Chapter 6

I Can Hear Your Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v0rQ0A3Ukk

Jung Yup: Why Did You Come Now

============================================

Minjoo glued the last quote in her album and smoothed the page with her hands. She smiled with triumph and pride at her collection of quotes. Her eyes roamed over the last quote.

“In the end, you’ll know which people really love you. They’re the ones who see you for who you are and no matter what will always find a way to be at your side.”

It was a miracle, really. This quote was like a prophecy, and the answer pointed to Jongsuk. She still couldn’t believe that Jongsuk had the ability to read minds. It sounded like something out of a fantasy story. Her heart fluttered at the thought that someone could hear her voice. Her lips grew into a smile, and she started to feel happy. For all her life, she had lived with unfortunate events occurring daily, and now for once, she found a ray of hope.

Lee Jongsuk, her mind repeated his name over and over again.

She flushed pink and hid her face in her fists. She couldn’t wait until Monday.

-------------

Jongsuk finished drying the dishes he had used for dinner. He grabbed a bottle of orange soda from the refrigerator and went into his bedroom. He flipped through the science notes and tried to finish his lab homework. The scientific formulas broke away and evolved into Minjoo. His mind filled with thought about her.

Her light brown eyes that shined like marbles.

Her pure and susceptible thoughts.

Her heart-shaped face that he could read like a book.

His lips grew wider and wider into a big smile. He hadn’t felt so giddy before. Is this what people felt when they started to love someone? Love? Isn’t it too early to feel that way? Jongsuk leaned back in his chair and held up his right hand in the air. He remembered how she had smiled subtly and took his hand carefully. Her hand was slightly cold, and he wanted to keep her warm forever.

Jongsuk put his hand down and picked up his pencil with a forlorn sigh. Monday will come soon. Let’s just wait until then.

--------

Minjoo’s eyes shot wide open. Her heart raced madly at once. It’s Monday. It’s finally Monday. That means…

Jongsuk flashed across her mind. She sat up with a jolt, towing the blanket off of her aunt. Smiling, she bolted to the bathroom. “That stupid wench…” Her aunt cursed as she irritably dragged the blanket back over her. Minjoo ran her fingers through her dark golden brown hair and touched her cheek. She had never been so eager to be at school.

“Can I be your miracle?” His words made her squeal inside.

Minjoo raced out of the bathroom, grabbed her backpack and shoes, and ran as fast as she could. She hopped on one foot as she tried to adjust her dirty sneaker on her right foot. She glanced at her watch and sprinted even faster.

On the opposite end, Jongsuk came running. Girls squealed at the sight of him, but he paid no attention to any of them. There was only girl who was on his mind at that moment, and he was excited to see her. He couldn’t even sleep properly last night because he had been anticipating their meeting. Jongsuk ran up the hill towards the school gates and came to an abrupt halt. He could see Minjoo running towards the school from the other end. She seemed to be as keyed up as he was. He ducked his head to catch a glimpse of her eyes. Is Jongsuk at school yet? Did he sleep well? Is he as excited to see me as I am to see him? I have to hurry, or the bell will ring! His lips curved upwards at her thoughts. I just came to school. I couldn’t sleep well because I was too wound up by the thoughts of you. I am just as, if not more, excited to see you as you are to see me.

Minjoo arrived at the entrance and skidded to a stop when she saw Jongsuk standing there. Her eyes widened in shock, and she stood there with a gaping mouth. Her heart hammered when he smiled at her. I can see him. He’s here. Oh, no. Did he see me running? Wait…what if he’s reading my thoughts right now?! This is embarrassing! Minjoo planted her eyes on the ground and used the fingers from her right hand to pull her left forefinger.

Jongsuk straightened up and approached her. “Good morning, Park Minjoo.” She lifted her gaze up to meet his and waved with a small smile. The front of her sneaker squished into the cement, and she chewed anxiously on her lower lip. “Should we go in?” Jongsuk asked. Minjoo nodded.

Together, they walked into the gates and headed up the staircase together.

Students whispered and pointed as they passed by.

“Are you kidding me? The new boy and mute maiden are together?”

“What a waste!”

“I can’t believe this! Who would like her?”

Minjoo stopped at the 4th floor. She tapped Jongsuk’s shoulder, and he turned around. She reached into her backpack and pulled out her notebook to write. “I need to go to my locker.” Minjoo showed him the paper. Jongsuk read it and then looked into her eyes. formed into an “O”. Wait, he could read my mind. That means I didn’t have to write this. He must think I’m stupid.

Jongsuk chuckled, amused by her embarrassment. He nodded. “Go ahead.”

Minjoo shoved her notebook into her backpack and scurried towards the locker. She opened her locker and exchanged her science textbook for her math textbook. She grabbed her mate notebook and shut the locker. She gasped when she saw Hyunseok standing there. His eyes were devilishly gleaming, and she stepped back warily. “Is the rumor true, mute maiden? You and that antisocial demi-god are dating?” He sneered. Minjoo shook her head. We’re not dating. We’re just…friends.

“Don’t lie to me. I bet you’re dating him. I knew something funny was going on when he protected you that other day. You’ve got some skills, mute maiden. You’re acting all timid and innocent when you get the new guy in the palm of your hand,” Hyunseok sneered as he advanced towards her. Minjoo shook her head. She scrambled to get her notebook and dropped her books in the process. She bent down to retrieve them, but he stepped on her hand. opened, and her face twisted in agony. She tried to pull her hand out from underneath his shoe, but he wouldn’t release her. Let go of me, Hyunseok. You’re hurting me. opened wider, and tears formed in her eyes.

Hyunseok bent down, grabbed her chin, and forced her to look up. “Why would he like you though? You’re nothing but a mute retard. What on earth would he find fun in you?” Suddenly, he was shoved aside and crashed into the lockers. “!” Hyunseok hissed.

Jongsuk threw him a nasty glare while helping Minjoo up. He looked at her and softened. “Are you all right?” Jongsuk murmured. Minjoo gripped onto her injured hand and nodded.

“I was right! You’re dating her! She tried lying to me, but you can’t foo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter