Chapter 19

I Can Hear Your Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8ttxIDuSfI

Sung Sikyung: Every Moment of You

=================================

Not much progress with Minjoo was made after that.

Kai always tried to find her, but she either came late or was sitting between other people. He made an effort to catch up with her after class, but she always disappeared…just like how the Little Mermaid vanished into bubbles.

The school semester went on, and Minjoo decided it was time to get a job. All this time, she had been able to endure because of Jongsuk’s help and Shinhye’s generosity. Jongsuk had somehow left all his inheritance to her before he had died. All of his possessions had been left in her name, and she had been able to acquire money from that. However, Minjoo didn’t want to depend only on his money and keep burdening Shinhye. So when Minjoo wasn’t concentrating on her schoolwork, she was searching for a part-time job.

One day, she found a promising job online that offered a position of working at a coffee shop. It was nearby her university also, so it would be very convenient. The problem was, would they want to hire a mute girl?

Minjoo got her resume ready and also wrote a small informational paragraph about her situation. She just hoped the café owner would be lenient and understanding about her situation.

On Friday after class, Minjoo stopped to Nature Coffee. It was a small, modern-looking café, and there were only two people working there.

Minjoo took a deep breath and gripped onto her resume. You can do this, Minjoo. You have to. This is one step towards your independence. Make Jongsuk proud. She took out her phone and gazed at the photo of Jongsuk. It boosted her confidence, and she started to smile. I’ll do my best. You’ll watch over me, won’t you? Minjoo took another deep breath and headed inside.

“Welcome to Nature Coffee!” A girl wearing a green apron with a white blouse and a tan skirt greeted. “What would you like?” M

injoo bowed in greeting and pointed to the “Now Hiring” sign.

“Oh, you want to work here?” The girl guessed. Minjoo eagerly nodded.

The girl wiped her hands on the apron and held out her hands. “Can I see your resume?” Minjoo nodded and held it out.

The girl scanned the papers. “Have you ever made coffee before?” Minjoo shook her head.

“Hmm…have you ever worked at a café before?” The girl asked. Minjoo shook her head again.

The girl frowned this time. She read the little autobiography, and her eyes were wide with shock. “You’re mute?!”

Minjoo blushed. This was precisely the reason why she never wanted to tell anybody. Their reactions were always like this, which made her uneasy and embarrassed.

“And yet, you still want to work here?” The girl questioned. Minjoo nodded timidly.

“How are you going to talk to the customers?” The girl demanded. Minjoo bit her lower lip.

“You have to interact with customers and your co-workers. With a disability like this, you can’t do anything. Are you sure you really want to work here?” The girl interrogated. Minjoo felt her self-confidence slipping away, and she was starting to doubt herself.

“What’s going on?” An older girl in the same uniform as the first girl walked over.

“Hanuel unnie, this girl wants to work here,” she stated. “Okay, so?” Haneul asked.

“She’s mute though,” the first girl declared. Minjoo felt Haneul’s gaze sweep over her, and she ducked in embarrassment.

“Do you know how to make coffee?” Haneul asked. Minjoo pulled out her notepad and feverishly wrote something.

‘I will be honest. I don’t know how to make coffee, but if you teach me, I can learn. I know it’s hard to accept someone like me, but please give me a chance. I can work hard, and I promise not to get in the way.’

Haneul read the note and eyed Minjoo. Then her eyes softened with kindness, and her lips tipped upwards. “Okay. Go ahead and start tomorrow.”

Minjoo brightened. “Unnie! Are you sure? What if the manager gets mad?!” The other girl panicked.

“I’ll talk to him about it. Besides, we only needed someone to clean and make the coffee,” Haneul said.

Minjoo bowed over and over again.

Haneul laughed. “All right. I know you’re grateful. Come tomorrow at 9:00, and we can get you started.”

Minjoo beamed, bowed again, and skipped off. She was so joyful that she wanted to scream out loud, but instead, she took out her phone and kissed the screen. I know it was you that helped me. You sent someone else who accepted me as I am. I can’t wait to tell Shinhye unnie the news!

-----------------------

Three weeks passed since Minjoo worked at Nature Coffee. She was a quick learner that even the manager was pleased with her. Her co-workers were wary around her, but they never bullied her. Haneul was a kind mentor, and Minjoo was grateful for her help. Minjoo learned that she was a student at Yonsei University who was majoring in communication. They often met on campus, too, to share coffee and study together.

“Two vanilla lattes, and one green tea coffee!” Yeonhee, the first girl who had been skeptical about Minjoo, called out.

Minjoo went right to work and made the cups in no time. The café became empty after lunchtime, and she used the time to clean the counter.

Haneul came to help her and washed the blenders.

“Unnie, your birthday party is this weekend, right?” Yeonhee piped up with a big smile. “Yeah.” Haneul smiled.

Minjoo stared at Haneul in surprise. She took out a notepad and pen and wrote something.

‘It’s your birthday, unnie?’

Haneul smiled and nodded. “Yeah, it’s this Saturday. That’s why I’m having a barbeque at my house. Oh, I forgot to ask you! Did you want to come?” Yeonhee’s smile faltered. “Unnie…” “What? We’re all co-workers, and Minjoo is my friend, too.” Haneul smiled warmly at her. “Come to my house and have some barbeque.” Minjoo glanced at Yeonhee’s flat expression and shook her head. “Come on. Don’t be shy, and come for a good time. I have some nursing friends, so they may be able to help you. It’ll be fun. Come, please?” Haneul pleaded.

Minjoo couldn’t say no and nodded. “Perfect!” Haneul clapped her hands together.

“We can bring people, right?” Yeonhee asked.

“Sure, feel free to bring anyone you want! My house is big

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter