28장

Irony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Surprisingly true to his word, Oh Sehun led me upstairs to a pair of double oak doors, which he knocked on. After several minutes of discussion and introductions, I was seated on an expensive-looking leather couch with Luhan’s father on the coffee table in front of me, a doctor’s bag situated beside him.

“So you’re classmates?” Dr. Lu asked as I removed my jacket, giving him better access to my scraped and sore arm. I timidly held my arm out to him, hoping neither of the males would notice my extra bruises caused by Taeyeon’s posse. Dr. Lu didn’t need to know and I didn’t need Sehun giving me a satisfied look at his girlfriend’s work.

Sehun nodded from the spot where he stood behind Mr. Lu.

“I’m her sunbae,” he answered, eyeing my arm. Though he wasn’t lying with those words, he was indeed playing off our situation. He had explained my need of medical help as I had been clumsy and fallen, instead of taking me to a hospital and causing unnecessary drama, he’d decided to bring me here.

Dr. Lu hummed in response as he examined my arm.

“You sure do bruise easily,” he observed, looking at my bruised forearms. Over his shoulder, Sehun narrowed his eyes at the bruises that had absolutely nothing to do with his driving. I meekly nodded, only to jolt almost completely out of my seat when he twisted my wrist. “Does it hurt?” he asked. I almost laughed in his face. Of course it hurt! I nodded again as he continued to probe at my slightly swollen wrist. “It only seems to be sprained. A wrap on over night should be fine and maybe some painkillers.”

I sighed at the mention of painkillers.

“Excuse me for a second,” Sehun said before heading towards the door. For some reason, fear seeped through my veins again as I watched him leave. It honestly made me uncomfortable being alone with Dr. Lu even though I had no reason to distrust him. I blamed the person that had just vacated the room for my automatic distrust in people. But he had no reason to stay, I guess. He had done his job of getting me treated and now it was only up to the doctor in front of me.  Still, I would’ve felt better if he were in the room: he was someone I was familiar with. Especially since he wasn’t being his usual jerk of a self – he actually acted with respect in front of an adult.

After wrapping my wrist tightly, Dr. Lu handed over a couple of pills and told me I could find a glass of water downstairs in the kitchen. I bowed in thanks as he packed up his supplies. He paused and looked at me.

“Are you hurt anywhere else?” he asked as if it had only just dawned on him that I could be.

My eyes went wide. I quickly shook my head, denying any assumptions he could have been making. Although I had thought of telling him about my bruises and asking advice, I kept my words to myself. Sehun was too nearby; I could easily get caught and then he would be on my case even more.

“Weren’t you limping when you came in?” he asked, his eyes trailing down to my ankle. Realizing he wasn’t suspicious at all like I had feared, I remembered my leg had indeed been hit the front bumper of Luhan’s car and it was sore.

Kneeling down on the floor, Dr. Lu grabbed my ankle gently and lifted it. He slowly lifted my pants’ leg, revealing a small scrape.

“Just a scratch,” he announced, giving me a small smile. He reached into his doctor’s bag and grabbed a band aid. “So are you friends with my son like Sehun?” he asked, unwrapping the bandage.

“Uh . . .” I contemplated barely a moment. “Yeah, sorta.” Nice one.

He chuckled. “My son can be a bit hard to get along with,” he said, placing the band aid on my ankle. I made a face that he didn’t catch. “But you know, he’s only a teenager: he’ll grow out of it.” He smoothed the new bandage with his finger, talking without looking at me.

I cleared my throat, waiting for him to be done. I had no intentions of making small talk about him douchebag of a son – I wanted to go home.

“Thank you for treating me. What do I owe?” I asked. Obviously, I hadn’t thought I would get free doctor treatment.

Dr. Lu chuckled, standing again. “You don’t owe me anything,” he said as he began to pack his doctor bag up. Even though I felt a bit guilty, I was relieved because I didn’t have much money in my jeans’ pockets.

At that moment, the office door swung open and there stood Oh Sehun. Even though it had been probably over a half an hour since the incident, it was odd seeing him standing there, eyeing with me little to no contempt. Maybe it was because he was in front of an adult and trying to be respectful. But it still felt weird being in the same room with him without my ears ringing from insults and mockery because that was what usually followed Sehun in through the door.

To makes things even more odd, Sehun asked, “How much do I owe you, Dr. Lu?” Even though it was in fact the same question I had just asked, the fact that it came from his mouth surprised me. I had indeed asked him to get me treated because it was his fault for hitting me with Luhan’s car, but even so, it still stunned me that he was actually taking responsibility.

However, Dr. Lu only waved him off as well and told us to go downstairs and enjoy ourselves. Bowing in thanks, both Sehun and I exited the room, pretending we were going to follow his advice and join Luhan and the goons. And for me, it was pretending. Sehun had other plans and I knew the switch had been turned back on as soon as he started down the stairs, throwing a few words over his shoulder.

“You’ll be okay here for the night,” he said, long legs taking him away faster than I could process his words.

That wasn’t the answer I had in mind when I had told him to now take me home. And I wouldn’t have even asked if it weren’t for the fact that the time on my phone told me it was already past the time buses ran and I couldn’t walk because I wasn’t sure exactly where I was and I was also in pain. Trailing after Sehun, I tried again.

“Sehun, I’m serious,” I said loudly, seeing him already going down the hallway towards the den where all the boys were. I started to hurry my steps, only to stop abruptly at how much pain it caused to move as fast as I was. I groaned as Sehun disappeared from my sight.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter