75장

Irony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When the time came for the week of school to end by the ring of a bell, the entirety of Wings High had learned of the eventful morning during which I had walked into the school with Oh Sehun and Huang Zitao on either side of me. You’d have thought I had murdered them both, strung them up the flag pole, and wiped their blood on my face.

People were befuddled and watching throughout the day. Some kids, having a free period, stopped in front of the window during one of my classes and stared at me like I had two heads. At lunch, I hid out in the third floor girls’ bathroom because I was scared to go anywhere else. Especially anywhere near Oh Sehun. Once again, I was the center of mocking attention like a circus animal.

I couldn’t even go out of the back door when I’d finally managed to get through to my locker because several people were standing outside the exit, waiting to ask Jongin and Tao what was going on. Tao shouted something in Chinese and I saw Zhang Yixing go pale on his way out, elbows raised as weapons.

When I finally got out, I passed the parking lot and saw Luhan with several soccer players. He winked at me, tempting me to really beat him over the head with my backpack. Instead, I headed on to the bus stop by myself since Tao suggested riding home with Jongin, who was skipping his dance lessons due to a waist injury. That was the smartest thing to do and I didn’t protest because I had no proper reasons to.

 

“Grandma called,” Mom said just as I slipped off my shoes inside the door. I assumed she was in the kitchen according to how her voice echoed in from that direction.

I hummed in response, dropping my bag on the floor.

“She wanted to know how you were,” she continued.

I trudged into the kitchen, hungry. Apparently snacking on the food I had received from Sehun that morning had sparked quite an appetite and although I had been tempted to bring the entire bag home with me, I had left it in my locker.

“I’m dandy. What’s for dinner?”

“Pork chops.” Mom pointed at the thawing meat on the black stove. I smacked my lips and nodded in approval.

“Did I hear pork chops?” My dad popped his head around the kitchen door. Mom and I nodded. He smacked his lips and nodded in approval, bringing the rest of his body into the kitchen. “Hui, where’s that boy you brought here the other day?” he asked, taking a seat on a barstool.

I sighed and turned my attention to the fridge. “He’s probably at home with his own family,” I answered, though I wondered if he actually was. He easily could’ve been with Jongin and Tao still.

Dad cleared his throat and pursed his lips as he glanced at my mom. “Do we need to talk?”

My stare flickered between the two of them, one hand on the fridge door that stood wide open, before it clicked.

“No,” I groaned, closing the fridge.

Dad burst out laughing and tapped a hand on the counter. “I’m just kidding,” he said, standing and starting for the door. He patted me on the shoulder as he went. “We all know Choi Eunhui doesn’t even look at boys. What are those anyway?” He made a goofy face and hurried out of the room when I swatted at him.

Mom shook her head, gathering things to start dinner. “Jaeeun said he was pretty cute,” she commented.

With a strangle groan of irritation, I ran from the kitchen. I was halfway to my room when my phone beeped inside my pocket.

Who is this?

I stared at the device in my hand for a few moments, wondering how exactly I was supposed to reply. Then another beep sounded.

Wrong person. Sorry.

I frowned, the sudden thought of what exactly Sehun had me labeled under on his phone popping into my head. My phone clearly said snot, so it was kind of hard to message him by accident. Instead of replying at all, I set the phone to charge and changed out of my uniform before heading back downstairs to toss it in the wash before going to help with dinner.

While setting the table, I couldn’t help but be a little curious to know if Sehun would text me again and not by accident. I was very tempted to check my phone as soon as I finished dinner but I went to wash the dishes instead, thinking a distraction chore could be good.

“I found ten bucks in the washer!” Jaeeun came running out of the utility room as I was finishing the silverware a while later. Her hand was raised high, displaying her find.

“Who left ten bucks in their pocket?” Mom hollered from the living room. “Kanghui!”

Dad was nowhere to be seen, most likely in his office, and I suggested it might’ve been him.

Jaeeun passed me. “Nope. It was Eunhui! I got it out of her uniform.”

I turned off the tap before running after her, dripping water everywhere. “Mine?” I didn’t recall putting money in my uniform.

“Yeah, it was folded in the right pocket,”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter