Chapter 7

I Can Hear Your Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp-7sBXF5Qc

Lee Wan: Place Without Separation

============================================

Two months passed. Two blissful, happy months.

Within those two heavenly months, the relationship between Jongsuk and Minjoo had blossomed.

They were at a vague stage between friendship and love.

Minjoo admired Jongsuk and was constantly revolving around him like a magnet. She hated to imagine what life would have been like if he hadn’t appeared. She had found a new purpose to live, and that was her miracle Lee Jongsuk.

Jongsuk was already head over heels for Minjoo. There was something about her that made him feel more alive than ever. Whenever he was around her, his heart beat rapidly as if he had taken Espresso shots.

Minjoo raced out of the house and hopped on one foot as she tried to push her sneaker on properly. When her shoe completely fit, she made a man dash for the school. Her eyes were sparkly, and her skin was practically glowing with delight. She hardly recognized herself in the mirror anymore. The dejected, lonely girl was gone, and a happy, loved girl was there. She hoped she would retain this new side of her forever. As long as she had Jongsuk, she believed the smile would remain on her face.

Minjoo saw the black gates of her school and ran faster. She ignored all the insults that were shot at her and focused her eyes on the goal.

On the opposite end, Jongsuk came running. Like her, he was smiling. His heart beat strongly, and each step he took was light and carefree. He spotted Minjoo a few yards away and smiled. She had caught sight of him also and waved her arm. He raised an arm and waved back joyfully.

They met in the center and almost collided into each other.

Minjoo doubled over and tried to catch her shallow breaths. Jongsuk put his hands on his hips and also tried to breathe normally again. Minjoo stood up straight and inhaled deeply as she lifted her gaze up to lock eyes with him. Good morning, Lee Jongsuk. She smiled brightly. The corners of his lips surged upwards. “Good morning, Park Minjoo.”

Minjoo giggled, and Jongsuk broke into a wide grin.

“Let’s go in.” He held out his hand. Beaming, she slapped her hand into his.

Swinging hands, they went inside the school building.

The students were used to the sight of the odd couple, but that didn’t stop them from continuing to bully Minjoo. She was still the easy target of the school. Minjoo and Jongsuk followed their usual routine and headed to her locker first. She paused when she saw white drops oozing out from the slit. She grew befuddled and wondered what the white liquid was. Jongsuk eyed the droplets suspiciously and then glanced at her. Minjoo reached out and paused. She hesitated for half a minute until she put in her combination.

The door popped open, and she opened it widely. She stepped back as more white liquid splashed at her feet. She looked inside her locker in horror. Somebody had squished full milk cartons into her locker. The milk seemed to be rancid as a foul smell crept up her nostrils. My books, she thought, crestfallen. Jongsuk studied her upset expression and softened. He felt bad for her, and he was pissed at whoever had committed such an atrocious act.

Jongsuk shut her locker. “Come on. You can use my locker and books from now on.” He took her hand and led her towards his locker. She looked back and sighed miserably. It would be a while until she could use her locker or books again.

------------

Today’s physical education class was in the gym.

“The physical fitness testing is today! I hope you all are in good physical condition. Don’t forget that your mental awareness should be in good shape as well. Now partner up! We’re going to do sit-ups first. Make sure to remember how many they did so I can record the numbers in the book. Don’t even think of cheating. My helpers will keep an eye on all of you.” The instructor nodded to the college students he had hired.

Jongsuk and Minjoo went to the mats, and she lay down first. He counted as she came up and kept her number in mind. He went down, and she counted each sit-up he did. She tightened her grip around his legs and rested her chin on top of his knees. 21, 22, 23… Jongsuk came up and paused. Her adorable eyes were round, and her lips were set into a cute pout. He just wanted to pinch her cheeks, or better yet, cuddle her tightly.

Minjoo caught him staring and blinked up at him. Is something wrong?

Jongsuk smiled and shook his head. “No.” He went back down, and she continued to count.

Three mats away, Sunah watched them interact. She felt a mix of wrath and envy. That mute girl is so lucky. On the other hand, I want to kill her. Jongsuk was supposed to be mine!

Coincidentally, at that moment, Jongsuk turned his head and caught a glimpse of her mind before she gasped and turned away. His lips curved downwards slightly. Could that girl be any more vile and delusional? I was never hers, and I could never befriend someone so sly. 

Minjoo tapped his shoulder, and Jongusk looked at her. What’s wrong? She asked. The smile spread back on his face, and he shook his head. “It’s nothing.”

When the period was over, the students went to their respective changing rooms. Minjoo zipped the back of her plaid skirt up and smoothed her hair in the mirror. She turned and bumped right into Sunah. “Watch where you’re going! Gosh! Don’t tell me you’re blind now, too!” Sunah dusted her uniform with a disgusted glare. Minjoo put her hands together and mouthed, “I’m sorry.”

Sunah rolled her eyes. She turned to go but stopped and looked back. “Hey, Park Minjoo.”

Minjoo paused and turned back. “Are you sure you’re mute?” Sunah questioned.

Minjoo was confused by the question. What does she mean?

“Maybe you’re pretending to be mute, so that you can appear like a damsel in distress. You can actually talk, can’t you?” Sunah accused. Minjoo shook her head. I wish I could talk. I would never pretend to be something like that. Why is she asking me this suddenly?

“If not, forget it. But I don’t understand why Lee Jongsuk would hang around someone like you. What’s so great about you? You’re nothing. You can’t even talk. You’re not even human. You’re like a baby,” Sunah stated in distaste. Around them, girls snickered. Minjoo’s cheeks turned hot and pink. “I will never understand anyone who befriends you.” Sunah tossed her ponytail back and sauntered away. “Baby, baby. Mute baby.” The girls giggled as they walked away.

Minjoo lowered her head in misery. Great. I have another nickname. With heavy shoulders, she trudged out of the changing room. The bell had rung, and the hallway was filled with students aiming for the cafeteria. Jongsuk was waiting by the door for her. He stood up straight with a smile. “Park Minjoo.” Her head jerked up automatically, and her eyes widened quickly. Oh, no. He’ll be able to read my thoughts and know what happened. She lowered her head at once.

Jongsuk furrowed his eyebrows and frowned.

What was she hiding from him?

“Park Minjoo, look at me.” He touched her shoulder. She refused to look up.

“What can’t I know? What are you keeping from me?” Jongsuk questioned. Minjoo crossed her hands into an X to indicate that she was hiding nothing. Jongsuk whirled around so that he was directly in front of her and touched both her shoulders. He ducked his head to meet her eyes, but she flipped her head in other direction. “Hey, I said look at me.” Jongsuk cupped her chin and lifted her face up.

She held her breath as her gaze locked with his. Don’t think of that. Don’t think of that. Don’t think of that. Her mind chanted over and over again, but her mind betrayed with thoughts about Sunah.

Sunah said all of that to Minjoo? How can anyone be so cruel? She’s more terrible than I thought she was. I’m glad I never befriended her from the start. He straightened up and held out his hand. “Let’s go,” Jongsuk said softly. Minjoo stared wide-eyed at him. You’re not going to scold me?

“Why would I scold you, you fool?” Jongsuk lightly pushed her forehead. With a gentle smile, he guided her to the cafeteria. They got their food and went outside to eat. It’s going to be winter soon. That means we can’t eat outside, Mi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter