Chapter 3

The Plan

Himchan groaned and stretched after he left the car. He glanced up at the building where they’d be having a radio interview and inwardly sighed. All the way here Daehyun had been whispering in his ear, discussing with him what they should reply to certain questions so that it wouldn’t interfere with their plan. Or, well, Daehyun’s plan, as Himchan still called it in his head. He wondered how much thought the younger had actually put into his idea, because he had been the one to point out that it might be a good idea to mention the people they actually wanted instead of only each other. After all, what good would it do otherwise? Daehyun had only begrudgingly agreed, perhaps because he had been staring at Youngjae at the time, annoyed because the other was trying to cuddle an exasperated Junhong.

 

He had a sinking feeling the next six months would consist of Daehyun and him flirting it up, Youngjae running to Junhong to do the same, and Yongguk being completely oblivious to everything around him. Perhaps Daehyun had deducted correctly after all, and he had to admit it was worrying to see the younger boy as the smartest one in this situation.

 

“You okay?”

 

Startled, Himchan turned his head, only to be faced with a concerned Yongguk. He smiled involuntarily, wishing the rapper didn’t have such an influence on him, but knowing he wouldn’t really want it to be any different. He realised he had been standing and thinking for quite some time, the other members already far ahead of them, and he nodded swiftly to indicate that he was just fine.

 

Yongguk furrowed his eyebrows. “You sure?”

 

Ah, that was his Yongguk: always amazing with words. How he wrote the words to their songs was a mystery Himchan would probably never understand, though he supposed there was a difference between speaking and writing. He himself was better at interviews than Yongguk, for example, but the one time he had attempted writing lyrics he had been more than happy that no one knew what he had been up to, because they were complete rubbish.

 

“I’m sure,” Himchan replied, grinning to show he meant it. “Just a bit tired, I guess. And thinking.”

 

“About what?” Yongguk asked as he gently grabbed Himchan by the elbow so they could start walking to the building, his hand lingering around Himchan’s wrist when the visual walked along.

 

Himchan bit his lip, sure that goosebumps were appearing everywhere Yongguk touched him. He shrugged when he realised he hadn’t answered Yongguk’s question yet. “Things like the upcoming tour. This will be the first time I’ll be part of it the entire time, and it’s a bit scary.” He grinned sheepishly as he said the last words. It was true, too: on top of everything else, he was genuinely worried about the next few months. Excited, of course, and he was definitely looking forward to it, but he hadn’t experienced a full tour like the rest of them had yet. Not to mention how anxious he was that he’d get into another accident, that he’d somehow fall down the stairs while staring at Yongguk for too long, or something equally stupid and embarrassing.

 

Yongguk smiled sympathetically and squeezed his shoulder. “You’ll be fine. You’re meant to be on stage, and the rest of us will look out for you.” He grinned when Himchan snorted at that. “I will, at least. We’re all happy you get to perform with us from the start, you know. We missed you last time.”

 

Too distracted and flustered to really pay attention to where he was going, Himchan stumbled over his own feet. Apparently his worries about accidents weren’t completely unwarranted, then. His cheeks heated up at Yongguk’s chuckling and, pouting, he shoved the other away from him.

 

By the time they finally reached the rest of the group, it was time to be ushered inside. As they sat down, Himchan replayed the earlier conversation with Yongguk to himself and bit down hard on his bottom lip so he wouldn’t break out into a wide grin. Honestly, who could blame him for having fallen for the other? He did these small things that always managed to make Himchan feel special.

 

A nudge to his side made him tune back in to the interview, and he blinked at the DJ apologetically. “I’m sorry, could you repeat that?” he asked, scratching his head.

 

The DJ smiled, not seeming to mind too much. “As I said: your new song is called 1004, or Angel. Which of the members do you think resembles one the most?”

 

“Yongguk,” Himchan replied automatically. He tried to cover up his blush with a grin when he saw how everyone was staring at him and started to explain himself with a generally acceptable reason. “He’s very kind and tries his best to make the world a better place. He got all of us to be more involved in charity work and even the fans have joined in. I think his good influence is what sets him apart.”

 

From the corner of his eyes, he could see Daehyun’s lips twitching as he suppressed the urge to laugh, and on his other side he saw Yongguk with his head lowered, as always terrible at accepting compliments. Himchan could have gone on and on, though, because there were so many ways in which Yongguk was dear to him. His good heart, how he put others before himself, and of course the way he made him feel, how much he had done for him, meant to him. But that would probably be too much to say on radio.

 

“And you, Yongguk, who is the most angelic in your eyes?” the DJ now asked the rapper.

 

Himchan stared down at the table as they all waited for Yongguk’s reply, but his heart sank when he finally heard the answer.

 

“Probably Jongup. He’s very innocent and pure and even his nickname fits.”

 

Of course, their Moon Angel. Himchan felt disappointed, but it was true that Jongup was one of the sweetest things he had ever seen and he himself loved him like a little brother. So it only made sense for Yongguk to choose him. Not that this did anything to make Himchan feel any better, but it was his own fault for getting his hopes up again. He liked to blame Jongup, but it was impossible to be annoyed with the boy, and blaming Yongguk was useless, because he had no idea.

 

He felt a hand lightly squeeze his thigh before it disappeared, and he knew Daehyun, at least, had noticed his disappointment.

 

“For me, I think Youngjae looks the most like an angel recently,” the vocalist suddenly spoke up from beside Himchan. “He was always good-looking, but he got more attractive recently and it’s difficult not to look at him, isn’t it?”

 

The DJ, a female, smiled and nodded, while Youngjae’s ears were turning red noticeably.

 

“And he’s my best friend, so of course that makes him important to me,” Daehyun continued, grinning charmingly at the DJ. “But recently Himchan and I have been getting closer too and I’ve noticed that he’s always looking out for us. He’s more selfless than you’d think.”

 

Himchan wasn’t sure if he should be flattered or insulted by that last comment, but he appreciated the effort. He flashed the other boy a grin and placed a hand on his shoulder. “Ah, it’s just that Daehyunnie is very easy to love,” he laughed, feeling Yongguk tense up on his other side.

 

The DJ giggled before changing the subject. To what, Himchan didn’t know. He was too intrigued by Yongguk’s reaction.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

 

After the interview had ended Daehyun was one of the first to step outside. He thought it had gone fairly well, with no uncomfortable questions. Except for the angel one, of course, but he liked to think he had handled that quite well. He had intended to talk more about Youngjae, but seeing the crestfallen look on Himchan’s face had made him change his mind. Besides, Himchan had helped him out a few times, so who was he not to do the same in return?

 

“I didn’t realise you and Himchan were best buddies all of a sudden.”

 

Daehyun looked to the side and saw Youngjae next to him, looking both annoyed and curious. He was confused, because hadn’t the other basically accused him of being too close to Himchan earlier? People said Himchan was a difficult person, but clearly they had never met Youngjae. Then again, those two could probably give each other a run for their money. He briefly pictured what it’d be like if those two were to ever date each other, but pushed the image away quickly, for a multitude of reasons.

 

“Well, since I’m not your best friend, I thought I’d find someone who would see me that way,” he finally replied coolly.

 

Youngjae opened and closed his mouth a few times before sighing deeply. “You know I didn’t mean it that way,” he mumbled.

 

Daehyun rolled his eyes, trying not to take pity on the other. “How else could you mean it?”

 

“It’s just… Of course you’re my best friend.” Youngjae fell silent, looking thoughtful, like he wasn’t sure how to explain himself.

 

“But you’d rather it be Zelo?” Daehyun offered when he had had enough of waiting for a reply.

 

“What? No, of course not, he’s a baby!” Youngjae answered, completely flabbergasted. “He’s cute, but he’s like a kid brother. I don’t think I could talk to him about the same things I can talk about to you.”

 

“So if he were older-”

 

“No!”

 

Youngjae’s outburst startled them both, and Daehyun was sure the other members were staring at them right now, though he didn’t care to look. Instead he focused fully on Youngjae, curious what he had to say.

 

“No,” Youngjae repeated, softer now. “You’ll always be my best friend, Dae. You’re just not my only friend.”

 

They stared at each other for a while. Daehyun really wanted to ask why Youngjae had been treating him this way then, but he wasn’t sure the other would even answer. If there was one thing Youngjae was good at, it was at avoiding questions he didn’t like. And maybe he was better off not knowing anyway. At least he now knew the other did care about him in some way, which was good enough for now.

 

They walked back to the van in silence, lingering at the back of the group. Daehyun caught Himchan looking back at them once or twice and knew he’d have to tell him everything later, although he wasn’t sure what to say. Because, really, what had actually happened? He was only more confused than he had been before.

 

He had seen Yongguk and Himchan talking earlier, before the interview, and hoped things had gone a little better between them. You know, until Yongguk’s stupidity later on during the programme, when Daehyun hadn’t been sure if he wanted to slap himself out of frustration or Yongguk to knock some sense into him.

 

“Hey, Youngjae?” Daehyun suddenly asked.

 

The other looked at him questioningly, looking adorable enough that Daehyun wished he could kiss him right then and there. It shouldn’t be allowed for anyone to look like that, he decided. He wasn’t even sure which was worse: the sweet, squishy Youngjae, or the y and confident one he had turned into lately. Shaking the thought away (it would probably only lead to uncomfortable situations), he voiced what had come to mind.

 

“Who would you have chosen as an angel?”

 

Youngjae grinned cheekily and shook his head. “No, too late. The interview is over.”

 

“But you never got to answer,” Daehyun protested. “Come on, I won’t tell anyone else if you don’t want me to.” When Youngjae shook his head again, he frowned. “If I’m really your best friend, you’ll tell me right now.”

 

All he got as reply to that was a laugh and then Youngjae was crawling into the van, seating himself next to Jongup. Daehyun sighed and sat down beside Junhong, trying not to feel bitter towards him and feeling guilty when the maknae smiled at him brightly. He really was a baby. A very tall baby who was growing up quickly, and one who’d end up stealing even more of their fans’ hearts when he’d turn into an adult, but a baby nonetheless. He could understand why Youngjae called him a kid brother: he was going to grow up well, for sure, but to them he’d probably always be that young boy they debuted with.

 

Youngjae suddenly turned around and looked straight into Daehyun’s eyes, making the older vocalist shift in his seat as he wondered what to expect now. “He’s in the back row,” was all Youngjae said before turning back to talk to Jongup about god knows what.

 

Daehyun blinked, wondering what on earth that was all about, until he remembered what he had asked Youngjae earlier. He started to smile when he realised he was in the back row of the van, but when he remembered who was next to him, he frowned. That had done absolutely nothing to answer his question, and judging from the grin Youngjae threw him over his shoulder seconds later, the other knew this too. ing tease.

 

Still, he was slowly getting somewhere. And, if he wasn’t wrong, Youngjae was throwing him some hints that were hopeful enough. He grinned to himself and happily threw an arm around a very confused Junhong. If all went as planned, Youngjae would be in his place in not too long.

 

 

A/N: Shorter than the other ones; I do apologise. >.> Next chapter will be a little further into the future, so we'll see how their plan will have worked by then. At least Yongguk and Youngjae appeared a bit more this time!

I'm also ridiculously excited that B.A.P are coming over when I can actually go. Just need tickets now! ...And, y'know, travel to Düsseldorf if I manage to get a ticket, a place to stay; all those nice things. XD