38장

Irony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

To everyone’s relief, the weather the next week was warmer than before and no one had to wear several layers. I myself left the house on Monday with only a cardigan and tights on under my uniform. But the fact that I no longer needed a scarf (thus meaning that Oh Sehun no longer needed the scarf I had given him) and that I had to attend school had me disgruntled and I felt like shrieking like the little kid next to me on the bus – an urge that got stronger when I made it to school to run straight into the basketball team on the front yard.

“Hey, Eunhui,” Taehyung warmly greeted me, waving slightly.

Just as surprised as the rest of the group of boys, I stopped in my tracks and stared at him. Our lunch the week before had been ruined and no progress had been made towards rebuilding our friendship. It didn’t help that presently things seemed too familiar and my ill feelings towards him were resurfacing and setting me on edge. Part of me wanted to keep away from him to ensure my own protection. But I saw nothing but earnest friendliness in his eyes. So I waved back.

“Hey,” I said, walking over. Releasing a sigh through my nose, I politely nodded at everyone else.

Most of them turned away, pretending they hadn’t even seen me while others ignored my nod and scrutinized me. One of them was Huang Zitao, who raised an eyebrow but quickly backed off when I threw him a look. I really didn’t understand that guy and figured I probably never would.

“Do you want to have lunch again today?” Taehyung asked.

I felt like I should’ve been the one asking that, with a sorry tacked on. Being me, I got annoyed and focused on other things, thus I had practically ignored Taehyung when I had invited him to lunch. Despite everything, I felt bad for doing so and thus agreed to have lunch again. A feat that seemed innocent enough until I realized he meant with him at his lunch table with the VIPs.

“W-Wait,” I stuttered, halting in the middle of the canteen when I realized where he was leading me.

Turning to face me questioningly, he gave me a look. “I promise they’re not all that bad,” he said, nudging me to follow him. Unbeknownst to him, that wasn’t the type of reassurance that I wanted; needed.

However, I proceeded with caution and hoped that by taking this chance, I could gain back the friendship I had (and maybe more) and also the trust. I chose to ignore the people sitting three tables away and practically everyone else. It was uncomfortable being in the VIP section when I knew I didn’t belong and no one wanted me there, and it made me uneasy, causing goosebumps on my skin.

“So you’re a sophomore, right?” Park Jimin asked as we all sat around the basketball team’s table where Park Chanyeol and a few others already sat.

Tearing my gaze away from a few certain cheerleader who were eyeing me, I looked at Jimin and nodded. I hadn’t forgotten that he was the one asking why Taehyung was eating with me last week. He honestly didn’t look too friendly, but I tried not to judge. Only the fact that I had gone to school with him for two years and he was asking me that when he had enjoyed bullying me along with others set me off. He was fooling everyone but me.

Some kid whose name I wasn’t sure of asked, “Has anyone else studied for that test we’re having tomorrow?” He sat on my right side, leaving me between him and Taehyung. I slightly leaned away from him as he began stuffing his face, sending a few bits of rice flying.

Park Chanyeol suddenly slammed his hand on the table. “One of you midgets better give me your notes,” he demanded, one cheek bulging from all the food it was housing.

Taehyung made a face. “Hyung, I already gave you the notes needed,” he said, brow furrowed.

Chanyeol sat up straight, chewing his food. “Oh. Carry on,” he said before turning back to his food.

A few of us eyed the funny-looking captain before returning to our food. I had lost my appetite the moment Jimin began pretending to be my friend, so I merely pushed it towards Taehyung.

“You’re not eating?” he asked, his cheeks causing him to look like a cute baby chipmunk. Giving him a small smile, I shook my head and told him I had had a big breakfast. “Are you sure—?”

A hand came over the top of my head. “If the lady doesn’t want to eat, then don’t pressure her,” Byun Baekhyun said, taking my food for himself. Then he wedged himself between Taehyung and me.

I almost missed the glare Taehyung sent Baekhyun as I looked between the two boys who closely resembled each other. Sending an apologetic look over my shoulder, I shifted to my right, closer to the unknown kid, to get Baekhyun’s elbow out of my ribcage.

“And if the lady doesn’t want to lose weight, then don’t pressure her,” Taehyung snapped, snatching the food from the older male.

Baekhyun snatched it back, mouth full of rice. “What are you yakking about?” he asked, eyes focused on the food.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter