21장

Irony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I stared at my phone as it began ringing once again. It was 3PM on Saturday; I had just woken up after getting several phone calls all throughout the night, phone calls that came and went all day. People were really taking the ‘Back in Business’ thing way too seriously. They didn’t seriously want me to sleep with them, they just wanted to make the whole situation a little bit worse.

“Can I get my phone number changed?” I asked my parents as we sat around the dinner table Sunday night after church service. I ended up getting a few dirty looks from the elderly in the pews behind my family because I had forgotten to turn my phone off. It was on silent, which I usually got away with, but after many buzzes which vibrated the whole church seemingly, I had to turn the device off.

Dad took a spoon full of the soup placed in the middle of the table. “What for? Didn’t we just get you that phone a few months ago?” he asked.

I nodded, glancing at my sister discreetly then at my mom. I was paranoid that they would ask questions. Surely, if they knew the cause, they would cause a scene. Even more if they knew about Friday night. “I just keep getting a lot of unknown numbers calling me and I think it would just be better to change it,” I said.

Jaeeun laughed. “Sister Im was really eyeballing you after that third ring during the sermon,” she said, eating a piece of chopped carrot. I glared.

Mom shrugged. “I’ll take you sometime next week and get it changed,” she said before starting up a completely different conversation with my dad, therefore leaving me no room to argue. I had actually hoped that it would be done as soon as possible, but I knew if I tried to make a big deal, it would only raise questions that I didn’t want to answer. My phone would just have to stay off until then.

After dinner, I went to Jaeeun’s room to watch her clean up. “Do you have a boyfriend yet?” she asked me as I laid across her bed.

I made a face. “No, boys are dumb,” I replied, playing with the fringe on one of her pillows.

“Oh, you poor child. You’re still in that state of mind?” she asked.

I nodded, watching her put away a few scarves. Before long, those scarves wouldn’t be needed because the weather would warm up. However, the rain coming with April would still keep us all cool for a while. I fought to think of a different subject other than boys. There was only one boy in my life and it wasn’t a healthy relationship.

“What’s with you lately?” Jaeeun asked, sitting down on the bed. Well, not exactly the subject change I was hoping for.

I tried to change my facial expression and make my eyes twinkle. “What do you mean?” I grinned. My stomach rolled.

She shrugged. “You don’t talk much nowadays. I mean, you never really were a person of many words before, but now when you speak up, it’s just nonsense,” she said.

I bit my bottom lip, feeling the sudden urge to cry. I shook my head and smiled at her. “I’m just being a teenager, you know? Mood swings and all,” I joked.

“Idiot,” she said, shaking her head as she stood back up and continued putting things away. I chuckled before continuing my frown when she turned her back.

Monday was no better than Friday. It was all a big fuss of people throwing insults at me and me avoiding everyone at all costs, mostly Oh Sehun. I planned on eating lunch outside, but it started to rain just before the bell rang, leaving me with no choice but to find somewhere to sit in the canteen or in the hallway. I opted for the hallway, got a sandwich, and left the overcrowded room of snobs.

I cringed when I rounded the corner and Kim Taeyeon and her minions were coming out of the restroom. “ . . . I was thinking kimbap, maybe? I know he really likes that,” she was saying.

I inched back around the corner and sunk into a corner. I figured Sehun had told her of his weekend, so I had no plans in letting her taunt me for it.

“I can’t believe it’s already been one hundred days! I’m so happy for you,” her friend squealed. I scrunched my face up, having no clue what they were discussing. My stomach rumbled and I stuck myself closer to the wall, hoping they wouldn’t notice me as they passed by.

“Yeah. Just find a recipe and send it over Kakaotalk,” Taeyeon said. I sighed in relief when she continued walking, not even realizing I had been standing there the whole time. When I heard the door to the canteen slam behind them, I moved along the hallway to my locker.

There was someone also sitting on the hallway floor, eating their lunch. I did a double take when I saw it was Kim Taehyung. His eyes widened slightly when he noticed me, standing there awkwardly. I couldn’t just turn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter