chanyeol teasingly says. Jae Hyun doesn't waste any time in setting his bag on the bed and scurrying over to Chanyeol, running straight into Chanyeol's outstretched arms. Chanyeol is unable to wipe the smile on his face when he feels Jae Hyun's short arms wrapping themselves tightly around his torso.

 


 

A month later, Chanyeol finds himself standing in front of the Arrival Hall of the airport. If it weren't for Jae Hyun's warm hold on his hand, Chanyeol knows he would have freaked out long ago and probably run back home. But he was anticipating the return of someone who once meant the world to him, someone who still does despite it being two long years. 

 

Crowds of people start to stream through the automated glass doors minutes later. Chanyeol strains his neck, keeping a lookout for the face that would send his heart fluttering. Jae Hyun does the same, copying his father's action, although it didn't help much since he was a good few heads shorter than Chanyeol.

 

 

And then he saw him. 

 

His hair is dyed a nice brown, lightly curled but nicely sitting in all the right places. His slender fingers curl around the strap of his sling bag, the other hand pulling his suitcase along. Finally, after a minute, his searching eyes finally meet Chanyeol's. The corners of his thin lips pull up into a small smile as he makes his way over to the duo, weaving through the sea of people.

 

"Hi," Baekhyun greets, eyes never leaving Chanyeol's.

 

"Hey," Chanyeol manages a reply despite the sudden dryness in his throat. 

 

"I thought my mum was picking me up," Baekhyun says with a light tinkle of laughter. The melodious sound travels to Chanyeol's perked ears and the latter lets out an internal sigh of content of having fulfilled his yearning to hear it once more.

 

"She told me your flight details so I could be the one to do so," Chanyeol explains. Over the past few years of their separation, they had only talked over the phone a few times, exchanging news of their well-being, but Chanyeol finds that talking to Baekhyun is still as easy as before. Baekhyun makes it easy. Even though Baekhyun had been thousands of miles away from him, staying with his aunt in the States to heal, Chanyeol always found himself easing into the conversations they shared over the phone -- just like Baekhyun had never left.

 

"Oh," Baekhyun says, but then adds quietly, "I'm glad she did; I'm glad you came."

 

Baekhyun's cheeks are tinted red and Chanyeol starts to contemplate on kissing the boy, when Baekhyun suddenly closes the gap between them, standing even closer.

 

"I'm much better, Yeol," Baekhyun whispers, and the noise around them drowns out, as if a wall has surrounded them both. "I really am. And I've missed you."

 

Before he knows it, Baekhyun has a hand around his neck and is pulling him down to unceremoniously crash their lips together, the fact that it's been awhile since they've kissed (each other, or anyone for that matter) blatantly obvious in the way their lips move sloppily in an awkward rhythm. Baekhyun breaks off, quite embarrassed of the less than perfect kiss. He finds that doesn't have to voice it out, though, because Chanyeol could tell from a look.

 

"It's perfect. You're perfect, always," Chanyeol breathes, still trying to catch his breath after Baekhyun had kissed him senseless. They share a smile, with Chanyeol getting lost in Baekhyun's eyes, till Chanyeol feels something tugging at his hand.

 

"Oh, Baek!" Chanyeol gestures towards Jae Hyun. "This is Jae Hyun. The boy I told you about."

 

"Oh my god," Baekhyun mutters, the redness creeping up behind his ears now, "I'm so sorry you had to see that, Jae Hyun."

 

"It's okay, Baekhyun hyung. Chanyeol hyung told me a lot about you. And he always tells me how much he loves you. And if two people are in love, it's normal for them to kiss, right?" Jae Hyun says as a matter-of-factly. Chanyeol chuckles at how flustered Baekhyun has become. It's when Baekhyun is busy hitting Chanyeol on the shoulder as the latter continues to laugh at Baekhyun's blunder, when Jae Hyun quietly removes his hand from Chanyeol's hold and takes a step forward to wrap his arms around Baekhyun's torso.

 

Baekhyun looks down at Jae Hyun and Chanyeol's laughter ceases as he glances at the boy.

 

"Thank you for coming back and making Chanyeol hyung very happy, Baekhyun hyung," Jae Hyun mumbles into the fabric of Baekhyun's coat. Baekhyun is hesitant at first, but the warm  fuzzy feeling spreading through him is enough courage for him to return the hug as he looks to Chanyeol who joins in, effectively making it a group hug. A family embrace.

 

"Welcome home, Baekhyun."

 


tiny epilogue to the epilogue 

( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
 

 

 

 

 

 

"Yeol, stop it, it tickles!"

 

"Then you better agree to go on a date with Jae Hyun and I!"

 

"But I have--ahh!-- work-- HAHA-- to do," Baekhyun says in between laughter as his husband mercilessly attacks him at his weak spots. 

 

"Work can wait. We want to spend some time with you. I want to spend time with you," Chanyeol pouts, ceasing his tickling and holding Baekhyun in a tight-hold, his lanky frame hovering over Baekhyun's smaller form on the couch. Jae Hyun suddenly emerges from, a wide grin plastered across his face and the guitar Chanyeol had bought him for his eighth birthday in his arms. Chanyeol had taught him a few songs to play, and Jae Hyun had been quick to pick it up.

 

"Appa! I did it! I can play Love Song on the guitar!" Jae Hyun exclaims in adorable excitement. Both Baekhyun and Chanyeol freeze at Jae Hyun's words.

 

"What did you say?" Chanyeol asks, gaping in disbelief.

 

"I can play Love Song!"

 

"No, no, before that," Baekhyun says, propping himself up on his elbows.

 

"Appa..." Jae Hyun repeats in a small voice. Chanyeol grins as he moves into a sitting position on the couch, Baekhyun following suit. Jae Hyun had been addressing both of them as hyung and Chanyeol and Baekhyun had been more than willing to wait until the boy was ready to look up to them as parents. And honestly, it's one of the best moments of their lives. To hear the boy they had adopted as their son, the boy they had showered with unconditional love, call them his fathers.

 

"I want to call Chanyeol hyung appa, and Baekhyun hyung daddy. Is it okay?"

 

Chanyeol glances at Baekhyun, noticing that he was struggling to keep his happy tears at bay. 

 

"Of course you can, Jae Hyunnie." Chanyeol beckons for the boy. "Come here and give us a kiss."

 

Jae Hyun stumbles towards them and leans over his guitar to give both Chanyeol and Baekhyun a peck on the cheek each.

 

"Why don't you play for us the song?" Chanyeol suggests, to which Jae Hyun eagerly seats himself on the adjacent armchair and starts to strum to the song, struggling a little in the beginning before getting into it.

 

Chanyeol turns to see Baekhyun wiping at a stray tear, his lips trembling despite the smile on his face. He scoots over and gently pulls Baekhyun into his arms.

 

"Jae Hyunnie is really our new beginning, isn't he?" Baekhyun says thickly, looking up to meet Chanyeol's gaze.

 

"He is." Chanyeol agrees, leaning down to place a chaste kiss to Baekhyun's lips. Baekhyun turns once more and proudly watches their son perform for them.

 

Chanyeol, however, can't bring himself to tear his gaze from Baekhyun whose wide smile have turned his eyes into half-moons.

 

 

 

 

 

His eyes have never sparkled as brightly as they do now.

 


 

le fin~