22장

Irony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Principal Kim sighed and adjusted his spectacles. My sweaty hands gripped at my skirt as Oh Sehun and I both watched the older man look over a paper in his hand.

“First the, uh, clubroom incident, then the pep rally incident and the basketball game in the same day . . .” The principal glanced at both of us before going back his paper. I gnawed nervously on my lip, wondering how this was all going to end. Had he been keeping track of these things himself or had teachers or other students reported? “Several incidents in the canteen and hallways, but nothing really tops the flyers that were spread around campus last Friday. What seems to be the deal here?”

To my utter surprise, Oh Sehun chuckled and kicked his left leg up over his right knee. Both the principal and I eyed him. “There’s no deal,” he said, tapping his fingers on the arm of the chair he sat in.

“Is that so?” Principal Kim asked, raising his thin eyebrows.

Sehun nodded, looking to me. I was baffled when a friendly smile crossed his face before he looked back to the principal. “Just a bet between friends, to see who could cause the most ruckus. My sincerest apologies if it upset you and the faculty,” he said earnestly.

I wanted to scoff. Oh Sehun was really one despicable person, lying through his teeth right at the very principal of his school. I wondered if there was enough money in the world to get him out of this one if he were to be found out. Of course, I wouldn’t be the cause. Throughout the whole entire meeting with the principal, I kept my mouth shut and let the devil do all the talking. I felt so angry and frustrated with myself for being a coward, but I couldn’t find the will to make myself speak up and accuse Oh Sehun of all his wrongdoings. Because an accusation was all it would ever be; Sehun would find a way out and I would be set back on my pedestal labeled ‘Victim.’

“I’m going to let you two off with a warning,” the old man said, taking off his spectacles before pointing a finger at us. “One more incident and I will be contacting parents. I completely understand that you kids just want to have fun, but keep it off school grounds.”

Sehun bowed lowly. “Of course, sir,” he said before leaving the room. I bowed before hurrying along behind him, lagging just a bit so I didn’t have to walk near him.

Habitually reaching for my phone, I frowned only to realize I had left the device at home in my bedside table with the battery on the highest shelf of my bookshelf. I knew what time the bus came and I feared I had already missed it, especially not knowing the time. Knowing a clock had to be somewhere in the hallway, I jogged down the empty place and scanned the walls until I found one telling me I had ten minutes before the bus came and went.

Cursing several people, including myself, I sprinted whilst trying to ignore the heavy weight of my bag on my shoulder. I bounded through the front doors, wincing as the cold air hit me right in the face and flinching when the doors slammed behind me. Without any hesitation, I flew down the steps, eyes on my pathway ahead. I was two sprints from exiting the campus gate when a movement distracted me.

Turning on my heel, my eyes fell upon Oh Sehun who stood near the parking lot sign he had abused that one time. For a split second, I was afraid he was about to start fussing at me again but then I realized he was only scowling to himself when his right hand dropped from his ear, holding his phone. His lips moved as he dialed a phone number, mumbling about to himself. Looking around the parking lot, I realized he was probably trying to contact one of his dear friends who seemed to have left him behind while we were meeting with the principal. I snickered, wondering why he no longer drove his car, if the rumors of his parents taking it away were true indeed.

With slow steps, I continued heading out of the gate when he exasperatedly shoved his phone into his pocket and began storming in the same direction I was going. My eyes widened before I kicked up speed and got out of there. I ran faster when I glanced at my watch again, seeing I now only had six minutes.

Panting, I made it to the bus stop and rested my hands on my knees. I seriously needed to jog a little more often if I was going to be doing all this running. A frown landed on my face thinking of my late night jog Friday night. And as if I needed to be reminded more of such a scarring moment in my life, a guy wearing the same school uniform as me leaned against the light pole just a few feet from me, breathing heavily.

I glanced sideways at the other people waiting to get on the bus before inching over, away from my classmate. Apparently, no one else found it odd that Oh Sehun was about to board a bus for the first time in a year and a half, at least from what I had seen. Ever si

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter